• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question - Board When your Horse ins't there - What Do you Pay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arlosmine View Post
    PROFIT? what Profit?
    That being said, for two weeks or more, I discounted board for cost of feed and shavings. Not labor or utilities.
    You run a business and don't make a profit?? I have difficulties believing that, how does a business continue to operate with no profit?

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
      Bolding by me.

The BO can not very well tell the hay guy to cut a month later because they managed to save 100 bales because one boarder decided to take Dobbin some where else for a few months.

I get the point you are trying to make but your examples are not helping you make the point well.

Offering a discount is a very nice gesture if a barn owner can do it.
      I didn't realize that hay guys CUT the hay based on when individual BOs wanted the hay delivered. Maybe this is a regional difference. Where I am located, the hay is cut and then stored. When you want hay, you order it by the bale and it is delivered/picked up from where it is stored. If you want 100 bales you get 100. If you want 1000 you get 1000. When you want it, not when the farmer wants to cut it. The grain and shavings are the same. When you run out, you order more and it's delivered. If you don't go through it as quickly as you anticipated, you push back when you order or order less next time. None of it is being PRODUCED based on the ordering. It's all being produced and stored and then it is delivered and paid for when ordered. I have never seen a setup in my area where a BO is obligated to take the hay immediately when it's baled, in the amount that the farmer has, whether she needs/wants it/has space for it or not.

I'll give you a concrete example from when I did stalls. The barn had 20 horses. Let's just say for the sake of easy math that each horse ate a bag of grain per month, ate 15 bales of hay per month, and used 15 wheelbarrows of shavings per month (underestimates but just to make the math easy).

When 4 horses went to Aiken for 2 months, things changes considerably. All of a sudden, chores took an hour less (and I was paid for an hour less work. Though I will agree with those who say that payment arrangement wasn't ideal and I will also agree with those who say it's worth keeping payment consistent to keep good help). At $10/hour, a savings of an hour a day added up to $280 less pay each month, a total of $560.

We didn't need to order as much grain. After the first month, we had 4 extra bags. So we reduced the next month by 4 bags and the month after that too. Which meant the grain bill was cheaper. We ordered 8 fewer bags of grain while the horses were gone.

We went through less hay and shavings. Whereas normally we had to call the shavings guy for a load by the end of the month, in the first month they were away-- the end of the month came and we still had some left. So we were able to wait another week or two to re-order shavings. By the end of the second month, we had a lot left. It allowed us to "skip" a month in ordering shavings.

We went through less hay. At the end of the winter, we still had 120 bales left. Normally we'd be out. So when we placed the spring order, we ordered 120 fewer bales than normal. That saved money on the hay bill.

Obviously the costs are incremental. One horse gone for one month saves less than 10 horses gone for 10 months. But the reality is that things like shavings/grain/hay are used in increments and they are not used when the stall is "dry." Things like insurance/mortgage on the property, maintenance of the rings, etc. are spent regardless of whether a few horses leave or not. Not every BO gives a discount when horses are gone for extended periods. It's their perogative, and your decision as a boarder whether you agree to that contractual term or not. But the reality is that there ARE incremental expenses that are ONLY expended when a live horse is being boarded and there are a lot of reasons why it's more fair to deduct those costs, since the BO is not actually incurring them anymore, during a period of excused extended absence when the stall is just being "held." It's not like the BO says "oh well, Dobbin is gone, I guess I'll still order grain for him and throw it in the trash." Setting aside the issue of whether there SHOULD be a discount or not, it's a reality that it does cost the BO less when there are fewer horses on the property when we're talking about feed/bedding (and typically labor).
      ~Veronica
      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Originally posted by Zenyatta View Post
        You run a business and don't make a profit?? I have difficulties believing that, how does a business continue to operate with no profit?
        I'll wager a guess that there's profit on training/showing/sales but not much profit on strictly the board. Which is not uncommon.
        ~Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
          I didn't realize that hay guys CUT the hay based on when individual BOs wanted the hay delivered.
          Sigh.
          No, but lots of bigger barns (around here) buy out of the field. The wagons are delivered and unloaded right into the barn. It is cheaper.
          If the hay guy has to unload into his barn and then reload to deliver the price goes up quite a bit.

