• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spin-off: Where were you 10 years ago?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin-off: Where were you 10 years ago?

The thread about Reed got me thinking.. what were you doing 10-12 years ago? I think that the post by Teri was made in 2001, IIRC.

In 2001, I was showing my medium pony in the children's, I was still in jods, and I had just started shipping in for lessons with Kip. I'm not sure I had ever sat on a horse at that point, and I was adamant that I would never jump higher than 3' or maybe 3'6''.*

Now, in 2013, I'm (planning on, haven't started for this year yet) showing my 17-year-old ex-small-junior-hunter in the national standard GPs, I don't have my amateur status, we've been on the cover of a national magazine, and I love jumping bigger stuff. I have Duckie (my pony) again, but she lives in Minnesota and belongs to an adorable little girl who loves her to pieces. I've graduated from college, determined that I'm not so sure of what I want to do with my life but am going to be working in a lab with something that may be my academic passion, and gotten married .

*This statement did not account for invisible rails set at ridiculous heights because I didn't know I would have a horse who sometimes plays "Puissance Horse" for no apparent reason.
    Your turn!
    Last edited by supershorty628; Jun. 13, 2013, 10:20 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
    Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Twelve years ago I had just graduated from college and was in a leave of absence from riding - just picked it back up again about three years ago! Horsie and I were only trotting crossrails a year ago, and my big lug Perch/TB and I play like this now:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps5ace5bda.jpg
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

10 years ago I was jumping clean around the 4'3 jumpers on my young horse, had 6 horses in training including a really nice pre green hunter, and a dozen lesson kids. I alternated between working for a great trainer at big shows and taking along my horse and the hunter...and taking the kids and less fancy green horses to local shows. That fall I went off to law school.

Ten years later, I have a farm, 2 kids and two green horses. The promising jumper is now retired to flat work only, and I still love the tar out of that horse. We have a fat pony and I never show, or jump more than 3'.

In another 10 years I hope to be back in the show ring a bit but as the amateur I am now. I am not a better rider than I was...in fact, I am very much worse...but this sport is a lifelong project. A little detour is okay.
      Last edited by fordtraktor; Jun. 12, 2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

In 2001, I was coming back from some scary falls (to an 11-year old)/ bad trainers.
        This little guy, Mack, was the pony that gave me my confidence back.

10 years ago, in 2003, I was showing in the beginner equitation (twice around the outside crossrail courses) on I Love Lucy.

Now, I'm not riding as much as I'd like to, and I'll be on semi-hiatus for a few years while I'm attending veterinary school. But I had lots of fun in intercollegiate, playing with my guy at shows once in a while, trying to relive the glory days of the 2009 Hampton Classic.

Comment

Mack and I Love Lucy looks like sweet little souls
          Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

Originally posted by PaintedHunter View Post
            Mack and I Love Lucy looks like sweet little souls
            They were! (RIP to both of them)

My first lesson on Mack, I was scared to canter (even though I had cantered and jumped with other instructors). But the trainer wouldn't take no for an answer, and once I started, I didn't want to stop. He was such a good boy.

And Lucy was a funny pony (scared to DEATH of the hose) but she was a real sweetheart and total crossrail packer.

Comment

As a kid I lessoned at a hunt jump barn. Bought my own horse and moved to a trail barn - so, 10-12 years ago I was strictly a trail rider and had been for 29 years!

Then in Oct of 2009 I started taking dressage lessons. Gaited trail mare not happy about going in circles! Rode my "dream horse" in a lesson and bought him in November.

Fast forward to this past fall when we started jumping. This summer we will try to compete in our first mini event. (We have done two CTs so far this summer and survived!)

In 10 years - who knows - I'm just enjoying the ride!
              http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

Oh this is a good one!

10 years ago I was 17 and leasing a wench of a little QH mare: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...551_3882_n.jpg and teaching beginner lessons. I was invincible, and didn't know how much I didn't know. Looking back, the amount of responsibility I was given is terrifying. Nutrition? Saddle fit? Bitting? Wrapping? Riding to influence the horse and help them carry themselves? Nope! I just rode. I was the proverbial big fish in a small pond, and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life except that it would involve horses.

