• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hunter braids - how to videos & tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter braids - how to videos & tips?

Help a poor eventer out please! I have looked on Youtube for videos (and searched this forum) but so far I haven't been able to duplicate hunter braids.

The "best" one I've found is this:
    Free braiding lesson 1 by johnthebraider

But he goes so fast I have a hard time figuring out exactly what he's doing with his fingers! There are a LOT of complicated knots and techniques going on!

The other videos are far simpler, but don't seem to show the techniques that actually make those little bumps and keep your braids tight.

I paid for a professional job at my last show, and although I watched her, again, she went so fast that I couldn't figure it out (and I couldn't practice as I watched, so it didn't really help anyway). She did tell me my mane was pulled "just right" so at least I have that going for me.

I have 2 horses showing next weekend and the thought of paying another $300 on top of my $1200 of entries is making me physically ill... but they are both for sale and need to look nice. Help!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Have no tips for you because I can't braid worth a darn, but John (whose video you posted) used to braid my horses in Texas... He's a character but he was and still is the best braider I've ever seen. If you look in the comments of some of his other videos, it looks like he's answered a lot of questions for people.

Comment

I learned from the video by Stacy Huls I think that is her name. I think it is called Braiding for the hunter seat horse or something like that.
      "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
      - quoted by Martha Drum

Comment

I learned by the John the Braider video. I watched it over. and over. and over. For days. Then I practiced for about 20 minutes every other day (four or five braids per day). Then I watched the video again! Now I can do a half decent set of braids, though certainly not A circuit quality. I'll get there eventually with enough practice.

I haven't found another video that shows the knots as well, and the other methods shown either don't hide the tail end of the braids as nicely or don't hold the braids as strongly. And the braids I do are kind of a pain to undo. Definitely invest in a good seam ripper and multiple latch hooks. The morning of my first show I broke the latch hook I was using and I would have been screwed without a backup! Other tips to remember are:count the crossovers for each braid and use the same number for each braid, always take the same amount of hair, get a nice sturdy stool and a belt or pouch to hold your stuff, and have lots more precut yarn than you think you'll need.

However, unless you spend a full three hours doing the average 36-40+ hunter braids (I'm not kidding about the time frame - my first full braiding job took me 2 hours plus another half hour for the tail, and I only did 20 braids!) and really make them look nice, you will be better off with a pro. It's the all important braiding down that takes the time, not the tying up. You can't gain enough experience in a few days to get the horses looking as nice as a pro will.

As a side note, for easy button braids I use this technique. This video from the same people also shows how to do the forelock, and John the Braider also has a forelock video.

Comment

There is a series of videos by Rules for Riders on youtube that show how to braid. How to braid the mane is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqb5zhNYVjU.

I use some different techniques for knots and than what is taught on the video and things such as keeping all the braids the same in length seems to be lost in this video, but it seems like a good place to start if you are just learning.

I also watched the lucky braids video....even though I have braided my own horses for years, this helped me get a routine down so my braids look the same each time.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the input!

I should note that I do nice forelocks & tails (I was complimented by other hunters at the last show!) and can button braid with the best of them (groomed for Olympic rider for 8+ show seasons). I have been doing:

-counting number of cross-overs

-making sure braids are same length/thickness & knots at the ends line up

-trying to make them all the same size once tucked under & tied up - learned on COTH that the "bottom line" is very important for an even look

My struggle is with the "bumps", straightness, and the tails of the braids. Trying to follow John's video my fingers are fumbling so much that I almost feel drunk
            Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

I learned by the lucky braids video.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by comingback View Post
                There is a series of videos by Rules for Riders on youtube that show how to braid. How to braid the mane is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqb5zhNYVjU.
                comingback - what other knots do you do? Also, are the knots she does at the bottoms of her braids any easier to take out with the stitch ripper? (They look harder!)

Thanks for this video. It was long & slow which turned out to be great - I could understand some of the complicated cross-overs and knots, (because she did them slowly and several times over). So now I understand the John the Braider video

I did 3 braids tonight that actually looked the part Will keep working on it!
                Blugal

Comment

The Lucky Braids video or CD is excellent, she is very careful to show you in detail her technique. However she does not show how to braid tails. There is another video called Braiding Techniques I think and it gives very explicit instructions with pictures on tails in addition to manes. It was a lot cheaper than the Lucky Braids video, I think I got it from Dover.

Comment

Originally posted by Blugal View Post
                    comingback - what other knots do you do? Also, are the knots she does at the bottoms of her braids any easier to take out with the stitch ripper? (They look harder!)
                    When I tie off at the end I bring both strings around in the knot where she only does one. She also says she braids down as far as she can go, but I go down as far as needed to keep all the braids even and usually have about half an inch to an inch of tail left.

When I tie up, I do a surgeons knot under the braid where she only crisscrosses them. I find that if my braid is crooked when I braided down, I can straighten it at this point by placing my thumb in the middle of the braid and pulling on the yarn on the side that needs more tension. Like her video, I do the surgeons knot on top, again on bottom, and then a normal knot under to finish. Again if the braid is skewing at this point in some way I can put my thumb in the middle and pull the yarn a little stronger on one side to get the braid to where I want.

Usually the tails at the braid's end hide themselves as long as I have popped the knot into the crest when I pulled up. If not...I do something similar to what the John the braider does to hide them. If the mane is just too long...well that's a different story

Regarding taking them out...wetting the mane will make you braids come out so much easier, so make sure you do that before cutting anything. I usually just take a seam ripper and pull it down through the knot at the bottom. It's relatively easy and quick. If I'm feeling really ambitious I may just pull the mane out of the knot (which is easier when the braids are wet). Then they usually just "fall out" from there.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by comingback View Post
                      Hope that helps.
                      Yes, definitely! I've been doing the knot at the end using both strings (from someone else's video), so based on your description I will just keep doing that.
                      Blugal

Comment

I would suggest contacting Top Turnout and buying a copy of her Lucky braids DVD. It is about 1/4 the cost of what you are paying a braider.
                        A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                        Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

• Original Poster

Success!

Thanks to the tips & studying the videos and practicing, my hunter braids turned out pretty well this weekend.

Photographic evidence

I was even able to leave them in overnight on one horse (he is a hunter princess) but definitely not on Mr. I Like to Scratch My Neck!

Lessons learned:

-mane must be very evenly pulled/trimmed, since any extra length in the tails of the braids is VERY hard to hide

-easiest way to figure out correct length of mane is to braid down approx. 8 turns. If there is more than 1/2 inch of tail, mane is too long

-braid thinner sections near wither shorter, otherwise the braid goes all wiggly when tied up.
                          Blugal

Comment

Whoa, these look pretty darn good to me! Good job!

Comment

Working...
                            X