• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How talented do you *really* think you (or your offspring) are?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How talented do you *really* think you (or your offspring) are?

Title edited to attract more parents.

I ask this because on two separate threads here the sentiment of being priced out of the top levels of competition has been discussed, with some lamenting the fact that many can't afford it. This is not new, of course.

Even if you could afford showing at the top levels, are you really that talented of a rider to be competitive?

(Note, I know some people who post here already participate and are competitive at the top levels...)

Many people work very hard at their riding skill. It doesn't mean they are talented.

I say this as someone who has a close connection to an Olympic gold medalist (in a non-equestrian sport). He understands that if you don't have exceptional talent, it doesn't matter how hard you work at it, you're not going to be competitive. I am glad I learned this lesson at a relatively young age.

The people I see who are competitive are those who are exceptionally talented, are hard-workers, and are in the right circumstances to have the opportunity to excel.

So, let's say you have all the money and time in the world. Do you think you actually have the *talent* to be competitive among top level riders?

For myself, the answer is a resounding "no". If/when I have that kind of money, I will happily back a pro or young rider as an owner. It would make no sense for me to be the rider of an exceptionally talented horse.
    Last edited by TrakHack; Jun. 5, 2013, 12:35 PM.

As an adult learner, I'd say I have no talent at all.

For the most part, I think there's a perfect storm around those that are competitive. They have innate talent, a knowledgeable group of people to mold that talent, and access to the right horses at the right time (not necessarily the most expensive, but ones that have challenged the rider in a good way or taught them a pivotal lesson). Having some money to spend on the above might help too.

Comment

Heck no! Neither the talent nor the courage!

Comment

LOL...I have no natural talent. It's all learned (and still learning)...all of the money in the world WOULD make me a better rider - I'm positive of that .

Comment

No. However, if I could do it just once, I would. Just for the experience of having done it.

Comment

You can definitely see the difference between a rider with innate talent, they just have a natural feel versus riders that are "made" through hard work and a lot of times money/access to the right horses at the right time. There are some people (myself included!) that just don't have the courage, natural feel, or desire to do the horse thing as anything more than a very intensive hobby. All the money and time in the world could make anyone a *better* rider just from repeated practice, but some people are just not ever going to get to the top of the sport.

Comment

The title of this thread should be...

How talented do you "really" think you *WERE*. The only thing a tiny bit more frustrating than being young, and pretty darn talented according to some pretty BN people who knew what talent was, but having not enough financial access to compete nice horses (sold on to BNT BNRs) is finally
              being in a position to have nice horses and compete, but not being, any longer, physically able to do so (typed having just gotten on of the hospital for my back and wearing a knee brace).

At the point I am now, I'm really really, glad that riding is NOT how I'm making my living, because for the last six months, I'd be starving to death.

If you had asked me 35 years ago "if" I had enough talent to make it to the top, well, there was a slew of top name big guns back then, I'd have been about third tier I guess, with the horses I had access to, if the finances had been there. For awhile, I had the $$ to compete, but the horses weren't as much.

Now.... nope.

Comment

Originally posted by TrakHack View Post
                Or DD/DS, if you are a mother.

I ask this because on two separate threads here the sentiment of being priced out of the top levels of competition has been discussed, with some lamenting the fact that many can't afford it. This is not new, of course.

Even if you could afford showing at the top levels, are you really that talented of a rider to be competitive?

(Note, I know some people who post here already participate and are competitive at the top levels...)

Many people work very hard at their riding skill. It doesn't mean they are talented.

I say this as someone who has a close connection to an Olympic gold medalist (in a non-equestrian sport). He understands that if you don't have exceptional talent, it doesn't matter how hard you work at it, you're not going to be competitive. I am glad I learned this lesson at a relatively young age.

The people I see who are competitive are those who are exceptionally talented, are hard-workers, and are in the right circumstances to have the opportunity to excel.

So, let's say you have all the money and time in the world. Do you think you actually have the *talent* to be competitive among top level riders?

For myself, the answer is a resounding "no". If/when I have that kind of money, I will happily back a pro or young rider as an owner. It would make no sense for me to be the rider of an exceptionally talented horse.
                I have a good eye and a good intrinsic feel for pace. Beyond that, I'd say meh... average talent.

However, depending on how you define "competitive among top level riders," then the answer is, "maybe."

For example, there are top level amateur hunter riders who never have to jump more than 3'6" or 3'9" ...I believe that with the right horse, being competitive in that ring is very achievable for riders of average talent who are willing to work hard (assuming access to a good program, training, etc.)

