• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Favorite Products

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Products

I'm needing some new products, so I was wondering what your favorites are!

Favorite coat/tail conditioner? (Other than Show Sheen)
    Favorite Hoof oil?
    Favorite tack soap?

Can't live without:
    Farriers Fix hoof oil
    Vetrolin shine for the coats (not show sheen- dries them out)
    Cowboy magic conditioner for manes and tails (its a miracle worker)
    Effax Lederbalsam for my tack

Comment

1. EQyss Avocado Mist
      2. Farrier's Fix
      3. MOSS and Lexol
      Peace, love, and riding ponies are the best aspects of life.

Comment

Can't live without:
        Healthy Hair Care Conditioner (LOVE this - don't use show sheen anymore. This doesn't dry the coat!)
        Ecolicious In Control. Use this instead of Quic Braid. Nice and tacky, but leaves the main feeling nice and soft after.
        Higher Standards saddle soap or Equipe Soft Clean for tack cleaning.

Comment

Coat/Tail: EQyss Premier Products

Hoof Oil: Hawthorne's Sole Pack Dressing. Farrier swears by it! It protects against or treats thrush, and it also helps keep the hoof from getting torn up by all weather arenas from horse shows. I once forgot my Hawthorne's at a 2 week horse show... all the limestone in the all weather ring did a mass amount of havoc on my guy's hooves. Otherwise, I never have problems when I bring it

Tack Soap: I use Akene soap on my buffalo/calfskin goodies. I like it, but am always trying other (going to try MOSS and Tattersall). Otherwise, on bridles, girths, etc. I use castile soap. It cleans without making it feel sticky. When leather is starting to look just a tad dry, Akene Conditioner ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I will never buy anything else.

Comment

The Cowboy Magic Detangler & Shine is AMAZING. We put it in horses tails and manes while wet and let it dry. It isn't oily and it makes them beautiful and soft. LOVE that stuff.
            www.thetexasequestrian.com

Comment

I second Cowboy Magic Detangler & Shine. I've also started using an avocado hair cream in the tail - detangles very nicely and keeps it moisturized so that I can more easily detangle for a couple days after. Cost me about $3.50 and can be found in the ethnic hair care aisle - Aveeno makes it.
              H20594

Comment

Favorite coat/tail conditioner? (Other than Show Sheen) For shine I use the stuff the quarter horses use which is ultra brand or world champion pepi, for conditioning I use E3 equine products detangler and healthy haircare pink spray. For a conditioner I'm going to rinse out I buy the olive oil cholesterol/conditioner from the ethnic hair care section.
                Favorite Hoof oil? For shows I like plain old feibings, and for at home I use keratex gel
                Favorite tack soap? I use a combo of passier saddle soap and lederbasalm, but when I bought it I LOVED Bensmom soap and the moss soap, but I've lost both.
                Mendokuse

Comment

Originally posted by Belmont View Post
                  The Cowboy Magic Detangler & Shine is AMAZING. We put it in horses tails and manes while wet and let it dry. It isn't oily and it makes them beautiful and soft. LOVE that stuff.
                  I third it! I don't know what they put in the stuff, but it's magic! And smells good too!

I also really like the Pony Tails brand Trot the Spot- it's a waterless shampoo that is great for a quick clean up and smells like expensive horse cologne

Not sure if the Pony Tails brand is available in your local tack store, but it is just so fancy! I always grab some of it when it's on sale.

Comment

The Canter products for coat and mane and tail are absolutely amazing- I get them from Smartpak. Expensive, but worth every penny. I'll never use Show Sheen again!

