• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone ride in a protective vest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting timing on this question! I just got back on my horse this afternoon, for the first time in a month, due to a fall that broke 2 ribs! Like you, I was rehabbing my mare from an injury, she was Aced and trotting happily along when something (??) spooked her, she bolted, bucking like a tarpon on a line, and dumped me. I hemmed and hawed about getting a vest (am I really one of THOSE people??) but finally found one on consignment cheap enough that I figured I'd try it and see if it was something I would wear. I'm glad I did. It is kind of hot but once we got going today, I didn't think about it. I feel more secure, I know my trainer feels better for me and I doubt anyone will bat an eye.

Comment

I always wear one when I jump and in lessons. I was one of the few in my lessons who wore one (it made my mom feel better) I personally think it makes a big difference when you come off.

Comment

I want one really badly. I have a perfectly sweet, gentle horse; but you just help that vulnerable feeling of fear. I feel naked up there (in the saddle). A vest would make me feel so much better. (I do plan to get one. Just trying to fit the expense in.)
        I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Comment

RPP--if you are who I think you may be....I will definitely NOT laugh at you, and will beat up anyone who does. I probably could have used a vest myself during summer 2011! My shoulder and ribs still hurt sometimes.

"Orange is NOT the new Black."--President Barack Obama

Comment

It never was even on my radar. I'd worn one once when I was test riding a pony horse at a racetrack and it was policy. It took just one "you ain't as young as you wuz" fall for me to go out and spend a goodly amount of money (for me) on a Tipperary.

Paula
            He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

I wear one. I ride a range of horses and just leave it on. I don't "select" when I wear it, for example I don't just put it on for spooky/green horses or windy days, etc. IME the worst accidents occur when you are least expecting them so I just leave the thing on. We also work with race horses, and I require the riders I hire to wear both helmets and vests so that is partly how I got in the habit. I also had a nasty fall at one point and wearing a vest helped me recover my confidence. I often wear it to show in the jumpers but not the hunters. No one has ever said a single word to me about it but I've never asked anyone for their opinion either. If someone did say something negative about it, I'd just assume anyone who makes fun of safety equipment used for riding and handling unpredictable 1200lb animals to be an idiot. I think we are going to see more vests in the h/j world in the future, probably as soon as one of the fancy h/j brands realizes that the helmet market is saturated and needs something new to sell.

Comment

I wear one! My horse is green and I'm out of shape and struggle with fear issues. It hugs me just enough to help me to feel safer and braver, which is what he needs!!

Comment

I wear mine unless it's insanely hot and I'm just doing a quick flat ride......which is maybe three times in the two years I've had it. I have a very trustworthy horse, but even he has a pretty nasty spook-and-spin move. I feel a little odd when I ride without it. And now that my horse in on career #3 as a cattle horse, I can't see myself riding without it any time soon.

Plus it is the best sports bra ever!
                  I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

I don't but I am looking into getting one soon. I ride at a mostly eventer stable so I would fit right in and no one would even question me (except maybe my fellow h/j barnees.)

Comment

I wear a Tipperary. The ride lite is very affordable and comfortable. I had a horse collapse under me several years ago, and if I had not had a vest on, my injuries would have been much worse since he rolled on me. The only injury I got was a shattered collarbone, but there is no way to protect that
                      like other posters, it does help me to be more relaxed since I feel 'protected'.
                      Elizabeth
                      The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, thanks all! I will wear it proudly when I finally ride again on Friday!

" If someone did say something negative about it, I'd just assume anyone who makes fun of safety equipment used for riding and handling unpredictable 1200lb animals to be an idiot."- BeeHoney, I LOVE this. Yes, yes.

"It hugs me just enough to help me to feel safer and braver, which is what he needs!!"- OneGray, this is great, and what I'm hoping for! I'm pretty sure the last spook/fall we had was due to me being anxious about the spot where the first spook/fall happened..so poor horse assumed there was something to be scared of, and was, and off I went. I'm hoping the vest will give me added confidence!
                        Last edited by RolyPolyPony; Apr. 10, 2013, 08:07 AM. Reason: always forget that html tags don't work!

