• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trainer rules about Matching Gear?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainer rules about Matching Gear?

Does your trainer/barn have rules on matching gear?

My brother just bought a pre-green hunter that is in training with a trainer out of state. Apparently, when she picked up the Hanovarian mare and met with my brother, she gave him a list of "requirements" which included certain color and embroidered sheets and blankets, certain color leg wraps, a certain type of tack box, etc. etc. My brother's stuff has compiled into mine over the years and so he needed to purchase all new things anyways, but has anyone else encountered this? Let me give you an example from the list:
    REQUIRED FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL HORSE, REGARDLESS OF OWNER SITUATION
    -1 Medium Sized Warner Trunk with custom panelling (see me about contact ordering info); Triple Crown trunk cover in these colors (A and B, left out intentionally not to have the trainer recognizable) with this logo and (or) monogram. Trunks which owner previously acquired are acceptable as long as: any previous logo panels are stripped and replaced with correct panelling OR (if wood) correct trunk cover is purchased. Note: Must be standard medium sized.

Yikey!

Thanks,
    She's Got Questions
    {you've got answers}
    Thanks,
    She\'s Got Questions
    {you\'ve got answers}
  • Original Poster

Does your trainer/barn have rules on matching gear?

My brother just bought a pre-green hunter that is in training with a trainer out of state. Apparently, when she picked up the Hanovarian mare and met with my brother, she gave him a list of "requirements" which included certain color and embroidered sheets and blankets, certain color leg wraps, a certain type of tack box, etc. etc. My brother's stuff has compiled into mine over the years and so he needed to purchase all new things anyways, but has anyone else encountered this? Let me give you an example from the list:
    REQUIRED FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL HORSE, REGARDLESS OF OWNER SITUATION
    -1 Medium Sized Warner Trunk with custom panelling (see me about contact ordering info); Triple Crown trunk cover in these colors (A and B, left out intentionally not to have the trainer recognizable) with this logo and (or) monogram. Trunks which owner previously acquired are acceptable as long as: any previous logo panels are stripped and replaced with correct panelling OR (if wood) correct trunk cover is purchased. Note: Must be standard medium sized.

Yikey!

Thanks,
    She's Got Questions
    {you've got answers}
    Thanks,
    She\'s Got Questions
    {you\'ve got answers}

Comment

But why a Medium Trunk?
      I thought everyone bought the Large size? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
      http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
      http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
      [url]
      Starman Babies

Comment

Yes, many large barns have such requirements. And even more have such unspoken requirements.

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
        <3 Justice Served <3
        <3 Nip N Tuck <3

Comment

and what if someone poor but handy had a lovely trunk, in wood, and made a cover? OR....horrors.....what if someone just couldn't AFFORD to buy all new colors of items?

HOW common is this? And what level/price of boarding are we talking about? I noticed "assorted color" trunks outside the stalls at WIHS, so it can't be ALL "A" circuit barns that do this. I can tell you that I certainly could not afford to replace my horse's tack box (a nice Rubbermaid one, btw) or clothing for any such trivial nonsense as this.

Comment

Barns tend to like all of their stuff to match so many pressure you into buying new tack trunks. Having been at a number of barns and dealt with this a few times, I just started refusing. Those things are bloodly expensive - I had nice wooden trunks from one barn that I was at, and after removing the logo on the front of the trunks they did not clearly indicate which barn I had previously trained with. I kept them at barns subsequent to the one at which I had acquired them. Most barns have an aisle in which they will "hide" the non-matching tack turnks.

That said, I finally capitulated and bought new trunks last year when I decided that I was going to be at this barn for a while and my old ones were getting disreputable. If you have trunks with colored panels and you want new colored panels, you can just have the new panels made and that cuts down on the expense. Also, I took a colored panel trunk (green and yello - ick) and had it turned into a wood trunk.

