• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Equine owners shoulders needed....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Original Poster

    #21
    Some how I missed a few of your posts... I wanted to say thank you for the kind and supportive words. I am so grateful to you it helps so much!!! I was re visiting this thread because I have had a few very bad Gray Zone horse days. I needed to re read to try to keep focused.

    My 14 year old is REALLY BAD in the hind end... I cannot do anything more to help him. It is his hocks (when he got EPM as a 4 year old he got spavins) and had a sacro injury about four years ago. I have them injected and he is beyond that now He was wanting to play so bad yesterday and then was trotting and I couldn't even watch.. It hurt me.

    I added his photo to know we had amazing times.

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

    He LOVED to jump and loved when I would hook up the horse trailer so we could go do something. He is such a busy guy and it kills me to see him hurting!

    UGGG the Equine Gray Zone I hate it!!!
    Last edited by doublesstable; May. 5, 2013, 08:52 PM.
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Peggy View Post
      You have my empathy if that is any comfort whatsoever.
      You have mine as well.
      Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
      ~DQ wanna-be~

      Comment


      • #23
        They're pretty damn lucky to have you

        Comment


        • #24
          DS- it's hard. My first guy I toyed with putting down a few years ago and the vet kept talking me out if it. One day, he just ate breakfast, layed down and went to sleep (never woke up). My two old ones now, I agonize. I talked to my get a few days ago....I'm giving them through the summer on awesome grass, then will key them go before winter. This winter was brutal on them...they have good days and bad. The summer good will outweigh their bad this year.

          I have other terrifying factors... If one goes down when it's muddy, the truck can't get them.....horrifying for me.

          It's never easy. Good luck.
          Come to the dark side, we have cookies

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by doublesstable View Post
            Some how I missed a few of your posts... I wanted to say thank you for the kind and supportive words. I am so grateful to you it helps so much!!! I was re visiting this thread because I have had a few very bad Gray Zone horse days. I needed to re read to try to keep focused.

            My 14 year old is REALLY BAD in the hind end... I cannot do anything more to help him. It is his hocks (when he got EPM as a 4 year old he got spavins) and had a sacro injury about four years ago. I have them injected and he is beyond that now He was wanting to play so bad yesterday and then was trotting and I couldn't even watch.. It hurt me.

            I added his photo to know we had amazing times.

            https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

            He LOVED to jump and loved when I would hook up the horse trailer so we could go do something. He is such a busy guy and it kills me to see him hurting!

            UGGG the Equine Gray Zone I hate it!!!
            From your words, it sounds as if it is time.... He looks a saint in your photo. Do what your heart tells you, whatever that may be. If you can't bear to watch him , he must be suffering.. Hugs from Colorado.

            Comment


            • #26
              This really hits home right now... You're not alone doublesstables. I lost my first horse to EPM last winter and my heart horse right now is staying the week at the vet to find out what's wrong with his front left... He's steadily been getting worse the last 2 years and he is just not what he used to be.

              He's nine years old, but still a baby. He's a big horse who just started gaining muscle on his lanky body. He has a really huge future ahead of him and I'm afraid it's going to be cut short. This horse lives for jumping. You take him out to hack and he pulls to the jumps.

              I'm scared.

              Comment


              • #27
                I think in some ways the gray zone is harder to handle when your first horse lived a good length of time with few issues. My first was 26. My second retired at 11 and was euthanised at 18. I felt cheated in so many ways. And felt that he'd been cheated because horses are supposed to live about 25 years.

                I wrote a blog about coming to the end with my second horse. doublesstable this entry might be helpful to you http://endgame-journeys-end.blogspot.ca/

                Comment


                • #28
                  Sending hugs and good energy to you as you deal with those grey area/bad days. Most of us with older horses get there, as mvp noted, and it's just plain difficult.

                  But I think horses really DO let us know when it's time, and it's clear to me that you know these horses well enough not to worry about missing that memo. In the meantime, there may be some things that can be done to reduce the bad days, or there might not - but exploring those issues can at least give you "something to do" for them. I've had great success with Pentosan for older horses, particularly with hock issues. Perhaps your vet can suggest a way to get those hocks to fuse, which can do wonders. Or maybe those things have all been explored but there are other approaches to pain management that you can try. BL solution worked very well for my old TB when he was going through some hock issues, for example. He also seemed to get a great deal of relief from magnetic hock boots; whether from the magnets themselves or simply from the comfort/warmth of the wraps I couldn't tell you, but he clearly benefitted from wearing them overnight and came out pretty comfortable in the morning. They also seemed to help him getting up and down (I suspect this was just from the protection/cushioning of the wraps, even though his stall was deeply bedded.)

