Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millbrook Stirrup Leathers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Millbrook Stirrup Leathers?

    I keep seeing these leathers all over Instagram and Facebook:

    http://millbrookleathers.com/product...irrup-leathers

    Does anyone use them (or has anyone seen them in person/tried them)? The description says they help stabilize your leg and are more comfortable than standard leathers (always looking to minimize knee and hip pain). I'm intrigued enough to consider replacing my current leathers for a pair.
    "It's great that you have a favorite animal, but how about picking a cooler one like a horse? Or a miniature horse?"

  • #2
    I quite like them. Takes a few rides to break in.

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Thanks for the feedback! So you see a difference with them vs a traditional leather?
      "It's great that you have a favorite animal, but how about picking a cooler one like a horse? Or a miniature horse?"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SugarRush View Post
        Thanks for the feedback! So you see a difference with them vs a traditional leather?
        Yes I do My legs are definitely more stable with the Millbrook Leathers. The only downside is that if you lose your stirrup it is more difficult to get back.

        Comment


        • #5
          I bought a pair this week! I will report back once they come in.

          (I may have also bought a pair of the aligator lined chaps...)
          Horse&Heeler

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lachelle View Post
            I bought a pair this week! I will report back once they come in.

            (I may have also bought a pair of the aligator lined chaps...)
            Ugh. I've been staring at those chaps!!!!!
            www.thetexasequestrian.com

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              The half chap ads were what initially drew me to their site! Then I found the leathers

              Definitely report back, lachelle! The only reviews I can find online are sponsored, but they do look high quality.
              "It's great that you have a favorite animal, but how about picking a cooler one like a horse? Or a miniature horse?"

              Comment


              • #8
                Reporting back!

                They came lightning quick (which I expected for $15 shipping).

                Out of the bag they were very disappointingly stiff, but softened right up with a little oil and bending them around. I'm 5'1" and SmartPak's 48" leathers are a tad long for me, so I ordered the Millbrook Leathers in a 45". I worried at first they'd be too short, but they are fine.

                They totally live up to the hype. I feel like I have a new leg. You know that awesome feeling when you oil the crap out of your saddle and your leg is glued in place? That's what these feel like. I have a floppy leg issue, no matter how hard I work at it. And today I felt like it was 90% improved just by putting these leathers on my saddle. I'm convinced they are magic.

                The half chaps are also amazing. Luckily for me I measure their standard medium which is 15" x 16" and I was able to get away with not ordering the custom ones. I got the alligator accented chaps. Out of the bag they are very soft. The alligator accent is definitely some type of PU leather but for $79 I expected that. I've never had zippers that run along the back of my calf so getting them on and off will take a little getting used to, but I have no other complaints.

                100% satisfied with my purchase. If someone bumps this thread back up in a few weeks I'll check in again to make sure everything is still great outside of the honeymoon phase.

                Pictures:
                https://instagram.com/p/BMcVZIgDQtZ/

                https://instagram.com/p/BMcUnKfjnBb/
                Horse&Heeler

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have a pair and love them. As others have said it takes a few rides to break them in.

                  Full review on my blog if you're interested.

                  They are definitely worth looking into in my opinion!
                  www.equestrianathart.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Would these essentially do the same thing as the Freejump leathers are supposed to do in stopping the irons (freejump) from turning? They look to be the same idea and I am having a problem with my one stirrup turning on me!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lachelle View Post
                      Reporting back!

                      They came lightning quick (which I expected for $15 shipping).

                      Out of the bag they were very disappointingly stiff, but softened right up with a little oil and bending them around. I'm 5'1" and SmartPak's 48" leathers are a tad long for me, so I ordered the Millbrook Leathers in a 45". I worried at first they'd be too short, but they are fine.

                      They totally live up to the hype. I feel like I have a new leg. You know that awesome feeling when you oil the crap out of your saddle and your leg is glued in place? That's what these feel like. I have a floppy leg issue, no matter how hard I work at it. And today I felt like it was 90% improved just by putting these leathers on my saddle. I'm convinced they are magic.

                      The half chaps are also amazing. Luckily for me I measure their standard medium which is 15" x 16" and I was able to get away with not ordering the custom ones. I got the alligator accented chaps. Out of the bag they are very soft. The alligator accent is definitely some type of PU leather but for $79 I expected that. I've never had zippers that run along the back of my calf so getting them on and off will take a little getting used to, but I have no other complaints.

                      100% satisfied with my purchase. If someone bumps this thread back up in a few weeks I'll check in again to make sure everything is still great outside of the honeymoon phase.

                      Pictures:
                      https://instagram.com/p/BMcVZIgDQtZ/

                      https://instagram.com/p/BMcUnKfjnBb/
                      How durable are the zippers on the half chaps? I couldn't find any information on the zippers on the Millbrook website. Are they heavy-duty metal YKK zippers, or plastic? They look plastic in the photos.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Did you ever purchase these ?

                        They've been on backorder for a while. Finally back up and when I wanted to place an order, a saddle fitter told me they don't look lined and will eventually "eat" away my new saddle!

                        They look really nice and all reviews state they are a miracle for lower leg position!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Has anyone tried the half chaps with piping?! I can't stop looking...
                          ~Veronica
                          "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                          http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I don't really understand them from just the picture. So the part that touches the leg appears to be about twice the width of traditional leathers. Is the increased surface area supposed to increase grip or is there another design element I'm missing?

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              I haven't purchased yet, still thinking and waiting for others to try and review them (in the meantime I snagged some Antares leathers for $50 at Equine Affaire last month ). Definitely keep posting, this is the only review-like thread for these leathers on COTH.

                              Also interested in the half chaps if someone wants to report back on quality, my Ariats are about to kick it.
                              "It's great that you have a favorite animal, but how about picking a cooler one like a horse? Or a miniature horse?"

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Very curious about the quality on the half chaps. Especially the zipper. The way it curves around the calf, I am curious how that works in terms of durability.
                                ~Veronica
                                "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Ya all the reviews I have seen otherwise seem to be on Millbrook site or FB so makes me wonder if they are just...affiliated in some way.

                                  I really wanna snag them!

                                  I hear that the way it's wider where the leg is in contact helps to stabilize the leg in the correct position. Maybe the way it goes from a traditional narrow to a wide base helps the support.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    The wider stirrup leather definitely helps to stabilize my leg and give it something to rest on. It has helped in terms of stability. The wider part of the leather is supposed to give the inside of your calf something to rest on. They feel very sturdy, unlikely to stretch out. If you are looking for buttery soft calf leathers to put on your buttery soft calf leather saddle, these are not the leathers for you. But they pair great with my County and I'm enjoying the added support they give to my weak ankles!

                                    I still love my half chaps, although I never owner half chaps that zip up in the very rear of my leg and that definitely took some getting used to. The zippers felt like they needed to be broken in, if that makes sense, but now they work great, and have held up over the last few month or so. The spanish tops to the chaps are also something I wasn't used to, but they make my stubby little legs look a bit longer and therefor a bit more slender.

                                    Definitely happy with BOTH purchases.
                                    Horse&Heeler

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      I have the worst left ankle!!! I want these SO bad but don't want to ruin my saddle!!!! WHAT TO DO!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Would these ever soften up enough to use on calfskin?
                                        Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X