But then I suppose the barn owner can pay a worker to move the extra left over hay out of the way so it can get stacked at the front. Oh wait, that is costing the BO extra when you insist the BO is totally saving along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
            Sigh.
            No, but lots of bigger barns (around here) buy out of the field. The wagons are delivered and unloaded right into the barn. It is cheaper.
            If the hay guy has to unload into his barn and then reload to deliver the price goes up quite a bit.

But then I suppose the barn owner can pay a worker to move the extra left over hay out of the way so it can get stacked at the front. Oh wait, that is costing the BO extra when you insist the BO is totally saving along the way.
            Then it's a regional difference. No place I've ever boarded in the mid-Atlantic, RI, or Atlanta area bought out of the field. I actually briefly investigated growing hay myself (didn't end up buying that property) and spoke with the hay farmer who would have done the work-- and he did not mention that sort of arrangement. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Can't you still buy only as much as you want? Can't you buy 100 bales less because you still have 100 in the loft? And maybe the time the stall cleaners don't spend every day cleaning stalls for horses who aren't there can be spent moving the hay in the loft? So the labor is actually zero sum?
            ~Veronica

Comment

Then it's a regional difference. No place I've ever boarded in the mid-Atlantic, RI, or Atlanta area bought out of the field. I actually briefly investigated growing hay myself (didn't end up buying that property) and spoke with the hay farmer who would have done the work-- and he did not mention that sort of arrangement. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Can't you still buy only as much as you want? Can't you buy 100 bales less because you still have 100 in the loft? And maybe the time the stall cleaners don't spend every day cleaning stalls for horses who aren't there can be spent moving the hay in the loft? So the labor is actually zero sum?
              I'm from your area. Just moved to the MidWest. In both places, I have had farmers who will cut and bale, and send it to me right off the wagon. It's not regional.
              Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Originally posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
                I'm from your area. Just moved to the MidWest. In both places, I have had farmers who will cut and bale, and send it to me right off the wagon. It's not regional.
                And you're unable to tell them how much you want?
                ~Veronica

Comment

And you're unable to tell them how much you want?
                  What is your problem? I know how much I need. "I" am not the issue. You said buying hay off a wagon must be regional. I merely pointed out that, having the experience in the Mid West and East Coast, you are wrong.

Comment

What is your problem? I know how much I need. "I" am not the issue. You said buying hay off a wagon must be regional. I merely pointed out that, having the experience in the Mid West and East Coast, you are wrong.

What's your problem? I asked a simple question. In the arrangement you're describing, are you obligated to buy all the hay that's produced or do you get to dictate how much you want? I am trying to understand this buying from the field thing?! If I end up buying a farm assessed property and growing hay, I'd like to know if it's a common arrangement that I can find a buyer who will take whenever I produce, no matter when I produce it and no matter the amount.

And it's relevant to what we're discussing, specifically whether when horses are gone there are consumable products that the BO can buy less of. If the BO keeps getting more hay than she needs, at some point she's going to have to cry uncle unless she's got unlimited storage. I just don't agree with the argument that it doesn't cost the BO less in certain consumable products when the horse isn't there. You seem to be arguing that because the BO buys the hay out of the field, she doesn't actually buy less-- but I find the arrangement odd if the BO can't have some control over how much she buys. If a horse is gone for several months and she doesn't use up that horse's allocation of hay, I would think logically she could buy a little less hay next time. You seem adamant that's not the case. I am trying to understand why.
                    ~Veronica

Comment

What's your problem? I asked a simple question. In the arrangement you're describing, are you obligated to buy all the hay that's produced or do you get to dictate how much you want? I am trying to understand this buying from the field thing?! If I end up buying a farm assessed property and growing hay, I'd like to know if it's a common arrangement that I can find a buyer who will take whenever I produce, no matter when I produce it and no matter the amount.

