• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Braiding at "A" rated shows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braiding at "A" rated shows

Here is my question. Recently at an "A" rated show I saw only 2 horses/ponies that had their tails braided. Is this standard now to only braid the mane? And there were several who didn't even have a mane braided and showed. And what is the normal charge for braiding at a rated show (mane only)?

Was this this winter? The A shows in my area (Raleigh, Lexington) waive braiding for their winter shows. I think I saw one person braided last week. It's too darn cold for the braiders and a lot of the ones in our area are in the South for Gulf Port, WEF, Ocala, etc. We start braiding in March. If it was NOT recent you could have seen horses in non-recognized divsions like Hopeful, Schooling, Low, etc. If the horses are just going in those people often do not braid.

Tail braiding is ALWAYS optional, no matter what division. If your horse has a really nice tail and it looks nice unbraided it's one place to cut out a few dollars. Sadly, my horse's tail looks like the one you use to Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
    see my ribbon quilts at: www.ribbonquilts.com

Comment

conformation day

Some people only braid tails on the conformation day. Usually this is either people trying to keep cost down or people who show alot and are trying to save the horses tail. We braid tails and mane both days, but the pony has a really nice tail and it seems to hold up OK.

Comment

If the horse is just doing a low or schooling division, we don't braid. In the winter, we only braid manes. My horse doesn't have the greatest tail, and it saves his tail for the big summer shows. More and more people in our area are starting to braid tails all the time though. A few years ago no one braided tails at our winter A series, but now it is not uncommon to see tails braided. However, the majority still don't braid the tails. Around here, a mane braid is $45.
        http://community.webshots.com/user/lilbayhunter

Comment

westchester/fairfield county - we pay 75 for mane and tail, 45 for just mane. This winter we are not braiding. It's so hard on the horses hair. Have been to two A rated shows this year and we counted 2 kids with their horses braided - out of 16 in the class. (big eq) I think if turnout is clean and well put together, braiding is not an issue. I am pretty sure tails for eq were only done for finals last year. But manes done for all the bigger summer shows - FCHC, OX, OSF, Lake Placid, etc. Daughter was in Canada doing jumper classes and what a different look the "jumper braids" were. I really liked that look, and much easier to take out!

Comment

I know in this area many don't braid tails in the winter to save the tail. Plus the shows are smaller. They want it to look good for the bigger outdoor shows. Some don't braid for the unrated divisions either. I would say most are braided for the rated stuff unless it's a filler horse.

Manes are $45 around here.
            "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Comment

Have been several threads on this lately including one big circuit going "optional" to save a riduculously small amount and drive the braiders out of business.

Anyway, rated shows offer alot of unrated classes where braiding has always been your choice-and the choice of most is not to braid.

Those that do braid for non rateds usually just do the mane.

Even in rated divisions, most just braid the mane unless it is hack day or they are Conformation Hunters or going to Model in the Ponies. Now, if you are in a Classic, Derby or some other marquee type class, or at Indoors, yeah, you braid it all.

It is way hard on the horse's hair, remember many of these show at least 2 weeks a month and at least 3 days at each show-it tears the hair up in both mane and tail.

Braiding runs about 30-40 for the mane and a little less for the tail but the cost really is miniscule and not why many are not braiding like they used to when they only showed 1 or 2 days once a month.

And nobody is going to think anything one way or the other about anybody else's choices because it is just that, a choice. Nobody cares that much.
              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                Braiding runs about 30-40 for the mane and a little less for the tail but the cost really is miniscule and not why many are not braiding like they used to when they only showed 1 or 2 days once a month.
                Well, not really. Try 45 for mane, 30 for tail. Do that for just a weekend, and that's $150 per horse, then add in a professional division, and now we're running $300/week per horse.

If you're going to a one week show, that's not a lot of $$ in the big picture, but over 2 weeks, $600, and so on. If you're trying to afford an entire winter circuit, one week's braiding bill could possibly be the cost of a plane ticket to fly down and back.

Comment

I braid myself...not because I want to...but because Im broke lol. It really DOES save money!!

Here, for the core divisions tails are always braided....sigh, I prefer the bare look. My horse looks like he has a braided rat tail....I really need to get him an extension....

Comment

At our barn, we braided as follows:

No braiding for warm-up divisions like low, schooling, etc.

