Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Am I Crazy? Trainer Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I Crazy? Trainer Issues

I'm new to posting here, so please forgive my newb status ahead of time.

I'm having some issues with my trainer and I wanted to bounce them off this board to see if I'm understandably annoyed or if what she's doing is normal. I'm a re-rider that's been back at it for almost 2 years after almost two decades off. I had quite a bit of success as a junior, but admittedly needed several months back in the saddle before I even began to get my "sea legs" back. However, I feel like I'm in a really good place now with my riding and have had some wins and success in the show ring, but my trainer still treats me like I'm a clueless amateur and insists on always getting on my horse before me.

When we go for schoolings she insists on riding him first, and when we show she requires that she ride him the first day or so before I'm allowed to do classes. I've even had the opportunity to do a few clinics, and she wouldn't let me ride in them; she insisted on riding instead. At first I was okay with this, because as a re-rider I thought maybe my rustiness warranted it. Now I'm competently cruising around 1.10 meter courses and am ready to move up, and I'm starting to get seriously annoyed.

My horse is on the younger side (7), but he's far from green, is safe, and is not a complicated ride. I have vastly improved since I've been back in the saddle, and in many ways feel I'm better now than I was as a junior. When I ride and show him, we do very well together. I just don't get it.

I have a few suspicions about this that I will throw out there, but I would really appreciate any additional thoughts. 1) I think she may be having financial problems and uses at least the extra schoolings and show days to get more money out of me. 2) My horse is admittedly very nice and does well and makes her look good.

Am I right to be frustrated by this, or are there reasons I'm not thinking of why she could be doing this? I'm starting to just feel like a sucker that's being taken advantage of for $$ and my nice horse, but I don't want to leave her until I'm sure my feelings are valid. I don't know how to explain it, but I feel like she's trying to get me to foot the bill for the two of them to move up together and do big things, but I've never expressed a desire to support them as a team. I just want to enjoy my own horse and have fun. Anyway, I'm sure I'm leaving out lots of details, so I'll do my best to respond to any questions so this makes more sense. Okay, lay it on me!

Thank you for all you've done to help Dobbin and I. We no longer require your services. Period

Comment

A big red flag for me when selecting trainers is when the trainer wants horses to ride and show for her/him self on the client's nickel.

Yes, trainer rides are called for with a green horse that needs training rides, or for the type of client that needs/wants their horse always perfectly prepped for them. But when you have a made horse and don't need him to be perfect every day for you, the trainer needs to step away from the rides.

I see to much of that "program" these days. The trainer only wants the rider to show up for lessons and shows, ride the prepped horse, and go away and let the trainer have "his/her" horse back.

I see it in my law practice, I see it in the horse world. Professionals that find it far more convenient and lucrative to let their clients feel incompetent.

Tell her Goodbye Felicia!

ETA, most trainers want to get on your horse a day or two a week, but your trainer sounds over the line. Also, your schedule of 2 - 3 days a week is a little light if you want to be more "hands on" with your horse.
      Last edited by ToTheNines; Sep. 23, 2016, 12:51 PM.
      Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

Its natural to "outgrow" trainers. Maybe your two-year mark was it?

I wouldn't mind having trainer rides first day of shows (when horses tend to be rowdy) or on your "off" days. But if you're missing out on clinics because she is not "letting" you ride, than I would be pissed too!?!
        -Kendra
        *Every horse, at least once in their life, deserves to be loved by a little girl*

Comment

It's your horse, you should be able to ride it pretty much whenever you want. If you have a lesson with her, does she insist on getting on before you? This seems like a bit much for someone competently jumping around 1.10 and ready to move up.

I agree that either you've outgrown her or she's trying to get more money out of you. (I think the clinic thing is maybe most damning...does she not want you to see what else is out there for fear you'd move?) All of the trainers I've had have been super encouraging of riding with other (well respected) people.

Comment

Meh, if you're feeling it then it's probably true. Ultimately, as the fences go up there's no reason for the excess wear & tear.

Comment

Have you ever said, "I don't think I need you to school Dobbin today"?

Just checking to make sure communication is happening

If communication is happening and you're tired of her insisting she get on your horse, I'd ditch her. Her not letting you ride in clinics is over the line in my feeling, she should encourage you to advance your knowledge.

Comment

If I comment on this, can I have your word, under penalty of pain or death, that you WILL come back and update us with what happens once you confront trainer/cut ties?

I'm not going to let myself be let down AGAIN.....
                Talking to some people is like folding a fitted sheet.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Dutchmare433 View Post
                  It's your horse, you should be able to ride it pretty much whenever you want. If you have a lesson with her, does she insist on getting on before you? This seems like a bit much for someone competently jumping around 1.10 and ready to move up.

I agree that either you've outgrown her or she's trying to get more money out of you. (I think the clinic thing is maybe most damning...does she not want you to see what else is out there for fear you'd move?) All of the trainers I've had have been super encouraging of riding with other (well respected) people.
                  I've had her get on in a lesson if we were trying to work through something and weren't getting it right away. It only happened a few times, but always in front of others and it was always embarrassing.

You make a good point about the clinics. Part of me thinks it's because she's afraid I'll move, and part of me thinks it's because she wants me to pay for her to show off in front of bigger name trainers.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Obiwan View Post
                    Have you ever said, "I don't think I need you to school Dobbin today"?