Comment

I sold my panel trunk and bought a wood and brass trunk. I will change covers if I HAVE to, but I am not buying a new trunk.
              But I agree on things matching. It is pretty. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
              http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
              http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
              [url]
              Starman Babies

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hopeful Hunter:

HOW common is this? And what level/price of boarding are we talking about? I noticed "assorted color" trunks outside the stalls at WIHS, so it can't be ALL "A" circuit barns that do this. I can tell you that I certainly could not afford to replace my horse's tack box (a nice Rubbermaid one, btw) or clothing for any such trivial nonsense as this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's quite common. At WIHS, the shipping rules made it so that very few barns had more than one or two horses there at a time, and you weren't allowed any tack or grooming stalls, so there was more than one barn to an aisle, accounting for the "assorted colors", and for "creative" storage solutions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
                At our barn, we encourage matching colors for trunks, and STRONGLY encourage them for show clothes (ie if you don't own the proper color cooler it's coming to the ring wearing someone else's). However, with barn blankets it's not a big deal, and the off color trunks just get hidden in the back. Those things beyond help get accidentally left home until someone gets smart [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hopeful Hunter:
                  and what if someone poor but handy had a lovely trunk, in wood, and made a cover? OR....horrors.....what if someone just couldn't AFFORD to buy all new colors of items?

HOW common is this? And what level/price of boarding are we talking about? I noticed "assorted color" trunks outside the stalls at WIHS, so it can't be ALL "A" circuit barns that do this. I can tell you that I certainly could not afford to replace my horse's tack box (a nice Rubbermaid one, btw) or clothing for any such trivial nonsense as this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The people that can afford to board at these barns to begin with are usually people who can afford to buy all new items

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
                  &lt;3 Justice Served &lt;3
                  &lt;3 Nip N Tuck &lt;3

Comment

I've heard of this, but it's nothing I've experienced. My barn has colors, but my individual colors seem to be "whatever is on sale." Those people who go away overnight to show pretty much just have stuff that's "presentable." And my trainer is quite adamant that tack and attire will be well fitted, clean, and matching (though she doesn't go so far as to insist tack all be the same brand, you just can't have a "havana" martingale, "honey" saddle and "nutmeg" bridle--unless it's all been saddle soaped enough that it all pretty much looks the same).

Good thing I'm not at one of these top barns! Whatever would they think of my giant rubbermaid? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] (Although I wonder whether that would be considered "presentable"--good thing I'm not going to any overnight shows yet!)

Comment

It is common but usually if you put your foot down they won't MAKE you purchase all new stuff right away. The trainer can also recommend people who aren't at her barn anymore or who quit riding that have used merchandise to sell (especially trunks). ali

Comment

I know this is common practice at a lot of barns but I think it is ridiculous. I own the horse and I pay the bills so when he goes to the ring he is going in the cooler or fly sheet that are MY colors and I have no interest in buying stuff in someone else's colors (they probably aren't as pretty as mine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ). Oh well, I guess it is a good thing that I don't ride with a BNT.

~One day my mind just wandered and it never came back~
                        Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
                        Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

We are a fairly large stable with 30 plus boarders and over 100 students. When we first moved here a year ago, all sorts of RUMORS started flying about us. LIKE........... we made our students wear proper attire to school. that we were required to have barn shirts or you could not ride, that we INSISTED that all horses had matching colors....I could go on and on....
                          When it all comes down to it....if the kids want to ride in sport bras and chaps...more power to them, I am the guilty one of mis-matching polos, as well as taking the kids to the tack shops and buying the most wild patterns we can find!
                          Matter of opinion...yes....BUT I would hope that any trainer would be more concerned with the horse being comfortable, properly trained and taken care of rather then color matching.
                          [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Is this just another form of control over the owner for the BNT?

After all, if you just sunk $2000 extra into getting the required equipment and matching trunks, wouldn't that be one more little reason that would make a person want to stay?