And it's relevant to what we're discussing, specifically whether when horses are gone there are consumable products that the BO can buy less of. If the BO keeps getting more hay than she needs, at some point she's going to have to cry uncle unless she's got unlimited storage. I just don't agree with the argument that it doesn't cost the BO less in certain consumable products when the horse isn't there. You seem to be arguing that because the BO buys the hay out of the field, she doesn't actually buy less-- but I find the arrangement odd if the BO can't have some control over how much she buys. If a horse is gone for several months and she doesn't use up that horse's allocation of hay, I would think logically she could buy a little less hay next time. You seem adamant that's not the case. I am trying to understand why.
                      I'm not adamant about anything. Read for comprehension. I corrected a comment you made that was wrong. Plain wrong re: buying hay off a wagon being regional. Carry on and bless your heart.

Comment

I'm not adamant about anything. Read for comprehension. I corrected a comment you made that was wrong. Plain wrong re: buying hay off a wagon being regional. Carry on and bless your heart.
                        Then it seems we agree about hay being a consumable good that fluctuated based on the number of horses. Good to know about buying "off the wagon." I've never heard of that being done here but if I do grow hay that would be better than selling it to the hay dealer-- so maybe someone near me will want to buy it that way. It's still not clear to me that it's an outputs contract (buyer must buy all produced) or not. I am assuming not.
                        ~Veronica

Comment

Then it seems we agree about hay being a consumable good that fluctuated based on the number of horses. Good to know about buying "off the wagon." I've never heard of that being done here but if I do grow hay that would be better than selling it to the hay dealer-- so maybe someone near me will want to buy it that way. It's still not clear to me that it's an outputs contract (buyer must buy all produced) or not. I am assuming not.
                          The farmers I have dealt with or seen let you buy as much or little as you want. One gave a discount to someone who bought the whole wagon in one shot, straight out if the field. He didn't have to store it and had cash. One farmer sold bales for $3 if you came and took it off the wagon yourself, or my self care boarder from Pa said that. If you have the capability to grow hay at your plnew place, that's awesome.

Comment

The farmers I have dealt with or seen let you buy as much or little as you want. One gave a discount to someone who bought the whole wagon in one shot, straight out if the field. He didn't have to store it and had cash. One farmer sold bales for $3 if you came and took it off the wagon yourself, or my self care boarder from Pa said that. If you have the capability to grow hay at your plnew place, that's awesome.
                            This is helpful. Selling from the field was honestly not an option I had considered. For the NJ farm assessment I need some sort of profit and some places did have enough land to grow hay but typically not sufficient storage to keep it all. And I doubt the hay auction guy would pay what a barn owner would pay. So this is good food for thought that I had not considered.
                            ~Veronica

Comment

This is helpful. Selling from the field was honestly not an option I had considered. For the NJ farm assessment I need some sort of profit and some places did have enough land to grow hay but typically not sufficient storage to keep it all. And I doubt the hay auction guy would pay what a barn owner would pay. So this is good food for thought that I had not considered.
                              The one guy who had people buy it and load it himself advertised at the local feed store and on a local schooling show/club website. Or if you tap into some smaller barns or self care people. I remember my self care woman took her horse trailer and filled it sky high with the bales. Ok- a farm in NJ with enough land to grow hay? Officially jealous When I was relocating I was looking in Hunterdon County (wow, nice but $$$) Can't wait to get back East.

Comment

I've had tp pull horses out of boarding situations for over 10 years to head south for the winter. In my experience, if you want your stall back, you pay. If you don't, you don't and you take the chance the stall isn't there when you get back. Sometimes you get lucky and the barn owner will offer a prorated rate.

I think Many here are looking at it wrong. People keep saying, the barn owners cost goes down, so they should offer that break to me. First, their labor is often their largest cost, and they have to pay the same if there are 10 horses in the facility or 11. Most often they can't let one person go just because you decide to move. Unless you have hourly employees only, that flexibility probably doesnt exist. Second, you are assuming that the barn owner can't recoup with a new boarder who will pay full freight. Why should they forego income if they can bring in a new boarder?