Just checking to make sure communication is happening

If communication is happening and you're tired of her insisting she get on your horse, I'd ditch her. Her not letting you ride in clinics is over the line in my feeling, she should encourage you to advance your knowledge.
                    I'm totally changing his name to Dobbin now. Yes, I have communicated my feelings before, but admittedly not as much as I should be. I'm usually very upfront with people, but for some reason I've let this eat away at me more than I should.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by AffirmedHope View Post
                      If I comment on this, can I have your word, under penalty of pain or death, that you WILL come back and update us with what happens once you confront trainer/cut ties?

I'm not going to let myself be let down AGAIN.....
                      Ha! Yes, I'll update the board. Let's hear your thoughts!

Comment

You need to make your wishes known:

"No need to get on Blaze first today - I want to see how we do without the tuneup. Thanks."

"I'll do him in the warmups, thanks - I want to get myself in the groove before the real classes."

"Blaze and I are going to the clinic this weekend - will you be there?"

Yes, I think your trainer is taking some advantage of you. No one should be telling you that you _can't_ ride your own horse.

Comment

A "money grubbing control freak"???? I'd be gone!! You are apparently not the "lead line" candidate she is treating you like!! Hope your "next" instructor is more educational!!
                          www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                          Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

I did not realize that she was having you to pay for her to ride in clinics. Screw her. It's a huge pet peeve of mine when trainers make their clients pay their clinic fee because they said so. If she wanted to ride your horse with someone she has the ability to say "Hey, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind if I rode Dobbin with This Cool Trainer Guy, I think he's an awesome horse". Not ok for her to have you fund her own lessons.

I vote you find someone who's not a poop-head.

Comment

This definitely has a few different potential Scenarios, but I don't really think any are ideal. My thoughts:

1) she has built up your confidence on a horse that is slightly too much for you, that she loves, and rather then disclose this she is trying to hide it by always giving you a tuned horse to keep your confidence up and cash flowing.

2) she is trying to convince that you need her bc you have out grown her, and she wants to keep control, thinking that will keep you as a client bc you will think you NEED her and can't ride your horse without her

3) she loves your horse, might be the nicest horse she has had or currently has, and is using your funds to promote herself under the guise that she is bringing you along together. This could have varying levels of intention behind it.

4) you are totally unrealistic about your riding skills, and she has given you a false sense of competency and is now afraid to tell you to take a step back (prob not the case if your doing well at shows in the 1.10)

The clinic thing is really the red flag for me too! I absolutely think it's acceptable for trainers to get on horses the first day or two of a show, and some trainers do require this of their clients, but this should be communicated ahead of time. It sounds like you are always a bit surprised at how much she needs to get on your horse and that is definitely an issue. Time for a serious talk with trainer, being kind but direct, tell her your concerns and then if you still
                              Do not feel good about what's going on, it's time to trainer search!
                              Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then ALWAYS be a unicorn.

Comment

5) she's holding you back so she can use your horse to make her look good and she gets to rack up the billing at the same time.

I sure hope that you have other choices where you are located. You need someone who respects you.

Comment

IMO MtnDrmz and babecakes have pretty much covered the bases.

I think she's either coveting your horse and wanting to enjoy him herself, or else #4).

I think I'd probably take a lesson on him with another trainer to get another opinion of my riding to ensure it's not #4). Or I'd ride him myself in clinics and get feedback from the clinician.
                                  Rack on!

Comment

You need a new trainer.

It's your ride, your horse, your life. You have abundant riding experience, you are 'expert' compared with most of the people sitting on horses in this country, and you don't need this trainer/money-sinkhole living this part of your life for you.

If you are capable of loading your horse in a trailer and driving away to a new, more confidence-inspiring trainer who encourages independence and horsemanship, you most definitely do not need your present trainer.

It is easy to make this mistake in choice of trainer when you are getting back into riding after so long away. You no longer know the names and reputations (indeed, you may not even be in the same part of the country where you rode growing up). But once you get it all back, it's time to make the move to what is good for your own journey.

Your riding experience is not about your trainer. It isn't even about your horse. Your riding experience is about YOU. Do whatever you need to do to enjoy and grow!

Comment

Originally posted by HayHay View Post
                                      ... but I don't want to leave her until I'm sure my feelings are valid. ...
                                      Your feelings are valid.

Your trainer wants to make your world of horses all about HER. But in fact she has little to do with what you want in your own riding experience.

There are plenty of horse professionals who can do a better job for you - and make it all about YOU. That's the trainer you are looking for.

Your inner instinct is right on. Go forth and ride happy!

Comment

I really think you should start off giving her the benefit of the doubt. It's very easy to think of all the evil agendas other people might have when we feel stuck or unappreciated. In reality, she's probably doing what she thinks is best - she might happen to be having some fun at it, but if you've been with her for 2 years, you'd know by now if she was the conniving type.

Here's what I think is probably going on: Horsey is a little fresh off the property, like most are. Rather than let his extra energy combine with your show nerves (as a general population, us riders have show nerves, so even if you're in the small minority that doesn't, she will assume you do) and give you both some new things to be afraid of, she'll just ride the edge off and put you on to have a great experience. Gives you a good day, gives the horse a happy memory, and might hang some ribbons on the wall. That's really what a trainer is there to help you accomplish.

Clinics are a chance to get Horsey some more miles, a good school, and an extra opinion on how he's coming along. If this is a horse without a lot of experience above your current level, she's likely trying to keep him one step ahead of you so that you aren't cruising around new heights for the first time together.

I think you should really just ask. "Hey, I'm interested in riding Horsey in the next clinic. What do you think we need to do to get ready for that?" or "I'm interested in doing Horsey's schooling in the morning at shows. Can I try it on Sunday of the next show? If not, what do I/we need to work on to get there?" It's worth hearing her out, and if you don't like what you get in response, you can still leave.
                                        If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Comment

Working...
                                        X