• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bellissimo has bought COTH!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're experiencing some server traffic overload at the moment (imagine that!) and the tech people are working on it. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Molly

Comment

I personally think maybe we should just wait and see what happens before assuming the guy is going to jump right in and start micromanaging what we can and can't say on the BB. After all, isn't he a pretty busy guy? I mean, I can only imagine a day in the life of......so just maybe he won't have much time to spend lounging around in his jockey shorts on the couch with a beer and his heavy editorial hand swiping all unfavorable posts into the trash. Maybe he is a little too busy for that kind of thing and our board will be left to the mods the way it is now.
      Before I rush to claim I'm jumping ship or cancelling anything, I think I'll give the guy a chance.
      Just sayin'.
      If you love me let me go....

Comment

I appreciate all of the feedback/commentary and understand the importance of both the magazine and this forum to the equestrian community. I would love to convey the following in reference to some themes in the posts;

I believe in Freedom of Speech. As long as the guidelines of the Forums are respected, there will not be any censorship. I will never remove or ask anyone to remove any content or commentary critical of me personally or of any initiatives of WEF, WEP, PBIEC, or any other entity or event in which I am involved.

I believe in the editorial integrity of the Chronicle. It is a critical component of its value and will stay intact. I will not review (nor would I ever expect a member of this editorial team to ask me to review) any coverage of any articles in which any of my entities are involved. The most important element of this purchase was the team at the Chronicle, who I believe are the best in the industry. Anyone who is familiar with Beth Rasin and her editorial team should know that they will not compromise their standards or tolerate anything less than full editorial control of their stories. The best way to lose great people is to not respect their professional standards. I have committed to them that they will have “free rein” in coverage of any and all stories. I am confident that they will report honestly and fairly all activities and events. I expect nothing less.

I am committed to the print publication and we will be investing in expanding circulation.

I am hopeful that you will give us the opportunity to earn your respect and confidence. Actions speak louder than words. I am confident we will deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkBellissimo View Post

I am hopeful that you will give us the opportunity to earn your respect and confidence. Actions speak louder than words. I am confident we will deliver.
          Thank you for taking the time to address this, Mark. I can understand the skepticism from some (I mean, we are horse people) but am looking forward to new initiatives and features to come and plan on keeping an open mind about this until something tells me otherwise.

Comment

Had I known about this impending sale, I would never of renewed last month. I think it will be all about Welly World.

Comment

Originally posted by adhock View Post
              Molly, in all deference to the editorial content of the link you posted: Sounds like a lot of PR spin to me.

The editor/publisher wrote that? Incomplete sentences? The Ohrstrom family (singular) then treated as plural later in the sentence? She was worried that Bellissimo might not be on the up-n-up so she "did some Googling" and found a story about the guy's character on his high school hockey team, called it research and is now reassured?

COTH, really.
              The armchair saddler
              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Warren Buffett invests in a lot of different businesses that have the "experts" scratching their heads at times, so I don't find MB's purchase any different, except he is actively involved in the horse business. All I've seen here is a bunch of conspiracy theories as to how this is going to affect the magazine. Why don't we wait and see before we throw MB under the bus. Would you rather have seen the magazine cease to exist? Obviously the magazine was for sale and Bellissimo purchased it.
                Originally posted by Ruby G. Weber View Post
                I find it curious that a successful business person such as MB would invest in a niche print periodical in a time when many such stalwart publications - with significantly larger circulation - are struggling to stay in print.

As other have noted, time will tell.

Comment

Wow, he's buying all the Ohrstroms' stuff. First Laura Kraut and Nick Skelton, now this.

Comment

Originally posted by JUMPERROUND View Post
                    Had I known about this impending sale, I would never of renewed last month. I think it will be all about Welly World.
                    Why don't you wait and see before deciding you shouldn't have renewed? While I think this ownership could create a conflict of interest, every one seems to be panicking prematurely. A subscription works out to $1.50 per issue, a real bargain IMO. Surely it's worth while to keep an open mind until we see what direction the new ownership takes. Besides, COTH once let me cancel my subscription before it was due to expire, I have always found the staff to be exceptionally accommodating. The alternative could be no COTH at all, a concept I find hard to imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by BAC View Post
                      An online version has been available for quite some time.