Today, after 10 years of GOOD trainers, better horses, and lots of education and experience, I own a fabulous little GRP that I jump, do dressage, and ride western with. https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...73305169_o.jpg I can safely say that I now know what I'm doing, for the most part! https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...87917261_o.jpg I still teach and train a little, but my "real job" is real estate. My pony has taught me so much, and I'm ready to go wherever our next adventure takes us!
                Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Comment

2003. My husband and I had just celebrated our first anniversary, and I hadn't ridden, other than one or two nose-to-tail trail rides, in over 20 years. And wasn't planning to take up riding ever again.

2006: I picked up riding again at the urging of some friends who had horses and knew I liked them. I took lessons for 1 1/2 years and did a lot of hacking out on one of these friends' horses, and in 2008 bought my mare. We were headed to eventing land. I still own her, but we're both "advised against" jumping because of soundness issues (I had a bad fall off another horse and she has had various problems in her legs and hooves.) We dabble in low level dressage and do some trail riding, clinics etc. She's adorable and in spite of a very rough start, has turned out to be just about perfect for me. (I have had judges tell me that they are SO happy to see an adult ammy riding a suitable horse!)

Poor DH, he had no idea what he was getting into when he married me. Then again, I had no idea at the time either.
                  You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

How fitting... I'm about to turn 26 and the idea that I turned 16 10 years ago freaks me out a bit!

Anyway, 10 years ago I was schooling 4' on my 12 year old Hanoverian mare and showing in the 3' Children's Hunter division: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n..._4216129_n.jpg

I even got to take a lesson with an infamous drug addicted trainer who must have been so under the influence that he let me jump an ex GP horse around a 4'6 course. My friend and I took one lesson from him because she needed to take a video of herself riding a horse for the first time for her NCAA equestrian team try out video... I'm sure I could have done a better job, but that has been the highlight of my horse career.

Now I stare down 2'6 jumps and swear they're 3'6 until my trainer tells me to grow a pair, sit back, and use more leg.
                    Last edited by OveroHunter; Jun. 12, 2013, 12:57 PM.
                    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
                    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

Oh, goodness! In 2001, I was a senior in high school, band geek, and still showing 4H & Ruritan club shows. I could stick tight & flat pretty well, but couldn't find a jump to save my soul. (I had a great first trainer: he wasn't really a H/J guy, but he could teach you to RIDE!)

In between, I've had ten years of more focused H/J lessons, 4 years of IHSA (did wonders for me), have shown as high as adult amateurs, and am currently at 2'6", but aiming for 3' with the TB in my profile pic. In the rest of my life, I work retail and am married to a wonderful, supportive guy!
                      "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

This is fun!

Ten years ago I was in college and had no idea what "real life" was about (but I thought I did). I was showing my ch/ad jumper who was a rockstar. I got another horse who was able to take me to the AO's, I had the best time of my life at WEF where we did very well. I had a great few years showing her, and then real life caught up with me! Both of those horses were the greatest things that ever happened to me, and I miss them both (RIP).

Today I have a promising 7 yr old homebred who has done really well so far. Going to try a few 4' classes at our next show and see how that goes I have a yearling who I have big plans for, but only time will tell. I am also married and have a desk job. Hoping to buy a farmette and bring the ponies home in the near future!
                        Impossible is nothing.

Comment

It's so crazy to look back!,

10 years ago I was 15, working my summer job and had only ridden twice on vacation trail rides in Cape Cod. I had an obsession with any and all things horsey and decided I wanted to pursue my dream of being a jockey. Grabbed a phone book, called a few local barns and set myself up with riding lessons.

Since then, my horsey career has involved hunter/jumpers, tried a little eventing, broke a lot of babies, galloped on the track, rode and won some races (yay), a Paint mare that's 9 now that I've had since she was 6 months(green horse-green rider but it worked out and she's amazing!), ridden some western, taught beginner lessons...I don't think there's much I haven't crossed!

I'm now married, with a 4 month old baby boy and am looking at getting a new horse to get back into lessons/showing more seriously!

Comment

Fun idea.

12 years ago - was just about to quit my job at USDF and buy my first horse. I learned two things working at USDF: it did not pay enough for me to have my own horse, and I did not have the kind of money to be even regionally competitive in the sport. The mare I bought was Paint Horse Breeding Stock and was an excellent trail horse.

Fast forward to today, I have two horses (one a retired show horse, one a Norwegian Fjord), a trailer, all the horse equipment and tack I need, and most of the horse/rider luxuries I want. I got connected into the H/J scene through being hired as a show secretary, and I'm now on the board of our local H/J show circuit.

