• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Correct Jumping Positions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Jumping Positions

After looking through the current issue of the Chronicle, it seems not very many riders are learning the correct position for jumping. I am talking mostly about hunter riders and not the grand prix crowd. There are many photographs of riders who have their asses almost straight up in the air and their bodies are almost laying down the whole length of the horses' neck. I don't see how anyone can think this position is correct, not to mention the awkard photo it presents. I know this was not how I was taught when I was a kid, but then, that was a long time ago..

Oh goody. This again.

Comment

I propose that anytime someone brings up this topic that they first be required to post a recent picture and video of themselves. From there, we can decide to discuss or not.
      Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
      Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

• Original Poster

I did not know that this is a subject that had been previously discussed (to death, it would appear) as I don't read every single thread every single day. I was just making an observation and did not know I was opening up a can of worms. Sorry!

Comment

Basically it started when some BNT started doing itto make it look like the horse really cracks his back... then everyone followed suit... not really everyone, but you get the picture...

Comment

Agree. Now it's rewarded at a lot of shows around here. Guess I'm just a classic. But this has been done many times over for sure.
            Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Originally posted by Davignport View Post
              I did not know that this is a subject that had been previously discussed (to death, it would appear) as I don't read every single thread every single day. I was just making an observation and did not know I was opening up a can of worms. Sorry!
              Like you, I've noticed the same thing and just don't get it. It looks just plain awkward, like the rider is trying to be overly dramatic for no reason. Oh well.

That said, I was going to bring it up on this forum, but now I know (thank you ) that it has been discussed to death. Thank you for helping me dodge that bullet.

Comment

There have been several threads in the past year or two of pitching forward, leg swinging, and either exuberant or death grip releases in the hunters and eq. If you do a quick search I'm sure you will find several.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by sammicat View Post
                  Like you, I've noticed the same thing and just don't get it. It looks just plain awkward, like the rider is trying to be overly dramatic for no reason. Oh well.

That said, I was going to bring it up on this forum, but now I know (thank you ) that it has been discussed to death. Thank you for helping me dodge that bullet.
                  You're welcome

Comment

It's not that everybody necessarily loves the look, just that you need to see the whole round for one thing. And a picture is a split second in time, not a resume. All of us who have shown a lot as ammies or kids have some iffy pictures too but we run them if the horse looks great. Especially in the Hunters where the rider is not judged.

Its also distasteful to pick random people apart who are just pictured in a magazine. especially young people or ammies who are proud of their accomplishments. If you search the topic, there are a lot of threads rehashing the same thing with the same arguments on both sides at least once a year and neither side has ever established a clear victory. So most COTHERS stick to more helpful and positive discussions and avoid the "why does everybody else ride bad", its the old glass house thing. You might also search "automatic release" or "crest release" which is the other way overdone subject dredged up yearly for the same old same old debate where everything has been said. 100 times.
                    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Davignport View Post
                      Historically threads like this become a battle grounds because the differences of opinion.

Here is just one thread you can review to see how it goes -

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...+jump+position

The search can be your friend

I understand your observation but these photos you are looking at are more often professional riders that have "been" taught to ride. Hunters being judged on the horse, that type of horse at the A levels jumps very very different. I, like you, used to think why do they lay on the neck like that? And yes many do it because of habit, but much of it comes from the way a horse does in fact jump. These professionals know how to make a horse look good and that is their job. I'm sure you see some ammy spin off of this ride style but the reality is, it's Hunters and they are getting the job done without getting in the horses way.

At the top levels these horses are very specific in their style. People will pay big bucks for an EQ horse because of it's way of going. Jumps a bit flatter and keeps it's head up where a Hunter you want it's neck to reach and bring it's knees up to it's chin.

I recently bought a new young horse as a Hunter prospect. As he has progressed in his training we are seeing a huge, lofty, round, jump come out of him. Of course we are thrilled because he's jumping like a "Hunter" but my trainers comment when I said something about riding him in the Eq... his response was flat classes, sure but with his big jump it will be more difficult because of his round power jump.
                      Live in the sunshine.
                      Swim in the sea.
                      Drink the wild air.

Comment

Shoot, I was looking forward to a spicy thread with lots of 'back in my day' and 'no one gallops any more' and 'the crest release is evil' and 'whatever happened to Thoroughbreds' and 'people today are spoiled' and 'all hunters are drugged'. I was kind of looking forward to a good train wreck.
                        ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Comment

Working...
                        X