Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Bernie Traurig Clinics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie Traurig Clinics

So I am super excited. In two weeks I'll be headed to Southern Pines to do a two day clinic with Bernie Traurig! This will be my second clinic in my lifetime. First one being Joe Fargis which I loved doing but was slightly disappointed (not his fault) that we were stuck in a gymnastic grid and while I signed up for the 3'3 we were stuck lower due to other horses/riders capabilities, but I figure this is norm as the clinician cannot control who thinks and knows what their horses can do. But I had fun and still learned some things.

So I am curious to know who has gone to one? What to expect? Anything to work on and familiarize my horse before we head down there?

Also any other COTHers going????

Horse:
    I am bringing my OTTB Jumper. War Horse. Currently schooling 1.10m-1.15m at home, showing between 1.0m-1.10m. I have signed up for the 3'6 section of the clinic.

Video from last show:
    https://youtu.be/yu6d6LSMXi8
    Sir Frost, 4, OTTB
    Calm & Collected, 16, OTTB
    Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 20, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 31, TB (RIP 8/30/17)

I haven't been to one, but I would like to go to one. Maybe you can do a report when you're done. I did watch him doing a mini-clinic at the RRP this year, and I enjoyed watching that quite a bit! Good luck.

Comment

I have been to a couple of his clinics and loved them. I think what I liked best is that he was as willing to work with out of shape me just as enthusiastically as he worked with the kids.

Hawaii has a very small horse community, but we get a lot of big name trainers out here for clinics. Something about the whole "Hey, want to come have a working vacation on a tropical island paradise?" convinces them it is worth their time. Bernie is one of our regulars, and definitely my favorite. I can't wait until he comes out again.
      For the horse color genetics junky

Comment

I audited his clinic a couple of years ago and really enjoyed him. He is a traditionalist, turnout should be conservative. He went around putting his fingers in the horses' mouths checking for type of bit, he will ask you why you are using that particular bit and frequently changes them in the middle of the class. He has a tendency to keep referring to his Equestrian Coach business and encouraging people to sign up for it, but he seems so genuinely passionate about it and about teaching in general that I didn't mind. He has so much to offer, I hope you enjoy it.

If you do a search you will find a number of other threads about Bernie's clinics.

Comment

He's a master. Soak it up.
          Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are.

Comment

I rode with him last April, and it's hands-down my favorite clinic I've ever done (and I've done tons, including GM, Greg Best, Jeff Cook, etc).

He loves Thoroughbreds, so you'll get some bonus points there! He's traditional and goes over your tack, wants to see you paying attention and doing what he asks exactly when he asks, and wants to see you try. But he is KIND. So KIND. Tough when he needs to be, but always kind.

There were two riders at this clinic who were seriously out of place. One was a rough and ready (think unclipped, wooly, crazy attire, and not at all qualified for the 3'6 division they signed up for) and one was incredibly overfaced with her horse, who she was quite severe with.

He never lost his patience with them and gave them just as much attention as everyone else. It was the best display of teaching I've ever witnessed.

I learned a lot, he really picked up on several bad habits of mine and rode my butt about them. But I did get the "most improved" comment! I know some others felt like he glossed over them because they executed things well, but I learned just as much watching him instruct others as in what he said to me specifically.

I did sign up for his Equestrian Coach site, and while I haven't used it as much as I should, there's a ton of information on there. If you sign up at the clinic, it's 1/2 price I think.
            Jennifer Baas
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

There are several threads about Bernie Traurig clinics -- check them out and you'll get a lot of good tips!

I've ridden in several of his clinics (and some were better than others) and in all of them, he had the riders wear a head-set. However, it's not always clear who he's talking to, so be prepared for that and stay alert!

Comment

Soooo excited for this with the OP!!!! I think we will have a blast given the location and the clinician!!! I'm sure I will have trouble with my add......I might need an ear piece to keep me focused!!!! Haha!!!!
                Firefighter/Paramedic and proud mom to Financial Legacy, the best OTTB ever!

