• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

saddles...narrow twist, long/forward flap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saddles...narrow twist, long/forward flap

So I was at a 3-day event this weekend, and there were a few saddle reps there. I finally talked to the CWD rep, and he basically told me that a CWD might not be the right fit. I have a 17.5 3C that is beautiful, but the seat doesn't accommodate my femur, the wide twist makes for an uncomfortable ride, and the 3C is just too small at least in the 17.5'' seat. He put me in a 3L and a 4C in different seat sizes...and it just never felt "right."

I also sat in a couple of voltaire saddles, and the rep (who was super helpful!!) said I was a 18.5 3AAAR. To me...that just seems so...large. My own horses weren't at that show, so I couldn't sit in the saddle on a horse, but I liked the feel when I sat on the fake horse barrel or whatever that is. Here are some pictures from that saddle:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...psb9431ea4.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...psf7bee513.jpg

http://s65.photobucket.com/user/reay...238bc.jpg.html

I'm just worried about the flap potentially being too large, especially when I jump...maybe I am just not used to a flap that fits me correctly?

Additionally...I basically figured out that I need a more narrow twist instead of a wider one. It this says anything, I am more comfortable in a '96 brick 16'' beval with a 2.5 flap, than my beautiful 17.5 cwd 3C. Not that my butt fits in the saddle...but I love the twist and flap size, which still might be too small?

CWD:
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...at105004AM.png

Beval:
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...7at72056AM.png

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/2ba75ed0.jpg

Which CC saddles are known for a med or narrow twist? Thoughts on the voltaire? Help

Uh. Well, I can say the CWD doesn't appear to fit well.

Why didn't the person taking pictures take one straight on of you in the Voltaire?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

• Original Poster

That would have been nice, eh? Unfortunately, those are the only pictures I have.

I'm only 5'7''...which is why I think the 3AAA intimidates me.

Comment

Originally posted by reay6790 View Post
        I'm only 5'7''...which is why I think the 3AAA intimidates me.
        It's really about your leg not your height, ask Voltaire to send out the best fit demo they have for you & your horse
        If you've always ridden with very little flap, it may take a while to accustom yourself to more flap.
        Do you want narrow twist or narrow seat or both?

PS
        They need to switch to the much more photogenic wood "horse" shown in this video - + rider at ~2:25

Comment

Sending you a PM.

Comment

Part of the problem with the CWD is that it doesn't fit your horse. It is too narrow putting the pommel high which obviously shifts the flap placement.

It is, however, a pretty good example of why a saddle should fit both horse and rider.

If you are saddle shopping without your horse, this may very well happen with the next saddle you buy.

Comment

I have an extremely long femur and take a narrow twist as well. I've sat in both a Beval Butet and Natural, both are similar in the twist and flap style. I enede dup with the natural because it was closer to my price point than the Butet, but I would definitely recommend looking at the Bevals for the twist/femur length.

FYI--Bevals run in whole sizes but measure a 1/2 size up. I have a 16" measures 16.5". Sounds like you'd need the 17."

Comment

• Original Poster

The horse wearing the CWD is not my horse...I was riding him for my trainer. I am usually riding about 3 horses a day right now, 2 of which are mine. I find myself liking a more narrow twist, but not so much a narrow seat.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tua37516 View Post
                  I have an extremely long femur and take a narrow twist as well. I've sat in both a Beval Butet and Natural, both are similar in the twist and flap style. I enede dup with the natural because it was closer to my price point than the Butet, but I would definitely recommend looking at the Bevals for the twist/femur length.

FYI--Bevals run in whole sizes but measure a 1/2 size up. I have a 16" measures 16.5". Sounds like you'd need the 17."

Thank you! I love my beval natural (although between the stitching and old foam panels I have totaled it!)...and I was playing with the idea of a Butet, but I have heard they run narrow.

Alto, that is a good idea. I found the exact saddle I sat in and they offer a trial period, so I was thinking about doing that.

Comment

I would try the Voltaire if it is available.

The CWD does not work for you.

If you like the Beval, why not see what you can get in a larger seat with similar flap? They often have tons of used stuff available that they can send you to try, too.

Comment

and I was playing with the idea of a Butet, but I have heard they run narrow.
                      You can get the Butet with the FB2 tree, which is wider than the original Butet tree and more open through the withers area, its designed to be more for the warmblood type of body.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys!

Personal Champ, do you think from the (not so good) pictures, that saddle seems to fit me?

Comment

I have a Delgrange Virtuose, and it has a narrower twist than the CWD I sat in. My old Butet also had a narrower twist. Love my Delgrange.

Comment

Bruno Delgrange offers a narrow twist and based on the pics I agree a 18.5 is a little large for your size. I will send you a PM.
                            Discover the Delgrange Difference
                            www.selledelgrange.com
                            https://www.facebook.com/186984224707491
                            www.ecogold.ca/

Comment

• Original Poster

I will look into Delgrange, I haven't sat in one before.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Personal Champ, do you think from the (not so good) pictures, that saddle seems to fit me?
                                The Voltaire? It's hard to say from the photos, as you said, but it seems like it might be a good match. I will say that I personally prefer less flap behind the leg for riders that are thin, which is why I like Butet's California Flap option.

Comment

I have a 19" femur and my eventer is a whopping 15.1h of TB LOL! so finding a saddle that fit both of us took a while.
                                  my top choice was the Albion Kontact in an 18"
                                  what I bought was the Collegiate Nobility because it was over $2000 cheaper and fit about 85% as well as the Albion
                                  I've also fit in a courbette vision, but they are for long backed horses, and I tend to prefer short coupled beasties.
                                  I've never sat in the saddle you've tried. I don't like french foam tack.
                                  www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                                  chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Don't get too caught up in the "size" or numbers. Get what fits you. The first saddle looks like it fits your leg and seat well. The other pictures don't fit your leg and/or seat at all. Ride in a bunch of saddles (regardless of size!) and see what makes you feel most balanced
                                    Originally posted by rustbreeches
                                    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Comment

I like the way the Voltaire fits you! I have the same type of issue. I currently have an OLD county stabilizer - with a narrow twist, which I adore. I ride in a friends Devoucoux which seams to have the same narrow feel but with a much deeper seat. When i was looking for a saddle I had tons of issues with the width. It is uncomfortable to ride for any length in them. You have to keep us posted if you go with the Voltaire - i've been looking as they are similar to the Devoucoux but the used seamed to be priced much more competitive.

Comment

• Original Poster

I put an offer on the voltaire that was the exact size I sat in...I will let you know if/when I get it and take a bunch more pictures. Always different to ride in it as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X