                  I hope you are able to get to a point where there are more good days soon. And if not, know that your horses are extremely fortunate to have you to love and care for them, whatever the outcome.
                  **********
                  We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                  -PaulaEdwina

                  Comment

                  • Original Poster

                    #29
                    Originally posted by RedHorses View Post
                    I think in some ways the gray zone is harder to handle when your first horse lived a good length of time with few issues. My first was 26. My second retired at 11 and was euthanised at 18. I felt cheated in so many ways. And felt that he'd been cheated because horses are supposed to live about 25 years.

                    I wrote a blog about coming to the end with my second horse. doublesstable this entry might be helpful to you http://endgame-journeys-end.blogspot.ca/
                    Yes I so feel this way..... I feel he has been cheated. He has a heart of gold and will do anything for me. He loves life so much and to see his body not agreeing with his mind is heart breaking.
                    Live in the sunshine.
                    Swim in the sea.
                    Drink the wild air.

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #30
                      Originally posted by karasha View Post
                      This really hits home right now... You're not alone doublesstables. I lost my first horse to EPM last winter and my heart horse right now is staying the week at the vet to find out what's wrong with his front left... He's steadily been getting worse the last 2 years and he is just not what he used to be.

                      He's nine years old, but still a baby. He's a big horse who just started gaining muscle on his lanky body. He has a really huge future ahead of him and I'm afraid it's going to be cut short. This horse lives for jumping. You take him out to hack and he pulls to the jumps.

                      I'm scared.
                      I am so praying for you! My horses get all excited too when they see jumps. Thank you for sharing your story - its hard because most of the people around me don't have horses or understand how I feel... so I don't say anything. Having friends here has been such a big part of the process we must go through.

                      I will keep your boy in my prayers and please keep us posted on what you find out....
                      Live in the sunshine.
                      Swim in the sea.
                      Drink the wild air.

                      Comment

                      • Original Poster

                        #31
                        Originally posted by skydy View Post
                        From your words, it sounds as if it is time.... He looks a saint in your photo. Do what your heart tells you, whatever that may be. If you can't bear to watch him , he must be suffering.. Hugs from Colorado.

                        You hit another nail on the head!!!! He is such a saint and that makes this that much more difficult! This horse would keep going even if he just had three legs.

                        I was so hoping he could retire to be a trail horse, he loves the trails so much but he cannot negotiate physically the hills and any rocks we come across. And now the hind end is - bad.

                        I think that's what is so hard about the Equine Gray Zone - my heart says different things. He looks happy so just leave him hanging out, then see he looks sad because he wants to run and play but it hurts and I cannot fix that anymore. I know the memo is coming....

                        Thanks for the hugs.....
                        Live in the sunshine.
                        Swim in the sea.
                        Drink the wild air.

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Oh thank you for your prayers. With my horse that had EPM, we really went back and forth with letting him go. But we knew that in the condition he's in, his time was short and he'd let us know when it was his time. It's much easier when the horse tells you than when you have to decide for yourself.

                          The equine gray zone is not something normal, non-horsey people can understand. We have to balance between trying to understand the needs and emotions of an animal that doesn't talk and trying to do what's ultimately best for them. Personally, for me, I would wait until the horse's starts to act depressed or when their bad days greatly outnumber their good. That's what happened to my EPM horse... he was basically alive and not living.

                          This is a great, supportive community. If there's anything you need, just holler!

                          Comment

                          • Original Poster

                            #33
                            Originally posted by karasha View Post
                            Oh thank you for your prayers. With my horse that had EPM, we really went back and forth with letting him go. But we knew that in the condition he's in, his time was short and he'd let us know when it was his time. It's much easier when the horse tells you than when you have to decide for yourself.

                            The equine gray zone is not something normal, non-horsey people can understand. We have to balance between trying to understand the needs and emotions of an animal that doesn't talk and trying to do what's ultimately best for them. Personally, for me, I would wait until the horse's starts to act depressed or when their bad days greatly outnumber their good. That's what happened to my EPM horse... he was basically alive and not living.

                            This is a great, supportive community. If there's anything you need, just holler!
                            Your right about non horsey people not understanding.... The horse that has the bad hind end had EPM too. We made it through so many tough medical issues I guess I thought I could just fix him forever! I have read up on Pentosan, I have a call into my vets office. Pentosan is kind of my last hope.

                            Thanks again for the support...
                            Live in the sunshine.
                            Swim in the sea.
                            Drink the wild air.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Doublestable , you will always have the support here on COTH. I don't support people putting healthy horses down but the aging process on large animals is very hard. My older guy is 21 and he does OK, has been running up the hills but his ringbone is painful and he has developed sagging fetlocks behind. He will only go on trails so he does not get out but 1-2 times a week. I am hoping I can find someone this summer to do more trails with him. It is also an expensive retirement at the boarding facility but he is just so happy with the people contact that to pasture him out seems unkind. I wish he could have gone on longer, he was the best riding horse I have ever ridden, round, responsive, packer over jumps, auto lead changes, I only hope my young one is half the horse.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X