Who knows...it probably does look pretty, and full training w/ some of the BNTs is probably in the stratosphere (for me) anyway. I'd say if you are scrimping your pennies to afford your horse, you aren't worrying about sending a horse to a BNT for full training. What would that run? $1000/month training+show expenses+board/vet/shoes? So, to field a horse w/ a BNT runs what? 1500-5000 a month? I'm just guessing, so feel free to correct my guesses.

So, I guess if you are at that level of the game, you just pay up the next level. Kinda like that country club membership where you are required to use $xxx per month at the bar/restaurant and you pay that whether you use it or not.

Comment

You would think these damm places would get wise and RENT this stuff to their clients at inflated prices! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
                              Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

most everything in our barn matches, like blankets, coolers, trunks, drapes, etc. and if someone has a diff. color trunk or blanket....o well, its easy to get the trunk re-paneled w/o having to buy a whole new one. and for those who already have blankets when they come to our barn, if they dont match who cares, but if you are going to go buy something new, you always buy the barn colors to start with. so my trainer tries to make most things match so it all looks nice.

~*~Rosey~*~
                                Who's That
                                Picasso
                                Code of Honor
                                Mikhail
                                http://www.willowayfarm.com

Comment

MAybe it's all a conspirancy, and each barn gets a 10 % commision for every tan and green trunk they sell!!

Disclaimer, that tan and green was JUST an example, am not refering to any particular barn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
                                  &lt;3 Justice Served &lt;3
                                  &lt;3 Nip N Tuck &lt;3

Comment

Questions:

Does your horse have to match the other horses?

Will your horse be evicted if he has *gasp* uneven socks?

Have you noticed that all the other riders have this funny goose step and none of them have new boots?

If this trainer will bring your brother to the top and he can afford it and live with it, go ahead.
                                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Why don't barns rent the trunks and misc. gear (and charge you for any damages incurred), or have them pre-made and sell them to customers at inflated prices? ie: "We even save you the trouble of ordering the trunk, paying for shipping, and waiting for it to get here; we already have some available!"

But I think that for the big show barns, matching stuff (or at least sensible stuff, like wood trunks) are important. At my barn, there is a prime example WHY: a boarder, who subsequently sold her horse and all its belongings to the barn owner, had a custom trunk made in NEON PINK [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] with the trim, monogram, and her full name on top IN TEAL. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I mean, the thing practically glows in the dark. When the barn doors are open, you can see it from the road (approx. 200 yards away) when you drive by! It is blinding to look at, it's so obnoxiously bright. I can't imagine ANY trainer allowing that thing in their tack room at a show, or in the aisle at their barn (at the barn where the horse was previously boarded, the trunk was hidden away in a back garage, with the excuse that there was "no room" in the barn. We thought that was odd until we went to the garage to help her bring the trunk up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ).

With regards to the pink trunk, does anyone know where you can order new custom panels, and how much they cost? I know the barn owner is VERY interested in having this done. Right now, she tries to diffuse its glow under a big navajo pad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But this is a prime example as to why some people sometimes aren't allowed to have their own custom-colored trunks at big show barns. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Sara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull." -Bart Simpson

Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron

Comment

Well, this is a great opportunity for me to vent! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

My trainer just called to inform me she wants $75.00 up front for "supplies" for the away show (i.e., landscaping) plus $27.00 for my horse's stall nameplate that matches every one elses. Okay. I have umpteen horses that invariably get shown at some point. Can't they masquerade as each other? Like, is someone really wandering the barn aisle reading nameplates? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Well, wait til my trainer finds out that I no longer have my big Warner's trunk. And the cover that matches her show colors doesn't fit the trunk I AM bringing, so I guess I'll be the hoodlum once again, stuck at the end of the barn, with a wool cooler draped over the top of the trunk lest it upset the barn's feng shui.

I can't wait for show season to be over so I can just ride my palomino on the trails. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                        X