• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Amateur Status Protest Filed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to a show a few years back that a far drive but close enough to haul in. Since I was traveling a distance alone, I had one of my dogs with me as Copilot. He's quiet, either crated when I'm not there or in my tack room in my trailer. I came back from the ring and the people in the trailer next to me were VERY upset they were almost attacked by my dog... When they OPENED my tack room to "borrow" my hoof polish! " you shouldn't have a dog like that at a horse show"
    "You would not have known I HAD a dog at the show if you had not gone in my tack room!!!!"
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

wow Pennywell that really takes the cake!

that is brass balls for sure. Good for your loyal dog.
      _\\]
      -- * > hoopoe
      Procrastinate NOW
      Introverted Since 1957

Comment

I just want to say good for you. We all know horse communities are very small and for as many comments denouncing your actions you are receiving, I can assure you there are probably just as many cheering you on, albeit silently

Hang in there. Doing the right thing isn't always the easy thing to do!

Comment

Originally posted by RockinHorse View Post
          Just being a barn owner or manager does not make you a pro, however, riding your clients horses while being an owner or manager does.
          The rule changed this year.
          In most cases there must be pay involved the word AND was added in many cases.
          There are many barn managers showing horses for free that belong to the farm they run. Protests have not stood up. A lot of the Barn Managers are armed with letters from USEF saying they are legal.

Comment

Originally posted by S A McKee View Post
            The rule changed this year.
            In most cases there must be pay involved the word AND was added in many cases.
            There are many barn managers showing horses for free that belong to the farm they run. Protests have not stood up. A lot of the Barn Managers are armed with letters from USEF saying they are legal.
            Not sure what you are referring to. The following is still in the rule book:

[QUOTE] Accepts remuneration AND acts as an employee in a position such as a groom,
            farrier, bookkeeper, veterinarian or barn manager AND instructs, rides, drives
            shows, trains or schools horses that are owned, boardedor trained by his employer,
            any member of his employer’s family, or a business inwhich his employer
            has an ownership interest.
            [/QUOTE]

This is from GR1306 in the 2013 rulebook. I am not sure how that makes it okay for a paid barn manager to ride horses boarded at their place of employment. I don't see where it states the remuneration must be specifically for the riding. If that is the case, I guess my trainer will just become a barn manager and be an amatuer.

Since I don't know the facts and circumstances presented to USEF by all those people that have "letters" saying they are okay, I can not comment. I would, however, be surprised if a paid barn manager was given a pass by USEF if they spent part of their time teaching, schooling and showing for clients.
            Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
            Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

Good for you for doing this.. I know someone that has been showing as an Amateur and now is teaching, has their own farm. So i am waiting to see if they show as an Amateur this coming year. She just does leadline, but I think that is just the same as teaching in general. Can't teach and take money and still show as an Amateur not even at the local level I think..

Comment

I want to see one of these "letters" as I find the existence hard to believe. Anyone have one?

Comment

Good For You OP!
                  ~ Bill Rube ~
                  http://www.bydesignfarm.com
                  Check us out on Facebook

Comment

Cheating sucks! You did the rght thing. I am waiting for a certain trainer in my area to be jusdging a show series and have her regular kids be brought to the show by someone else. I am planning to make a big deal of it. It has qualifying classes for state and region finals too, so .....

Cheating pisses me off! Good for you!!!
                    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Comment

Kudos to you for having the guts to stand on your principles, and shame on the people giving you grief for doing so.

Just curious, what ARE the penalties for the professional that shows in amateur classes, and if there is a trainer who knowingly condones this and signs their entry as the trainer, what is the penalty for that trainer?
                      Me&MyBigGirl
                      My Blog: A Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by abv1269 View Post
                        Kudos to you for having the guts to stand on your principles, and shame on the people giving you grief for doing so.

Just curious, what ARE the penalties for the professional that shows in amateur classes, and if there is a trainer who knowingly condones this and signs their entry as the trainer, what is the penalty for that trainer?
                        In my case... The shamateur lost her amateur status. The trainer who signed and the shamateur were fined I think $500 each. The horses lost their ribbons and prize money (if any) from the shows involved in the protest. And they were both suspended for 90 days (of course, timed perfectly during winter so they didn't miss any shows <rolleyes>).

