• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

talk to me about what you feed your jumpers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• talk to me about what you feed your jumpers!

Would've posted over in Horse Care, but since this question is pretty specific to jumpers, I thought i'd try here first anyway, its a bit of a two part question:

First, tell me what you feed your jumper!(Hay, grain, supps, extras like oil, etc) Of any level, although i'm particularly interested in 4'+jumpers do to the amount of "energy"/maintenance needed. Why does feeding what you do work for your horse?

Second, I'm looking for a bit of advice on my mare's grain. She is one of those wild one day, quiet the next type warmbloods(she is 12). Always under control, but nevertheless....chestnut mares lol. So Currently she's eating:
    1 1/2 flake alfalfa
    2 flake grass
    1 lb lmf senior
    2 packet Platinum performance joint+hoof
    cocosoya oil (for the shiney)
    electrolyte

My concern with her is that as our show schedule approaches, I wonder if she might need a slightly 'hotter'/little more energy grain. When she is in very heavy work, she quiets down considerably, which is great! But this will be her heaviest show season to date(jumps the bigger jumpers..) She doesn't get much grain anyway and I'm not looking to switch up the amount...just to add a touch of oomph, if you know what I mean... Advice? Thanks!!!

Oh, i forgot to mention that all feed questions aside, darling mare gets regular maintenance, hock injections, legend on the monthly, back on track blanket etc
    Last edited by carolinagirl17; Apr. 2, 2013, 12:37 PM. Reason: forgot to add electrolyte!

My 18 year old TB gets:

3 quarts 12 percent sweet feed with added fat
    2 cups Purina Athlete
    Corta Flex joint supp
    1/2 cup Cocosoya oil
    5 flakes of alfalfa/timothy spread out over three feedings, plus a grass hay round bale in turnout.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Comment

My mare (although we are no where near your level!) gets 5-6 flakes of orchard mix hay a day, and then an alfalfa pellet/rice bran mixture as a carrier for her multi vitamin/amino acid/biotin supplements. Sometimes with a few ounces of fish oil. That is pretty much it-she does not get any kind of grain. She has been holding her weight very well and I vary amounts depending on the time of year and the amount of work we're doing.

I first might try just upping the amounts of food you're giving her now (namely the hay and oil). Based on what you're giving, she seems like she's an easy keeper. So I think as long as she is getting good nutrition (to assist in training and recovery), ample calories and holding her weight, she shouldn't have an issue performing.

Oh and LMF senior is a grain not a ration balancer, right? If it is, 1 lb isn't much. If she doesn't need the grain, maybe try switching to the RB to make sure she's getting adequate amounts of vits and minerals?

That being said, my trainer does like this stuff http://www.smartpakequine.com/red-cell-1527p.aspx for some extra oomph

Comment

Mine gets free choice T&A, 3 quarts of TC Senior, 3 quarts of TC Complete, More Muscle, UlcerGuard, Vit-e-Sel crumbles, cocasoya, and Horseshoer's Secret. He gets fed grain 2x a day (12 quarts total) with his supplements in his dinner. He'll go off the cocosoya in the summer and start getting extra electrolytes.

He's a 16hh TB, just turned 8, and is in heavy work/showing frequently. Definitely more of a hard keeper, but this regimen has been perfect for him.
        Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

I fed my old jumper:
          1 scoop Ultium
          1 scoop Legacy Join Pellets
          Paprika (for the shiny/color)
          Platinum (only during show season).

In the winter he got switched to:
          1 scoop Senior
          1 scoop Beet Pulp
          1 scoop Rice Bran
          Paprika
          1 scoop Legacy Joint.

He also got electorlites and four flakes of alfalfa a day. He was hard to keep weight on and VERY hot, but that feed seemed to balance him out very well. It was pricey but it worked!
          www.thetexasequestrian.com

Comment

Not doing the jumpers at that level yet, but this is what I feed mine:

Forage:
            -Free choice T&OG when inside.
            -Abundant grass for turnout. Hay is thrown out in paddock in winter months even though there is still grass available (just not as much).

