• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

At what point do you insure a horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what point do you insure a horse?

Does it depend on how much you paid for the horse? Current value? Or maybe type and frequency of use of the horse?

I’ve always owned low-dollar “for fun” horses so have never insured any. However, I might be purchasing a new horse soon. It will be the highest amount I’ve ever paid for an animal, though I doubt he’s considered a high-dollar horse by most. I just wanted to gauge what other people’s opinions are on the matter of insurance and where they set the bar as far as when to insure/what horses to insure.

TIA!
    ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
    4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

My rule of thumb is, "How bad would I feel if I couldn't afford colic surgery for this horse?"
    Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

I always insure for major medical and surgical and always would regardless of the horses value because one case of colic, needing surgery, could easily run someone 10 or 15k and I would never want to not do the surgery because I don't have that kind of money just 'laying' around. Mortality insurance: I also get but usually that is so if my horse were to pass away or need to be put down I would have the ability to get a new horse if I so desired. I hope that is helpful!

Comment

Insurance on a horse is no different than on a car, a home, etc...it is there to help you make "repairs" (meds, surgeries, etc.) if your horse gets "damaged" (injured/ sick)...or to leave you with the necessary funds to replace him or her if he/ she dies or would need to be put down.

Yes, you have to determine a value and that value is not necessarily the purchase price. It is what the horse is worth on the day you insure him. So why doesn' t everyone claim that their horse is worth $1M?? Because the higher the value of the horse, the more expensive the policy.

I would insure all of mine for major medical if I had an unlimited budget...premiums are reasonable and it will ultimately save you from some hefty vet bills at some point. As for mortality...you have to determine if the cost of the insurance is worth shelling out for a horse on whom minimal value can be proven.

Also keep in mind that some horses are uninsurable....same as people...depending on their health history.

Comment

For me it's always been a two part question: how difficult would the horse be to replace, and how expensive?

If the horse is a local show horse or good do-be pleasure horse, I might not insure. If I have an extraordinary attachment to the horse, for whatever reason, well, then, they're not easiy replaceable and I would insure.

If the horse has a combo of skills and suitability that required months to locate, I would insure.

If I have bought an under $5000. yearling and brought it along and developed it for years so it's now a $25 - $50K performance horse, I would insure, because I would want to be compensated for the added value, not just the original purchase price.

Finally for any horse under $15K, I would definitley have major medical as well as full mortality. With just full mortality, the insurance may require that colic surgery be attempted before paying the claim, and colic surgery, as mentioned above, can be $10K/
          The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

I insured my horse the day after I bought her. She was skinny, untrained, and not worth any money but I didn't care, I loved her already and would have been devastated if she needed medical care that I could not afford for her.

Her insurance paid for her to be scoped and receive 30 days of GastroGard, and they just paid for a three day stay at a hospital to receive a bone scan and ultrasounds for a very slight mystery lameness. My husband has been out of a full time job for over a year and we would have NEVER been able to afford that level of care for her...and it wasn't even an emergency. Can't complain, really.

Most ins. companies won't let you buy a MM policy without purchasing mortality, too.
            http://www.lucysquest.blogspot.com

Custom Painted Saddle Pads and Ornaments

Comment

Insure for mortality at the point where if you lost the horse you would not have the funds to replace it. So, if you saved up to spend $5k on a horse and it dies from colic on the night you bring it home, are you going to be unable to go out and get a new horse until you save up another $5k? If so, insure. If not, you may not need to do so.

A good rule of thumb is that Major Medical usually needs to match your mortality limits bc, unless it is an emergency situation, your insurer can require you to do everything you can to prevent the mortality loss, up to the cost of the mortality risk. For instance, if you insured the above horse for $5k and when you bring him home that night and he colics and you call the insurance company to say hey, I can't afford colic surgery bc I didn't get major medical so I am putting the horse down, they can say that colic surgery is a reasonable treatment that you have to do before they will pay out your claim. And if you don't have $5k to replace the horse, you probably won't have $5k for surgery either.

When you first buy a horse, they normally will only allow you to ensure for market value -i.e., what you paid for the horse. So if you pay $5k, you probably can't insure for $10k. As you add training or the horse proves itself, you can increase your limits, but keep in mind that if you have a claim, they will require you to prove value. But you do not have to increase your limits beyond what you would feel comfortable replacing. So say you get the $5k horse and train him to where he is worth $25k. You could up the coverage to $25k, leave it at $5k with the understanding that you won't be able to replace with a horse with the same value or do something in the middle. Once again it is a question of how much you are willing to risk losing and, as importantly, how much you can afford to pay not to lose it.

Comment

Originally posted by jennifersw View Post
                I would insure all of mine for major medical if I had an unlimited budget...premiums are reasonable and it will ultimately save you from some hefty vet bills at some point. As for mortality...you have to determine if the cost of the insurance is worth shelling out for a horse on whom minimal value can be proven.
                It is not always possible to insure for major medical without insuring for mortality. You don't have to insure for mortality for the full value of the horse (you could insure a $500,000 horse for $5,000), but you can't just pay the $250 or whatever it is now and have major medical. It generally needs to be attached to a mortality policy.

(People who have gotten around this, please tell me what policy you have so I can get it too.)

