• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Has anyone experienced lower leg injury or pain while riding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone experienced lower leg injury or pain while riding?

Hi! I tried searching the forum but "tendon injury" summons up horse legs. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced pain in the tendon or ligament which runs up the outside of the lower leg, only on one side, while riding with jumping-length stirrups? It has been happening to me for about 6 months (i've ridden for about 20 years), and I gave it a month off in December and it came back immediately when I started riding again. If I ride without stirrups its fine, and if I lengthen my stirrups two holes its a little bit of relief, so it has to do in some way with the iron. I tried different placements of my foot in the iron to no avail. In my lesson yesterday I could barely make it around the rail one lap before I had to drop my right stirrup. My left leg is perfectly pain free, that's what makes this so confusing. I'm planning on consulting a sports therapist, but I thought I would check here first to see if anyone else has experienced this, or how you explain a jumping related riding injury to a physician. Thanks!

It could possibly be your stirrups. A lot of people love the Royal Rider stirrups if they have had an injury, and recommend them if they've had a past injury. I have this pair of stirrups, I'll post a link. They are black, and composite I think. They have a wider footbed thats padded.I replaced my MDC ultimates with these. I bought these since I had an injury with my ankle (broken growth plate and fracture, I'm 15.) and haven't had a problem! Reasonable price too! You can also try the Jen stirrups, they are soo comfy and well worth the money! Sorry if this didnt help your question!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/composi...fmj045qeihg3uw

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, I haven't tried any different irons but that could be a part of this. I'll have to see if anyone I know has some I can try.

Comment

They are definitely worth a try, they have helped me so much, are comfy, support me more, and are a great deal. Good luck!

Comment

I've had the same problem, and it turned out to be tendonitis. I had to take 3 months off, and no and then it occasionally flares up, but I work through it. You first of all want to make sure you're wearing boots and chaps or tall boots that make it the most comfortable. I had to change from half chaps with elastic in them, to full leather half chaps, which weren't stretching on my tendon. Before riding, I stretch that leg out for 5 minutes, by putting down my heal on the fence and touching my toes. Also make sure you're putting your weight in the stirrup in the ball of the foot and actually on the stirrup iron, instead of the heel, which not only makes you unstable, but was the actual cause of my tendon injury (in conjunction with 5 days a week 2 hour ballet and modern classes and 2 days a week lacrosse). Your foot should also always be placed with the stirrup correctly with the outside branch of the stirrup closer to your pinky and the inside closer to the ball of your foot. Lastly, if you have jointed stirrups, I suggest you get rid of them, they actually only worsen a tendon injury because you're moving it more often. They help with bad knees because it gives you flexibility, but you don't want your tendon contracting and extending so often. I personally just put these pads on my stirrups: http://www.smartpakequine.com/super-...x?cm_vc=Search and it seemed to help a lot. I feel like a wider foot bed and composite stirrup would help you too, but make sure not to get any kind that bends. I haven't personally gotten them yet, because I'm waiting for RR to come out with a silver version for the eq. I also ice my leg after particularly hard lessons or rides.
          Mendokuse

Comment

I had this off and on for years. The best relief was to elevate the outside of the stirrup footbed. So the outside is higher than the inside. I used a shim of cardboard and wrapped it with vetwrap. I this the outside was about 1/2 inch and tapered down from there. Turns out the problem was actually in my hip. Bodies are so weird!

Comment

I had an issue that sounds similar. It is called Chronic Compartment Syndrome. You should look it up and see if you fit those symptoms.

Comment

Similar to this, I was going to suggest to make sure you're not rolling your ankle out. I use to have a habit of riding on the very outside of my foot and it put a lot of strain on the outside of the ankle. For me, I just really focused on keeping my foot really flat, but the whole "raise the outside" would've helped too. I just needed to retrain my foot. Good luck!

Originally posted by LibertyRun View Post
                I had this off and on for years. The best relief was to elevate the outside of the stirrup footbed. So the outside is higher than the inside. I used a shim of cardboard and wrapped it with vetwrap. I this the outside was about 1/2 inch and tapered down from there. Turns out the problem was actually in my hip. Bodies are so weird!
                "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JBCool View Post
                  Similar to this, I was going to suggest to make sure you're not rolling your ankle out. I use to have a habit of riding on the very outside of my foot and it put a lot of strain on the outside of the ankle. For me, I just really focused on keeping my foot really flat, but the whole "raise the outside" would've helped too. I just needed to retrain my foot. Good luck!

This sounds like what is probably happening, I'm so relieved! I did a quick google search and found some wedged stirrup pads for 5 bucks, I think i'm going to get them and if they provide some relief I'll begin re-training how I distribute my weight in the iron. I think those wide iron stirrups are a great idea too. Thanks so much for the help, this forum is such a good resource!

Comment

I had soemthing similar, it finally got so bad I went to a podiatrist. Pain was around my outside ankle bone, and shot up the side of my leg. He eventually ordered an MRI after we could not get the swelling down with a combo of aggressive icing and anti-inflammatories. Turns out I had a longitudinal tear of my peroneus brevis, just below/around my ankle bone. Since I had a history of multiple nasty sprains after playing basketball in high school and college, and never really taking care of it (way back when, you just taped it, iced it, and played anyway), it was likely due to these older issues, but the riding seems to have aggravated it. I do tend to ride with my stirrups pretty short.

I am now just over 5 months into rehabbing it. I took a full 3 1/2 months off - almost no walking, riding only without stirrups, wrapping it, icing when needed, and anti-inflammatories. I gave myself my stirrups back only 4 weeks ago (? or maybe 5), and I lengthened them so I was constantly reaching for them. I shortened them one hole last week (what a relief that was!) I continue to wrap and ice regularly. No more meds, been off those for a while now. We're just starting to jump bigger, because I was protecting it so much I was afraid to put a lot of pressure - the whole sinking into my heels thing didn't feel great. I continue to cautiously push the envelope, so to speak, but back off whenever it hurts. So i have seen slow and (in hindsight only) very steady progress since the first couple of weeks off. I have started on the elliptical at the gym, but only a little bit a couple of times a week. I feel a little like an out-of-shape slug, but I'm coming back slowly.

I would go to a doctor and get it checked out. It could be any of a number of problems, some of which would require professional attention.

Oh, and the doc wasn't even sure rest would help it. If it had not, he would have gone in surgically to repair the tendon. I really did not want to deal with surgery, thank goodness it seems to be slowly healing. They expect full healing to take up to a year

Comment

Working...
                    X