• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD Blog re: drugging at show??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, I'm probably really late on this seeing as the girl has deleted her blog almost down to nothing. However, i'll put my two cents in.

I'm VERY opposed to drugging. Of any kind. Maybe I was sort of okay with it at first, before I saw what it could do to a horse.

My parents last year decided to lease a horse from my then trainer for me to do the Childrens/Juniors on(needless to say, this didn't happen due to the story i'm about to tell you). I knew the horse from when his owner had it and used to show it, but she had quit riding and the horse had been sent on a Texas tour going from barn to barn and wouldn't ever sell. That should have been my first tip off but of course, being somewhat naïve about the whole thing I sort of dismissed any such ideas. I spent a weekend at my trainer's before this A rated show that we were going to so I could get used to the horse. Horse was perfect.

Long story short though, it ended up being that the horse was drugged the entire time to keep him sound and muscled up. This poor horse was at my barn briefly after the lady that my trainer worked for fired him, and the said trainer ended up leaving because he wasn't on board for working his way up again and cited that he had to concentrate on his 'riding' and couldn't be made to do barn chores.. Our barn is a small sort of operation and here he comes with all of his clients and won't even be there every day to take care of their horses let alone check on them. He ended up moving to this shack of a barn and even after the lease ended he tried to sign me on to keep riding his horses at shows(even after he put down my riding ability and said my career was over because my parents don't want another mouth to feed and wouldn't buy me the six figure horse that HE wanted them to buy) and when I visited this shack of a barn the horse was in skinny condition from not getting fed as well as receiving what ever drugs he was on to keep him muscled up and he was lame to boot and the trainer EVEN HAD ME TRY AND JUMP THIS POOR HORSE who had no energy and could barely move.

So I walked. Horse went back to his owner and has been resting ever since.
    Last edited by MonterStables; Apr. 23, 2013, 10:37 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

What blog was it? PM me if you don't want to out it here.

This annoys me for a few reasons.

First of all, there is a trainer in my area who drugs her horse every single time she rides it. I hate this, but I try and be friendly because she is good friends with my good friend. I always ask my other friend WHY she is all about the drugging...we think it has become a crutch.

Moving on. This trainer has students at a local very small schooling show, and she is drugging some of the students horses. They all think it's no big deal. Forget that it's not safe, it's cheating, and frig, if you can't ride the horse sober then don't bother riding at all.

I saw her at a show on the weekend and she asked me if I had given my horse a cocktail, I said AHH NO...no need. She says, oh there is no way I would be riding today without one.

Some people are way too nonchalant about this. You can't do anything at a schooling show though, there are no rules against it.
      Fillys By Vibank - 2017 Road to RRP
      https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

What ever happened to riding ability?

I have a truly hot ottb, who can get even hotter at shows, and super hot in warm up rings. Some days sit tight and figure rights are my best friend, some days I drive 2 hours, scratch him and just school. One time, we were right on the cusp of getting him settled at a small schooling show, and we asked for 5 minutes. I'm not a great rider by any means, but seriously? Its not hard to figure out whether or not you can settle down your horse that day with exercises.

Oh and I love the CA drug rule! It keeps more honesty at the lower levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
          I saw her at a show on the weekend and she asked me if I had given my horse a cocktail, I said AHH NO...no need. She says, oh there is no way I would be riding today without one.

Some people are way too nonchalant about this. You can't do anything at a schooling show though, there are no rules against it.
          This just blows me away. I've never been around anyone who gives "cocktails" (this term is even new to me), and I just can't fathom the mindset of yacking about it to people. I'm really glad that I've been sheltered from it though, because reading about it really stresses me out .

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy17 View Post
            It seriously amazes me what people post on the internet. Like if no one reads what they post, but a few select people. You see it everyday on Facebook and Twitter. The concept of the screen shot and the left click-save is completely lost on many.
            The really sad part of this is that she sounds disappointed that she can no longer be honest about her dishonesty. I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who can't tell the world how she is drugging her first horse so she can handle him at shows.

And it makes me even sadder/madder to know that this is her first horse and this is what some craptastic trainer with a "Good" reputation is teaching her. That drugging in order to show is okay. That they are familiar enough with drugs that they have a nickname for them at the barn. And then to brag about the ribbons won after her "jerk" of a horse was illegally calmed? Disgusting, really. I hope she's reading this thread (I imagine so) and gets a wake up call that what she and her "trainer" are doing is dishonest and BAD horsemanship.

I'm no primadonna. I've used drugs for specific reasons...but never at a show. My equine drug usage has been limited to rehabbing. If I couldn't figure out how to ride my horse at a show, I would either find someone else who could handle them or I would rearrange my goals for that particular show (maybe just hanging out is going to be a good idea) or that particular horse.
            Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
            Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
              This just blows me away. I've never been around anyone who gives "cocktails" (this term is even new to me), and I just can't fathom the mindset of yacking about it to people. I'm really glad that I've been sheltered from it though, because reading about it really stresses me out .