Originally posted by McGurk View Post
                If I have bought an under $5000. yearling and brought it along and developed it for years so it's now a $25 - $50K performance horse, I would insure, because I would want to be compensated for the added value, not just the original purchase price.
                Make sure to have an 'agreed value' policy. This means the value of the horse is agreed upon at the time of policy purchase. This sounds completely self-explanatory but a lot of insurance companies manage to slip it in that it is the "value of the horse at the time of death" not the actual value insured for, so then after paying premiums for a $50,000 price tag for 7 years the insurance company says, "Well, actually, we only think it was worth $15,000 because it didn't show at all last year."

Just some things I have run across in my navigations of insurance purchasing.
                The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

One thing to remember is even though your horse is insurance for MM / surgical - chances are very high you will still need funds upfront to pay for any surgery - the insurance company reimburses you, not direct payment to vet hospitals. When mine had surgery I had to write out a check for 50% of the estimated cost; and balance due before I loaded him up to take him home. Would you be able to liquidate or have access (borrow from mom/dad/401k?) until you received insurance payment? Having said that I've had insurance on 3 horses and sadly needed it for 2 of them so I'm def. in favor of coverage. It is a huge help and when you have that big beautiful animal looking at you w/ those eyes and the vet asks if he's a surgical candidate, it makes for a much easier decision.

Comment

I purchased my guy 2 years ago for a lower value than what I just insured him for. I just had to provide information on what type if training, how often he is trained, and how much for training I have paid. I'm not asking for a lot of money for insurance just what he is worth now with his training. Most companies I takes to you can't have major medical policy on a horse unless it is valued at at least 5k. You can have mortality under 5k but not the medical. Then the medical will only go to the insured price of the horse. So say you insure for 5k with major medical and he needs a surgery that will cost 7k (not colic surgery, that is more because legality comes with a portion for colic surgery usually) they will only pay the 5k that you have insured him to out. If you insure him at 7500 then you will get 7500 in the year that's it.
                    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Originally posted by rabicon View Post
                      I purchased my guy 2 years ago for a lower value than what I just insured him for. I just had to provide information on what type if training, how often he is trained, and how much for training I have paid. I'm not asking for a lot of money for insurance just what he is worth now with his training. Most companies I takes to you can't have major medical policy on a horse unless it is valued at at least 5k. You can have mortality under 5k but not the medical. Then the medical will only go to the insured price of the horse. So say you insure for 5k with major medical and he needs a surgery that will cost 7k (not colic surgery, that is more because legality comes with a portion for colic surgery usually) they will only pay the 5k that you have insured him to out. If you insure him at 7500 then you will get 7500 in the year that's it.
                      Not ALL companies do that. If you look around, you will find companies that will pay out up to $15k of MM regardless of the value of the horse. My horse is insured for $5k but her MM policy is $10k. My premium is about $600 a year, though I heard it's going up company-wide this year (I will still renew it though!), my deductible is $300, and they pay 100% of diagnostics.

Reading the fine print is VERY important when looking at policies. If you don't understand what it all means, ask someone who does to interpret for you. Meup is spot on about the agreed value thing. I don't really care if I get a cheque for my horse's worth if she dies; my main concern is the MM coverage, so I am not worried about that stuff, but then again my horse isn't worth much. If I had a big fancy show horse that I had paid $25k + for, I might be more concerned about the mortality half.
                      http://www.lucysquest.blogspot.com

Custom Painted Saddle Pads and Ornaments

Comment

What PoohLP said.
                        Amount will depend on breed and use.
                        I always carried mortality when I was showing and horse was on a commerical van a couple times a month.
                        I considered it "Replacement Cost"

As my Hunter accrued ribbons and titles I upped the insurance.
                        Had to provide proof of training fees and point standings to verify the increase.

Still never went for Major Medical coverage and {knock wood} did not need it except for a uncomplicated colic surgery that ran me under $2K (waaaay back in the early 90s)

As I backed off showing and horses aged I dropped the mortality.
                        Most companies are not going to insure a 20+yo horse.

I had a great agent - he wrote my TB as a Pleasure horse since we showed less than 6X/year and the TWH as an Event Horse since the stats on Walking Horses being injured while eventing were in our favor.
                        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

What if you're training your horse yourself? I bought a greenie last year and am training her; I know she's worth more than she was when I bought her but have no training bills to prove it.
                          I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Originally posted by jennifersw View Post
                            So why doesn' t everyone claim that their horse is worth $1M?? Because the higher the value of the horse, the more expensive the policy.
                            Also, an insurance company won't sell you a mortality policy worth way more than the horse. That's an invitation to fraud.

I'd buy minimal insurance: The amount required to get a major medical policy, or the amount I'd want in my pocket for the next horse. Neither might be as high as the horse's appraised value. IMO, you get the best products insurance allows for the least price this way.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by SillyHorse View Post
                              My rule of thumb is, "How bad would I feel if I couldn't afford colic surgery for this horse?"
                              DITTO on this one.
                              Live in the sunshine.
                              Swim in the sea.
                              Drink the wild air.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey View Post
                                What if you're training your horse yourself? I bought a greenie last year and am training her; I know she's worth more than she was when I bought her but have no training bills to prove it.

If you know of a local trainer that can write up an evaluation of your horse. Or you can talk to the insurance company and provide them with your bills etc and what your horse is now worth.
                                Live in the sunshine.
                                Swim in the sea.
                                Drink the wild air.

Comment

Originally posted by doublesstable View Post
                                  If you know of a local trainer that can write up an evaluation of your horse. Or you can talk to the insurance company and provide them with your bills etc and what your horse is now worth.
                                  Or take it to a horse show and put a score on the board.
                                  The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                  Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                  Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                  The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

meupatdoes - I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full.
                                    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Comment

Working...
                                    X