I do not personally think the same can be said for, say, GP level jumping, high level eventing, etc. Although GM famously said he was successful sheerly through force of will and exceptional effort; he claims he had no eye and terrible nerves throughout most of his competitive career. So who knows?
                We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by DancingArabian View Post
                  No. However, if I could do it just once, I would. Just for the experience of having done it.
                  ^
                  Originally posted by rustbreeches
                  [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Comment

Not exceptionally so, but I could definitely be a LOT better with more funding for lessons and training for my horse to not make him so uncooperative. Oh, and funding for a bigger stash of xanax
                    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

I would say I'm more stubborn than talented! If I'd had other opportunities when I was young - who knows - I'm not very competitive though. I enjoy showing (just schooling shows for me) because it gives me a good gauge as to where we're at. And I think it's good to get off the property, at least once a year.
                      http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

While yes, horseback riding at the highest levels requires natural talent – I will argue that in contrast to many sports, skills can be learned that can overcome a lack of natural talent.

And even more than talent, do you have the DRIVE to become a top rider?

Makes me think of a girl (now woman) who I rode with growing up. She was a member the gold winning Pan American eventing team last year. She will tell you that she does NOT have “natural” talent, rather worked her butt off to acquire the skills she needed.

Personally – I do not think I have “natural” talent, but at one point in life had the DRIVE needed to improve greatly.

When I started riding as a kid – I had no balance, struggled on a lunge line learning to post. But I had DRIVE. In just over 4 years I went from on the lunge line – to bringing my own green horse up to, and competed at the prelim level eventing.

If I had the will, and the way to focus my life around riding (ie didn’t have to work and commute 13 hours a day). I think I could be a pretty good rider. Add a million+ horse and training budget, I bet I could do okay.

Edited to add- I think *this* is what gets you to the top vs. natural talent.

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't"
                        APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I strongly recommend a book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell for some very interesting insight into this topic.

Comment

For myself, I believe I have some talent and natural riding ability but to hang at the top levels with some of the big names probably not lol. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I don't have the guts to jump high anymore for one. I do mainly dressage now but I still don't think I have the natural talent of our olympians. I do believe if I had the horse and money I could hang with a lot of the AAs in dressage showing at higher levels.

For my child, I do believe she could go a long ways. She has a extremely natural form and talent on a horse. The problem is her sticking to it. She hasn't ridden in years, except for a week 2 summers ago at a camp. Before then it was about 3 years since she had ridden. She has started back and her first lesson she was trotting nicely, very steady and natural. Knew her diagonals and would correct on her own and knew leg pressure and how to ride from the leg which was not taught when she was younger but in listening to me talking over the years she has it down and can actually implement it without being told or taught. She is tight in the tack and truth be told looks better than me that rides 3 times a week at least when time permits. I hope she does stick with it this time because I do believe she could go a long ways.
                            Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

And I recommend:

How Good Riders Get Good: Daily Choices That Lead to Success in Any Equestrian Sport
                              APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I had natural talent for riding (still do, I suppose) as a kid, and I'm sure my brother still wants to smack me as a lot of stuff just comes easy for me that he has to work on, but I have zero nerve, which is fine as while it turns out we rather DID have the money, my parents refused to spend that kind of dough on horse shows, especially if I was scared half the time. Which is probably the right decision. Talent's nice but without nerve, drive, and financial backing, it won't get you very far.
                                Author Page
                                Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

This reminds me of a signature line I saw once and really liked. Something along the lines of "Most people don't need a $50,000 horse. Most people need a $5000 horse and $45,000 worth of lessons."
                                  This certainly applies to me

Comment

I have minimal natural talent. I have enough insight to recognize that my lack of body awareness/control and minimal confidence are barriers that would not be solved by a $$$ horse alone. I also have taken 8 lessons in the last 6 years and have a horse I desperately love who is an awful match for me.
                                    If the stars aligned I think I could be a nice rider. Not exceptional but nice. A few lessons a week and a schoolmaster can fix a plethora of issues. I don't think all of the money in the world could turn me into a top derby rider or GP candidate.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HazelG View Post
                                      I strongly recommend a book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell for some very interesting insight into this topic.
                                      Yes, Malcolm was the key note speaker at my company's annual conference a few years ago. Love his books.

The drive, the habits, the hard work can help compensate for lack of natural talent, but let's say you have all of those. Do you have the exceptional talent to join the drive, habits, and hard work so you can compete with the best of the best?

My thought here is that it doesn't make sense for me to be discouraged by the cost of competing at WEF/Devon/Indoors/Pony Finals because it would only be "to have the experience". There definitely is value in having the experience, and I totally am on board with the people who would love to do it once just to do it.

For myself, I greatly enjoy the experience of these top shows as a spectator, and then I go home and ride my horses at my own talent level within my current means and don't despair the competitions out of my price range.

Comment

Originally posted by danceronice View Post
                                        Talent's nice but without nerve, drive, and financial backing, it won't get you very far.
                                        Without the financial backing, nerve and drive are kind of untapped, so to answer the OP question honestly, I don't know. I sure had the nerve and drive when I was younger, but never had the financial backing. I have now after almost 40 years of riding decided to stay in my little niche of being a no-name.
                                        Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
                                        Takaupas Top Gold
                                        Gifts Black Gold Knight

Comment

Working...
                                        X