• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tricks of the Trade - Clipping the show horse...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is taking you that long..and not including legs, you are going too slowly.

The key to a good clip is to use LONG even pressured strokes. It is using the same pressure that gives you a really clean look. Not short strokes. You want the blade to move neither slow or too fast but in a nice even manner. You want sharp blades and you shouldn't have to use much pressure. You know your blades are not sharp if you have to use too much pressure for them to cut.

Start with a really clean horse, and keep your blades clean. After I clip, I like to give them another bath and rinse them with warm water and some baby oil diluted in the water. Let that sit on them for a few seconds, then scrape it off and towel them off so there is no extra left on them.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
      If it is taking you that long..and not including legs, you are going too slowly.

The key to a good clip is to use LONG even pressured strokes. It is using the same pressure that gives you a really clean look. Not short strokes. You want the blade to move neither slow or too fast but in a nice even manner. You want sharp blades and you shouldn't have to use much pressure. You know your blades are not sharp if you have to use too much pressure for them to cut.
      I really disagree with this. I clip with shorter strokes in a sort of fan shape. Hair doesn't all grow exactly in the same direction, so clipping in long, straight strokes is IMHO the easiest way to end up with lines.
      My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
      http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Comment

I have Lister Stars too. I do use the fine blade they came with. I clip my guy about 3-4 times a year. I do use long strokes and start up the neck. I also do it over 2 days, first day body, 2nd day legs/face - it's probably about 2 hrs total, but I like a perfect job. I spray the Oster Kool Lube repeatedly.

I also have the Wahl Cromado small clippers (SmartPak sells it). They are my only small clippers, had them for 3 years now. I love the variable blade. At the 2nd smallest setting, they match my Lister Stars Fine blade exactly. I go over my whole horse in them to smooth out clip lines. I also use them on the face for all the bony parts I skip with the big blades. They are also perfect for leg bony parts.
        2leftsocks.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by To the MAX View Post
          I really disagree with this. I clip with shorter strokes in a sort of fan shape. Hair doesn't all grow exactly in the same direction, so clipping in long, straight strokes is IMHO the easiest way to end up with lines.
          I'm not going in long STRAIGHT strokes...but going in the opposite direction of the hair (how ever it is growing), following the body. Some areas you will need to use shorter strokes, such as the the flank, but over the large parts of their body, it comes out best with even pressured longer strokes. I used to clip for a living and this what worked best for me and how I was taught.
          Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Sep. 26, 2013, 05:56 PM.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I don't bother trying to clip the forehead or top of the muzzle . You have to be super talented, with a patient or drugged horse, to get that without a giant amount of butt pain. I just do what another poster said and stop at the cheekbones, lifting the blades.
            COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

My tip is to start at least two weeks before you plan on going anywhere, that way you can spend every day up until then trying to even it out, getting the patches you missed, and hiring someone to do it for next year. My poor pony.
              http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've had success clipping mine while she's still wet from the bath. I just towel and then showsheen, and keep kool-lubing and oiling the blades. I'm sure I dull the blades faster, but I don't worry too much since I only clip my one horse - I keep a few to change out as I go and have the easy to switch Andis clippers. I'm pretty sure wet and clean is better than dry and dirty, and who has time to wait for a shaggy horse to dry in the cold?
                It does take me forever though. Last year I did it over two days (body day one, legs and face day two) and we were both happier.

My other favorite thing is that I finally got a big proper toolbox to keep everything in. It has an extension cord, kool lube, blade wash, a little gladware to wash blades in, oil, a screwdriver, a simple twine twitch and a paint brush to clean hair out of the clippers under the blade, and extra small and large blades. It's nice to have everything in one place.

Comment

Wet clip.

I got lazy and clipped my guys while dry last year (after 6 or 7 years of wet clipping) and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN! All of mine will go back to being clipped wet this year.

Comment

Clipping

Clean, sharp and lube. We use alcohol to clean blades, then kerosene to lube. After a clip, warm bath with cider vinegar will bring up the shine.

Comment

Lots of good advice...!

My two cents -- select clothing that you have no attachment to. No matter how many times you wash those clothes, you will never get rid of all the tiny hairs that will poke through the material and make you itch like crazy. I keep a bin of dedicated clipping clothes (including a clipping bra!). I even have dedicated clipping sneakers...

Comment

Originally posted by lintesia View Post
                        My two cents -- select clothing that you have no attachment to. No matter how many times you wash those clothes, you will never get rid of all the tiny hairs that will poke through the material and make you itch like crazy. I keep a bin of dedicated clipping clothes (including a clipping bra!). I even have dedicated clipping sneakers...
                        Unless you clip wet, and then not a single hair goes anywhere you don't want it!

Comment

I have a chestnut and I don't clip. The color is just too ugly when clipped (I know this from clipping a design on her once). She doesn't grow that much of a coat anyway! Good luck though to all who clip.

Comment

Haha, I rarely bath my horses before clipping and my blades still last multiple full body clips before needing sharpening (and I usually only have 1 or 2 regular 10 blades). I show sheen them up and just go.

