• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Jumper barns in the San Francisco area? - moving, looking for suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

KateKat, I'll be moving to Millbrae specifically - for now at least. I'm just out of college and looking for a job, my dad lives there so it's a place to live rent-free until I can get a job. I'll extend my job search to beyond SF, though!

MovingWest, I'm on the plane to SF right now, I will let you know!

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. I will be checking out some places in the east bay - most aren't too far, and it does look like they have more of what I'm looking for.

Comment

If you are living in Millbrae and are working in SF or the peninsula, the commute to the east bay would not be a very fun one in the evenings.....

At one point I even worked/boarded in the east bay and even though it was only 15 miles, it would take me almost 45 minutes and that was opposite commute! On the flip side, the barns are a little cheaper and you do have more options for longer turnout, larger paddocks, etc.

Originally posted by Mayelix View Post
      KateKat, I'll be moving to Millbrae specifically - for now at least. I'm just out of college and looking for a job, my dad lives there so it's a place to live rent-free until I can get a job. I'll extend my job search to beyond SF, though!

MovingWest, I'm on the plane to SF right now, I will let you know!

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. I will be checking out some places in the east bay - most aren't too far, and it does look like they have more of what I'm looking for.

Comment

At any barn with top trainer(s), expect to pay around $1,000 and up for boarding alone. Most places do 2 hours turnout in a small paddock.

You could look into boarding on pasture board at CTETA (The Horse Park At Woodside) and then work with one of the trainers there----they have Willow Tree, which is an excellent jumping barn. And it's huge, has a gallop track, cross-country fences, etc. I don't know what board is there these days, but it sounds like it might be the best option for you without you having to try to manage the East Bay.

Comment

Good luck! I'm moving to CA this July; specifically, Woodland which is just north of Sacramento. My horses are currently on night turnout, which I LOVE, so hoping to find somewhere that can accommodate.

Comment

In the Woodland area you probably have a decent chance of finding turnout.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              At any barn with top trainer(s), expect to pay around $1,000 and up for boarding alone. Most places do 2 hours turnout in a small paddock.

You could look into boarding on pasture board at CTETA (The Horse Park At Woodside) and then work with one of the trainers there----they have Willow Tree, which is an excellent jumping barn. And it's huge, has a gallop track, cross-country fences, etc. I don't know what board is there these days, but it sounds like it might be the best option for you without you having to try to manage the East Bay.
              That sounds great... how does boarding work there? Do you board at the individual barn (Willow Tree) or do you board at The Horse Park?

These big facilities with multiple trainers are way different than what I'm used to, so sorry if I sound clueless!

Comment

• Original Poster

Also - anyone have experience with Clermont Equestrian?

Comment

That sounds great... how does boarding work there? Do you board at the individual barn (Willow Tree) or do you board at The Horse Park?

These big facilities with multiple trainers are way different than what I'm used to, so sorry if I sound clueless!
                  Pasture board is through the Horse Park, I believe stall board is only with the individual barns. Stalls in Willow Tree's barn were $950/month through the Horse Park (special case when my trainer's stalls were full), not sure if Willow Tree charges a different amount.

Comment

Usually in the big multiple trainer facilities, you write a check for board to the facility, which covers hay and stall cleaning and a stall, and then you write a separate check to the trainer for lessons and other services, including things like blanketing or fly masks, feeding supplements, turnout, etc. Sometimes there is also a charge for a share of a tack or feed room, parking a trailer, extra or different hay, etc. Make sure when you are price comparing that you are asking about all the typical services/charges for that barn, and what services are included. I frequently found that places where board was apparently less actually cost more by the time you added all the a la carte elements.
                    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

This is what I do, and I LOVE it! The added bonus is there are a lot of schooling and rated shows there, so you won't have to leave the property. I am paying $470 for pasture.

I boarded at Stanford prior to moving to the Horsepark Pasture. Board there ranges from $800 to $1200 and turn out is done in 8 hour shifts, although it's on dirt.

If you end up in the South Bay, you can look at Red Fox Farm in Gilroy. They have pasture boarding options and stall paddock combos as well as turnout although it's only a few hours a day.

