• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD Blog re: drugging at show??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by skydy View Post
    Well, that was unpleasant. I had to stop after reading 3 blog posts.
    I just read a lot more than 3 posts...and I'm in an odd position of feeling kind of sorry for the girl. Despite years of riding, she's a newbie, bought an inappropriate horse for her that didn't seem to vet well but trainer told her findings weren't a big deal. Just like the rest of us, she loves her horse, inappropriate or not and wants to succeed with him. Unfortunately, someone has taught her that shortcuts are okay.

    Her world could very easily come crashing down because of an overshare on a blog. I certainly hope she learns the lessons to be had, finds herself someone who can teach her real horsemanship and grows from this experience.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RugBug View Post
      I just read a lot more than 3 posts...and I'm in an odd position of feeling kind of sorry for the girl. Despite years of riding, she's a newbie, bought an inappropriate horse for her that didn't seem to vet well but trainer told her findings weren't a big deal. Just like the rest of us, she loves her horse, inappropriate or not and wants to succeed with him. Unfortunately, someone has taught her that shortcuts are okay.

      Her world could very easily come crashing down because of an overshare on a blog. I certainly hope she learns the lessons to be had, finds herself someone who can teach her real horsemanship and grows from this experience.
      Findeight has offered to talk to her, so perhaps something positive can come out of this mess.

      Comment


      • I spent an hour trying to find out the trainer, and couldn't find anyone on horseshowsonline with 3 wins and 3 3rds. I am very local to this girl and trying to find a trainer for myself. If someone would be willing to message me the name of the trainer so I don't go with them I would appreciate it.

        I am pretty sure I have contacted every decent (assuming) trainer available in my area to come out to me, as I don't have a trailer. Almost no one is willing to. The law of averages says this idiot, will be the one willing to come to my barn.

        If you are uncomfortable because you don't know me, message me, and I will share my full name. My screen name is a shortened version of it. Totally not a troll.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by AlexS View Post
          I spent an hour trying to find out the trainer, and couldn't find anyone on horseshowsonline with 3 wins and 3 3rds. I am very local to this girl and trying to find a trainer for myself. If someone would be willing to message me the name of the trainer so I don't go with them I would appreciate it.

          I am pretty sure I have contacted every decent (assuming) trainer available in my area to come out to me, as I don't have a trailer. Almost no one is willing to. The law of averages says this idiot, will be the one willing to come to my barn.

          If you are uncomfortable because you don't know me, message me, and I will share my full name. My screen name is a shortened version of it. Totally not a troll.
          I found it easily by following the directions posted on this thread.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by skydy View Post
            Findeight has offered to talk to her, so perhaps something positive can come out of this mess.
            She is welcome to PM me and everything will be confidential, but so far, nothing.

            would somebody else care to PM me the trainer name? I don't have time to fool with it, not at home near my desktop and the iPhone has its limits as far as screen size and multistep searches.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

            The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

            Comment


            • F8- you are a credit to horsewomen.
              Come to the dark side, we have cookies

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Canaqua View Post
                Now, take the Googling a bit further...check out trainer's very close "connections" and figure out why complaining to the show management folks in that area won't help at all.
                I guess you are right about that. I wonder if this will effect their business? Probably not....

                Comment


                • Originally posted by findeight View Post
                  She is welcome to PM me and everything will be confidential, but so far, nothing.

                  would somebody else care to PM me the trainer name? I don't have time to fool with it, not at home near my desktop and the iPhone has its limits as far as screen size and multistep searches.
                  Hi, FindEight ... I PM'd you the information.

                  Comment


                  • Just to clarify for everyone ... the rider participated in the following divisions:
                    Limited Adult Equitation
                    Adult Pleasure

                    Both very minor and good introductory divisions - IMO

                    I have a question though ... I've always thought the Limited Divisions were for "lesson" horses. I couldn't find a Prize List for the show, but am I wrong? I don't think this horse sounds like it is a lesson horse at all.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by sammicat View Post
                      Just to clarify for everyone ... the rider participated in the following divisions:
                      Limited Adult Equitation
                      Adult Pleasure