Grain:
            -3lbs Blue Seal Performance LS 2x/day (12% Protein, 12% Fat, 20% Fiber, Low starch - 16%)
            -1cup Black oil sunflower seeds 2x/day (for the shinies)

Supplements:
            -Smartpak 1x/day:
            Smartdigest Ultra (comes w/ ColiCare insurance)
            10,000mg MSM pellets
            -Free choice Himalayan salt lick in stall

This is what he looks like on the above regimen http://i50.tinypic.com/5k3u4l.jpg
            Last edited by jlphilli; Apr. 7, 2013, 09:50 PM. Reason: Added picture
            Originally posted by rustbreeches
            [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Comment

10 year old TB gelding:

4lbs of ADM Seniorglo each day
              Free choice Timothy/Orchard round bales
              Ranitidine
              Magnesium

We are not jumping your level which is why I chose Seniorglo. Once he gets to that level I will switch to Powerglo. The ADM feeds are amazing. I'm a devoted convert after 90 days. They have alfalfa, stabilized rice bran and flax in them already so I was able to take him off the rice bran and alfalfa pellets he was on. Since being on the ADM, I haven't really needed any supplements. His weight is great, his coat is shinier than it has ever been and his feet are looking better.

My guy was on 9lbs of Buckeye Cadence and it flared up his ulcers and brought on hindgut acidosis. He didn't care for TC Complete or TC Senior. Lost weight on other SS brand feeds. I'm not a Purina fan as they aren't fixed formulas so I won't use them. The folks at ADM told me it would take 60-90 days to see a difference in my horse, however I saw a difference in 22 days. He wasn't bloated, his stool was well formed and no longer had a stinky yeast like smell, he wasn't being a glutton anymore either.

Comment

My Thoroughbred jumper's feed changes a lot depending on what she is doing, hay quality and such. She currently gets this in one feeding:

1 kg Purina Integri-T (13% fat, low in sugar)
                4 cups Masterfeeds Finishing Touch (18% fat, fatty acids)
                1/4 cup Vitamin B12 Crumble
                1/8 cup Selenium
                2-3 Carrots
                0.5 kg Beet pulp w/ extra water

She is given hay whenever she runs out, and a trace mineral salt block. Electrolytes are given on hot days only. And she gets a mint after every ride

Comment

If you only need to add a little umph as the week goes on and don't want to switch the day to day stuff what about adding a scoop of red cell or lixotinic? That way she's not so wild on her fresh days but you can keep the energy up as the week goes on and she gets quieter. We have some horses who live on it full time and I've had some horses who just get it at shows.

Comment

5yo Dutch WB/TB cross
                    17 h (so far)
                    Works 5x per week for about 45m-1h at a time, weather and life permitting. Jumps up to 3'3 ft once per week and normally a shorter/lower jump session once per week with the rest spent on ground work. (He's a big baby and we are trying to preserve his legs and teach him how to move his body all in the same direction at the same time.)

Per day he is fed:
                    4.5 qts beet pulp (no molasses)
                    4 qts Legends Performance Pellets (12% protein, 10% fat and 18% fiber, low carb/sugar)
                    1 flake alfalfa
                    Free choice coastal (round bale in field or 4flakes 2xper day in the stall
                    electrolytes (We're in FL)
                    garlic and apple cider vinegar (for the flies) - his food smells like pasta when it is all mixed, LOL!

We were on a (Legends 11) lower protein/fat feed until a few months ago when he had a growth spurt and I couldn't keep the weight on him. Stepped up to the Performance and he bulked up nicely, without getting hot, which was a problem I'd had about the time he entered his 4th year (feeling a little too fat and happy, I think). I recently bumped the BP up half a qt when he needed a little more weight and it did the trick without making him any hotter.

