• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Concealing Past Injuries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
    I think this is very common because very few people ultrasound during a prepurchase.
    Jesus H.....

Just a spin-off: Has anyone entertained including ultrasound examinations of This or That in a PPE? If so, which parts would you do? And the "Jesus H.... " part: the additional cost!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by starlight View Post
      Is it dishonest to never disclose these types of injuries...yes, but since it's not law, there is no way to enforce it.
      For no good reason, I believe this isn't quite true: The seller is obligated to disclose an injury *that the buyer asks about*.

ETA: MuddyHalter says so. I footnote MuddyHalter as my authority.

Other qualified folks: Are we right?

If so, it's caveat emptor... which looks like a long, long list of questions.
      The armchair saddler
      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
        Jesus H.....

Just a spin-off: Has anyone entertained including ultrasound examinations of This or That in a PPE? If so, which parts would you do? And the "Jesus H.... " part: the additional cost!
        I've had an ultrasound done on a horse that I was doing a PPE on...and passed on the horse based on what my vet found. I had another that I did buy. (both were front leg issues) It is typically done when you find something and want to know whether it is really an issue or not. For me, one horse was going to be more of a risk than I was willing to take and the other one showed that it wasn't going to be a problem (and it wasn't). I've known of several sale horses that it was done on...especially UL event horses selling for the high dollar. It actually isn't all that expensive but it really depends on your vet and their expertise. My vet has a machine with them all the time. On my own horses, we often will do a base line ultrasound of their front legs at least. It helps you to know their normal and catch things early before there is a significant issue.
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

If I ever buy another horse, I will either vet the absolute snot out of it (including ultrasounds of pretty much everything below the knees/hocks, or I won't bother vetting at all. I think the average prepurchase is pretty useless, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
            If I ever buy another horse, I will either vet the absolute snot out of it (including ultrasounds of pretty much everything below the knees/hocks, or I won't bother vetting at all. I think the average prepurchase is pretty useless, honestly.
            Don't forget to do stifles.
            "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
            Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
              I was just astounded recently when we were vetting out an inexpensive QH mare for a client of mine who would do low-level lessons and pleasure riding. The vet checked for NOT only "nerving" scars on the pasterns, but COLIC SURGERY scar on the midline! I said, Holy Crow, do people try to pass that stuff OFF??!

She said, "Every Day."
              I looked at a horse once and asked the owner if he had any prior injuries, lameness or illness. She told me that he had a bad abcess the year before but otherwise never had any problems. The horse's trainer was there when I was doing the prepurchase, but not the owner. The vet felt his stomach and said I think this is a scar from colic surgery. I asked the trainer if the horse had ever had colic surgery. He said he didn't know; he'd have to call the owner. He came back and told us that yes, apparently he did have colic surgery a year and a half prior. Funny how the owner remembered the abcess but 'forgot' the surgery! Also funny that I found out later that the trainer was the one who trailered the horse to the clinic for the surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by silvermar View Post
                I looked at a horse once and asked the owner if he had any prior injuries, lameness or illness. She told me that he had a bad abcess the year before but otherwise never had any problems. The horse's trainer was there when I was doing the prepurchase, but not the owner. The vet felt his stomach and said I think this is a scar from colic surgery. I asked the trainer if the horse had ever had colic surgery. He said he didn't know; he'd have to call the owner. He came back and told us that yes, apparently he did have colic surgery a year and a half prior. Funny how the owner remembered the abcess but 'forgot' the surgery! Also funny that I found out later that the trainer was the one who trailered the horse to the clinic for the surgery.
                Yikes... Guess colic surgery is so common these days that the trainer clearly just forgot about it, or something.

Comment

For no good reason, I believe this isn't quite true: The seller is obligated to disclose an injury *that the buyer asks about*.

Unless they manage to get the buyer to sign an "as is" document...