Comment

Good for you, OP! It's hard to be the one to take a stand, and I am sorry that you are being given a hard time for doing so. My grandmother always used to say "Chin up!" during rough times...simple advice, but the best advice.

If you are getting nasty emails or messages from people you don't really know, just ignore them. Don't even respond. Delete them and forget about them. Replying - no matter how just your reply may be - just continues the discussion. Ignore them and move on. Enjoy your horse, stick to the people who are supporting you, and chin up!
                          "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Comment

I haven't read this thread before now, but I just wanted to give you, OP, a pat on the back!

This happens all too often and I know a girl in my area, ironically used to be a girl I rode with back a few years ago, that owns a barn now, trains, gives lessons and still enters the ammy classes with her mare.
                            She doesn't show in our area and rather goes to larger cities nearby but if she did show locally, I would be doing the same as you.

It is funny though, every one complains about something or other but they don't want to stick their neck out and confront the person to try and address the problem.
                            Then, when someone is ballsy enough to do what we all were thinking, they get hounded. People are very much stuck in 'pack' mentality and think it is a weakness to be singled out.

Absolutely absurd if you ask me but this is horse world and can be pretty cut throat at times. Good on you, I wish more people would take your example. I am an avid supporter!
                            http://dotstreamming.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have great admiration for you OP, too many people just look the other way. Anyone that criticizes you just needs to be told you won't condone cheating, and the people who are harassing you should be ashamed. I wish more people had your courage.

Comment

OP, when you say you filed under an "ALTER" do you mean under a different name? If so, it's very disturbing that the person you reported knows who reported them. There are riders in my area in H/J and eventing who blatantly break the rules and compete as amateurs and it goes on year after year. I figure everybody is too scared to report them for the exact reasons you are experiencing. How sad that there is peer pressure to turn a blind eye to breaking the rules. Guess I am a believer that the rules are to be followed...ALL of the rules, not just the ones that are to our personal taste. And yet just watch the warm up ring at Thermal to see all the dressage whips being used (and ignored by the stewards), or comment on a photo of a rider at an A show without a helmet and half the people on facebook jump down your throat that it's okay for them to break the rules. Since when does the exhibitor get to choose which rules to follow? Anyhow, done with the rant, sorry you are in this position!

Comment

I am not trying to start a argument on amateur status as a I accept rules are rules and so be it. I just find it sad that some horse crazy young adult that is trying to ride a bit better and probably can't even afford a horse gets dragged into a being a pro because she accepts a few bucks to sit on someone's horse. Even it she has sat behind a desk for 12 hours for a big corporation And then someone else who has never worked in the real world (or horse world) but has mega daddy bucks is an amateur. It's so easy to understand why there are so many "pros" who really should not be pros at all. I have no real beef - just think it is sad. And yes yes these are choices I know etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dinah-do View Post
                                    ?......some horse crazy young adult that is trying to ride a bit better and probably can't even afford a horse gets dragged into a being a pro because she accepts a few bucks to sit on someone's horse. Even it she has sat behind a desk for 12 hours for a big corporation And then someone else who has never worked in the real world (or horse world) but has mega daddy bucks is an amateur. It's so easy to understand why there are so many "pros" who really should not be pros at all.
                                    The USEF definition of a "pro" has no correlation to ability. There are good and bad pros in this industry, as there are in others. There are amateurs that can ride circles around any of the top Professionals and are ammies because they never sit on anyone else's horse. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by eaconlee View Post
                                      OP, when you say you filed under an "ALTER" do you mean under a different name? If so, it's very disturbing that the person you reported knows who reported them. There are riders in my area in H/J and eventing who blatantly break the rules and compete as amateurs and it goes on year after year. I figure everybody is too scared to report them for the exact reasons you are experiencing. How sad that there is peer pressure to turn a blind eye to breaking the rules. Guess I am a believer that the rules are to be followed...ALL of the rules, not just the ones that are to our personal taste. And yet just watch the warm up ring at Thermal to see all the dressage whips being used (and ignored by the stewards), or comment on a photo of a rider at an A show without a helmet and half the people on facebook jump down your throat that it's okay for them to break the rules. Since when does the exhibitor get to choose which rules to follow? Anyhow, done with the rant, sorry you are in this position!
                                      She meant she's on here with an alter. You have to file the USESf with your name etc. right to face your accuser and all...
                                      Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Working...
                                      X