• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Momitored compound stabling for Eq. horses @ Harrisburg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momitored compound stabling for Eq. horses @ Harrisburg

Re: Horse of Del.Val. Pg. 30 How about THAT!
  • Original Poster

Re: Horse of Del.Val. Pg. 30 How about THAT!

Comment

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....what about what?????

http://www.foxpointefarm.com
      http://www.go-sho.org
      [url]http://www.horseshowbiz.com
      [url]http://www.ijumpsports.com

Comment

This sounds like it could be an interesting topic for everyone.

Can you please provide some more info for those of us in other areas of the country that do not know this publication?

I can sort of guess what you are speaking of, but more info will be helpful

_\\]
        -- * > hoopoe
        The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
        _\\]
        -- * > hoopoe
        Procrastinate NOW
        Introverted Since 1957

Comment

• Original Poster

"This year, for the Medal Finals, horses will have to be in the Farm Show Arena by noon on Sat., the day before the Finals. All equitation horses will be stabled together in one compound and will be monitored around the clock for feeding, watering and exercise" Maybe someone can copy the whole article. Quotes Carol Thompson (last years judge) as saying "instead of the juniors preparing their horses themselves, often those horses are ridden almost all night the night before by the trainers to get them to behave perfectly" The article ws written by Sara Cavanaugh Ed.

Comment

IT'S ABOUT TIME...WE WILL SEE THIS HOPEFULLY TRICKLE DOWN THROUGH THE ENTIRE SHOW SCENE. IT'S GOING TO COST US BUT EVERYONE WILL SLEEP BETTER AT NIGHT.

Comment

Wow, this will put a crinkle in at least two barns that i know of that school off the grounds "extensively" all day saturday.

Its about time!

Remember ... even a small step forward is better than no forward progress at all in the quest for knowledge and my opinion may differ from yours ... this is fine but respect my opinion as I do yours.
              "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
              carolprudm

Comment

Utter nonsense.Who are these experts who will determine what is best for over 200 INDIVIDUAL horses with different needs.Sounds like the FEDERATION is again going to take it upon itself to tell owners,riders,trainers,grooms,farriers and veterinarians how to care for train and medicate their own horse or pony.How Absurd and dangerous.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by upperco:
                  Utter nonsense.Who are these experts who will determine what is best for over 200 INDIVIDUAL horses with different needs.Sounds like the FEDERATION is again going to take it upon itself to tell owners,riders,trainers,grooms,farriers and veterinarians how to care for train and medicate their own horse or pony.How Absurd and dangerous.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Utter nonsense? I don't know about all that...sounds to me like the management is just choosing to take a stand against cruel or unfair treatment of the animals involved, and has decided that monitoring them for this (brief) period is the best way to go about doing that.

I have not read the whole article, but it does NOT seem likely that there are going to be "experts" telling riders, grooms, vets etc. what to do with their horses. It is far more likely, (IMO), that they will simply assure that horses will be given proper care/treatment, in the sense that none will be deprived of food or water (in order to "get the quiet"), or excessive (multiple hour) "training"/"schooling"/lunging and/or cruel training methods.

I think this could be a very commendable step towards upholding the stand the USEF is trying to take against cruelty/abuse. It will certainly (and rightly) discourage illegal use of meds. It will also ensure that all schooling is done on the grounds, so that any abusive behavior can/will be observed by stewards and the appropriate punishments will follow.

As long as these riders/trainers aren't doing anything illegal or inhumane, they should have nothing to worry about. I think this is a great example to set for the riders-many of whom will go on to become professionals/actively involved in the sport for years to come. It encourages them to practice good horsemanship, and not look for an easy way out (ie: having someone wear their horses down all day and night until they are dehydrated and tired).

Grand Prix's require that horses are on the grounds for the 24 hours prior, and other big events for juniors, such as the NAYRC require a whole lot more! That finals is run under FEI rules, and thus they are subject to zero-tolerance drug testing, soundness inspections, etc.

With all the issues with abuse/drugging etc. that have come to the surface of the USEF collective consciousness recently, I think it seems perfectly appropriate that such an important show adopt measures to take a stand against such issues-particularly when juniors are involved.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by upperco:
                    Utter nonsense.Who are these experts who will determine what is best for over 200 INDIVIDUAL horses with different needs.Sounds like the FEDERATION is again going to take it upon itself to tell owners,riders,trainers,grooms,farriers and veterinarians how to care for train and medicate their own horse or pony.How Absurd and dangerous.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you know that people will literally have the horses ridden all night long or all day the day before? Literally. I know horses who weren't given food or were given just barely enough water to help take the edge off. It sucks for the horse pretty bad if you ask me.