I too use the Higher Standards products for cleaning, and they are awesome and smell great too.
                    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

Originally posted by karasha View Post
                      Coat/Tail: EQyss Premier Products

Hoof Oil: Hawthorne's Sole Pack Dressing. Farrier swears by it! It protects against or treats thrush, and it also helps keep the hoof from getting torn up by all weather arenas from horse shows. I once forgot my Hawthorne's at a 2 week horse show... all the limestone in the all weather ring did a mass amount of havoc on my guy's hooves. Otherwise, I never have problems when I bring it

Tack Soap: I use Akene soap on my buffalo/calfskin goodies. I like it, but am always trying other (going to try MOSS and Tattersall). Otherwise, on bridles, girths, etc. I use castile soap. It cleans without making it feel sticky. When leather is starting to look just a tad dry, Akene Conditioner ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I will never buy anything else.
                      Instead of Moss try the Higher Standards soap, the scents are much better and the product is far superior. And their balm has replaced Akene for me. Check out their thread on the eventing forum, they are amazing products. You mention Tattersall, that is one of my favorites in addition to Effax Leder Combi and the entire Effax line of products.

Comment

The concentrated kind that's almost orange in the bottle but turns more pink when mixed with water in a sprayer. I think it's made by healthy hair care?

Favorite Hoof oil?
                        fiebing's in the yellow can

Favorite tack soap?
                        MOSS vanilla.
                        friend of bar.ka.

Comment

I third EQyss conditioner. It smells great and makes my horses tail awesome. Also the "pink stuff" to spray on tail and coat. I never use show sheen anymore.

Comment

I love anything EQyss.
                            Pink stuff that comes in the ethnic section. I also use the Ion Sun Protection Spray from Sally's. Its cheaper that the horse sunscreen for the coat.
                            Hoof Oil - Don't use very often, I started feeding a supplement and hoofs look awesome. I put a light coat on when I bath because my farrier asked me too and use the Farnam Horseshoers Secret Hoof Conditioner
                            Tack Cleaner - Horseman's One Step and Leather Honey( the absolute best)

Comment

Farrier's Fix Hoof Oil

Healthy Hair Care

Few sprays of Lexol Conditioner and then rub a few times on a bar of glycerine (I have whatever comes as a bar in the orange container?)
                              There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
                              inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Coat/tail conditioner: Cowboy Magic Detangler & Shine, MTG, and also Eqyss products. Also, my mom loved Pepi back when she showed QHs (it's mostly used by western people but it does work well)
                                Hoof oil: Rainmaker - it has served me very well for ten years and two horses, so I'm inclined to love it
                                Tack soap: Leather CPR, Horseman's One-step

Comment

Coat spray: Love the EQyss Avocado Mist and the Marigold spray in the summer

Hoof Oil: Love the Kevin Bacon hoof oil and Hoof Heal

Tack soap: I am SUPER picky about tack soap, HATE the ones that leave a gunky film. Current favourites are the Equipe Soft Clean and the Antares Glycerine Soap. I am really wanting to try the Higher Standards soap too! Love the Amerigo balm and the Equipe Soft Oil as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Little.Wing View Post
                                    The concentrated kind that's almost orange in the bottle but turns more pink when mixed with water in a sprayer. I think it's made by healthy hair care?
                                    Ahhh...."Pink Stuff." Yes, it is the Healthy Hair Care Moisturizer. The only thing I don't like about Pink Stuff is that it tends to attract dust.
                                    Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

Huh, I've never used anything on the horse other than regular boring Vetrolin shampoo, and some elbow grease to get a clean, shiny horse. Never noticed any lack of shine with her. I've used the Cowboy Magic spray in conditioner on her tail and been quite pleased.

For hooves, I use classic old Fiebings at shows. At home, if anything, Keratex.

For tack, I use Belvoir cleaner and Passier Lederbalsam.
                                      A Year In the Saddle

Comment

Definitely the cowboy magic detangler for manes and tails. The vetrolin detangler is also EXCELLENT (the gel that is similar to cowboy magic) but it seems to be difficult to find. Last time I looked, Dover was the only place I could find it (ie not at Judy's or Champions etc at the horse show)

The healthy hair care pink stuff, diluted way down and rubbed into the coat with a towel is nice. It can attract dust so make sure not too much pink stuff to water ratio.

If youre one that likes to put stuff on the feet before a bath, effol is good. For the show ring, fiebings.

For tack cleaner we mix small parts murphey's oil soap, leather conditioner, and the rest water to make a spray. For conditioning, I like the Devoucoux and Antares conditioners.

Comment

Working...
                                        X