Mane only for non rated 'real' divisions (pre-green, children's hunter, anything 3'), except for classics

Mane and tail for rated hunters (Green and Working Hunters, and Juniors).
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Comment

I agree; we braid manes for all hunter and eq classes; tails get done for hack day, classics, and derbies (in other words, the "big" classes.) If we did tails for every class, the horses would have have no tail left by the end of the season.
                      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by horse show mom View Post
                        Here is my question. Recently at an "A" rated show I saw only 2 horses/ponies that had their tails braided. Is this standard now to only braid the mane? And there were several who didn't even have a mane braided and showed. And what is the normal charge for braiding at a rated show (mane only)?
                        I've noticed the same thing at the few A shows I've attended (strictly to spectate) this year, summer and fall. Virtually no tails, and far fewer manes than I'd expected were braided. We were talking about it, and the consensus seemed to be that it was still the official norm for hunters at A-rated shows, but in reality people were sort of 'sneaking away' from it at all but the biggest shows. There seemed to also be a consensus that it was sad.

Comment

Whats sad is the size of the check you have to write to the braider. 140.00 for one mane and two tails at the last show.
                          "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                          carolprudm

Comment

I am liable to get slammed for this, but I can't sit silent anymore!

I grew up in Zone II, showing everything from the A to C level shows. We braiding for everything except unrated schooling shows. Those of us that didn't want to spend the money on braiding, learned how to do it ourselves.

I now live in Zone III, and took a customer with a Large Green Pony to an A show a few weeks ago. On conformation day, we were the ONLY one braided - not only in our division, but almost on the entire showgrounds. I was hard pressed to find three other horses braided anywhere around. We braided the second day as well - because it is what I feel is proper - and again, we were the only ones braided.

What happened to the "tradition" of this sport? What happened to the days of being turned out to the best of our abilities no matter what level we were showing at? Isn't that what SHOWING is?

If it is a financial strain to pay a braider, then learn how to braid - or *GASP* scale back the amount of showing you do!

Ok, flame away.
                            Lesley M. Jenks
                            Finally Farm ~ Located at Yates Mill Farm
                            Raleigh, NC
                            www.finallyfarmnc.com

Comment

it's pretty cold for a braider, unless maybe youre in FL or something. but, then again, i often don't see many tails braided at A shows, and sometimes even at AA shows. i almost always see a braided mane, its rare to find an unbraided horse, atleast here at spring and summer A shows. i don't go to As in the winter, so i dont know.. anywho. manes = braided @ A shows. mane & tail = braided @ AA
                              (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

In the winter - we braid only for the A rated divisions and don't do the tail. For the summer big A shows - we braid mane and tail for alll the rated divisions

Comment

Winter Raleigh shows are always unbraided. As soon as March rolls around, everyone will be dolled up as per usual. Nice break for the wallet. I braid mane every day unless it is an unrated division that isn't in the big ring. Tails get done on hack days. If/when he does the first years this spring, he'll have mane and tail both days. It's just so sharp looking.
                                  -Grace

Comment

I went to a local B show and was surprised to see almost everyone with their manes braided. I didn't see the beginners go but I only saw one children's hunter with an unbraided mane and the jumpers. Everything else was braided.
                                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

If we are HORSE showing, we braid [manes]. We only do tails for certain classes/occasions. I love how the tails look though, so was just asking my clients if we wanted to do them more often, but are thinking it is best to save them, as it is hard on them...but we may through a braided tail in through out the season just for the fun of it.
                                      www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
                                      Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
                                      "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeTurnedHillbilly View Post
                                        I am liable to get slammed for this, but I can't sit silent anymore!

I grew up in Zone II, showing everything from the A to C level shows. We braiding for everything except unrated schooling shows. Those of us that didn't want to spend the money on braiding, learned how to do it ourselves.

I now live in Zone III, and took a customer with a Large Green Pony to an A show a few weeks ago. On conformation day, we were the ONLY one braided - not only in our division, but almost on the entire showgrounds. I was hard pressed to find three other horses braided anywhere around. We braided the second day as well - because it is what I feel is proper - and again, we were the only ones braided.

What happened to the "tradition" of this sport? What happened to the days of being turned out to the best of our abilities no matter what level we were showing at? Isn't that what SHOWING is?

If it is a financial strain to pay a braider, then learn how to braid - or *GASP* scale back the amount of showing you do!

Ok, flame away.
                                        [/requisite nostaliga for every thread on braiding]

Comment

Working...
                                        X