• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What song do you canter to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What song do you canter to?

So, I'm a former music major, and I'm finding the best way for me to make sure I maintain my rhythm riding to jumps is to have a song in my head, so I can make sure I'm riding the correct pace. I found a song for my trot, but really struggling to find one for the canter.

Any ideas out there? Not really sure "Row your boat" is what I'm looking for. What would be a good canter song at the right pace?

TIA!

Zippidy Doo Dah!

Comment

I don't know about cantering, but when I've been on the trails, I'll sing "Not While I'm Around".

And when trotting, will sing an old grade school song/round, "Horsey, horsey, on your way, we've been together for many a day, etc., etc." May work for the canter.
      But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

There's a very nice girl in my barn who rides this enormous WB. Just looking at him, you'd think he was a lumberjack over fences but he is actually very catty. He's got a big slow canter but can turn on a dime. If he was a human, you would think he was one of those big, buff jock guys in high school who let himself go to pot as an adult. I heard her telling someone the other day that her song is "Sexy Back" by Justin Timberlake. It made me chuckle.

Comment

I listen to the MKTO station on iheartradio app. It has some really nice upbeat riding songs.. just a warning that it's actually pretty poppy. I'm more of a county music person myself, but no one I knows likes it. I think the pop/EDM mix is a good thing for riding because it keeps a nice beat, not to mention when there's a drop it's pretty sweet to transition into. I ride by myself so I am never without my music.

I don't actually think many of them will keep you on pace if you're really looking for that kind of thing, some sort of metronome app would work best for you, but these are definitely on par to keep you in the right groove.

Favorites would probably be:
          - Pop Culture by Madeon - everyone needs to listen to it because it's amazing!
          - U Make me Wanna by Kimberly Cole (amazing to canter to! Seriously. I'll credit Nathan Barnatt's youtube channel for finding it)
          - Memories by David Guetta ft Kid Cudi
          - Cant Hold Us by Macklemore
          - Same love by Macklemore
          - Treasure by Bruno Mars
          - Blurred Lines by Robin Thick ft Pharrell and TI
          - Sweat by David Guetta ft Snoop
          - Cruise by Florida Georgia line (with or without Nelly, they both are pretty good)
          - Get Lucky by Daft Punk
          -Anything (not a song, but just anything by GT in general) by Girl Talk

Comment

I would think finding a song in 3/4 time would help. Not much on pop radio that fits that bill, so perhaps some kind of waltz? LOL.

Comment

Horse gal, you should look into Morgan Paige on pandora. Great edm with vocals!

Comment

I always try to find a song that matches my horses rythm, not the other way around. Big WB horse I was riding went best to the song Apologize by Timbaland ft One Republic. To this day, when I hear that song, I can feel myself jumping a course on him.

Comment

"Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" by Arcade Fire

"La Isla Bonita" by Madonna*

*Madonna fan I am not, but the song is undeniably canter-able.
                  Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Instagram | Flickr | Calendar

Comment

I usually find myself singing the Ants go Marching, if the radio isn't playing.

Comment

Simon and Garfunkle: "Parsley, sage rosemary and thyme"

Comment

Don't say I'm crazy until you've tried it: Oh, Susanna. Canter and sing away.

Comment

Another trick I had a trainer show me once, but probably not the best to do jumping. Also have a trustworthy horse. Pick up the canter and take the reins into one hand and hold the free hand over your head and move it like you're swinging a lasso. You'll find that it helps you find a rhythm.

Comment

• Original Poster

Right, so I'm trying to find something that matches the rhythm I should be cantering at - the best I could come up with was Survivor by Destiny's Child, or for something funkier, Chicken Noodle Soup

Imagine cantering your course going:

Chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side......

Which is why I was looking for other suggestions that might be less silly.

Thanks!

Comment

Haven't found (or needed one) for my new horse, but one I showed a few years ago jumped around great to East Bound & Down (didn't hurt that it made me think of Smokey & the Bandit). It's going to depend on the horse, but you might as well try it!
                              "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

Ix-nay on the 3/4 time.
                                A horse has three footfall-beats and a pause-of-suspension beat in a canter...which makes for FOUR beats in time (three sounded, one unsounded 'rest' beat), so you will have to have an up-tempo piece in 4/4 time, though a 6/8 can also work.
                                A waltz will get out of time.

Comment

When I rode Dressage I would listen to my ipod and the black eyed peas were great. Even when this song came on my horse would canter... He liked it too.

Pump it -
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaI2IlHwmgQ

and

Let's get it started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqV7DB8Iwg
                                  Live in the sunshine.
                                  Swim in the sea.
                                  Drink the wild air.

Comment

Always wanted to do a freestyle reining to "Onion Skin" by Boom Crash Opera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2FPE1Y5_4o

Comment

The wheels on the bus.

But only the wheels on the bus because my horse doesn't like when the wipers go swish, swish, swish.

So there you go.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fDuNuFNG38

Inner Ninja is my recent favorite. But I also like Mariah Carey's Beautiful if I am on one that makes me rush, it slows me down/chills me out a little. That said, I can NOT listen to music while I ride so it's just in my head
                                        Katie

Comment

Working...
                                        X