• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How many times should I ride my horse during the week?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times should I ride my horse during the week?

Do you think it is okay to flat Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sun. (40mins) and jump tues, thurs, and sat (gymnastics and some course work but not very big)? Or is it too much? Then add a rest day on a jumping day. I have a 6 y/o jumper who I'll start showing this summer.

Originally posted by jumperguy45 View Post
    Do you think it is okay to flat Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sun. (40mins) and jump tues, thurs, and sat (gymnastics and some course work but not very big)? Or is it too much? Then add a rest day on a jumping day. I have a 6 y/o jumper who I'll start showing this summer.
    I think it really depends on the horse. I dont think all horses need 6-7 days a week of riding, but if they do not receive any turnout, exercise is important for them.

I am more of a minimalist, my hunter is ridden on average 2 days during the week, and shows on weekends. In the winter when he doesnt show, he is ridden anywhere from 3-5 days a week, however he does go outside every day so is never locked in a stall for 24 hours. He knows his job however, and doesnt need "schooling" on a regular basis.

The young horse (just turning 3) gets 10 minutes about 3 times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by jumperguy45 View Post
      I think that's too much. I would give the horse at least one day off a week (or two) and one day of lighter work (trail ride or light hack). I would never jump a horse more than once or twice a week.

Comment

This is my schedule, just as a comparison. Jumping lesson Monday, light hack Tuesday, lesson Wednesday, light hack Thursday, stamina or pole work Friday (lots of trotting lotsssss) mostly anything I need to work on for the flat and to supplement any problems I've had, Saturday day off, Sunday hack and little jumps (like crossrails and little verticals just to pop over for fun) and the. Repeat. In my lessons the jumps are always under 3'3" and we work more on quality work than quantity work. My personal philosophy is that 3 days jumping a week is enough because that's how much he'd do at most shows, and of course this schedule will get cut off for shows a lot.
        Mendokuse

Comment

Also to add (too lazy to edit my previous post) the jumping amount seems fine, but I feel like you'd be better off having one rest day every week on a hacking day and maybe only jump 2 times a week every other week. Something I like to do with my horses is give them two days instead of one day off every other week. Our show schedule leaves us showing all June except the first week of June, so after those three weeks straight I'll give the horses half a week off and do mostly just light work and jump 2 days a week and hack two until we show again in early August.
          Mendokuse

Comment

I squally ride/school horses 3-5 days per week, jumping 1 or 2 times a week. Usually one. At shows, we jump almost every day but only jump the course maybe twice on schooling days.

Comment

I think every horse deserves at least one day off a week. I always flat the day before I jump and my horses (except the show horse prima donna) really enjoy hacking out.

Typically, I will give them Sunday and/or Monday off, light hack (trail ride with some trotting) Tuesday, lesson Wednesday, hack Thursday, lesson Friday, hack Saturday. I try not to jump my horses consecutive two days unless showing and never jump more than 3x weekly, usually 2x.

I find my horses really appreciate having a day or two off a week. They get turned out all day and can just be horses.

Comment

At 6, I'd probably be jumping him less and giving him at least one day a week off, and if you're going to work him 6 days/week, make one of those a light hack/trail or put him through the jumping chute.

Don't overwork him now, and he'll be sound for years to come.

Comment

That seems like a little much. I'm all for getting horses out 6 days a week, I believe keeping them fit helps keep them sound, especially once they start jumping at the upper levels (they have the musculature to support their bone/tendon structures around tight turns, off of big jumps, etc.). However, the barn I ride with (jumpers only, clients from .70s to 1.30s) we typically flat (as in, actual dressage) 4-5 days a week, jump 1 day a week (sometimes 1 day every other week) and only jump the horses up on occasion (a week or two out from a big show). So most of the time, the "big" horses cruise around .90-1.0m jumps at home. I think in four years I have seen my trainer jump a "big" horse up 3 times, and it has been a different horse each time.

If the riders need more practice, that is what ground poles are for. Yes, sometimes the grand prix horses do ground poles. They're awesome, they make you ride like you are riding a jump without actually exerting the forces of jumping on your horse.

I like to throw a hack day in there where I hack my mare outside the arena, but this is because she can get a little ring sour otherwise. Plenty of the other horses can get by with an easy day every week- 20-30 min, w/t/c and reverse without really anything required of them.

That said, we are somewhat of an anomaly. I talked to my trainer about this, and he said that where he is from (outside the US) horses are jumped fairly minimally. Trainers try to keep wear-and-tear to a minimum. He has always been wary of the American "jump them all the time/into the ground" system of training, and has structured his program accordingly. Thus we have 16 and 17 yo horses still doing 3'+, no biggie (they don't need to be amped up on bute/previcox, they just need their regular joint supplements).

Just something to think about.

Comment

With my older gelding I ride 6 times a week, 4 times a week I'm just flatting myself or some little tiny jump work for about 45 minutes to an hour. I lesson twice a week usually one lesson is lots of flat work and some grids or jump exercise. The next jump lesson is usually course work. My horse is 15 and if he isn't ridden the full 6 times a week he gets really unfit. We don't jump over 3 foot occasionally we will have some 1.10 work (about once a month) Just depends on your horse!