I asked a seller about a three month old colt I was looking to buy noticing the mare had HUGE melanomas, and asked if the colt was born okay without problems of the melanomas.. to my face this woman said everything was perfect.

After buying colt he had to have wobbler fusion surgery... and found out by other boarders and staff that horse was born very small because the seller "starved" the mare so the foal would be born small to pass through the melanomas. Sellers vet told seller the horse or the foal would not make it. Foal would not stand for four days after birth and the mare was sent to the killer pens by the seller. Yeah, no problems lady. I ended up loosing the colt... but it was sad that no one would stand up to this seller. But good thing is this seller/trainer has developed a bad reputation over the years.

Horse traders are out there and best thing to do is know who you are purchasing from that have a good reputation or good references in the industry.

I had another horse that owner didn't disclose when I asked if horse had any issues I needed to be aware of, she forgot to tell me the horse was NERVED. I would still have purchased him because it was more of a companion horse anyway but it would have been nice if she just told me for the horses sake.
                  Live in the sunshine.
                  Swim in the sea.
                  Drink the wild air.

Comment

Jesus H.....

I have heard of people doing a full-body scintigraphy on a horse as part of a pre-purchase which is way more pricey than an ultrasound.
                    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Peggy View Post
                      I have heard of people doing a full-body scintigraphy on a horse as part of a pre-purchase which is way more pricey than an ultrasound.

Probably a good resource and worth the $1,500 price tag for a $$$$$ horse
                      Live in the sunshine.
                      Swim in the sea.
                      Drink the wild air.

Comment

Jesus H.....

I have. The horse has a little thickening in his ankle so I had it ultrasounded.
                        Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
                        Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

While, I totally agree there should be full disclosure by all parties to a sale, I do not agree with other people chiming in on the medical information of a sale horse.

I am very open about my horses, their injuries and surgeries because I would only sell with full disclosure. That being said, I can't tell you how many people are wrong about what has been wrong. I had a horse that hurt his hock. Two differnt people on two different occaisons asked me how is knee was doing .

Also, most outsiders are not privy to all of the vet information and treatment, protocols and prognosis information that has been discussed with the vet.
                          Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
                          Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

Here's an honest question - is there a time limit? If the injury occurred 1 year ago, 5 years ago, more? Is every single thing supposed to be disclosed? Only serious injuries? Do you tell a prospective buyer about abscesses? Minor bumps, bruises, etc, etc.

Reputation is everything and people who knowingly sell an injured horse are being stupid about it since yes, it usually comes up at some point and once your reputation is gone, that's it.

But on the same notion, it's not the seller's obligation to disclose every single little thing, if they even remember it (and honestly, in big barns, you probably won't remember that Dobbin got dinged up in turnout 2 years ago and required 2 weeks off).
                            Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ranchopampa or our website at www.ranchopampa.com

Comment

So far I have been pretty lucky (knock on wood) with sellers being honest to me about a horse I am buying. I did have an interesting situation with a pony I leased out. They were reluctant to release their vet records of my pony to me when the lease ended. It was very concerning to us but there ended up being nothing unusual on them anyways.
                              When buying a horse, I want to know major stuff. (little stuff would be nice too though..never can know too much!) I want to know about lameness, colic, ulcers, anything that I could be proactive about if I were to buy the horse still. If they hide it, they are not being fair to the horse, because it could be something prevented by the new owner.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RockinHorse View Post
                                While, I totally agree there should be full disclosure by all parties to a sale, I do not agree with other people chiming in on the medical information of a sale horse.

I am very open about my horses, their injuries and surgeries because I would only sell with full disclosure. That being said, I can't tell you how many people are wrong about what has been wrong. I had a horse that hurt his hock. Two differnt people on two different occaisons asked me how is knee was doing .

Also, most outsiders are not privy to all of the vet information and treatment, protocols and prognosis information that has been discussed with the vet.
                                Just to clarify a few things: the buyer's trainer called me and asked me for information about the horse. I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer. The answer I gave WAS correct. No one, not even the seller, asserts that the information was incorrect. The issue that the seller (apparently) has is that they were trying to conceal the injury in question, and I disclosed it.

