• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

most clueless people you've met

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most clueless people you've met

inspired by the bad trainer/bad student blues over on dressage, let's talk about the best examples of total cluelessness that you've encountered! no names, no locations please

my favorite i think is a kid i knew who would "longe" her pony by attaching a longe line to the halter and running around the ring ahead of the pony, leading it with the line 30 ft behind her she was very grateful to be shown the correct way to longe the pony.

so what laughable mishaps have you witnessed? this isn't meant to be mean, just fun, since lots of silly things can happen around horses!
  • Original Poster

inspired by the bad trainer/bad student blues over on dressage, let's talk about the best examples of total cluelessness that you've encountered! no names, no locations please

my favorite i think is a kid i knew who would "longe" her pony by attaching a longe line to the halter and running around the ring ahead of the pony, leading it with the line 30 ft behind her she was very grateful to be shown the correct way to longe the pony.

so what laughable mishaps have you witnessed? this isn't meant to be mean, just fun, since lots of silly things can happen around horses!

Comment

How about the woman who trailered home from a show (about ten miles)with the trailer ramp down. She said she wondered why so many people were honking at her.

Comment

13 or so year old kid who had been taking lessons somewhere else for about a year seriously thinking she could ride in short daisy dukes and slip on platform strappy open toed sandals, just cuz she was on vacation and only wanted a trail ride.

Comment

Woman, a rank beginner hired me to help teach her things and advise her what to do. I thought that while this wasn't ideal (go buy horses THEN ask what to do), at least she was smart enough to want to learn. Or so I thought, because every time I told her something she argued/refused to listen. I had 20+ years around horses, she had less than 1. Yet she wouldn't listen to a word I said and always had a reason or excuse why she didn't have to listen to my advice. (i.e. I've never had a problem before... and you have how much experience to draw upon to reach this conclusion???? If you know so much, why am I wasting my time here???)

The woman had a TB gelding she couldn't ride (afraid of him), a perfectly suitable non-TB gelding she WOULDN'T ride (because he wasn't a TB and therefore "not good enough for her"). She then went out and bought a 2 yo filly because "she always wanted a baby", although she had no knowledge of working with MADE horses much less babies. She was advised not to because of her lack of knowledge and space considerations. Didn't really have room for a 3rd horse to begin with, had hot wire fencing that mostly didn't work, and very little in the way of real grazing.

Was informed by me that the two geldings would fight over the filly. (Nonsense! They'll love her.) After 3rd day, filly impaled herself on a door after one of the geldings cornered her in an open stall (yes, she left all stall doors open so horses could come and go, although she was advised not to for this very reason). She couldn't administer medicine herself to half-wild 2 year old and wanted me to do it.

My reply: I think not, since you know everything and wouldn't listen to sound advice, you can call the vet and pay the price. I'm outta here.

~<>~ COTHBB Leather Care Guru~<>~
          ~Member of the *Horse Vans* clique~

"Learn the rules so you may break them effectively"~Dalai Lama

Comment

I worked for this lady last summer who had a stable at her house. She had a cattle guard (those pipe things in the ground) to keep the horses in, but so she didn't have to open the gate to drive to her house.

Well, the horses were jumping out, so THE GENIUS THAT SHE WAS put in TWO so they couldn't jump out. Well, one horse tried to jump out, and I don't want to go into the gory details, but I found it that morning and he had to be put down.

I quit shortly after that, I felt bad for her losing her horse and all, but SHE WAS SO CLUELESS - and that's being nice!!

Madie

*Bo Frost*
            *American Voodoo*

Comment

All the BBer's who have posted pics of their riding, asked to be critiqued, then got offended when folks gave opinions. Clueless.

Comment

Middle-aged timid, inexperienced lady who decided to pull a ~11 year old QH Stallion who'd been standing in the field unworked for nearly a decade, geld him, and make him into her riding horse.

Oy.

Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!
                Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Comment

One of the weirdest things I ever saw was when I was still a junior and the girl who was #1 in the academic rankings at my school (I went to a prep school, so these things were important), decided she wanted to take lessons at my barn. She was nice, but a very confident know-it-all type who was used to being able to master anything immediately. She had taken lessons a couple of years before, and had learned to jump, and I think she thought it would be like getting back on a bike. Although I was doing the junior hunters on the A circuit at this point, my trainer would stick her in some of my equitation lessons. Three times, when I was trotting along behind her, she on a quiet and easy to ride schoolie, she went from riding perfectly centered to tilting to the side until she was so far tilted that she plopped onto the ground. It was one of the weirdest things I have ever seen in my life- it looked like someone had put a mannequin on a horse and it was slipping sideways. Her back was still perfectly straight the whole time, too, which made it absolutely incredible to watch. Three times. Finally, my trainer, who was looking a little flabbergasted, said- "Jane, you have to actually *grip* the saddle with your legs." She said, "Oh, I thought that you weren't supposed to really touch the horse with your legs, since that would make him gallop."

She finally figured out the legs thing, but it was like watching a robot ride- I think she really couldn't understand how to relate to the horse as a living, fluid being, but instead wanted to be able to drive it like a car. After a few months, she gave up and went back to being Miss Smarty-pants at school and super athelete on the soccer field, where things were easier to control!

You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that wont change its shape. Jets to Brazil
                  You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Comment

One woman I met and taught lessons to that had dreams of becoming a grand prix rider-fell off at the walk-not just fell but flew. I horse stopped and looked at her like she was psycho! Sweet lady, great personality, but this was priceless!!

P.S.: she did change her goals-has decided that dressage is more her speed now. hehehe silly silly woman

Freddie

Proud servant and pet of an OTTB!

Comment

The people who bought the barn I board at last year; never had horses before, are clueless, and the woman is psycho.

Comment

The most clueless thing I've witnessed? Sheesh, where to begin? Most were made by a fellow boarder who was there for only 3 short months. She made more clueless decisions and did more unexplainable things in those 3 months than I've seen in over 20 years of riding combined. She was well meaning...but clueless.
                        1) When lunging her horse in our large dressage sized ring...she didn't want anyone else in it or NEAR it. No movement allowed at ALL near the ring as it distracted her horse's energy. So after trying repeatedly to chase people out of the ring and barnyard, she started her lunging sessions (she never rode that I've seen) she would collect rocks and use them to define her "area" of the ring. She would then tie two lunger lines together and string them across the 65' wide ring from rail to rail up one end. Then proceed to hang blanket brought from home over them to hide the view from her horse. If you made ANY noise on the area of the ring left for use, she'd immediately pop up and tell you to "shush!" This behavior took the cake in her antics, but there are plenty more.
                        2) Different fellow boarder from last year. (Who thankfully moved out) Had a BNT complex and wasn't capable of telling a stud from a mare if it was laid out on it's back with all 4 in the air. She tried: Lunging her exra extra hot TB in it's 12x12 stall, complete with whip and lunge line. Riding her horse in it's 12x12 stall. Wanted the BO to lead her horse into the ring from the barn if she planned on lunging it outdoors. The ring gate is about 30 feet from the barn door. Would pour straight bleach into her horse's auto waterer to clean out the germs. And not rinse it back out or even empty the bleach out. Claimed she was a vet, a BNT, a jockey at Suffolk and an Animal Communicator. Depended on the day what she was. Fed her horse 18 quarts...yes 18...of high octane grain daily, 4 flakes of hay, every supplement known to man and didn't want her horse having more than 1 hour turnout daily. Never rode it, barely lunged it. Had it in blankets in summer, splint boots and hind wraps all year long in it's stall. And couldn't figure out why the 6 year old TB was a keg of gunpowder ready to explode.

Equine Crash Test Dummy
                        Member of: Non-GPA Clique
                        80's Clique
                        Connecticut Clique
                        Helmet Nazi Clique
                        You jump in the saddle,
                        Hold onto the bridle!
                        Jump in the line!
                        ...Belefonte

Comment

person who had owned three horses for years. Bought a new horse. He was delivered wearing a halter. New owner couldn't figure out how to take off a halter that didn't have a snap at the throatlatch (one of the ones where you have to un-buckle the crown piece), so the horse wore the halter all the time, even under the bridle, for at least six months before someone asked the owner about it.

Comment

Wow, MistyBlue. Just...wow. Horses sure do attract some nutters!

