• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who is from the "olden" days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duh..... yep, it WAS boulder brook. i was in new york visiting last week and it was so good to see her. beth is such a lovely woman, and always so well "turned out". my daddy used to say that she always had her "mane and tail done". beth sweetly took that as the highest compliment.

we went to playland...... dang, that was a walk down memory lane! and the larchmont yacht club. hasn't changed one whit in 50 years.

who was the gentleman who ran the boulder brook facility then? i've forgotten, and she just told me three days ago........

Comment

• just wanted to add, i was reading in the beginning when you all were saying how kids these days don't get to experience the "joy" of owning a horse anymore!

well i'm definitely not the olden days (started riding at 8 years old in 1999), but i got to experience that! i rode western, learned for the first couple years on schoolies, got my first horse, finally after a couple more horses (that i bought myself) i got my "dreamhorse"! i spend every waking moment at the barn, i worked there cleaning stalls and pastures. i spent every weekend in the summer at playdays, riding allllll day long on my 5yo (well not exactly riding all day long, we'd do our class and then just sit and watch the rest of the day) and then swimming in the river! i did all the work on him and he was my BABY. i remember just sitting in his stall playing tug o' war with the leftover alfalfa for like 20 minutes.

kids still do get to experience that stuff! maybe not at the top show barns, but us backyard riders are still doing it!

Comment

• FAIR JUDY

I went absolutly brain dead trying to think who ran Boulder Brook. This morning when I opened this up I REMEMBERED!!!!!!!! IT WAS AL HOMEWOOD. Yeah ! Boy it is not fun getting OLD

Comment

• hey, at least your all young and "hype" enough to be online!
          None of my former trainers are computer literate!

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

• Originally posted by KnKShowmom View Post
            Most of my friends had horses at their houses and we would ride to Caumsett State Park/LI bareback with halters wearing shorts, sneakers, and bathing suits. We would school around the cross country course and end up down on the beach so we could go swimming with the horses.
            Kids are still swimming with their horses at Caumsett although if the park ranger catches you he will give you a lecture and complain about you to the barn management.

Comment

• Originally posted by abird80 View Post
              I'd love to see all the old jumping pics!!!!
              I wish I still had mine... fire destroyed quite a lot but my grandmother has a few salvaged ones left. There was another thread on old saddles we used to ride with and I fondly remember my pancake flat jumping saddle (hand-me-down). I hoping that next time I'm on the east coast visiting, I can squirrel some time to dig through boxes of photos. flat saddles... auto release... tb jumpers

Comment

• Originally posted by OAK View Post
                FAIR JUDY

I went absolutly brain dead trying to think who ran Boulder Brook. This morning when I opened this up I REMEMBERED!!!!!!!! IT WAS AL HOMEWOOD. Yeah ! Boy it is not fun getting OLD
                I also remember a wonderul man named Leon who was running Boulder Brook in 1982-84. The grooms were Randy, Chicken John, Abe and others. Best grooms ever. All excellent horsemen. Once Leon saw me trying to ride my horse who hadn't been out in days and he came over and gave me a quarter. I said "What's this for?" He said "The toll on the Hutch!". (If you have ever been there, you get it. Of course, the tollbooth is gone too now).

Comment

• THAT would have been a Loooooong ride home........

Comment

• West Coast

Originally posted by Linda View Post
                    I rode back in the 60's at Shadowland Ranch in La Jolla with Ruth and Augie Handley. We did lots of shows including the Del Mar Fair show back before the show ringswere redone. The ring was tiny so the fences on course seemed to be stacked almost on top of each other.
                    West Coast, in the 60's and early 70's but further north. My mom and I boarded horses in Malibu and my mom ran the ETI shows at Crummer Field. I remember Larry Langer when he was an aerospace engineer for his day job and wore jeans and white tennis shoes to horse shows.
                    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• [QUOTE=fair judy;4020573]
                      we went to playland...... dang, that was a walk down memory lane! and the larchmont yacht club. hasn't changed one whit in 50 years. QUOTE]

OMG, we used to sail in the regattas at Larchmont! Now thats a place I haven't thought of in years! Glad to see some things haven't changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAC View Post
                        Kids are still swimming with their horses at Caumsett although if the park ranger catches you he will give you a lecture and complain about you to the barn management.
                        You weren't supposed to do it back then either, but you know kids, tell them no and they try twice as hard

All of my friends lived on "The Neck" so it was easy to slip into someone's back yard if we saw the rangers coming - boy those were the days!