Seems to leave decent results

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
                              I don't bother trying to clip the forehead or top of the muzzle . You have to be super talented, with a patient or drugged horse, to get that without a giant amount of butt pain. I just do what another poster said and stop at the cheekbones, lifting the blades.
                              Really? None of my horses have had issues with that area.

Comment

I won't throw in on the body, since you have gotten a good bit of advice about it. For clipping the face, use a #10 blade and clip the whole head. Then go back with a #15 (if you use anything tighter than a #15, he will look like an Arabian--ha!) and clip from the tear bone down to under the jaw and the underside of the jaw. Then clip a "v" in the forehead, following the natural like of the horse's forehead and extending down to the inside corners of the eyes. Then clear the forehead, bridge of the nose, and the forehead with the #15's. This makes the head look more refined. To be honest, I do also clip above the eyes with a #40 and the muzzle with a very faint "v" between the nostrils, just to clean up the areas with very fine hair anyway. Make sure you do the outside of the ears with the #10's for home or #15's if you are going to show. Clean out the ears with a #50. Also, bridle path in #50's. If you'd like pics, just let me know. I have to clip today anyway. Good luck!

ETA: Always wipe the face with a damp cloth afterwards to pick up any loose hair and take a baby wipe or a paper towel with alcohol on it to wipe out the ears after clipping them.

Comment

PNW, how do you clip wet?? I've tried and even posted the results, and really was a fail. Other reported the same, others said the horse had to be soaking wet, not just wet.
                                  COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Trying to decide if I share the very accurate, but rather dirty (and very funny) comparison someone told me when I first learned to clip....

Like others have said, clip a clean horse. I also usually give them a good dousing with Show Sheen or something like that a few minutes before I start (so it can soak in). That helps the blades slide through the hair better.

Remember to put a little pressure behind your clippers. I often find, when teaching people to clip, that they are too ginger with the clippers, which actually tickles more and causes more twitching than if you lean into them a bit.

Use whatever type of stroke you need to where you need to (this has something to do with the dirty thing I was told). I find that I do about equal amounts of long strokes and short, quick, turning strokes, depending on the horse's coat and where I am.

Try and bathe the horse AFTER you clip, too. I find this helps their skin (especially if they are prone to being sensitive) and is better for getting all the little hairs off than a brush. I will put a glub or two of baby oil in the wash bucket to help moisturize, or, if I'm really pressed for time, I will just give them a rinse with baby oil and water. If it's really frigid, I might just do a rub down with hot, damp towels (with baby oil).

Make sure any small clippers you use for touch ups and small areas match your big clippers.

Realize that if you clip now, you are almost guaranteed a second clipping in late October, early November.

FWIW, I am indifferent to wet clipping. I know there are those who swear by it, but I've not found it to be the earth shattering fantasticness others have. I've done it a few times, and while it certainly DOES help with keeping the hair out of your bra and contacts, I just don't get the fabulous results others seem to get (partly because one time I did, it was too cool, and the horse I was clipping started to shiver!).

One thing I am very grateful for with my broken leg is I don't have to clip ANYTHING this year. I might have to pay to get my guy clipped while he's in training, but I won't be sad...especially since he's god awful!!
                                    Amanda

Comment

PS- if your horse has sensitive skin, I find that I can use Show Sheen like Cool Lube. It might be a little tougher on blades (I usually have a couple of pairs at the ready), but it keeps the horse from breaking out in hives. I also can't use blade wash with my horse, so, again, lots of sharp blades is key.
                                      Amanda

Comment

Seriously, bathe your horse first! I am always too lazy/short on time to bathe my hairy beast and then wait for him to dry (he lives out so no clean stall to put him in for dry time!) so I just do a super thorough grooming, but I always end up with lines. So do the bath thing.

And do face/legs first! They are the trickiest and you don't want to have to be going around eyeballs and bony joint bits when your horse is "DONE" with the whole clipping thing!
                                        Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
                                          PNW, how do you clip wet?? I've tried and even posted the results, and really was a fail. Other reported the same, others said the horse had to be soaking wet, not just wet.
                                          Horse has to be WET, not damp and not in the process of drying at all. I keep a sponge in a bucket and wet an area before clipping. If the hair starts to dry at all it becomes a nightmare to try to get through. Wet hair is good, dry hair is fine, but damp is the worst of the worst.

My routine is to give the horse a bath and then not scrape much (if any) water off of them, followed by spraying them with show sheen, and then starting the process. Once I've finished a front quarter (neck/shoulders) I wet the sponge, rewet the horse and then proceed to the next section. It's faster, the clippers stay cooler, and my horses are better behaved than when I try to clip dry (because it takes me less time - not because wet clipping is someone nicer on the horse ). Not to mention the fact that my ill-planned dry clips last year rendered one of my favorite coats too hairy to wear again.

I remember being really skeptical the first year I tried it. Right before I started I was watching my vet wash a horse's leg (wound) before clipping the hair and then addressing the injury, and I commented that I was getting ready to try wet clipping for the first time. She looked at me kind of puzzled and said, "why would you clip dry hair?"

I'm a total convert. Especially after getting lazy last year and proving to myself 3 times over how awful it is to clip dry! Even cleaning up the hair afterwards is 10x the pain!

And for the record, this is what my mare had to say about dry clipping last year:
                                          http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...32036808_n.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                          X