• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Turn Out Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Out Time

I've read some startlingly low numbers and it's got me curious:

- How much turn out does your horse receive? (hours per day)
    - How large is the area? Grass, dirt, etc?
    - Is it a show facility? Where are you located?
    - Are you happy with this? Are you a victim of your area, or do you prefer what you currently have?

+ anything else you'd like to add.

In the middle of winter 8-4ish, longer as the days lengthen (horses get brought in just before it gets dark). In the summer, turnout at 6ish and in at 8 the next morning.

pasture size ranges from .5 acre to 30 acres. Mine are each with one other horse on a couple acres of grass pasture.

It's a barn with most riders showing (mostly eventing, some dressage), but the barn itself does not host shows.

Obviously I love it There are some other barns in the area with nice turnout, but nothing like this barn! The pastures are huge and well maintained, the horses go out in small groups or individually, and they are out for as long as the time of year allows.

Comment

Usually none. She gets handgrazed for up to an hour and gets turned out in a field where she'll usually roll and play a little before wanting to come back in. Occasionally she'll stay out there for half an hour or so before getting hysterical and wanting to come in.

Quite large. Grass.

Yes. Bedford, NY.

- Are you happy with this? Are you a victim of your area, or do you prefer what you currently have?
      The area is fantastic and beautiful. Ideally, yes, I'd like to have a horse who preferred to be outside unsupervised longer. It would make my life a little easier to schedule if I could toss her out in a field and leave her there for a few hours. But... with that being said, I'm thrilled that I have a healthy and happy horse whose routine works so well for her.

I certainly hope people don't judge me based on the routine that works for me and mine
      http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
      Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

nearly 24, minus severe weather, feeding, and indoor work
        He cribs severely when in his stall and is much more relaxed and attentive when turned out.
        30 acres of grass pasture and wooded area
        No. While most of the borders are Western pleasure riders, a few show in hunters, jumpers, and eventing. Southern IN
        There are some things I'm not particularly pleased about (such as barbed wire fencing ), but given the limited options, I'm happy. The people are wonderful, my horse loves all the turnout space, and for $200/month he gets a stall that is cleaned and bedded, is fed and provided hay and water, and we have an indoor and outdoor arena and lots of trail riding. Overall I'm very pleased and prefer it to the fancier barns in the area.

Comment

Out 24/7 year round in a 4-acre grass pasture (they come in for bad weather). Back yard type of barn - not a show barn (sorry but I have NO desire to be in that type of setting!). I'm in NH - tons of horses here and most barns have ample grass turn-out including a decent amount of show barns. The only thing I'd change would be that I wish it was MY place & I didn't have to board!
          "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

Originally posted by Only By Night View Post

In the winter she's out from 8am-4pm, summer I'm assuming she'll be out from 4pm-8am (my barn hasn't switched to summer schedule yet).

There are six turnouts each large enough for 1-2 horses, and two pastures big enough for 3-4 (I'm really bad at estimating acreage).

We go to shows fairly regularly, but I wouldn't say it's a show barn. I'm about 30 minutes outside Raleigh, NC.

I'm happy with where I'm at. The turnouts and pastures have very little grass, but my trainer inherited the barn already in that condition; she moved there this past november. She's working hard to bring the grass back. If I didn't like where I am now, I probably would be a victim of my area. But I love where I'm at--I have a great trainer, the care is the best my horse has had since I bought her, and the facility is well run. The only catch is that it's also the most expensive barn we've been at, but it's well worth it.
            If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
            If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
            If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Comment

1)9 hours per day
              2)Grass with some dirt/limestone areas, 2 acres with 2 other horses
              3)Yes, WI
              4)I am satisfied but I wish he could be out 12 hours instead of 9 during the nice months.

Comment

How much turnout does your horse receive?
                Pasture 24/7 except for severe inclement weather where he is put in a stall.

How large is turnout area?
                5ish acre field with 1 or 2 other horses (currently a 2 yo filly and 10 yo mare with my guy), free choice round bales as well as nice grass.

What type of facility is it? Show?
                Backyard barn but most boarders show. In Northeastern NC. Many barns closer to where I live versus the 36 mile commute each way

Are you happy with what you have? If not what would you change?
                I love 90% of it, 10% I just need to get used to. My horse is happier than a pig in mud! I'm not a victim of location seeing as I choose to drive out of state and have a longer commute than is necessary.
                Last edited by anmoro; Apr. 15, 2013, 10:23 PM. Reason: bad spelling!

Comment

1. 24/7 with access to 2 open stalls with an attached run-in style barn.
                  2. 3 1-acre pastures. Winter- all 2 open, Summer- 2 open to rest the other and rotate
                  3. Maryland. We show but we are a backyard type of barn
                  4. It does the job
                  "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
                  - quoted by Martha Drum

Comment

Mine get out for about 8 hours a day, which is great as the farm generally only does 1-2 hours per day for the individual horses. My two go out together, so they have an entire paddock to themselves. Not sure of the size. In the winter its shorter time, as there are less all weather paddocks.

Comment

Around 10 hours in the winter, 14 in the summer (day vs. night turnout).
                      One horse is in a ~2 acre pasture with other horses, the other 1/4-1/2 acre by himself. Grass.
                      Everybody shows, but the barns aren't super fancy or very large. Near Raleigh, NC.
                      I like how it is.

