• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trainer Discounts on custom CWD saddles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trainer Discounts on custom CWD saddles?

    Hi!
    So, I'm going with a CWD and the company was unable to find what I needed in a used saddle so I have to go with a new saddle.

    Does anybody know about the trainer discounts CWD does and how it works?

    I am not a trainer myself but I trained with a woman who was sponsored and my rep knows who they are. Do you think I'd be able to use the trainer discount?

    Hope to hear replies!

  • #2
    Originally posted by anyanicholson View Post
    Hi!
    So, I'm going with a CWD and the company was unable to find what I needed in a used saddle so I have to go with a new saddle.

    Does anybody know about the trainer discounts CWD does and how it works?

    I am not a trainer myself but I trained with a woman who was sponsored and my rep knows who they are. Do you think I'd be able to use the trainer discount?

    Hope to hear replies!
    IME, "trainer discounts" go to the trainer.

    Normally, the trainer uses and encourages their clients to use a certain brand, and in return they get a certain dollar amount or % off the tack they purchase (or are given) for themselves. The formulas I have seen are based on the number of saddles the trainer gets their clients to purchase (i.e., for every saddle of that brand sold into the barn, the trainer gets X.) The discount is not typically extended to the clients.
    **********
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

    Comment


    • #3
      Just a thought and you might already have done this… but have you checked the other used saddle sites for what you need? I have worked with Cori McGraw at High End Used Saddles and she is terrific; it's worth asking if she might have what you need. http://www.highendusedsaddles.com
      **********
      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
      -PaulaEdwina

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
        IME, "trainer discounts" go to the trainer.

        Normally, the trainer uses and encourages their clients to use a certain brand, and in return they get a certain dollar amount or % off the tack they purchase (or are given) for themselves. The formulas I have seen are based on the number of saddles the trainer gets their clients to purchase (i.e., for every saddle of that brand sold into the barn, the trainer gets X.) The discount is not typically extended to the clients.

        If that's how it works, that's how it works, but what incentive would I have to purchase the same saddle that the trainer has if I don't get the discount too? If I have a zillion choices and all other things being equal, I'll choose the one that costs less. Don't the saddle companies consider this? Or do they all think we will blindly follow the trainer?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
          Or do they all think we will blindly follow the trainer?
          You got it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
            You got it.
            That is sad. The kind of people who have big $$$ to spend generally didn't get there from being stupid about the rest of their business affairs, so I don't understand how that mentality becomes so rampant.

            Some of the stuff that goes on in the equestrian world would never fly or be accepted on Wall Street.

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Yes, I have but I have a pretty big credit from CWD from a saddle that didn't work so I have to purchase a saddle from them.

              Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
              Just a thought and you might already have done this… but have you checked the other used saddle sites for what you need? I have worked with Cori McGraw at High End Used Saddles and she is terrific; it's worth asking if she might have what you need. http://www.highendusedsaddles.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
                If that's how it works, that's how it works, but what incentive would I have to purchase the same saddle that the trainer has if I don't get the discount too? If I have a zillion choices and all other things being equal, I'll choose the one that costs less. Don't the saddle companies consider this? Or do they all think we will blindly follow the trainer?
                The incentive, such as it is, is to purchase a saddle that your trainer approves of. Many, many riders (not all) seek their trainer's opinion before making a major purchase, and I suppose - all other things being equal - the pros figure that they might as well recommend a saddle that they get a reward for.

                Of course when it comes to saddle fit and preference, all other things are seldom equal. What I like a lot might not suit you (or your horse) at all. But many times, there are probably several different saddle brands that might be suitable, particularly with the higher end brands that can be customized, and a range of models to suit different horses and to a lesser extent, budgets.

                I don't fault the trainers for recommending a product that they are happy with and find nothing inherently evil in the reality that they are compensated for their recommendations, unless they deliberately push something they know will NOT work - which is rarely the case. After all they are probably riding and training that horse and dealing with a saddle fit problem is not going to further those efforts.

                I've actually found that when there is a particular brand of saddle that is extensively used in a barn, the service from that manufacturer toward those clients tends to be good as well. There is some value in that although IMO, it is sort of a fringe benefit and would not cause me to choose a saddle I otherwise wouldn't purchase.
                **********
                We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                -PaulaEdwina

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
                  That is sad. The kind of people who have big $$$ to spend generally didn't get there from being stupid about the rest of their business affairs, so I don't understand how that mentality becomes so rampant.

                  Some of the stuff that goes on in the equestrian world would never fly or be accepted on Wall Street.
                  Actually, if you have a lot of money from a using all your brain power and time on your work, it makes perfect sense to outsource the things you don't need/want to do yourself to experts.

