• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Theft of Photographs from Show Photographers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Theft of Photographs from Show Photographers

    If you see the same person consistently posting stolen photos from well-known show photographers, do you report it to the photographer?

    Photographers, how do you prefer this to be handled?

    I actually posted a comment on one photo indicating that I hope it had actually been purchased rather than stolen, and the individual who posted the photo deleted my comment but left the photo up.

    Thoughts?

    It just really irks me, because this is the kind of thing that leads to the photos being so expensive in the first place. And it just reeks of an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

    The person posting the photos is a child, if that makes any difference.

  • #2
    I screen cap it and email it to the photographer.
    Just did it this morning.

    Photo thieves can consider this their heads up
    EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      That's a good idea. Although there are so many stolen photos...I cannot possibly screen cap them all!

      Comment


      • #4
        I would for sure tell the photographer and have done it in the past.


        If the person stole so many that screen capturing them is a huge burden, do a screen shot of a few and send it to the photographer and include a description that there are a high number of photos.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
          If you see the same person consistently posting stolen photos from well-known show photographers, do you report it to the photographer?

          Photographers, how do you prefer this to be handled?

          I actually posted a comment on one photo indicating that I hope it had actually been purchased rather than stolen, and the individual who posted the photo deleted my comment but left the photo up.

          Thoughts?

          It just really irks me, because this is the kind of thing that leads to the photos being so expensive in the first place. And it just reeks of an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

          The person posting the photos is a child, if that makes any difference.

          I agree. But I think the professional horse photographers will be a thing of the past in a few more years. I could see them possibly being around at Devon, Indoors and other major shows, particularly indoors where it is more difficult to get "ringside" But our barn has several people with high quality digital cameras and we always have several good images from these "free" sources.

          I notice many of the "thefts" of pictures from pros are from young riders. I often wonder if they even realize they are stealing. It's very possible they think the photographers name across the picture is advertising for the photographer and you only have to pay if you want a picture without the name. It's so easy to steal a copy it almost seems like it shouldn't be stealing.

          I see it almost daily and have never turned anyone in....

          Comment

          • Original Poster

            #6
            Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
            I agree. But I think the professional horse photographers will be a thing of the past in a few more years. I could see them possibly being around at Devon, Indoors and other major shows, particularly indoors where it is more difficult to get "ringside" But our barn has several people with high quality digital cameras and we always have several good images from these "free" sources.

            I notice many of the "thefts" of pictures from pros are from young riders. I often wonder if they even realize they are stealing. It's very possible they think the photographers name across the picture is advertising for the photographer and you only have to pay if you want a picture without the name. It's so easy to steal a copy it almost seems like it shouldn't be stealing.

            I see it almost daily and have never turned anyone in....
            I hear you on the "young people" thing. However, the photos actually say "STOLEN FROM: ______," and we are not talking about a mentally disabled person posting these photos. Even if the "STOLEN FROM" language had not been on all of the photos, my comment on the photo should have tipped her off and prompted her to delete it (and all of the others) if it was an honest mistake.

            Instead, she deleted my comment and continued posting more stolen photos (and one that appears to have been properly purchased).

            I am all for giving people (especially kids) an opportunity to do things right. But if they don't take that opportunity, I have no problem turning them in.

            And, yes, there are many free options for obtaining photographs from horse shows. That's all fine and good. Many people I know do this. Their photos are nice, but not show photographer quality, usually. However, this person chose instead to steal photographs.

            Comment


            • #7
              One of my good riding friends parents are well known photographers and go to most of the A shows in the area. They are well aware of those that continue to put unpaid pictures up on their Facebook but have given up for the most part on reporting them as the people will just repost them.

              Comment

              • Original Poster

                #8
                Originally posted by SimplyStated View Post
                One of my good riding friends parents are well known photographers and go to most of the A shows in the area. They are well aware of those that continue to put unpaid pictures up on their Facebook but have given up for the most part on reporting them as the people will just repost them.
                If they were smart, they would stop photographing those people!

                Comment


                • #9
                  As a relatively young person myself, I see tons of stolen/watermarked photos on my Facebook newsfeed from a lot of "big name" juniors, if you will. It seems to me that it's almost gotten to the point that some watermarks are almost a "status symbol" for some riders to show that they compete at a high enough level to have their picture taken by that particular photo company (i.e. a James Parker photo from Devon). Then follows a slew of paparazzi-style "candids", all usually still bearing the watermark.

                  I don't mean this as any knock against JPP (all of their shots are always breathtaking) or any other photo company and it could be that all of these young riders are Book clients that have already paid for the right to use all of these images how they so choose, but it seems to send a message to the younger set that looks up to these top junior riders that it's not only OKAY to post watermarked pictures, but that it's almost COOL.

                  I may have totally missed the mark on this and might be the only weirdo that notices this. I dunno.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have reported several people who have posted stolen photographs on their Facebook pages, and the photographers are always really appreciative... but no idea if any action has been taken. If you like the photo enough to post it, then pay for it.

