• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Do's and Don't of Trainers and Other Profressionals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Do's and Don't of Trainers and Other Profressionals

After reading the many Do's and Don't's of Riders, what are the DO's and DONT's of trainers, barn owners and other professionals?

What have professionals done that was unprofessional, unethical, unsafe, etc?

My biggest peeve with many trainers I have been associated with is letting others ride the clients horses, without the knowledge and permission of the client. You would think this is a no-brainer, but it seems to happen a lot.

Any other situations out there?
    Last edited by PonyPenny; Mar. 25, 2013, 03:44 PM.

Do NOT ace your clients horses before their lessons without their consent!!! (Yes, I saw a trainer do this multiple times....)
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

DO - treat your clients horses like they are your own and you care about them very much. This to me has been a big deal. I am an ammy that loves her horses like children and knowing they are in the best place with amazing care makes me feel SOOO much better.

When my horse recently got sick from vaccines they had cameras on him, had the vet send photos of him feeling better and kept me updated via phone, text messages and email. It was so reassuring.

DON'T - treat your client like they are stupid and incapable of caring for their horses. (knew a trainer that kept all her clients bullied into thinking they were nothing without her).
      Live in the sunshine.
      Swim in the sea.
      Drink the wild air.

Comment

Do not change my horse's type of feed or amount of feed or the time he is fed without notifying me. I would like to know what/when/how much he is eating. If you think he needs more/less food please discuss it with me first. My guy is a little chubby and as much as he tried to tell you he's starving he really is perfectly fine with almost no grain...he eats grass all day. He is also very food motivated and it helps me to know approximately when feeding time is (it moved by over 3 hours...I totally understand the time can vary by an hour or so) so I can avoid riding at that time. (I have had all 3 of these things happen in the last few months so I may be a little more annoyed with it then normal)

Comment

I forgot to add please don't treat me like I am stupid because I am young. I grew up at a large show barn and have been exposed to a lot of different medical emergencies and problems. I have been caring for horses since I was 15, owned since 20. I hate when someone tells me that the only thing I should clean my horse's cut with is whatever product they like the best or if they won't explain something to me because they assume I don't have any experience with whatever cut/stone bruise/rain rot/whatever it is.... I have not had this problem at large barns but at a few small barns it was the owners way of the highway even if it really wasn't any of their business. I am completly open to suggestions as long as they are suggestions and I can still make my decision.

Comment

Don't tell me he's getting extra hay if you're not giving it to him and I'm paying for it.

Don't tell me Adequan is a useless herb when my vet of choice gives it. Then the following week tell me that all your jumpers get Adequan because it's so great. Yeah, don't forget your lies or I just may have to move my horse. Oh yeah, I did.

The same idiot... Don't let your feeder tell me my horse won't get (your cheap) grain because it's raining.

Don't tell me sheath cleaning needs to be done by the vet when your trainer will tell me next week how good my guy was when she cleaned him.

Don't bill me for shoes every 6 weeks when the farrier hasn't come.

Don't give me paperwork from the dentist showing X charge when my bill shows about double.

Don't try to convince me not to get a PPE on a horse I'm buying from you. And don't try to convince me I can't get my own vet when yours hasn't given me test results for 3 weeks. Or when your vet lives 2 hours away on a good day.

Oh wait, do. Because then I'll move. And did.
            Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

It's funny - despite having pretty much all good things to say about every trainer in my past, it's easier to come up with don'ts! Because I've been so lucky and loved them, I'll try to come up with DOs.

Do ask your students' goals and help them with those goals in mind
              Do help kindly temper your students' goals if they are unrealistic for whatever reason
              Do treat all your students with respect and focus on them during the time they pay for
              Do NOT pick favorites to the detriment of others (on the other hand, I think picking favorites without the detriment of others can be fine - help the student you think can make it to the top of whichever horse sport get there by keeping an eye out for opportunities, giving extra hard work to help get there, etc. - when I've had trainers do that for others it hasn't bothered me)
              Do return phone calls/text messages/emails - whatever your preferred method of communication
              Do remember this is a business for you and treat it as such
              Do communicate clearly if there is a problem you don't know how to fix, or if the situation is one in which you no longer want to play a role
              Do explain in as many ways as you can come up with if a student doesn't get something and is trying to do what you want
              Do encourage riding with others whose teaching can add to your program (to the point current trainer encouraged a friend to take fewer lessons with him to ride with a clinician he thought would help, despite the fact it meant less money for him)
              If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
              -meupatdoes

Comment

DO send me my monthly invoice in a timely fashion. I count on paying it with my bills, and getting it 2 weeks late makes things complicated for me.

DO organize fun events like a "jumper day" in the middle of winter when everyone is getting bored in the indoor arena. People will happily pay for a fun barn-bonding kind of thing when it is well-organized and you have put some effort in.

DO tell the owner if their horse is causing problems in the barn and/or for your staff. As one of those staff, we would love the owner to pass along tips & tricks if they have any that would help.

Comment

Do not use my fees/board/etc. to subsidize other riders, unless you are doing so out of your pocket.

Do not let other people ride my horse without my knowledge.

Do realize that people have jobs and commitments outside of the barn and may not be able to always accommodate your schedule.

Do not turn the barn into party central after hours (complete with alcohol, ATV, dirt bikes, etc.), terrorizing the horses - I had a trainer that did this.

Do not tell me you are schooling my horse and actually have someone else school him.