Comment

I have a Casel Equi vest. Wear it every ride. I usually throw a light weight vest (from walmart) over it too, more for pockets than anything else. I absolutely LOVE this best. Best $$ I ever spent. Helped me through nervous times, helping me be more confident knowing if I fell, I would have cushion for the fall. Have had it 4 yrs now and when it's sweaty, it comes in the shower to be cleaned and it is ready to go the next day. Yes it is hot in the summer but I don't care....sweat = weight loss :-) I put a light weight vented polo on under it, and we are good.

Try some on and see what fits you best though. I got mine at Equine Affair and had it adjusted every time since, thru the company and they have been most accommodating too.

Comment

Those of you who ride with a vest, which brand do you recommend? I am considering one as well. Thanks RPP for starting this

Comment

I never understood the whole thing where people laugh at the ones in helmets and vests. What's their argument? Haha you want to be safe?

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                                One good fall last Fall, one at least well-dented rib, having had the experience of being afraid to sneeze for the piss-yourself-pain it caused, I have a vest now. Hacking out in a vest.
                                Ditto. I've been wearing one for every ride. However, I'm coming up on my first summer and am really concerned because I'm not sure I'm going to make it through a lesson, where I'm really working, without getting heat stroke.

Temperature concerns aside, I love my vest (Airowear Outlyne) and I swear it fits me better every time I put it on. It's much less cumbersome than I feared it would be and far more comfortable than I expected. The additional confidence it gives me is wonderful, as I'm another one who mostly rides alone.
                                "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                                that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by ColoredHares View Post
                                  I wear a Tipperary. The ride lite is very affordable and comfortable. I had a horse collapse under me several years ago, and if I had not had a vest on, my injuries would have been much worse since he rolled on me. The only injury I got was a shattered collarbone, but there is no way to protect that
                                  like other posters, it does help me to be more relaxed since I feel 'protected'.
                                  Thanks for the report on the Ride Lite. Because of my above mentioned fears about giving myself heat stroke this summer in my Outlyne, I have looked at the Ride Lite thinking that it might be cooler, but I was concerned about it maybe being too "lite." Based on your experience, it sounds like it is effective in spite of being lighter.
                                  "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                                  that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by PletchersMom View Post
                                    I have a Casel Equi vest. ...

Try some on and see what fits you best though. I got mine at Equine Affair and had it adjusted every time since, thru the company and they have been most accommodating too.
                                    Does the company have a website or any contact info, anywhere? I've been looking for one of these vests and because I'm a strange size, I'd like to talk directly to the company first.

How is a Casel Equi in the heat?

I have an Airowear but it has turned out to not be a comfortable option for me.
                                    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Dubarry, there are lots of good brands, most of which meet the ATSM safety standards. Make sure any vest you are interested in does. You will need to decide if you want just a regular vest or if you want to supplement it with a air-canister type--supposedly safer, but very expensive.

The brands fit differently and offer different options. The Aerowear Outlyne is designed for women, but I am very flat-chested and short, so I went with the Racesafe that I could get in an extra-small and extra-short version. I have to admit I like the fact that jockeys wear this one. Other popular vests are made by Tipperary, Rodney Powell, Charles Owen, and others. Ideally, you can visit a shop with several brands and try them on. Note that a lot of them have options like an extended back to cover the tailbone or extended shoulder pads. Some come in colors. (I chose basic black.)

I recommend doing a forum search. There are many threads about safety vests, especially on the eventing forum.
                                      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

When I was taking lessons a few years ago I did. When I was younger I did not. Since getting older and being on blood thinners, I try to minimize the chance of injury. I plan on getting back to doing some low level jumping this year and will probably put the vest on for that even though my mare is been there done that. Adding that just this week one of the boarders took her kind of been there done that gelding out for a ride around the farm and went on a trail she hadn't tried before. Lovely grassy area between a pasture and a wooded boundary of the property. There is a house on the other side of the trees. The been there done that horse spooked at some dogs barking and spun and flung her to the ground and she fractured her back.

Comment

I don't think you meant me Dewey I already wear a vest. I just don't understand why anyone would make fun of someone in a vest or helmet.

Comment

Working...
                                          X