I don't see how we can expect objective reporting about WEF and its connections considering the new ownership, despite what COTH claims. But I suppose it is better than letting the publication go bankrupt.
                      It could be worse, BAC. Think of the headline; "Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum buys COTH!"

We'd have the FEI and The Ruler of Dubai to censor us (ask any Brit about his influence there).

H/H forum members have discussed the purchasing/sponsoring habits of the Sheikh in British media interests and have had great reservations about it and are hoping that he would not take an interest in H/H..

They were considering that if the Sheikh was able to purchase H/H that they would be censored. And you BET your sweet bippie they would be.

So.. Bellissimo? We'll see.. but it could be worse..

Comment

I agree skydy, that would be much worse! I think we need to give MB a chance and hope for the best. People are overacting IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BAC View Post
                          Why don't you wait and see before deciding you shouldn't have renewed?... The alternative could be no COTH at all.
                          Exactly.

Comment

What's the point of buying the magazine if nothing is going to change then?
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

Does the purchase of the COTH include the real estate? Or is the building leased?

Comment

Don't be silly

Looking forward to changes. I love the Horse and Hound in Great Britain and would love to see a similar publication in the US. Good luck. PatO

Comment

Originally posted by MarkBellissimo View Post
                                  I appreciate all of the feedback/commentary and understand the importance of both the magazine and this forum to the equestrian community. I would love to convey the following in reference to some themes in the posts;

I believe in Freedom of Speech. As long as the guidelines of the Forums are respected, there will not be any censorship. I will never remove or ask anyone to remove any content or commentary critical of me personally or of any initiatives of WEF, WEP, PBIEC, or any other entity or event in which I am involved.

I believe in the editorial integrity of the Chronicle. It is a critical component of its value and will stay intact. I will not review (nor would I ever expect a member of this editorial team to ask me to review) any coverage of any articles in which any of my entities are involved. The most important element of this purchase was the team at the Chronicle, who I believe are the best in the industry. Anyone who is familiar with Beth Rasin and her editorial team should know that they will not compromise their standards or tolerate anything less than full editorial control of their stories. The best way to lose great people is to not respect their professional standards. I have committed to them that they will have “free rein” in coverage of any and all stories. I am confident that they will report honestly and fairly all activities and events. I expect nothing less.

I am committed to the print publication and we will be investing in expanding circulation.

Mark, thanks for addressing some of the concerns posted on this board regarding your ownership of COTH. I view this change in ownership as an opportunity to inject more resources into the leading equestrian sport publication in the country. I agree that actions speak louder than words.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby G. Weber View Post
                                    Does the purchase of the COTH include the real estate? Or is the building leased?
                                    OH! What about the National Sporting Library?
                                    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Well, if the changes @ PBIEC since Bellisimo & Co. took it over are any indication of what's to come for COTH, I say bring it! Remember the days of turf in the International Ring & *gulp* no Tikki Hut?
                                      Topline Leather -- Bespoke, handwoven browbands & accessories customized with Swarovski crystals, gemstones, & glass seed beads. The original crystal braid & crystal spike browbands!

Comment

Polo is gone. Flat racing is reduced to a blip on the back pages. Hunting and hunt meet coverage are reduced.

The July 8th issue had An editorial response to Dennis Foster's response to the pro PETA/HSUS piece in which the editor fessed up to not even having read Ingrid Newkirk. Then 24 +/- pages of results in 4 (or so) point type.

Maybe things will get better?
                                        madeline
                                        * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                          OH! What about the National Sporting Library?

Interesting points to bring up.

At Mr. Bellissimo, thanks for addressing this. It's nice to have a response from you to da people, and one that is respectful of the forum users and COTH readers.

New Orleans' long time running newspaper was recently bought by a family that renovated it from top to bottom - in a terrible way. Print only runs three days a week (except for during Saints season, when they run on Mondays, and then the "7 days a week tabloid" - whatever, Newhouse), they fired most of the employees, and the list goes on and on. It was devastating for a lot of the people of New Orleans. The (Some)Times Picayune completely changed. This experience has definitely made me wary of similar events. The Newhouses, to be blunt, ruined the paper. I don't even subscribe anymore, and I never go to the website. Maybe I jumped the gun with this, but being cautious never hurt anybody (well, too bad anyways)

It will be an interesting future for this publication, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                          X