Also - anyone have experience with Clermont Equestrian?
                      Clermont seems to have a lot of turnover with boarders. Three friends of mine loved it at first but after no longer being the "new" boarder, things started to go bad. Everything from arena time to turn out began to be a hassle.

I was recently acquainted with someone who does board there now, and will ask her for an assessment. I know they always seem to offering boarding "deals" so they may still have difficulty keeping boarders.
                      Last edited by jenm; Apr. 10, 2013, 06:42 PM. Reason: added info
                      Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

Wide Square - there are not very many places with all day turnout on Woodland. There are plenty of places with small pastures you may turn your horse out in for a limited time (usually 20 min - 1 hour) I think Woodland Stallion Station has pasture board, and from what I hear the lady that took over HNR (now Sugarland Horse Park) offers to turn horses out for a fee.
                        Last edited by fourmares; Apr. 11, 2013, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• Original Poster

I just drove through the Horse Park, it's gorgeous. It was really easy to get to as well. It would be nice to be able to show on property. They said there was a wait list for pasture board, though and there would be no guarantee I'd have a spot when I moved -- did you have to wait Jenm? What is average for lesson prices from trainers there?

Comment

I just drove through the Horse Park, it's gorgeous. It was really easy to get to as well. It would be nice to be able to show on property. They said there was a wait list for pasture board, though and there would be no guarantee I'd have a spot when I moved -- did you have to wait Jenm? What is average for lesson prices from trainers there?
                            I think I was on the wait list for about six months. The good thing is that not everyone on the wait list can move in when their name comes up, so sometimes they go through the wait list quickly.

The average lesson rate for resident trainers is around $100.00. A new trainer just came in and is teaching but is not interested in having a "barn" and her rate is $55.00. There may be packages though, so it's worth looking into.

If you do decide to bring your horse, an option would be to pasture board at Webb Ranch until a spot opened up at the Horsepark. The barn/paddock area is nicknamed "Shanty Town", and if you go look, you will understand why! It's only one exit down from the HP and is next to the freeway, so also easy to get to.
                            Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                            http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                            http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

What are round bales? What's green pasture? Welcome to California!

I was driving through Lompoc the other day (massive ew!!) and commented on how they had acres and acres for the cows, but their horse pens were tiny, and looked like they were assembled by children.

Good luck OP!

Comment

Originally posted by WideSquareAlter View Post
                                Good luck! I'm moving to CA this July; specifically, Woodland which is just north of Sacramento. My horses are currently on night turnout, which I LOVE, so hoping to find somewhere that can accommodate.
                                Out here in the sac area you shouldn't have a problem finding that. Pasture is much more common, especially in Woodland which is relatively undeveloped.

Comment

I know someone who was an assistant at Clermont for a couple months and was not impressed...PM me if you want more specific details.

Comment

Another reason that pasture turnout is generally not available in California is that we do not get rain from about mid April until about November. Because of that the grass does not stay green unless it is irrigated. Water is an issue in CA, and most places it is prohibitively expensive.

Comment

could look into boarding on pasture board at CTETA (The Horse Park At Woodside) and then work with one of the trainers there----they have Willow Tree, which is an excellent jumping barn. And it's huge, has a gallop track, cross-country fences, etc. I don't know what board is there these days, but it sounds like it might be the best option for you without you having to try to manage the East Bay.
                                      Keep in mind the pasture is fenced with barbed wire, it is a large mixed sex group, and trees are the only shelter. Some hay is fed,no supplements.

I really wish they had safe fencing, I would love to pasture board there, but not behind barbed wire abutting a 50+mph road
                                      APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I live in San Mateo and board at canyon creek in half moon bay. My girl loves it there. I also was at Claremont previously and the major weather changes on top of the mountain were hard on my girl, but other horses did just fine. PM me if you want more info.

Comment

Originally posted by Appsolute View Post
                                          Keep in mind the pasture is fenced with barbed wire, it is a large mixed sex group, and trees are the only shelter. Some hay is fed,no supplements.

I really wish they had safe fencing, I would love to pasture board there, but not behind barbed wire abutting a 50+mph road
                                          This is what I tried to point out in an earlier post. Mixed herd pastures fenced w/barbed wire are an accident waiting to happen, especially when horses are coming and going out of the field constantly and new horses are being introduced.

Comment

Working...
                                          X