• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Breeches+hot day+riding=open, painful sore! Ideas for covering/prevention?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeches+hot day+riding=open, painful sore! Ideas for covering/prevention?

It has been unseasonally hot here in the PNW, and last weekend I had a show. I wear FITs breeches that fit very well, and new custom boots--perhaps this was a bad combination with all the sweating (and cursing, as the boots refused to zip that last 1/2 inch!). I began to notice a painful spot on the inside of my left knee, just at the bend when you sit in the saddle. As the day wore on, it got worse and worse--but I rode through it.

After I got done for the day, and peeled off those breeches, I was left with a 1/4 wide, inch long "burn"(?) that is super sore. I tried to ride Monday, with a big bandaid over it--that was a not go, so I added an "Ace" bandage (tail wrap from my trunk) over it, which made it barely tolerable. Obviously, the owie is rubbed by contact with the saddle, and unless I turn my leg around and put it on backwards, that's how it will have to be.

So: How to ride through this until it heals?
    And: How do you prevent these? Or am I just a victim of sweaty pants-funny crease-taller boot syndrome?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

to prevent it, a lot of brands make anti-chaffing spray/ gel that I've heard pretty good things about, I don't know if that would help but it might be worth a shot. They also make liquid skin which might help for the healing process good luck and quick healing!
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Comment

Take two days of and let it air out with antibiotic ointment - that should be enough to start the healing and make it tolerable. I wish I had a solution for the future, but I would try and make sure that your pants are not going to move while you are riding since that is where the rubbing is coming from.

Comment

Solution for the future: http://www.antimonkeybutt.com, anti friction powder on your legs before you pull on breeches will keep it from rubbing.
        Mendokuse

Comment

Cotton balls sot of 'pulled apart' (so that there is cushion, but not so much that it's putting added pressure), neosporin and vet wrap. That's what I always use and it works like a charm. I've found the vet wrap is much less bulky than the ace bandage

I also do this when ever I have to break in new boots/shoes as a preventitive (minus the neosporin).

Comment

equifit gel bands...

Comment

What do you ride in at home...boots or paddocks and half chaps? I have what sounds like a similar sore from a lesson I had a week ago and I find it is more tolerable when I wear my half chaps.

I also only ride 3 days a week, so I think the days off have helped.

I have been putting a bandaid on it when I ride and been okay. If that is not working for you, perhaps use two gauze pads so they rub on each other as you ride and not on your boo boo?

Unfortunately, the healing process has been a real pain (literally and figuratively) since the sore is right below the inner bend of my knee. I feel like my day to day movements are making the healing process a bit longer, but at least it was much more comfortable within the week.

Comment

If you can ride in chaps at home a pull on knee brace will add some more padding and help stop continuing rubs until its healed. Also, mole skin or duo-derm may help for under the boot/breeches. I hate putting bandaids and such on b/c they get all crinkly and ride up and are worthless.

Comment

Seconding the EquiFit gel bands.... I used to have chronic sores like this on my inner calves/where the stirrup crosses my shin. They are the only things to prevent it in the 15 years I've been trying!

Comment

You may also want to try the anti-blister stuff runners use. I put it on the back of my foot/Achilles where the back of your shoe rubs and it works great. May help for your inner knees as well. The kind I use comes in a little package that is similar to stick deodorant, but smaller. Here is one: http://www.drscholls.com/Products/Bl...iFrictionStick

Good luck.
                    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Dr. Schole's (sp?)Moleskin, paddocks and half chaps or wrap your legs with polo wraps-(poor man's chaps!)

Comment

• Original Poster

I ride in boots/breeches normally, but after reading the excellent suggestions (thank you!!) I think Saturday's attire will be: paddocks/half chaps + neoprene knee brace (have a pair of those) with a sizable bandaid protecting the half-healed sore. I powered through the pain at the show (even winning two classes--go me!), but without the adrenaline and focus of the show environment, it is too ouchy to ride in for a lesson.

Comingback--sounds like we have a similar riding pattern and boo boo! I hope yours gets better soon. I too found that the day-to-day movement of my leg is hindering healing.
                        Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

The same thing happened to me last summer.. I rode 3-5 horses a day so it took a while to fully heal. I found that covering it in Vaseline and a bandaid helped to stop it from getting worse and keep it fairly comfortable.