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #11
                      Originally posted by alternativename View Post
                      As a relatively young person myself, I see tons of stolen/watermarked photos on my Facebook newsfeed from a lot of "big name" juniors, if you will. It seems to me that it's almost gotten to the point that some watermarks are almost a "status symbol" for some riders to show that they compete at a high enough level to have their picture taken by that particular photo company (i.e. a James Parker photo from Devon). Then follows a slew of paparazzi-style "candids", all usually still bearing the watermark.

                      I don't mean this as any knock against JPP (all of their shots are always breathtaking) or any other photo company and it could be that all of these young riders are Book clients that have already paid for the right to use all of these images how they so choose, but it seems to send a message to the younger set that looks up to these top junior riders that it's not only OKAY to post watermarked pictures, but that it's almost COOL.

                      I may have totally missed the mark on this and might be the only weirdo that notices this. I dunno.
                      And you could be right. Which is why I asked this particular person if the photo was stolen. My comment was deleted and then more stolen photos were posted. I've emailed the photographer with some of the photos, so the photographer can do as they see fit. I would think that if there were a special arrangement, the photographer would provide photos to the person in question without the "STOLEN FROM" watermark plainly visible.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It seems lately the trend in show photography is to have people pay a fee up front if they want to be photographed and the photographer only photographs the people who have 'reserved' the photographer for a class. That puts a damper on stealing photos since there are no photos of that person.
                        Chambermaid to....
                        Lilly
                        Reggie

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I heard somewhere that if you put a photo on facebook they automatically own the copyright, per the user agreement... If thats true I wonder how that works with a stolen photograph that has been posted there?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I saw several photos from one photographer on someone's facebook and I reported it to the show manager to report to the photographer. I know of one photographer who posted proofs online that would block certain people's links because they had a history of stealing proofs.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Screen cap and notify photographer. Although I have yet to get any acknowledgement from a photographer, so no idea if they actually care..
                              Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                              Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                              VW sucks.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                                I hear you on the "young people" thing. However, the photos actually say "STOLEN FROM: ______," and we are not talking about a mentally disabled person posting these photos. Even if the "STOLEN FROM" language had not been on all of the photos, my comment on the photo should have tipped her off and prompted her to delete it (and all of the others) if it was an honest mistake.

                                Instead, she deleted my comment and continued posting more stolen photos (and one that appears to have been properly purchased).

                                I am all for giving people (especially kids) an opportunity to do things right. But if they don't take that opportunity, I have no problem turning them in.

                                And, yes, there are many free options for obtaining photographs from horse shows. That's all fine and good. Many people I know do this. Their photos are nice, but not show photographer quality, usually. However, this person chose instead to steal photographs.
                                No arguement from me. I guess my excuse for not turning them in is "they are good kids". That obviously doesn't help the photographer or prices and probably doesn't help the kids either.

                                Hmmmmm something to consider. I think I'll ask a few trainer friends that have "kid" clients if they have ever spoken about this to their "clients". Also maybe the horse show office could attach a note to each show bill reminding us that it is stealing. I would imagine it is very difficult for the photographer to police this issue, even if they are getting notifications.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
                                  Also maybe the horse show office could attach a note to each show bill reminding us that it is stealing. I would imagine it is very difficult for the photographer to police this issue, even if they are getting notifications.
                                  This won't stop it. My friend that is a photographer has you sign a legal statement on each order regarding copyright law and she still has pictures stolen/misused all the time.
                                  Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                                  Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by RugBug View Post
                                    This won't stop it. My friend that is a photographer has you sign a legal statement on each order regarding copyright law and she still has pictures stolen/misused all the time.
                                    yea i keep going with the "hope" that they aren't knowingly stealing. I guess i'm naive in my thoughts. I just can't imagine stealing them and then publicly posting them.....

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Based on the details you have provided, I know exactly who you are talking about. I know for a fact that she has purchased the pictures, including the one you commented on, as well as many others.
                                      I agree with the fact that it is wrong, but you will be hard pressed to find a junior who doesn't have 25 albums full of pictures from their horse shows - and honestly, most of these people buy the pictures.
                                      Look at the article on that Commentary horse, and why they reregistered it. Larry Glefke's response to having a horse with an international record showing in the greens was "everyone is doing it!", and he is a grown man. In this case, you're talking about a fourteen year old kid - if everyone else is posting pictures, they will too.

                                      ETA - I counted, and I believe there's seven total stolen pictures on her Facebook, and 8-10 properly purchased pictures. It's not like she has two hundred thousand stolen pictures plastered everywhere.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by iEquitate View Post
                                        Based on the details you have provided, I know exactly who you are talking about. I know for a fact that she has purchased the pictures, including the one you commented on, as well as many others.
                                        Thus brings back my theory about wanting to leave the watermark on for the "cool" factor. Why not post the non-watermarked version if she owns the pictures?

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X