                      Both very minor and good introductory divisions - IMO

                      I have a question though ... I've always thought the Limited Divisions were for "lesson" horses. I couldn't find a Prize List for the show, but am I wrong? I don't think this horse sounds like it is a lesson horse at all.
                      Limit is generally for those riders or in the case of limit hunter: horses, that haven't won a certain amount of blue ribbons at an A or AA show. The number is usually around 6-8. Academy classes are the ones that are usually for schooling horses or those in the schooling program.
                      Mendokuse

                      Comment


                      • The whole situation gets more and more unacceptable ... IMO. After everyone posted their "wow" comments as they discovered who the trainer was, I too decided to look at the connection. Now I have a bunch of questions ... because I am new to the world of showing:

                        - Is it inappropriate for the trainer to have her students competing in a show where there is obviously a very tight connection? I know that you are not supposed to compete at a show where your trainer is also a judge.

                        - The trainer is going for "r" judges license. Is there any way that the USEF would deny this given the information provided in the Blog?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by hunterrider23 View Post
                          Limit is generally for those riders or in the case of limit hunter: horses, that haven't won a certain amount of blue ribbons at an A or AA show. The number is usually around 6-8. Academy classes are the ones that are usually for schooling horses or those in the schooling program.
                          That's right ... I always get that confused I really appreciate the clarification.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by sammicat View Post
                            The whole situation gets more and more unacceptable ... IMO. After everyone posted their "wow" comments as they discovered who the trainer was, I too decided to look at the connection. Now I have a bunch of questions ... because I am new to the world of showing:

                            - Is it inappropriate for the trainer to have her students competing in a show where there is obviously a very tight connection? I know that you are not supposed to compete at a show where your trainer is also a judge.

                            - The trainer is going for "r" judges license. Is there any way that the USEF would deny this given the information provided in the Blog?
                            Judges will chime in but I believe you have to get accepted by the USEF committee?
                            Come to the dark side, we have cookies

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by sammicat View Post
                              - Is it inappropriate for the trainer to have her students competing in a show where there is obviously a very tight connection? I know that you are not supposed to compete at a show where your trainer is also a judge.
                              There are plenty of farms that host shows in my area (many of them A rated) where the students of the farm show as well. I don't consider it a conflict as long as there is no direct connection with the judge.

                              Then again....we all know how subjective hunter judging is and how small the horse world is. But you would see that anywhere....

                              Anyway, particularly for a local show, it's fine. Our farm has hosted shows for our local circuit in the past where many of the students participated, and it really didn't make a difference how you placed. In my opinion the only benefit to the rider is that they can take their horse back to their stall and not the trailer

                              Comment


                              • I'm vehemently against drugging but I think this thread is awful. This girl is a beginner level rider who clearly loves her horse, spends more time with her horse than the average rider by the sound of it, makes time to take care of her horse at the crack of dawn before work and helps her barnmates at shows. There is no malice behind what she wrote. The person truly at fault is the trainer and the proverbial system. This girl only knows what she knows because of the people training her.

                                Anyone making fun of a beginner rider should be ashamed. It doesn't help the rider or horse, doesn't encourage learning and seeking advice outside her circle and is just plain bad horsemanship.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by marginall View Post
                                  I'm vehemently against drugging but I think this thread is awful. This girl is a beginner level rider who clearly loves her horse, spends more time with her horse than the average rider by the sound of it, makes time to take care of her horse at the crack of dawn before work and helps her barnmates at shows. There is no malice behind what she wrote. The person truly at fault is the trainer and the proverbial system. This girl only knows what she knows because of the people training her.

                                  Anyone making fun of a beginner rider should be ashamed. It doesn't help the rider or horse, doesn't encourage learning and seeking advice outside her circle and is just plain bad horsemanship.
                                  IF the rider was unaware that what she did was wrong, then I absolutely agree with you! However, the rider clearly knows that drugging is wrong and has made several justifications for it. Beginner or no, there are ramifications for her actions and she is old enough to have to deal with those! I'm sorry, but that is life, and, she needs to own up to it. That said, I don't think people are being overly harsh, and no one is making fun of her. People are calling out her bad behavior - and rightly so.

