• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I was surprised to read that GM advocates....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was surprised to read that GM advocates....

Dropping a horse in front of a jump right before going into the ring and purposefully causing them to hit their last warm-up (something that comes up often on poling threads)
    and giving a horse Bute/Banamine in "reasonable doses" throughout their career to keep them comfortable. Considering the rest of his training program, that wouldn't seem necessary anyways.

I'm a huge GM fan, but those two comments (in Because Every Round Counts) surprised me quite a bit.

opinions?
    "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
    "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

Dropping a horse in the schooling ring is very common. If you have a less careful horse it can mean the difference b/t being in the prize money/possibly winning and having faults. It doesn't harm the horse in any way but a good rub is what you want before heading in to keep them sharp. It is not poling IMO as it is the horses own doing and people aren't making the fence 'jump at them'. I can't remember how many times George and several other BNT's I've worked/work with have repeated the mantra of wanting your rails at home and in the schooling ring.

Bute/Banamine within legal limits are necessary for some seasoned campaigners. I don't think he's talking about just medicating for the sake of medicating but I'd, personally, much rather see a horse on a gram of bute during a show going around comfortably then a sore horse trying to do its job. Ideally they won't need anything (my horses are golden on adequan/legend and platinum CJ with nothing else) but they are animals, not machines and I know I appreciate a couple advil after a hard day of showing and all I'm doing is riding not physically jumping and landing hard repeatedly.

Not really sure what the problem is....
    Last edited by hedmbl; Dec. 2, 2008, 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Well, he's oldschool. Lots of the traditionalists and old guard guys do things a bit rough. Even McLain Ward, who was PV's protege, does his own little bit of it.
      Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

Why? Horses need reminders of their job. They need to know how to get themselves out of trouble. Since poling, offsets, swedish oxers, etc., are all illegal at shows, how do you propose to remind them in the confines of the schooling area? The horse isn't abused, he gets a rub, for Pete's sake.

Bute/banamine, in therapeutic doses, do the same as a couple of aspirin for us. He doesn't mean they live on it. But at the end of a competition, they can have a comfortable night and rest day before resuming showing. Or, after a hard school at home. Coupled with a dose of Ulcergard or Gastrogard to protect the stomach, why not?
        Laurie

Comment

lauriep said it perfectly.
          "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Comment

what lauriep said....sheesh
            "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
            carolprudm

Comment

AMEN lauriep. IMO, some people on this board are getting bent out of shape over little things. Bute/Banamine and rubs are the LEAST of the worries of the horse show world.

Comment

• Original Poster

Not disagreeing at all. It's funny how on some threads it is like PITA and on some threads it's like, gosh, they weigh 1500 pounds, they need a reminder every once and a while.
                "If we we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane, if we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane." ~Jimmy Buffet
                "Pursuing the life of my high-riding heroes I burned up my childhood days..."-Willie Nelson

Comment

Does nobody else read old threads? As in last page? Like this thread-- http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=35814?
                  ...Just goes to show that nobody's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrs+eq View Post
                    Does nobody else read old threads? As in last page? Like this thread-- http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=35814?
                    ...Just goes to show that nobody's perfect.
                    That's common knowledge but this thread has nothing to do with poling, rather letting a horse get a rub on his/her own and the use of bute as a therapeutic agent No one said anyone was perfect.

Comment

thanks LaurieP...
                      "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Comment

it is simple good horsemanship to remind your horse to pick up those hooves! as to bute? inflammation takes much more of a toll than most are willing to recognize. judicious use of bute is not only reasonable, it is imperative.

there is NO dosage of bute which will make a compromised horse sound.

Comment

Sorry--not intending to attack him. Just wanted to point out another method he advocates (that some may find surprising). I think all these methods, when used conscientiously, should be acceptable.
                          Last edited by Huntrs+eq; Dec. 2, 2008, 08:59 PM. Reason: eek-did not see other "poling" thread

Comment

To me... a dose of bute/banamine is no different than those of us that take a morning tylenol or aspirin... I know I take something when I've been walking the hard ground at a show for consecutive days! If a horse is not sound a bit of bute or banamine is not going to conceal it.

