• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Amateur Status Protest Filed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullying is wrong- and like previously stated, people get 'louder' to cover their crimes and to draw attention away from the truth. I'm sorry you are struggling with this but I also appreciate you standing up for what is right. A good friend told me that all pioneers have arrows in their backs...chin up- we support you!! Integrity is sorely lacking in today's society and it is very refreshing to hear of situations like yours where people still have it!

Comment

Thank you OP for standing up for the rules. I'm sorry that you have to take such lumps for it.
      F O.B
      Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
      Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

Originally posted by S A McKee View Post
        Before you say that someone is a pro an understanding of the rules is helpful.
        Running a board facility does not make you a pro.
        Exercising horses for pay is something else but how do you know the barn owner was getting paid?
        The rules changed this year. 'AND renumeration' is now in play.
        Well, considering I forwarded all the information, including my boarding contract and all the attached paperwork (that clearly outlined the breakdown of the BM's fees and there were no other "trainers" working at the barn) to USEF, and they responded that to me that according to all the information provided, she should be showing as a professional, then that's good enough for me. Additionally, I have several "newsletter" or "barn update" type of emails from her offering these services.

Oh, and it's "remuneration." If you're going accuse me of being wrong, then please at least get the spelling correct. The reason I know she got paid is because I saw other boarders hand her checks for longing/lunging or riding their horses for her when they weren't able to or they told me that they paid her for those services.
        "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

Before you say that someone is a pro an understanding of the rules is helpful.
          Running a board facility does not make you a pro.
          Exercising horses for pay is something else but how do you know the barn owner was getting paid?
          The rules changed this year. 'AND renumeration' is now in play.
          Wouldn't being the BO (or related to the BO) & being paid board while riding a boarder's horse make you a pro? At least that is how I understood that poster's comment.

I do agree that many people don't even have any idea of the ammy rules yet they are always complaining that somebody is cheating. I am on a local unrated show board & we get letters "protesting" people with what I swear are made up rules (we follow USEF). Like if the ammy rider schools themself in the schooling ring then they must be a pro was a recent protest.

OP--hang in there. Hopefully more people will start turning in the rule breakers if they see others doing it.
          "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Comment

Hang in there, the storm will pass.

But I do undestand...there are some well known denizens of the AA circuit I would not want to cross-kind of scary people. But this sounds like garden variety enjoying being paid for efforts while openly showing as an ammy. Not something going on out behind the barn where only grooms and braiders and others depending on the offender for a livelyhood dwell in the wee small hours of the morning or in a curtained groom stall.

If this is as blatent as it sounds you should be OK.

However, hate to say it but...watch your stuff at shows. Just don't leave it untended. BTDT and didn't even turn anybody in...I just won alot one year on the western circuit as a brand new kid on the block and suffered some kickback-krylon is hard to get off leather.

Its unfortunate we let the dregs drag us down to their level-chin up and carry on. You did the absolute right thing. We all need to step up more as well or it will never stop.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
              Hang in there, the storm will pass.

But I do undestand...there are some well known denizens of the AA circuit I would not want to cross-kind of scary people. But this sounds like garden variety enjoying being paid for efforts while openly showing as an ammy. Not something going on out behind the barn where only grooms and braiders and others depending on the offender for a livelyhood dwell in the wee small hours of the morning or in a curtained groom stall.

If this is as blatent as it sounds you should be OK.

However, hate to say it but...watch your stuff at shows. Just don't leave it untended. BTDT and didn't even turn anybody in...I just won alot one year on the western circuit as a brand new kid on the block and suffered some kickback-krylon is hard to get off leather.

Its unfortunate we let the dregs drag us down to their level-chin up and carry on. You did the absolute right thing. We all need to step up more as well or it will never stop.

Well said....

And good heads up on watching your things... jealousy and hate can bring out some gawd awful behavior in humans.

When this type of stuff happens I think - even in the movies and days of long ago there were always the GOOD GUYS and the BAD GUYS
              Live in the sunshine.
              Swim in the sea.
              Drink the wild air.

Comment

Originally posted by Giddy-up View Post
                Wouldn't being the BO (or related to the BO) & being paid board while riding a boarder's horse make you a pro? At least that is how I understood that poster's comment.

I do agree that many people don't even have any idea of the ammy rules yet they are always complaining that somebody is cheating. I am on a local unrated show board & we get letters "protesting" people with what I swear are made up rules (we follow USEF). Like if the ammy rider schools themself in the schooling ring then they must be a pro was a recent protest.

OP--hang in there. Hopefully more people will start turning in the rule breakers if they see others doing it.
                no it does not.
                Being a Barn Owner or Manager is specifically excluded in the rules.