                  Trainer discounts are for trainers, not their clients/friends/occasional lesson-taker. It is incentive for them to get their clients riding in the saddles. The really big-name trainers are sponsored and get their saddles/gear for free. It is great marketing for the saddle companies to have Beezie/McLain/Reed/etc riding in their saddles. There's also nothing unscrupulous about having trainers encourage students to ride in a particular type of saddle if they like it. This kind of transaction happens all the time in business (particularly in technology), actually. It's called a referral program.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Are you actively training and riding with this trainer that's sponsored by CWD? I know nothing about whether or not there is a discount for being the client of one of their sponsored trainers, but even if there was one, I don't think you'll get it just because you rode with a sponsored trainer at one point in time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wanderlust View Post
                      Trainer discounts are for trainers, not their clients/friends/occasional lesson-taker. It is incentive for them to get their clients riding in the saddles. The really big-name trainers are sponsored and get their saddles/gear for free. It is great marketing for the saddle companies to have Beezie/McLain/Reed/etc riding in their saddles. There's also nothing unscrupulous about having trainers encourage students to ride in a particular type of saddle if they like it. This kind of transaction happens all the time in business (particularly in technology), actually. It's called a referral program.
                      I agree that it makes sense that the discount shouldn't be just for the occasional lesson taker or someone who wants to train with a trainer for the sake of getting a discount on said saddle (not sure if people would even do this...), but it seems like there should be a way to offer some small discount for longterm clients. I mean trainers do have clients who have been with them since the very beginning or have trained with them for a few years.
                      Instagram

                      Website

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        From my experience with CWD and trainer discounts, I did not get a discount on the saddle but they generally throw in an extra for free. In my case it was a free pair of stirrrup leathers. This was a few years ago, so things might have changed since then.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wanderlust View Post
                          Actually, if you have a lot of money from a using all your brain power and time on your work, it makes perfect sense to outsource the things you don't need/want to do yourself to experts.

                          Trainer discounts are for trainers, not their clients/friends/occasional lesson-taker. It is incentive for them to get their clients riding in the saddles. The really big-name trainers are sponsored and get their saddles/gear for free. It is great marketing for the saddle companies to have Beezie/McLain/Reed/etc riding in their saddles. There's also nothing unscrupulous about having trainers encourage students to ride in a particular type of saddle if they like it. This kind of transaction happens all the time in business (particularly in technology), actually. It's called a referral program.
                          I think you misread my post. There is no need to get snarky in your response.

                          There IS a lot of stuff that goes on in the equestrian world that wouldn't fly on wall street. Just go read about multiple articles, some on COTH about having contracts and disclosures related to selling horses. There are certainly people who do underhanded things in business, but there aren't a lot of folks who are going to do business on Wall St. without a serious contract sans holes like you see in the equine world. Just go back and read the articles and you will see what I mean.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Saddle companies hope that if they get a trainer in their product, the trainer will like it...alot. Hopefully see something about it (fit,comfort, whatever) that is better than the other options out there. Maybe let students try it out when they are saddle shopping, etc. I certainly have a saddle I prefer...not because it's the most or least expensive, but because i think it's the best. It fits the horses well, is comfortable, and the company stands firmly behind their product. Their customer service is excellent, as is heir support of the industry. If one of my students wants to buy a cheaper saddle, that's their choice. But I recommend the best one that I know of. And yes, I got a trainer discount. But that's long gone...I own the saddle. My recommendation comes from my belief in it.

                            Stacy
                            www.rushtonstables.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by anyanicholson View Post
                              Yes, I have but I have a pretty big credit from CWD from a saddle that didn't work so I have to purchase a saddle from them.
                              Did you buy a used saddle from them that did not work out?
                              slightly confused as to why you would not get a full refund after returning a saddle at the end of a trial ... a saddle on trial from CWD etc is not the same as a consignment saddle through a used saddle shop such as FUS etc, re length/flexibility of the trial period.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by alto View Post
                                Did you buy a used saddle from them that did not work out?
                                slightly confused as to why you would not get a full refund after returning a saddle at the end of a trial ... a saddle on trial from CWD etc is not the same as a consignment saddle through a used saddle shop such as FUS etc, re length/flexibility of the trial period.
                                Not sure if this is specifically the case with OP but CWD has a 25% restocking fee even if they could not get the saddle they custom fitted for your horse to work. That is a big chunk of change to throw away. It was one of the big reasons I did not go with CWD with my hard to fit horse.
                                I think their used saddles have a restocking fee of $50 if they come back from trial.
                                Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by SonnysMom View Post
                                  I think their used saddles have a restocking fee of $50 if they come back from trial.
                                  yes, I'm under the impression that OP had a used saddle from CWD.

                                  Completely agree with you on the v.e.r.y fine print on that 25% restocking fee when their "guaranteed to fit horse & rider" custom saddle fails ...

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    A 25% restocking fee? That's ridiculous! If you order a custom saddle, it's for a reason. If they can't make it work then it's their fault and they should fix it. The most I've heard is a company charging $250 to restock.

                                    I guess I won't be looking at CWD either! lol.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Wow! Thats incredible. I agree, if you order a custom saddle and for some reason it doesn't work, I know I definitely wouldn't want to pay for a restocking fee. I would expect the saddle to fit perfectly the first time out since it is supposed to be a custom fit.
                                      Instagram

                                      Website

                                      Comment

                                      Working...
                                      X