You are often leaving for your convenience, not the barns. Again, sometimes you get lucky, but it is reasonable to expect to pay full freight while you are gone. If you don't want to, take your chances and have a new barn picked out for backup when you return.

Comment

Depends.

Sometimes you commit in advance to buy x00bales (or tons) over the year, so if there is a shortage you get priority treatment. But if you you end up not needing all of it you are stuck with it.

Sometimes you just get what you need each time. But then you run the risk that, near the end of the season, the farmer will say "sorry, I don't have any that isn't already committed".
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

The one guy who had people buy it and load it himself advertised at the local feed store and on a local schooling show/club website. Or if you tap into some smaller barns or self care people. I remember my self care woman took her horse trailer and filled it sky high with the bales. Ok- a farm in NJ with enough land to grow hay? Officially jealous When I was relocating I was looking in Hunterdon County (wow, nice but $$$) Can't wait to get back East.
                                    Oh, I am looking WAY SOUTH of there but hope to get my own little square of grass for the ponies soon
                                    ~Veronica

Comment

I have not read all the posts. I would expect that in a boarding situation, if I go off for a week or so to go horse camping, I would pay full board and I expect to take my horses hay ration with me! If a barn would not allow that, I would not board there.

Comment

I run our barn as a co-op where each boarder provides an equal amount of labor over the course of a month to take care of all 11 horses. I provide, and am reimbursed for, the direct costs associated with keeping horses. We set up a general budget for these items and it's reviewed and tweaked once a year.
                                        On the list of costs: hay (budgeted at say one bale per horse per day), shavings (max 3 per week per stall), standard grain (up to X lbs per day), standard supplements (BOSS, Red 7), deworming, water, electricity, propane for heating tack room, manure removal, fuel for manure truck and ring drag tractor, excess liability insurance for the pleasure of the boarders' company, replacement of 3 fence rails per horse per year and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. We put in nothing for property taxes, for field mowing/ upkeep, or our own labor.

I do everything I can to keep prices down. I buy a year's worth of hay straight from the field so I need to establish the budgeted number of bales. Then usage has to be managed to the budget as additional bales in the middle of winter will be at least 50% more expensive. Ditto shavings. To get the best price, I buy a year's worth at one time. I go to the grain store monthly and haul it myself to save money. So I'm fronting these expenses, then getting "reimbursed" monthly. And despite my efforts, I can't get the monthly price to be less than $355, and it may go higher this year as price escalations kick in.

Whenever a boarder has gone south for the winter or had an extended leave, I charge nothing for the empty stall. I require that they arrange to cover their work shifts, as otherwise it would be unfair to everyone else. And if one person uses less hay one month or whatever, I can't and don't discount the board. If I were to do this, I'd have to act like a hall monitor, watching everything on a daily basis and constantly recalculating. Not how I want to live, thank you very much. They are expected to chip in more if they exceed the budget.

And FWIW, I have a lengthy waiting list, so I guess the arrangement is working!
                                        They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                                        Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

I'm not paying anything (gone for 90 days training), but I also have given up my stall. For a very long-term absence, if I wanted to return, I would try to work with the BO to get a discount for the feed I'm not using, but I had one of 6 stalls in the more expensive barn (insulated) so I would understand her wanting $. Speaking of utilities, her heating bill would go up, not down without that body in there.

I'm not willing to pay full board when I'm gone for 90 days, but I also recognize she doesn't have to hold my stall for me. She actually offered to hold a stall, but I think she *really* likes my horse (sweetie, clean in her stall, and I pay on time and don't give her grief).

For an absence up to a month, I would expect to pay board and be pleasantly suprised if I got a break.

For random trips = full board, but I take barn hay.

I never got a break on board when I was showing, but we brought barn hay and grain. I guess I did buy my own bedding.

We buy hay at once for the year so we know we have it.
                                          DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                          X