Although he can be lazy when he isn't feeling enthused about work, he certainly does not have an energy problem and revs up quickly when he realizes we are doing fun stuff (jumping) instead of horrible, stupid work (leg yields and collected canter.)

From everything I've read, if you want to give her juice/stamina without making her "high", you need to look for a feed with a higher protein and a lower sugar/carb. Just like for us, the protein gives them the stamina/muscle building without the "sugar High." That seems to be working for me so far.

Comment

My baby jumper eats 2 lbs of sweet with a half pound of a vitamin ration balancer he also gets 1 1/2 lbs of sweet for lunch, zyrtec for his allergies and 30 lbs of hay throughout the day.

Right now he's practically on maintenance while I'm finishing school but the plan once he's in hard work is to change his food. You might be looking for more protein or more fat for your horse. Do you notice her topline getting thin at all during the show season? If so it might be protein you're lacking if you just want a punch of energy and her muscle tone is solid then you might be looking for fat which will also help with the shiny just be sparing with it because it is pure energy but if you give them more energy than they can metabolize it is stored in the adipose tissue and if your warmblood is anything like mine it is easy to get them too fat. Good luck this season!

Comment

Both of my jumpers are on a grass roundbale and are outside on the pasture 24/7 so they can munch all day. When I'm at shows, my mare gets an extra .5-1pound of beet pulp because she's a stress case and tends to drop a bit of weight at shows. The amount of hay depends on the type of hay we buy at the shows but we just let them have hay all day so they can always be munching. Neither at this point have needed any extra grain or supplements but they are both very fit from being on the range and hiking around the hills.

Comment

My 14 year old TB, 16.3hh, built big, is on 7 lbs of Triple Crown Senior, Cool Calories, and Tri-Amino. He gets as much hay as he'll eat in a net at night, and is (usually, right now he's on stall rest for a fractured splint) out all day, with grass and a round bale.

This is his usual for 5X a week riding, brief schooling over fences about every other day, and one longer jump school. When he gets back into work and we begin competing again I will probably have to up his grain- he tends to shed pounds easily.

My coming 5 year old Dutch WB (1/4 TB) is ginormous (getting past 17.1hh), but needs a lot less than my TB. He gets about 5.5 lbs of TC Senior a day, as much hay as he wants in a net at night, and is out all day with grass and a round bale. He also gets worked 5X a week, with about half the jumping of my older guy. He's in great weight now, but as we start doing more intense stuff I may have to up his grain. He couldn't possibly eat more hay- he's a pig and routinely falls asleep standing up with his head in the round bale.
                          You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Comment

It depends on how big your flakes are, but my inclination would be to say that your horse could probably use more hay!

My jumper (doing 1.15 hopefully 1.20 this year) gets about 3/4 of a medium sized bale of alfalfa/grass mix a day, plus two scoops (guesstimate of about 6lbs) of a high fat grain, about 1/2 cup of flax, and a out 1/8 of a cup of a mineral supplement, a probiotic and oil to stick all the powder together so be eats it . Oh, and lots of carrots

ETA He is a 16.2 9 year old Dutch Warmblood.
                            Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
                            Like us on Facebook!

Comment

I have a 16.2 7 year old Zangershied stallion first year showing in the 1.20m this year. We determined he is a fat burner so we upped his fat intake like crazy recently and the improvement in his work is amazing. He is getting worked 6-7 days a week of around and hour a day. Jumped as needed at least once a week hard flat work and treadmill on non-jumping days. This guy is FIT!
                              Am: 2flakes grass hay, 1 big feed scoop approximate 3 lbs triumph 14%, 5oz equine kompeet(supplement) 1/2 cup canola oil.
                              Noon: 2 flakes alfalfa
                              Pm: 2 flakes grass, 2lbs beet pulp 1/2 cup oil.
                              Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Comment

Working...
                              X