Second, the buyer learned this same information from multiple sources other than me. I won't go into details, but this injury wasn't exactly the best kept secret in the world, which is why it honestly never even occurred to me that it would not have been disclosed. It wasn't some kind of horrific, catastrophic thing, either. It was the type of injury most people would consider notable but it wasn't necessarily career limiting depending on how it healed (which is information I do not have, of course).

Third, the buyers actually didn't even care about the injury once they learned of it. They passed on the horse for reasons completely unrelated to the injury.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ladybugsbw View Post
                                  If they hide it, they are not being fair to the horse, because it could be something prevented by the new owner.
                                  I completely agree with this. People hide this stuff because they are selfish. They want to sell the horse for what it would be worth if the injury had never happened. In the end, it is really the horse that loses.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinHorse View Post

This is pretty much my approach as well. I am happy to turn over vet records, the horse's history, etc when I sell one. The last horse I sold went to someone who had had a few bad experiences, and did the longest, most thorough vetting I've ever seen... including a full cervical series. She spent $$$$$ on it (and yes, included ultrasound, which I thought was interesting.) The horse vetted out fine and the buyer now has an excellent baseline of the horse's health to compare him to in future years, which I think is pretty smart.

Like mvp, I was raised to stay out of other people's veterinary matters and am always surprised how many people seem to feel free to consider themselves welcome to participate in other owner's discussions with their vets. I've actually asked people "to excuse us," when I am talking to my vet, not because I have anything to hide, but because I feel like it's none of their d*mn business!! And that's on matters with my personal horse(s)...not sales animals, so it's not driven out of any economic concern. I just feel like those conversations should be private, not fodder for barn discussion/gossip.

While I understand why buyers will sometimes try to get information about a horse they are considering from parties unrelated to the transaction... I personally don't feel comfortable participating in those types of conversations. If I think it's a nice horse, I'll certainly say so, but that is about as far as I will go.

For the record, it's not a matter of trying to hide anything; I just figure that since I am not involved in the horse's day to day care and certainly haven't been a party to any conversations with the treating professionals... I really don't "know" anything for sure - and thus have nothing really useful to share. So many times I've seen/heard things about other people's horses that turn out not to be true, or were thought to be true at one point, but then (usually after more diagnostics or whatever) end up being something else entirely.
                                    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

A lady in my area that fancies herself a trainer was given a horse back which she sold years prior. She was lame, and unsafe for riding at this point. She was never really safe but the new owner kept her. Circumstances changed, and the trainer agreed to take the mare back because she wanted to use her as a broodmare.

A month later the horse shows up on ad sights with a pricetag of $5000. No mention of the horses past injury, claiming to be a good horse for the hunter jumpers. Well, the old owner of the horse saw this and was just livid. She gave her the horse thinking she would have a permanent retirement home, when now she was being sold lame and unsafe.

She took it upon herself to blast all the horses lameness issues all over the trainers FB page and shame her for trying to sell a lame, unsafe horse. Was a sort of justice I guess!
                                      Fillys By Vibank - 2017 Road to RRP
                                      https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

double post
                                        Fillys By Vibank - 2017 Road to RRP
                                        https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, Lucassb, I certainly do not get involved in other people's discussions with their vets, and any information I have came directly FROM THE OWNER of the horse. And, actually, I said a lot of nice things about the horse as well. Nice enough things that the people ended up taking the horse on trial even knowing about the injury. But the horse didn't work out for completely unrelated reasons.

The next time someone asks me anything about a horse I know, I'm simply going to say that I won't discuss the horse at all. I personally think that makes things sound even MORE nefarious than simply speaking honestly about the things that are pretty widely known about the horse, but that's what I'm going to do from now on. Screw it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X