Comment

The worst saddle sores I ever had led me to the best bandaid, ever.... Advanced Healing (by BandAid). They form a gel pocket over the wound and really help with comfort AND speed healing. Stays on about 3 days, through showers and riding.
                            Patience pays.

Comment

For blisters, I really really like using those 2nd skin burn pads - they're gel-like and cooling, don't stick to the blister, and cushion any impact the area might get. If it's small enough, use that with a band-aid over, or gauze works if it's bigger.

Comment

I had a similar problem with friction burns across my shins when we moved to a climate that is hotter and more humid than I was used to. I second whoever said take a couple days off and let it air out. The other thing that helped me was knee-highs- since yours is on the inside of your knee, could you cut the leg off an old pair of stockings and wear it from your thigh to your ankle? That extra more slippery layer, while hot, made all the difference to keep from getting the burns. I only got them the first year we lived here, then I guess my skin adjusted.
                                Me: In a long-winded explanation of who GM is and why he is Important to the Sport
                                Mr EmJ: So what you're saying is GM is so Important he could get Chik-Fil-A on Sunday?

Comment

Get some better breeches for hot weather. Fits are not the ideal breach for hot weather for many people because of their fabric, patch design and fit.

Once you're healed experiment with a cotton blend (even 50-60% cotton is usually plenty) or any wicking summer fabrics. Fits are super breeches, but the synthetic fabric so many of them are made out of, stretchy patches, a design that often removes a sliver of knee patch at the inside/back of the knee to keep the patch from folding up on itself when the rider bends their knee- presumably to minimize bulk under the knee, and super stretchy, forgiving fabric of the breech itself... can be a bad combination.

Saddle sores and rubs come from friction. I avoid them by wearing breeches, boots or chaps that STAY PUT on my body. If there's even a little wiggle room in my half chaps or tall boots I'll get off my horse with quarter-sized welts on both shins. I live in cantral Texas, it's upwards of 80 degrees here 9-10 months a year, and upwards of 90 for at least 6. I have never used that monkey butt powder- simply never had a need for it.

Experiment with different breeches. For the willow-y body type I'd suggest Tailored Sportsman be the first thing you try- the knees are typically tight in this brand, and they have some that machine wash and horseshow well at their lower price point. For almost any other body type I'd look at Pikeur- they make tons of cuts and styles. There's a few others that make great technical breeches, but my summer go-to in the heat we get here are those two.

Also consider that your new tall boots might be part of the cause too. You said you struggled with getting them to zip the last little bit- generally in new zip-on boots one would not force the top of the zipper closed until the boots had started to break in and drop. If you close them all the way before this a rider can create a break in the top of the boot as it pushes against the back of the thigh, get blisters on the back of the knee from the top of the boot, AND it can push breeches up at the knee as the new boot wants to sit taller than it will broken in.

Just a couple thoughts- because you shouldn't be getting sores like that in what the PNW calls "heat" if I can avoid them in Texas.
                                  friend of bar.ka.

Comment

I get these from time to time in a similar place. They're quite painful but mine have never been bad enough to not ride...a few minutes in to the ride and I stop feeling it. Taking the breeches off and showering, however, is less than pleasant. I've never tried to do anything for these since it's a tricky area, but use neosporin and make sure they get plenty of air when I'm off the horse (wear shorts when I get home and while sleeping, etc).

For other areas, I swear by athletic tape. Once my hands were rubbed raw (hot weather + riding several a day that taught me the meaning of heavy) and I thought I wasn't going to be able to ride...my boss had no sympathy but recommended athletic tape.

Hurts like a sonofa taking it off, but man does it work as a second skin and it doesn't wear off. That's my go-to for blisters and rubs, just not sure if it would work behind the knee.

And I ditto the whole breeches fit thing...I usually only get these when wearing breeches that are a little big around the knee with my boots that are a touch tall.

Good luck!
                                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

I use liquid bandaid. I get them all the time, riding race horses for a living. They are just a part of life, dose not make them hurt any less.
                                      https://www.facebook.com/russellracingstable

Comment

Originally posted by Flypony View Post
                                        I use liquid bandaid. I get them all the time, riding race horses for a living. They are just a part of life, dose not make them hurt any less.
                                        I use the same. I too get these quite often. I haven't really found anything that makes it more comfortable...I have just found that a liquid bandaid prevents it from getting any worse. I find that at first it's quite painful, but by the time I'm jumping and my adrenaline is up a bit, I don't notice it as much.

Comment

Working...
                                        X