Comment

Warmer months: Out around 5:30, in by 8:30 the next morning...reverse this for colder months.
                        We have paddocks/pastures of various sizes. My personal horse is out with his beloved mare and they have a nice area, including access to the grass ring right now. :-)
                        Yes. Bedford, VA.
                        Love it! Our horses have the freedom of the program that suits them best as individuals...that is to say, there is no restriction on turnout availability, so they can be in or out as much as it suits them.
                        Katie Gardner ~ Otteridge Farm
                        Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Otteri...12757628746926

Comment

About 8AM to 4PM on day turnout, about 6PM to 8AM on night turnout in the summer.

He is currently on a 2-acre field with a buddy on what I am hoping will not be too much grass. Checking feet like crazy. (Never diagnosed IR, but if it looks like a duck and it walks like a duck, you don't turn it out on clover.) In the past he has been on a 1/2-acre dirt lot in summer but that is not available at this facility and may be a bit of overkill.

This is not a show facility, but the turnout routine was the same when I was (with a dirt lot, though.) I'm in Baltimore.

My only complaint is that the grass is too good. Now that I've said that, I'm preparing to be run out of the Greenspring Valley by owners of hard keepers brandishing pitchforks.
                          "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                          Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

In southern California, my horse was out an hour a day in a sand paddock, individual turnout. It was an extra charge and per day to do so.

These were show-oriented facilities and in or near urban Los Angeles. The only other option in that area is dirt dry lots shared by multiple horses, and typically that is available only sparingly and in places without much in the way of arena infrastructure etc.
                            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

How much turnout does your horse receive?
                              24/7 pasture with a buddy. They have a large covered shelter that they can go under if they so choose, and they are fed there every day. There are also clumps of large shade trees that are great for summer shade. The drainage is excellent. We don't get much snow, but can get lots of rain, so drainage is very important.

How large is turnout area?
                              Field is about 2 acres. I'm in (way) NorCal. The fields are a mix of grass, dirt, stone. The grass is enough to keep them grazing and entertained but not enough to sustain them on pasture alone.

What type of facility is it? Show?
                              Kind of in-between. Most everyone but a few boarders show, but it's a diverse group - some h/j, some eventers, lots of dressage, some endurance, trails, etc. Every horse, even those in the barn, has access to at least 1/4 of an acre of pasture. Each stall is connected to a 1/4 acre run. Most pasture boarders have 2 acre fields with two horses in them. There are also two 7 acres fields with 4 horses in them.

Are you happy with what you have? If not what would you change?
                              I just recently moved here on Thurs, but so far I love it. The care is excellent, the horses are all fat and happy, and the arena is BEAUTIFUL. My only complaint is that it's a 20 minute drive, but considering other peoples' commutes, I have no right to complain!

Comment

My horse is out during the day in a 4acre grass field. He comes in to a 1 acre dry lot at night with 2 buddies. I would love for him to have pasture turnout 24/7 but surprisingly that's hard to find around here. The barn is a local-level show barn with several disciplines.
                                Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                My equine soulmate
                                Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

24hrs. He's strictly a field boarder.

Perfect -a hilly, grassy, rocky, (guestimating) about 5 or 6 acres I'd say. He has 4 or 5 buddies from memory.

Very active eventing, barrel racing, cow sorting, breeding, barn. They will occasionally host Western stuff, but mostly they haul out (in large numbers -8horses yesterday to a CCWC show, plus other students who hauled their own horses). This is Sunset Valley in Union Bridge, MD.

I had no idea I loved this. I came from the tradition of small barns with adults. I always thought the idea of a big barn teeming with kids, carts, cars, trucks, trailers, longhorns, donkeys, etc. wouldn't be for me. Now I cannot imagine anything else.

Paula
                                  He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

How much turn out does your horse receive? (hours per day)
                                    2 hrs/day with a buddy, weather permitting. If it's muddy, the horses don't go out.

How large is the area? Grass, dirt, etc?
                                    Small dirt paddock

Is it a show facility? Where are you located?
                                    Very much a show oriented barn, but doesn't host shows on site. TX

Are you happy with this? Are you a victim of your area, or do you prefer what you currently have?
                                    No, but it is standard for the area. It's frustrating when my horse is bouncing off the walls from being in a stall for three days because of rain, but it's better than the former barn that was a rock filled mess and mud pit that sucked shoes off every other week. I'm able to look past the turnout situation when this barn has the best location and training.

Comment

4 hours a day. He could get more, but he's not an outside loving horse, he goes out, runs around for 10 minutes then sits and sunbathes or grazes for 3 hours and 50 minutes everytime. He's so routine about this. He freaks out for 10 minutes and then literally just falls on to the sand and sleeps for the rest of the time. The first time he got turn out we all ran out to him because we thought he'd fallen and hurt himself but nope, he's just weird.
                                      He gets turn out in an outdoor riding ring because he needs run space that our paddocks can't offer, everytime he gets turned out in pasture he either pulls a shoe or tries to jump the fence.
                                      Yes it is a show facility and I'm happy with it simply because its what works for my horse. Our other 4 horses get much more turn out and in paddocks because it works for them. One is also on pasture board.
                                      Mendokuse

Comment

Originally posted by Only By Night View Post

Now, in upstate NY, my horse lives outside 24/7 on grass. Not a show facility but I am much happier with this arrangement then at my old barn (a show facility) where my horse could only be turned out in a small paddock for maybe an hour or two a day.

My old barn was downstate and I definitely was a victim of my area. It wasn't the barns fault - there just wasn't a lot of land for turn out.

This has been said here before, but I'll reiterate: what works for one horse doesn't work for all. I would have been more unhappy with my old horse getting such limited turn out if I didn't know she disliked being turned out. Some horses hate it and that is fine - my current guy is quite happy to munch away on grass out in the field.

Comment

Working...
                                        X