--------------------------
                    I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
                    -- John Keats
                    --------------------------
                    I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
                    -- John Keats

Comment

i think it will have little to no impact, whatsoever, because the *majority* of horses are cared for beautifully and, while possibly medicated (it's the end of a long year for those guys), they are legally medicated. The riders who have been winning all year are still going to win, if there's a cinderella story its not going to be because of this stabling method...

so, what will this rule do? it will only effect the FEW horses that are treated HORRIBLY, and since no one is "hurt" by this rule that shouldn't be, it's a good one.

BoR:
                      "I always feel like an idiot. But I am an idiot, so it kinda works out."--Billy Madison

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."--Churchill

Um, I don\'t spell check. Deal with it.

Comment

Perhaps this will keep the occasional horse from dropping dead from exhaustion and dehydration. Even better, maybe this will help catch the people whose horses collapse and seize on the floor from the calcium shots in the morning then go into the classes and win in the afternoon.

Comment

why stop at the eq horses? another words, shouldn't all the horses be treated the same? i would think the problem extends farther than just the eq ring. jmho!
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/pringle02
                          http://www.elysianfieldsinc.com

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by noname:
                            why stop at the eq horses? another words, shouldn't all the horses be treated the same? i would think the problem extends farther than just the eq ring. jmho!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but eq horses are notorious for getting the crap ridden out of them..why do you think riders have multiple eq horses? Because one horse alone can't take that pounding!

Amanda
                            "Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

Comment

I have always wondered about depriving horses of feed and water before a class - that, for my horses, ALWAYS makes them MUCH worse (OK - I don't deprive, but I have had enough long days at shows where, when the class is AFTER their scheduled feeding time, and they don't get fed, they are truly pissy!!!)

I would think the old racehorse trick - if you DON'T want your horse to win the race, you feed AND water it RIGHT before the race - would work better...

I think this is an excellent idea - rather like the FEI horses' quarentine!

It's OUT! Linda Allen's 101 Exercises for Jumping co-authored by MOI!!!
                              co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Box-of-Rox:
                                i think it will have little to no impact, whatsoever, because the *majority* of horses are cared for beautifully and, while possibly medicated (it's the end of a long year for those guys), they are legally medicated. The riders who have been winning all year are still going to win, if there's a cinderella story its not going to be because of this stabling method...

so, what will this rule do? it will only effect the FEW horses that are treated HORRIBLY, and since no one is "hurt" by this rule that shouldn't be, it's a good one.

BoR:
                                "I always feel like an idiot. But I am an idiot, so it kinda works out."--Billy Madison

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."--Churchill

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree. Those that are treating their horses well will have no problem with this change. For those that aren't, it's about time someone took a stand and decided that horsemanship and abuse don't go together!
                                I love this idea, I only wish it had happened a lot sooner. Should be an interesting Medal Finals this year.

Comment

Sounds like a step in the right direction to me. Wonder how drastically this development will affect the placings?
                                  In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                                  A life lived by example, done too soon.
                                  www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Wow. It's a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. Thank you USEF!!! Big thumbs up!!

"If you ever had to go to the homeless shelter, you'd give that sorry old horse the BED!" --My old barn manager
                                    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Sounds like they suspect some people of pretty harsh practices. My only concern is for the horses that do better after a night of turn out and walking around. Many of the equitation horses have been around the block and standing in a stall overnight does nothing for their soundness. That's like telling the big-time eventers that they can't handwalk their horses after the cross country phase.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by katherine w:
                                        Sounds like they suspect some people of pretty harsh practices. My only concern is for the horses that do better after a night of turn out and walking around. Many of the equitation horses have been around the block and standing in a stall overnight does nothing for their soundness. That's like telling the big-time eventers that they can't handwalk their horses after the cross country phase.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. The big time eventers run under FEI rules, which have supervised stabling, etc.
                                        I'm sure the Harrisburg horses will be allowed to be handwalked, as well. However, there are likely other practices which will not be allowed...

Unashamed member of the Arab clique...just settin' on the Group W bench.
                                        "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Working...
                                        X