Comment

Getting a rub doesnt work. Simple as that.

With most horses you can get him to give a little extra air over 10 or 12 fences he's going to handle anyway, but on the one fence where you get too close, too slow, whatever, the horse with the rub will give up and hit it in a way that he's sure the fence rather than the horse is the one that's coming down.

Just one more way George Morris is behind the times and not worthy of serious attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Yellow Taxi View Post
                                Getting a rub doesnt work. Simple as that.

With most horses you can get him to give a little extra air over 10 or 12 fences he's going to handle anyway, but on the one fence where you get too close, too slow, whatever, the horse with the rub will give up and hit it in a way that he's sure the fence rather than the horse is the one that's coming down.

Just one more way George Morris is behind the times and not worthy of serious attention.
                                So obviously you've never had a horse that it worked on. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work. And I don't know what you're implying that dropping a horse in front of a fence does.....I've certainly never had any of mine think that the options were a) the fence falls or b) they fall.

I had a horse for a long time who tended towards getting lazy over great distances (he'd jump the hell out of a bad distance and NEVER touched a rail in those cases), but often just barely dragged his hind end over the first or second fence in the class. Getting a rub before we went in often meant the difference between winning and not placing. You can bet your ass that we got a rub as often as we could by the time we got up to the big money classes.

And while there are (of course) horses that will react in the way you've described, there are just as many who don't.

As with EVERYTHING IN LIFE....a tool is just that. It's not inherently good or bad. Applied appropriately and thoughtfully it can help make a difference between the winner and everyone else. A tool applied inappropriately (whether it be to the wrong horse or wrong rider, or the tool itself applied with the wrong intent) of course has the potential to do more harm than good. And both of the things mentioned (dropping a horse in front of a fence and poling) CAN be tools.

As for George Morris.....he's a gifted horseman. I don't think his intent is that ALL horses should be dropped in front of a fence or that ALL horses should be given bute or banamine all the time, and certainly not that drugs should be used to mask lameness so that a horse can be shown. I think his point is that both things *should* be acceptable as in the majority of the cases neither are inherently dangerous or bad. I mean seriously....don't you ever take aspirin at a show? Or the day after exerting yourself particularly hard?

Comment

Nahhh. I dont exert myself much.

Comment

I have no problem with the moderate, legal use of bute/banamine to help a horse feel good. I take Advil at the end of a long show day, too.

I find the idea of purposely and routinely dropping a horse in front of a fence unsettling. I would worry that it would simply teach my horse that I am not to be trusted in directing him, and eventually get us into big trouble some time when he really NEEDED to trust me. (I screw up often enough without doing it on purpose! ) But perhaps that's the eventer talking, and hunters don't worry about it...
                                    Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

Sometimes older or less careful horses who routinely gets ridden to perfect spots will become a little blase and overconfident and in need of a little reminder.

It's mostly not a matter of purposely blowing a jump out as that wold perhaps scare a horse (that wasn't completely dead in the legs Lol). Lying to him and riding him through the distance can certainly be something he will start to hold against you after a while.

Dropping him is not about making him take a bad spot but rather about finding a somewhat forward distance to the base and simply letting the horse deal with what's coming up rather then helping him out.
                                      Kind of saying "Here's the jump, you figure it out!"

If you get a rub, good. If he shortens himself up and pats the ground, then he's already paying attention and probably good to go.

IMO This kind of ride can certainly help you while on course also. If your horse is getting used to having to think for himself when you drop him he will most likely back himself up and make a bigger effort if you end up seeing the same distance somewhere else.
                                      Timothy, stop lurking

Comment

I think there's a difference between what GM means when he says dropping a horse in front of the fence and purposely getting a rub and what most amatures think when they hear dropping a horse in front of a fence. If simply accidently dropping them in front of a jump made a horse jump better most ammy horses would jump the heck out of almost everything...

As far as bute and banamine... I think that they ought to be allowed (say 2 grams) for horses over a certain age and jumping under a certain height. Say horses over the age of 10 jumping 3ft or under.

Comment

Working...
                                        X