10 years from now I will still have my Fjord (gods willing), and I would love to own a talented horse for a pro to bring along.

Comment

Great thread!

In 2001/2003 horses were nowhere on my radar! I’d taken a week-long riding camp when I was 10 or so (1992-ish), and that was the extent of my horse experience, even though I’d loved them all my life. I was in college at that time, and way more worried about my relationship-status than anything else.

It wasn’t until 2005 that I came back to horses to try to put some happiness into my very depressing (at the time) life. That year, I started working at a Dressage barn PT in the Spring (in addition to my FT day job) to learn the ropes and to save money to get my first horse. The owner of the barn tried to get me to buy a yearling Friesian (thank God that didn’t happen – knowing what I know now, I had absolutely no business handling something that young!), my Mom tried to get me to buy a Paint weanling (again – way too young!), I almost did buy a made H/J TB gelding, but I ended up with a rescue who turned out to be my heart horse in the Fall of that year. The amount of things that horse has taught me (and put up with from me as I learned!) over the last 8 years is amazing. I absolutely adore him. <3

Here’s the first time I rode him with any tack on (I’d hopped on him 2 or 3 times before this, bareback with halter and lead ropes, until somebody took pity on me and let me borrow their tack until mine was delivered): Gabriel
                              ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
                              4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

In 2003 I was a year away from graduating college and while horses were always on my mind, I never found the time/money to start. That didn't come until around 2007, and the rest is history...

Comment

In 2001 I was 10, finishing doing a crazy year of short stirrup and just starting to do the childrens at bigger shows. Back then, because I had a large we were TRYING to make me look older so I got my first pair of tall boots in 2002 when I fully made the switch to large childrens.

In 2003 I helped break a pony who we eventually purchased and I took her through pony finals. Also, because I was 12 that year I was still able to show in short stirrup locally so I got booted back to that with my three year old baby.

Now in 2013 I am graduating college in August. I just sold my horse and I am excited to get home because my friend just opened her own farm and has a ton of ponies for me to play with. I have decided to take a break from horse ownership until I am fully settled with a job. I never would have thought at 10 and 12 that I would EVER take a break from horses but I actually haven't take a lesson since August 2012 and I have only played around. I haven't sat on a horse since December. As much as it pains me to realize I am not actually participating in the horse world in the way I would like I am lucky to have friends who need an extra hand sometimes.
                                  Oh Sweetheart
                                  Make A Splash
                                  The Adventures of a College Equestrian

Comment

In 2003, I was finishing my freshman year of college. I had just retired my junior horse from strenuous things, and was showing intermediate flat and fences for my IHSA team.

In 2013, I've given up jumping (mostly) and am currently showing FEI level dressage. I hope to make my first international start in a CDI this summer.
                                    Last edited by joiedevie99; Jun. 12, 2013, 03:19 PM.

Comment

In 2001 I was 11 and was running around the pony jumpers winning everything with my little Morgan pony. I had aspirations of being a "horse trainer".

After retiring my pony due to injury in 2003, I spent a year riding random horses before acquiring my current horse, who was 4 at the time. We've since worked our way up from the baby greens, through the childrens, juniors, equitation and a/os all the way up to our high performance debut in 2011. We've since been showing in the derbies and when I get bored of the hunter ring, the low a/o jumpers.

She's now 12 and we'll continue to truck along together doing whatever we please until life tells us otherwise. I'm now done school, currently working in the PR field and have no professional horse aspirations. I love doing it for fun and wouldn't want it any other way.

Comment

Wow. In 2003 I had been out of college for a year. I was working for a wonderful barn as a beginner instructor and assistant barn manager. We were in the process of moving the barn to a brand new facility that was being built from scratch. The boarding and lessons were doing great, I had a cool project horse.

Six years ago, I left that job to start my own farm. Instead, I got married, had a kid, and we all got slammed against the ground repeatedly when the economic floor gave way. We are slowly climbing out of the hole again. The farm is still a plan, but it will take time. I have a retired horse who's losing all his teeth, and a fat trail horse I have no time to ride.

The farm I worked for 10 years ago is doing fantastic, by the way. It's wonderfully depressing to read of everyone's progress while I feel like I've been on a massive backslide. If not for my wonderful husband and kid, well, I'm ready to get back in the horse world and move forward.
                                        "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                                        X