Do not use my tack and equipment for lessons because your tack is lost, dirty, or missing.

Do not lend out my tack to your friends.

DO NOT LIE TO ME when I ask you a question.

Comment

- Don't charge me for a stall then leave my horse out 24/7 to save bedding and stall cleaning time.
                    - Don't charge me for training, and put a student on my horse to hack it for you.
                    - Don't criticize the equipment I've chosen for my horse that is good quality, in good repair, and well fitted, because it's not "in vogue."
                    - Just bill me. Don't make me tell you to leave my horse in, etc if the farrier is coming-- just put her on the schedule and let me get on with my day. I'm good for it.

I hate places that won't leave the horse in unless you've left a check, but then don't tell you when the guy is coming. I'm not going to leave a paper link to my checking account just lying around indefinitely.

See these all the time. Drives me nuts.
                    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Originally posted by soloudinhere View Post
                      - Don't charge me for a stall then leave my horse out 24/7 to save bedding and stall cleaning time.
                      - Don't charge me for training, and put a student on my horse to hack it for you.
                      - Don't criticize the equipment I've chosen for my horse that is good quality, in good repair, and well fitted, because it's not "in vogue."
                      - Just bill me. Don't make me tell you to leave my horse in, etc if the farrier is coming-- just put her on the schedule and let me get on with my day. I'm good for it.

I hate places that won't leave the horse in unless you've left a check, but then don't tell you when the guy is coming. I'm not going to leave a paper link to my checking account just lying around indefinitely.

See these all the time. Drives me nuts.
                      Even better, ask that you leave cash around for the farrier. If the cash goes missing, whose problem is it?

Comment

Do not lie, cheat, or steal.

So simple.
                        "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
                        Rainy
                        Stash

Comment

Be professional in all interactions. Be diplomatic. Be honest. Be positive. Communicate well. Respect your clients AND their horses. Respond promptly to phone/text/emails. Don't cheat or use shortcuts. Don't steal and/or borrow without asking. Treat your clients like the paying customers they are. Appreciate that most of your clients have exhausting, full-time jobs that allow them pay for this $$$$ hobby.

Pretty much.
                          Originally posted by rustbreeches
                          [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Comment

(some of mine are repeats)

DO NOT tell me my saddle/tack is crap. I just went through that with a tack store, I went in to try some saddles, they asked me what I had, I said an older Schleese (C/C) that didn't fit the new horse. And I got treated to a chorus of hmmmmms and haaaaas and a nice little lecture about why 'we' don't buy Schleeses. I happen to own a 16yo JES in fantastic condition that I loved, just didn't fit the current horse. Then he tried to sell me an overpriced Crosby without a trial. Um, no.

DO encourage me. Push me. Teach me. I used to have a trainer who literally had zero positive reinforcement. The horse I rode then was one of hers, a very tricky TB. If we'd finish a course, and rode it toally awesome except for one corner that lead to a rail down, she would fixate on the rail and not tell me about the rest of the course. In the end I just left because instead of teaching and critiquing, I just felt critised and scrutinized. Much happier now.

DON'T lie to me. I call your BS out, honey.

DON'T let lesson students, etc ride my horse unless I say so. I don't want to come home from a vacation to see photos on Facebook of my horse at a show with one of your students.

DON'T tell me that I need a new horse. Horse > trainer.

DO properly care for my horse

DO stick to the contract

DO use my blankets correctly. I don't invest so much money into them, so that he can go out in a light fleece cooler

DON'T use/lend my tack! I don't want Suzy Q to come tell me about how she's buying a CWD/Antares/Delgrange/whatever after trying mine, thanks to our trainer!

DON'T change my horses feed without consulting me. Just don't.

DO have your clients/stable hands/grooms if you're lucky clean up their horse's poop in the aisle!

DO respect me, my horse, and my tack, and I'll respect you, your barn, and your teaching.

Comment

DON'T talk poorly about a client to other clients. They will hear about what you've said. I've been in a situation like this and it was miserable...

Comment

Originally posted by stargzng386 View Post
                                Do not change my horse's type of feed or amount of feed or the time he is fed without notifying me. I would like to know what/when/how much he is eating. If you think he needs more/less food please discuss it with me first. My guy is a little chubby and as much as he tried to tell you he's starving he really is perfectly fine with almost no grain...he eats grass all day. He is also very food motivated and it helps me to know approximately when feeding time is (it moved by over 3 hours...I totally understand the time can vary by an hour or so) so I can avoid riding at that time. (I have had all 3 of these things happen in the last few months so I may be a little more annoyed with it then normal)
                                Yea this one really pisses me off. I had a trainer feed up my horse at a horse show with a type of feed that makes her really up. Really pissed me off because the trainer knew I didnt want her fed this food. Of all the times in the world I don't want anyone messing with my horses at a horse show.
                                You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Comment

Annnnddd...

Don't try to convince me to get rid of my horse just so I can buy one from you! They're not actually disposable, y'know!!
                                  Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

Do not fish in other people's ponds.....
                                    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                                    carolprudm

Comment

1. Be professional in all situations.
                                      2. Be honest
                                      3. Treat your CUSTOMERS as customers.
                                      4. Do what you say your going to do.

Comment

If something happens that is less than positive with my horse, please don't text me. Please pick up the phone and talk me through it. So many things can be made so much smaller over the phone or waiting (if you can) to talk in person.

Comment

Working...
                                        X