Comment

Originally posted by egrubbs View Post
                  Soooo excited for this with the OP!!!! I think we will have a blast given the location and the clinician!!! I'm sure I will have trouble with my add......I might need an ear piece to keep me focused!!!! Haha!!!!
                  Your in for a real treat. Bernie is the BEST. Plain and simple, easy to understand, supportive, he wants to succeed. Yes, he checks bits because he believes in the simplest bite on up. He talks about his EquestrianCoach.com web site. A superb tool to review after the clinic. He uses ear buds for the riders. Speaker set up for auditors to hear Bernie. You don't jump the height you sign up for unless the class shows that they are ready. Day one is flat work. Day two is more flat work and small jumps. Day three is your "final exam", show day over fences. Very supportive clinican.
                  I've done 4 clinics with him and soon number five.

Comment

I did one of his clinics and I want to ride with him again!!! He was great... here is my post on it...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...g-girl-panties
                    If you like the distance you see; continue forward. If you don't; stay still and the shorter distance works out. ~GM~

Comment

I did one on my birthday weekend in October! He was amazing.

Conservative turnout, no "gadget bits" as he calls them, and if your horse has prompt upward and downward transitions he will love you. He helped me a lot with getting my rushy green hunter mare to be less rushy and I still practice some of the exercises he used!

Comment

I did his clinic a few weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing. Ditto what others have said, he checks over all your tack and equipment, and if anything looks interesting he asks you why, etc. I was in the green horse group, so we did a LOT of cavaletti work and maxed out at about 2'3" (which was plenty with my greenie). He does encourage everyone to look at different videos and information on his site, but I agree that he really believes in it and the other trainers he has on the site. I love him. So encouraging and kind!

And yes, he is all about OTTBs. He asked me if I wanted to sell my horse, and also if I drugged her because she has such an awesome brain but it felt good to hear him say he liked her!

Some friends of mine did the 3'-3'3" group and were a tad disappointed that they weren't doing the full height, but understood because he was working on detailed issues with them. So it will just depend on how he sees the group..

If any interest, this is some of my clinic video with him: https://youtu.be/dytI34mIUms

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all!!!

This makes me all the more excited! My friend who helps me out riding (we help each other) had her daughter do it a couple years ago and she loved him. Always recommended so when I saw he was coming she said do it and also said he would love Remi. So I am excited.

I do not have a log on, buy my friend does and she lets me use her login so I've watched many of his videos and practiced some of his favorite exercise which luckily my guys brain picks it up right away.

2 more weeks! So EXCITED!!!!!
                          Sir Frost, 4, OTTB

Comment

From what I've see, Bernie has the traditional knowledge and skill of George Morris, without the snarkiness and sarcasm. Have a wonderful clinic and please report back!
                            Savor those rides where you feel like a million bucks, because there will be those where you feel like a cheap date...

Comment

I'll be there too. I'm just in the 3' section though.
                              A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Woohoo COTH Forums party!!! What time is your section? I am in the 2'6" at 8:30 with my baby horse and OP is in the 3'6" section with her jumper in the afternoon!
                                Firefighter/Paramedic and proud mom to Financial Legacy, the best OTTB ever!

Comment

3' goes at 1:15 or so
                                  A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Comment

• Original Poster

My 3'6 goes at 3pm I was told!

Lets all meet up! Should be fun!!! I am so excited!!!!
                                    Sir Frost, 4, OTTB

Comment

We'll def meet up!
                                      Plus, we can socialize at the Saturday dinner.

(I'll be the short, middle-aged one on the chestnut mare --unless I bring the gray mare)

Comment

• Original Poster

Just finished up and headed home now from one of the most amazing experieneces. This clinic was so insightful and helpful. I learned so much both by watching and participating. Bernies helped me and my boy so so much. Wasn't what I had hoped to work on, but other issues were evident and we worked on it. But the changed were amazing in such a short period of time. He wanted us for a private but time and his travel couldn't make it work, but I may see where else he is going local to me and snag one if possible.

I can't wait for the next one, which I hope to be. I'd love for it to be fall so we can practice our homework and he can see eour improvement. He loved my little hot TB, even had some Denny Emerson input as well!

I highly recommend. Amazing clinician and wonderful person. He is stern but in an encouraging way!!! Have tons of video and photos I can post once home!
                                        Sir Frost, 4, OTTB

Comment

Working...
                                        X