Ipsa scientia potestas est...
                            Member of the Dutch Warmblood Clique!
                            "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Comment

We had a new boarder come to our barn who was doing the prelim jumpers and I and another boarder were sitting there watching her school her jumper, she was doing about a 15 meter circle at the cross canter, not an easy feat, the gal sitting next to me (the barn expert ) say's "she's not such a great rider, look she's in the wrong lead! Made me chuckle
                              NO HORSES TO SLAUGHTER CLIQUE
                              http://www.cafepress.com/maneshirts

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clive's Mom:
                                All the BBer's who have posted pics of their riding, asked to be critiqued, then got offended when folks gave opinions. Clueless.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NEW YORK HORSE RESCUE

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MistyBlue:
                                  The most clueless thing I've witnessed? Sheesh, where to begin? Most were made by a fellow boarder who was there for only 3 short months. She made more clueless decisions and did more unexplainable things in those 3 months than I've seen in over 20 years of riding combined. She was well meaning...but clueless.
                                  1) When lunging her horse in our large dressage sized ring...she didn't want anyone else in it or NEAR it. No movement allowed at ALL near the ring as it distracted her horse's energy. So after trying repeatedly to chase people out of the ring and barnyard, she started her lunging sessions (she never rode that I've seen) she would collect rocks and use them to define her "area" of the ring. She would then tie two lunger lines together and string them across the 65' wide ring from rail to rail up one end. Then proceed to hang blanket brought from home over them to hide the view from her horse. If you made ANY noise on the area of the ring left for use, she'd immediately pop up and tell you to "shush!" This behavior took the cake in her antics, but there are plenty more.
                                  2) Different fellow boarder from last year. (Who thankfully moved out) Had a BNT complex and wasn't capable of telling a stud from a mare if it was laid out on it's back with all 4 in the air. She tried: Lunging her exra extra hot TB in it's 12x12 stall, complete with whip and lunge line. Riding her horse in it's 12x12 stall. Wanted the BO to lead her horse into the ring from the barn if she planned on lunging it outdoors. The ring gate is about 30 feet from the barn door. Would pour straight bleach into her horse's auto waterer to clean out the germs. And not rinse it back out or even empty the bleach out. Claimed she was a vet, a BNT, a jockey at Suffolk and an Animal Communicator. Depended on the day what she was. Fed her horse 18 quarts...yes 18...of high octane grain daily, 4 flakes of hay, every supplement known to man and didn't want her horse having more than 1 hour turnout daily. Never rode it, barely lunged it. Had it in blankets in summer, splint boots and hind wraps all year long in it's stall. And couldn't figure out why the 6 year old TB was a keg of gunpowder ready to explode.

Equine Crash Test Dummy
                                  Member of: Non-GPA Clique
                                  80's Clique
                                  Connecticut Clique
                                  Helmet Nazi Clique
                                  <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't even think I could be lunged in that little of a stall .
                                  NO HORSES TO SLAUGHTER CLIQUE
                                  http://www.cafepress.com/maneshirts

Comment

how about someone who trailered our horses to a show once and the entire time we were on the highway he had a flat tire...we called his cell phone and would tell him and he knew?!...he didnt do anything until we had everyone call him to tell him to pull over (we went with atleast 7 other riders!)

Caroline

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                                    un-rated pony clubber and PROUD!

O'Connor obesser extrodinar!...lol (ya have to know me to really get it)

pony ride gone lesson kid gone barn bum gone hunter gone jumper gone eventer gone horse owner gone pony cluber gone crazy!
                                    "Just say what you think and write what you feel and eventually someone somewhere will appreciate it. And that’s all you can ask for." -CRD

Comment

a couple of summers ago i went look at some ponies that belonged to some people in my area. they were western riders, mainly reining. anyways, they had bought 4 ponies that they wanted to resale. the owner, who has grown up around horses, showed the ponies to us. after we had watched the last one go we were standing around with it talking. then she leans over and starts staring under the horse's belly with a weird look on her face. so naturally we looked to see what she was looking at and didn't see anything, so we asked her what was the matter. so she replies "is that a mare or gelding?"

Comment

The best thing I ever saw was one year in FL. The king of equitation was giving a lesson. I was slowly riding by trying to listen in and learn when he asked the class to do a shoulder-in. Two out of three riders were doing it and the third kept trotting. He kept saying shoulder-in louder and louder. Finally he said to the third rider do you know what a shoulder-in is and her response was "yes, sir". He told her to Then Do It! She grabbed her outside shoulder with her inside hand and pulled her shoulder in to towards inside of the ring. The trainer put his bullhorn down and lowered his head without saying a word. I have to think I witnessed one of the few times he has ever been left speechless.

Comment

Working...
                                        X