                                  As far as the trainer ... I completely and 100% agree with you!!!!! She is totally at fault in this AND knows better AND is in a position of authority both in her barn and in the show ring. It is deplorable, and I hope that there are consequences for her actions.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by grandprixjump View Post
                                    If a printout of that blog, ended up at the feed store, tack shop, and especially at the show on the sales board...
                                    grandprixjump:
                                    I like the way you think.

                                    Regarding the drugging:
                                    Definitely not restricted to the hunter world. My background is (non-sored) flat-shod TWH and Arabians. I would expect this to be a problem across all breeds and disciplines.

                                    What bothers me the most is that the blogger firmly believes that this is entirely appropriate culturally normative behavior.

                                    Plus, the wall-of-text writing is painful to read.
                                    Last edited by californianinkansas; Apr. 27, 2013, 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
                                    PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

                                    Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by RugBug View Post
                                      Complaints filed in court and news articles are, I believe, considered valid sources for discussion topics. Blogs are not even remotely similar. They are the musings of whomever decides they want to take the time to blog.
                                      I think someone who writes a blog about their nefarious dealings is fair game. They are stupid, but fair game. How do you get a more direct (and presumably accurate) account than that? If the trainer wants to rebut the story, she/he can do that.
                                      The armchair saddler
                                      Politically Pro-Cat

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
                                        This reminds me of a "trainer" in my old area. Just has a bad reputation in general over many things (how her horses come to shows bone thin, etc, reported to the SPCA 3 times, once by a VET). At a local series she takes a slew of backyard horses to, she used a different Coggins for one horse and got caught, got a slap on the wrist. Drugged a horse IN FRONT OF PEOPLE, had a big old welt on its neck and one of the observers went to management. Management said though they don't condone it, they can't afford testing.
                                        One person who keeps their horse with her but takes care of it herself ("trainer" can't be trusted not to steal your grain and hay but is cheapest around, don't get me started). She sends young horse who trainer "trained" and showed last year to a NEW trainer for a trial to help prep for rated shows (since original trainer is shunned at bigger shows and can't present a horse to save her life). Original "trainer" had a fit.
                                        Do you want to guess what happened? "New" trainer got on horse and said
                                        "It's barely broke?"
                                        " OH no, this horse showed last year. It is very broke. It was reserve in w/t/c"
                                        Goes to a show, horse is a basket case. New trainer is done.
                                        Horse goes back to original trainer and guess what-IT is PERFECT at the next show 1 week later. Oh, but very tired because, you know, "SHE" knows how to work it down".
                                        (Did I mention horse is showing in YH at Devon?)
                                        Point is, as long as owner turn a blind eye (or obviously some owners just accept it) and smaller shows just don't have the resources, and people still train with these people, this problem goes on.

                                        I guess taking the easy way is the culture now. I find it hard to believe a newbe but ADULT rider still finds it acceptable to drug their horse. It is sad and disgusting.
                                        I used to be a (mexican-american) groom in the late '80s; we are the invisible ones at shows, but we see and hear everything. This kind of thing has always gone on. The only difference is that the internet and social media make it exponentially easier to expose these ghastly practices. Back then, it was vastly more difficult to prove that what you saw actually occurred.
                                        PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

                                        Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
                                          I can relate to this. I had a young boarder who would keep her horses with me seasonally. It was her first time owning horses and the very first trainer they came across, was also the man who sold them her horses. She rode WP, which I knew nothing at all about, but I knew his reputation and was disappointed. Long story short, they left when I wouldn't hang the mare in her stall. After a couple of years, they came back, begging for a safe place, telling me they are sorry for all they've put the horses through. I hate to think of it - I knew they were bashing them in the head for head tosses, but never had the teeth done once. They used spades and used them as weapons . I have since bought the mare, a friend bought the gelding.
                                          I couldn't reach them myself, because I wasn't a trainer - what did I know? Thank goodness eventually they became educated enough to question him and his tactics. In the interem though, I was a dumb@$$ and they had their "professional trainer". I'm just glad they finally came round. I hope this young blogger has the same epiphany.

                                          ETA: obviously though, some people will always be cheaters and abusers. That's why we have the trainers like the bloggers and my boarder's. So, it will depend entirely on this bloggers conscience...if she has none, she'll only go on to perpetuate the cheating.
                                          Thank you for rescuing this mare.
                                          PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

                                          Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X