• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How long do your bridles last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My oldest bridle is a non-padded fancy stitched Rodrigo. I bought it used over 10 years ago and until last year it was my main show bridle. It is now just a schooling bridle and still looks great. Out of all my bridles even the new ones it is still by far my fav the leather is just so so soft.

Comment

Considering I've only owned two horses, my two oldest bridles (and matching martingales) are 11 and 7 years old. One is a Northrun Bridle and one is an Edgewood. Both were used as schooling and show bridles. The northrun is looking a little old bc of mistreatment by a leasee (shame on me for sending my horses show clothes and tack with him...should've known better), but my edgewood is impeccable besides the fancy stitching poking out in one place.

I have a Bobby's dressage bridle now as well, but its only 1.5 years old.

Comment

My oldest is raised fancy stitched Crosby bridle I bought almost 20 years ago. It's still going strong. I have a Wellington from 13 years ago that still looks show worthy, even though i used it everyday.

However, I have a Beval's Heritage that was only used less then a dozen times and it is falling apart. Stitching coming undone, leather wearing and tearing at all stress points. Never again...
        Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
        Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
        "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
        I love my Dublin-ator

Comment

My bridles range from a year old to 15 years old, all are in great condition still. The oldest one I have was a cheap $20 made in India bridle, still going strong as a schooling bridle. My newer ones and show bridles are from Smartpak and I expect that they will last many more years.

Comment

My Crosby ( before they were crap) is from the 80's. it beautiful and broken in and my bridle of choice.
            Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

My double square raised New Calvary bridle was bought in 1990 so that makes it 23 yrs. old. Its my only bridle, its well used and cleaned after every ride and I loff it to pieces!
              Last edited by Outfxed; Mar. 27, 2013, 06:05 AM. Reason: I suck at math!
              Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Comment

Well, since everyone is posting about how long their bridles have lasted, let me go the other way. I had a cheapie Suffolk bridle which I assume was made in India. I broke one of the pieces at 2 1/2 years. But then, I was not good about oiling my tack back then. The second one I had I used for 4 years without anything breaking, but got tired of the stiffness of the leather and laid it aside.
                Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by poltroon View Post

But, OP, that doesn't mean you can't buy a new bridle if that's what you want.
                  That is exactly the kind of enabling I am looking for Now on to decide which one...

I do plan on keeping my old one, as I've said, and judging by the other responses I hope it'll remain a good schooling bridle for years to come.

Comment

I have an Edgewood that's about 7 years old, used every day. Last year it started to show its age for reasons unknown (my best guess is that last summer's whacko weather with bizarre atmospheric conditions and crazy humidity took its toll on it- it certainly did on my skin.) Also some various parts that are between 7 and 10 years. My cheapo backup bridle is probably about that old and looks lousy, but it did when I bought it used, too.

I have pieces of tack that I refinished that are probably at least 20 years old, judging by the construction.

Though it's not a bridle, I'm going to throw my mother's chaps up here for contention of a runner-up age prize. I won't tell you how old they are, because that would also tell you how old my mother is, and you know about asking ladies their age. Not quite up to MGP's and Janet's bridles. But she got them when she was 13 or so, and not only are they still in great condition, but she still fits in them.

OP, you always have room in your trunk for another bridle. (I'm contemplating a new one myself to save wear and tear on the Edgewood, and leaving that one for best; but I only horse show about 5 times a year, so what's the point? I will live vicariously through you if you buy another one. Enable her, everybody!)
                    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                    Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Finzean View Post
                      If you invest in really good strap goods and take good care of them, barring breakage from accidents, they usually last a LONG time.

My flat hunting bridle is 30+ years old. I've got a plain raised that is 20 yrs. old; a fancy stitched that is 18 yrs old.