Comment

With my mare we do five days in a row of moderate flat work (25-30 mins.) with two days off in a row (this is different from what we normally did because she's not 100% right now and we're just waiting until we can get her sorted out to bring her back to full work). When she was in full work we did 6 days a week, five days of quality flatwork, usually 45 minutes, and one day of jumping in lessons. We schooled 2'9" in lessons only. If I jumped another time it was usually lower than what we did in lessons and we only did a single or a line a few times. The number of light days she had depended on how good she was--a lot of times we would have a few short and sweet rides during the week because she was being really good. Other weeks she only had one or even no light days; just her six days and then her day off. Like others have said, it depends on your horse. Dottie has great endurance and she can go a lot longer than some horses without getting tired. Just as an example, there's a pony at the barn who can put in a good 30 minute ride with quality work, but after that she's done. It really depends on your horse--that's what you'll have to base your work schedule off of.
                      If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
                      If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
                      If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Comment

• Original Poster

My trainer and I have reevaluated my horse's program to this:

Monday: Day off (but still gets groomed and quality time)

Tuesday: 15-20 min light flat (This helped me a lot because you can see what you need to work on during the week).

Wednesday: Same as Tuesday...but a little more trot and canter work.

Thursday: Hard Flat 35-40min (turns, lateral movements, circles, collecting and lengthening, etc.)

Friday: Same as Thursday

Saturday: Same as Thur. and Fri. but with a little pole work

Sunday: Jump (gymnastics, lines, etc.)

- I went out in a field close to out barn and have started to do Tue-Sat out there. He seems to really enjoy being outside and same do I (we have a cover barn/arena...sometimes it feels like being in a cave). Thanks for the help! He has improved a lot since we changed his program!

Comment

• Original Poster

I also forgot that sometimes we'll give him Sunday off as well.

Comment

I try to give my horse GOOD works at least 5 days a week. Would prefer 6 but at least 5. On some occasions he gets a trail ride. Generally jump twice a week, though right now we are doing short jump sessions 3 times a week as we are in a bit of a 'rush' to get him ready for show season after he had some time off (not a soft tissue issue or anything). I don't think you can get good fitness on a horse with less than 5 good works a week, but my horse is my 1.20 (hopefully 1.30 late this year) horse so he really needs good fitness and schooling. More so than your average 0.9-1.0 jumper would need.

Comment

My horse would be very very upset if she did not get at least two nice long trail rides per week- preferably at the beach!!!

Comment

I’ve worked off this schedule since my horse was about 5 (with appropriate jumping/work for age).

Monday: flat in ring
                                Tuesday: Jumping lesson
                                Wednesday: light flat (in field if weather permitting)
                                Thursday: flat in ring
                                Friday: flat (sometimes outside ring)
                                Saturday: Light jumping/gymnastics/small derby jumps in field (we are talking 2'9 at the max here).
                                Sunday: off

I don’t stable all week at shows, just stable sat/sun. If I show I do the one jump school Tuesday and Friday is a light flat. If I do several show weekends back to back, she will usually not have a jump lesson Tuesday (she knows her job, its more for me anyway).

Comment

My horse is 9 and is one that we can't over work or else he gets a little ouchy.

Monday: Off
                                  Tuesday: Flat
                                  Wednesday: Either off or mostly flat with some jumping
                                  Thursday: Jump
                                  Friday: Off
                                  Saturday and Sunday: Flat and some jump one day or the other (jumping depends on if my trainer is home or away at a show)

Obviously this changes a bit if it is a show week. Show weeks we try and ramp up the amount of work he is doing so he peaks on the show day(s) and has his head in the game.

Comment

I think working out a plan with your trainer is the best thing you can do.

My workout frequency and intensity varies greatly by horse. I have one mare who needs to get ridden 7 days a week. She gets days off here and there (like when I'm traveling for work), but generally I try to keep her going as consistently as possible. This is the mare that I jumped 6(ish) days a week and did 2-a-day rides on when she was showing in the upper level jumpers. She's 17 now, and doesn't jump as often (we're down to once or twice a week), but is still sound and sturdy after 10+ years of a high frequency, high intensity schedule.

My TB, also in the big jumper ring, gets ridden 6(ish) days a week. I try to aim for one long hack out on the trails (often after a light hack in the ring), and every other day is the same routine (15-20 min of long and low trot/canter, 20-30 min of connected/dressage work, 3-4 times a week we add in a handful of jumps). Lower intensity and moderately lower frequency than my mare, but he needs a lot less work to stay "fighting fit."

I try to abide by the "ride the age" rule with my youngsters (no more than 3 days a week or a 3yo, 4 days a week for a 4yo, etc.) until they hit their 6yo year. At that point I evaluate what they need and adjust accordingly. But even there I play around with what the horse needs. With 3 and 4 year olds, I'll often do riding "clusters" where I ride every day for 5 or 6 days until we achieve an objective and then give them a couple of weeks off.

But at the end of the day, I try to be very aware of what the individual horse needs to stay fit and aim to follow that schedule. Your trainer should have the best view of your path (past, present, and future) and should be able to guide you along a conditioning plan to achieve your goals. It's impossible to say over the internet what YOUR horse needs because it could be a lot, a little, or anywhere in between. And there are a lot of other factors that we don't know - level of riding/showing, footing conditions, the shape your horse is currently in (beyond just physical condition to the quality of shoeing, time in/out, etc.), and so on.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with 7 rides a week. One of them can be as simple as a good marching walk for 20-30 minutes. That's BETTER for horses who are stalled at least 12 hours a day. If they are turned out 23x7 in a large pasture and are moving all the time, then 1 day off is quite fine since they're still getting a good amount of movement.

I'm more concerned about 3 days of jumping if they're all a "jump day" as opposed to some light jumping thrown in a flat workout.

40 minutes a ride isn't a lot of work, unless maybe it's 35 minutes of t/c work and only 5 minutes walking, and that's not a good way to ride anyway

Comment

Not only jumping too much but not doing enough REAL flatwork. Going around and around the ring w/t/c both ways on a loose rein isn't real flatwork. 30 minutes isn't real flatwork. I'm always appalled at some of the 1st Yr horses at some local A shows who have *zero* topline because they never do real flatwork

Comment

Working...
                                        X