Comment

no it does not.
                  Being a Barn Owner or Manager is specifically excluded in the rules.
                  Just being a barn owner or manager does not make you a pro, however, riding your clients horses while being an owner or manager does.
                  Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
                  Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you, thank you everyone! I am going to print out all these posts and carry a copy in my car so I can read them when I go into an intimidating situation. You guys are a godsend.

I will keep you posted as the case moves along and let you know what happens.

Comment

Curious question 14Hands, are the friends you feel bad for putting in the middle upset about being in the middle or standing strong with you up against the people who are making a scene?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                        Curious question 14Hands, are the friends you feel bad for putting in the middle upset about being in the middle or standing strong with you up against the people who are making a scene?
                        The friends are not upset about being put in the middle but are (especially my trainer) personalities who are very uncomfortable in any situation that reeks with conflict. They have told me good for you for filing the protest but is is not something that they would feel comfortable doing.

Comment

It sounds like you have their support though. Remember that when the idiots are on attack.

Comment

Watch your horse at shows too. If people can't get to your things they will go after your horse. I had one friend whose horse had several inches of mane roached off in the middle and another friend whose horse had the tail (hair) banged to almost the dock. Both happened in the middle of the night.

Comment

Originally posted by Giddy-up View Post
                              Wouldn't being the BO (or related to the BO) & being paid board while riding a boarder's horse make you a pro? .
                              Yes,

Being a Barn Owner, or Manger, or being related to one, is fine. You can still be an amateur.

But the moment you swing a leg over a boarder's horse you stop being an amateur.

Think what a big loophole it would be if that were not the case.
                              Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Barn owners are not pros, but they cannot do the following section GR1306:

4. Professional based on one’s own activities. Unless expressly permitted above, a person is a professional if after his 18th birthday he does any of the following:
                                f. Rides, drives or shows any horse that a cohabitant or family member or a cohabitant or family member’s business receives remuneration for boarding, training, riding, driving or showing.

Kind of interesting they expanded it to cohabitant...I think that is relatively new. I think previously it just said family member.

Comment

I'd save the FB messages & postings and email copies to USEF. Let them know the impact that sharing your identity with the accused has had on you. Maybe they could amend the protest rules to include specific limitations on contacting the protest filer outside of the hearing process? If the hearing process is supposed to mirror the legal process, shouldn't they attempt to support the same rules against witness tampering & intimidation?

As far as local showing in April, get an understanding of the relationships between the show management, the shamateur and her boss. If there are strong personal connections, I'd pass and save for the next AA. I agree that you shouldn't have to miss a show because someone else did something wrong, but if you spend the whole time worrying about the safety of your horse, someone damaging your tack and don't feel like show management will be supportive- then how much fun will you have? It's too much money to show when you won't enjoy it just to make a point.

Comment

I recently attended a lovely A show up North in the tristate area - nice courses, nice footing, well run.

The Steward sat in the office the whole time. Never once made an appearance in the schooling ring. We could have been jumping offsets all day long with no hard hats. Nobody did but the question remains - Why do the exhibitors have to police themselves?? And the answer is. . . because the shows hire the stewards. The job of the steward should be to enforce the rules of the USEF not read novels and do crosswords all day long. USEF should be hiring and assigning the stewards and the stewards should be enforcing all the rules, including amateur violations, horse welfare, etc etc.

We shouldnt be forced into ratting each other out for amateur violations, oversize ponies, etc etc. Stewards should be proactive. I pay plenty to the USEF. . .
                                    Dina
                                    www.olddominionsaddlery.com
                                    http://www.facebook.com/olddominionsaddlery Like us on Facebook!!

Comment

Originally posted by DancingArabian View Post
                                      Watch your horse at shows too. If people can't get to your things they will go after your horse. I had one friend whose horse had several inches of mane roached off in the middle and another friend whose horse had the tail (hair) banged to almost the dock. Both happened in the middle of the night.
                                      Ditto this. had a friend who had 2 horses on the grounds - both ended up w/o tails...mane was left alone, though.

Comment

Just commenting on the mane/ tail attacks, people can be so petty!

My mare DOES NOT take kindly to strangers in her stall. Would like to be a fly on the wall for one of those types of attacks her hair. Me thinks the person with scissors/ clippers/ whatever would lose

Comment

Chiming in to say good for you, and thank you from another ammie rider! The rules are inexistence to be followed, not broken. I can't stand it when some people think the rules don't apply to them.

I'm sure it will blow over soon. What a shame that the honest person is made to feel bad about it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X