There were several really nice bridles I sold b/c they went out of style...anyone remember the braided browband & caveson look? or the whole rolled trend?
                      I remember the rolled ones, in my area it was 1973 that I first saw them. I have an el cheapo braided cavesson and browband, made out of genuine plastic and sewn over the leather, the leather is fine, bought that one used 7 years ago.
                      Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                      Incredible Invisible

Comment

I got my first bridle for ~$50 from Crawford Saddlery in VA. That was 15 years ago, and it still looks great. You don't have to spent $300 on a bridle for it to last, you just have to know good quality leather (I didn't at the time but my mother did!) and how to take care of it.
                        "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                        "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by altjaeger View Post
                          Well, since everyone is posting about how long their bridles have lasted, let me go the other way. I had a cheapie Suffolk bridle which I assume was made in India. I broke one of the pieces at 2 1/2 years. But then, I was not good about oiling my tack back then. The second one I had I used for 4 years without anything breaking, but got tired of the stiffness of the leather and laid it aside.
                          Quality pays when it comes to leather. Those bridles are, imho, total junk and not worth even the cheapo purchase price.
                          ~Veronica
                          "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                          http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Really OP, go ahead and get a new bridle! I'd actually like to get one out of the UK catalog Loopy posted. I remember that my first instructor had the red and white browbands on her tack, she brought it with her from England. Very nice stuff back then and hopefully now as well.(my India made bridle got used hard and really beat up. I broke the buckles they were that cheap.)
                            Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                            Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by Renn/aissance View Post
                              But she got them when she was 13 or so, and not only are they still in great condition, but she still fits in them.
                              wow, thank you for reminding me why I don't need a donut this morning. That is amazing!

Rolled bridles are still "in" if you have an arab, but that's the only place I've seen them recently (something about 'needing to show off how refined and delicate their heads are' ).

Comment

If this one a rolled bridle? Because OMG I covet it. Sadly though, it looks nicer on horses with a finer head than my dude (looks stunning on a little warmblood mare in our barn)!

http://69.64.67.120/products/202-her...ay-bridle.aspx
                                Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Comment

If you buy good leather and take care of it the bridle should outlive the horse. Possibly even the rider.

I have an English leather bridle, still useable, that is probably 38 years old. Even my daily use bridle (mostly Stubben) is almost 20 years old (well, parts of it, it is also a Frankenstein bridle)

OTOH, I bought a Kieffer dressage bridle a few years ago and the leather of the noseband just gave way! Kieffer promptly replaced it and I think there just happened to be a flaw in the leather but still, someone should have noticed the flaw and not used that piece of hide.

Comment

Originally posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
                                    My Crosby ( before they were crap) is from the 80's. it beautiful and broken in and my bridle of choice.

Mine too, bought in the late 80s and still in use. It was beautiful up until a few years ago, its now "on loan" to a friend's daughter, whose pony wears it and she doesn't clean it too often, but when I do it cleans up nicely. Good quality strap goods last almost indefinitely with good care. I am a firm believer that you can never have too many bridles though, so OP don't let us stop you from buying a new bridle, its fun to have options.

Comment

Originally posted by eclipse View Post
                                      If this one a rolled bridle? Because OMG I covet it. Sadly though, it looks nicer on horses with a finer head than my dude (looks stunning on a little warmblood mare in our barn)!

http://69.64.67.120/products/202-her...ay-bridle.aspx
                                      Not really, all the pieces are rolled, the entire head stall, cheek pieces, crown, browband, etc. I can remember when they were the ultimate fancy bridle, I am glad they are no longer popular.

Comment

Originally posted by eclipse View Post

Whenever I've had a bridle break (generally from me going over the head) I will save the good pieces and then compile them into one new bridle (as long as they all seem to match) and I then use that one as my spare.
                                        I don't even care if the pieces match! They're called frankenbridles for a reason!

Comment

Originally posted by BAC View Post
                                          Not really, all the pieces are rolled, the entire head stall, cheek pieces, crown, browband, etc. I can remember when they were the ultimate fancy bridle, I am glad they are no longer popular.
                                          Yes, I never could quite bring myself to consider getting one though they were, as you say, "the ultimate fancy bridle."

Here's a pic:

http://www.tackwholesale.com/rolled-...eup2-2888.html
                                          I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Working...
                                          X