We were back on LI for a funeral a few years ago and I couldn't believe how much that area had changed - used to be lovely old estate homes and big tracts of land and now most of the homes look more like banks than houses. Made me a bit sad because it was a beautiful place to grow up especially if you rode.

Comment

• Originally posted by gillisdog View Post
                          I also remember a wonderul man named Leon who was running Boulder Brook in 1982-84. The grooms were Randy, Chicken John, Abe and others. Best grooms ever. All excellent horsemen. Once Leon saw me trying to ride my horse who hadn't been out in days and he came over and gave me a quarter. I said "What's this for?" He said "The toll on the Hutch!". (If you have ever been there, you get it. Of course, the tollbooth is gone too now).
                          Would this man be African-American? If so, Leon had been a groom at BB for many years prior. Hell of a horseman. He even trained a few kids while he was a groom (I am remembering one from the 70's....Kristy Gerstner maybe?). He always had a kind word and a great sense of humor. I guess he's gone now.....
                          Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
                          http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Comment

• Leon was always well dressed, polite and as said beid a great groom. And I remember him back in the early 60's. They don't make that kind anyone. One of a kind!!

Comment

• anyone remember wilkie collins?

Comment

• Leon

Originally posted by OAK View Post
                                Leon was always well dressed, polite and as said beid a great groom. And I remember him back in the early 60's. They don't make that kind anyone. One of a kind!!
                                Yes, he was African-American, and he is gone now. I went to his wake in the late 80's. It was packed with customers, employees, friends; he was very much loved. He was the manager when I was there, and always impeccably dressed. He did teach quite a few kids, including Grant Stinchfield, who was very good! I am so glad people remember him as I do.

Barbara, who sometimes worked in the office there and gave all the horses carrots, bought a farm in Bedford and retired some of the Boulder Brook school horses and gave them a home for life.

Comment

• Originally posted by gillisdog View Post
                                  I also remember a wonderul man named Leon who was running Boulder Brook in 1982-84. The grooms were Randy, Chicken John, Abe and others. Best grooms ever. All excellent horsemen.
                                  Would that be Abe Mingus?
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

• Abe Mungin, who is also sadly gone now.

Comment

• Yes Mungin. That is what I meant. Damn fingers with a mind of their own.

Much missed.
                                      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

• I'll have to point my mom to this thread - she rode at Boulder Brook I would guess in the late 40's, early to mid 50's. And sailed at Larchmont, I think. Don't suppose anyone has any stories to tell about Ellen Flack from back in the day, eh??

I haven't gotten to read this whole thread yet, but have we settled on a cutoff for the olden days?? I've always been more of an eventer and Pony Clubber, but was doing that in the 70's and early 80's.
                                        http://wildwoodfarmnc.com

http://cantersgutenberg.wordpress.co...g-quiet-goose/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post

I haven't gotten to read this whole thread yet, but have we settled on a cutoff for the olden days?? I've always been more of an eventer and Pony Clubber, but was doing that in the 70's and early 80's.
                                          Based on the "Best Jumper" thread, maybe if you saw Gem Twist show in person, not on Youtube?

My mother also showed at Boulder Brook in the 30s and 40s. She couldn't believe it was still standing when I told her I went there a few years ago to look at some horses.

I also heard a funny story recently from someone who was at Boulder Brook in the early 40s. One of the other guys who worked there gave him a ride to work on his motorcycle, and wiped out in the driveway. The motorcycle passenger ended up with a broken leg that he thinks saved his life, since it prevented him from fighting in World War II!

Comment

Working...
                                          X