Tell me about it....a friend of mine and I are always just gagging over her comments.
              Fillys By Vibank - 2017 Road to RRP
              https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

Originally posted by TBRedHead View Post
                What ever happened to riding ability?
                The desired look in hunters changed from where a bit forward was acceptable to a tail flick or toss of the head after a jump, or adjusting strides for a smaller or quicker or slower horse meant you could kiss any ribbons goodbye, and people decided doping was less cruel than lunging to death? And people want to show and trainers want to charge them to take them to shows, not wait until the horse and rider are both ready or get there and scratch.
                Author Page
                Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

LOL, I just caught the bloggers commentary...she thought she was being discreet by blogging about cocktails at a schooling show. That is so funny.

Comment

Can someone please PM me a link to the blog?

Comment

It's http://equestriantales.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/723/.

Originally posted by comingback View Post
                      cached internet pages can tell a tale long after someone "deletes" it.....wow.
                      Link for the non-tech-savy: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=nz

Anyone could locate the above page by searching a few words from the blog from an earlier post on the thread. Click "repeat the search with omitted results included" (the URL for the first result is just the home page). Point the mouse at the second result and a double arrow will appear the the right. Point the mouse at that then click "cached" in the section that appears to the right.

Comment

Wow, OP I have to give you props for just having the patience to read through that whole long, pointless mess just to FIND the mention of dugging.

PSA: Blogging is not for everyone!
                        Barn rat for life

Comment

I asked ___to hold him while I texted ___ that we would be needing a cocktail (what we call drugs at our barn), I had wanted to try it without but he was proving to be a jerk and it was making me extremely nervous. ___was nice enough to text her for us so we could continue trotting/cantering anything I could get him to do in the warmup ring. ___showed up, gave him his shot and told us to go walk around our ring (schooling had started) to get him used to everything. There were 3 rather large puddles, we’d have to go through/around them eventually to get to jumps. Thankfully HORSE didn’t care about them (druggies kicking in) and we trotted/cantered around and through them and all over the ring. Then she had us jump a single. I trotted him up to it, prepared for him to stop and be dramatic. To my surprise he peeked a little but popped right over it! Good pony! He got lots of pats and praise for that, and I began feeling much better.

Barn rat for life

Comment

uggh
                            "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                            carolprudm

Comment

Very sad on so many levels.

Comment

Reading the post makes me FURIOUS!!! I don't know who I am more disgusted with, the blogger or the trainer.

Personally, this is my favorite part of the whole post ...

"Please, no crit for using drugs. It was a local show and Titan has limited experience being off the farm. He is the type of horse who worries and gets oversensitive, difficult, and strong to ride. The only way to help him is to keep taking him on trips and insure that he has good experiences. I will never assume that we need drugs to have one, I will always give him the benefit of doubt and see where his head is at before I decide. It is also entirely my trainer’s decision, and I trust her judgement of where we are both at. By no means will I ride my horse drugged at every single show, I know by the end of the season (at least, if not before) he’ll be calmer. He just needs positive experiences, and if we need to drug him to get that then that is what we will decide to do. Thank you all for reading, and I do appreciate your comments."

It's really sad because the blogger doesn't even see what it is that's wrong with drugging at a show. If she wants to drug, do it on field trips where he isn't competing against other people who are actually working HARD to get a ribbon. She absolutely does not see it as cheating or giving her an edge over people who choose to abide by the rules; she sees it as a necessary or preferable solution to having a horse who is anxious off the property; and she completely abdicates responsibility for the situation to her trainer. She doesn't see the danger and is just looking for a quick fix. Sure, drugs are faster and more immediate than, say, doing it right and going on field trips until the horse gets used to being off the farm. Sorry for the rant, but I am just ... argh!

Comment

Pathetic.

Comment

Honestly, I don’t get – I have been “out of the loop” – haven’t shown at “A” shows or rated events since the mid 1990’s.

My trainers didn’t drug – anything ever – except for one horse in the barn that got some tranq for body clips. We NEVER drugged at shows. Shows did not have “sharps” containers. We rode thoroughbreds and did not lunge them into the ground. We did get up early to hack though.

It’s a shame the judges pin the drugged type – and not a natural way of going. Something has to change.

Changing horse showing from a SPORT and a HOBBY to an “ INDUSTRY” has ruined it in my opinion.

If a trainers job was to TRAIN the horse and TEACH the rider – why would drugs ever be a part of the picture? They wouldn't, that is because the trainer’s job has changed to “pleasing the owner” and getting ribbons - as that is what gets them paid.

Blogger- You and your trainer stand for what is wrong with this sport – opps, I mean “industry”

Try working on your riding, and your horse's training, and quit reaching for the needle. You have NO concept of horsemanship.

he’d start doing a little jog every few steps, something the drugs wasn’t fixing but I could work with that for sure.

was feeling so good about how Titan was acting (thank you drugs!) that I volunteered to go in first.
                                    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

Really? Drugging for classes with THREE people in them?

Must be pretty darned proud of that "champion" ribbon.

Comment

Stupid is as stupid does.
                                        If you're afraid to ride your horse, sell him, get someone else to ride him, or learn how to ride better. Pathetic. Horsemanship and good riding are dying in the show ring.
                                        As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

Holy crow. I thought it was a clueless kid....it it a clueless adult. Drugging for a pleasure class....way to go (insert eye roll). Wish I knew who the drugger.. Um ..."trainer" was...
                                          Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Working...
                                          X