• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Should I buy this horse ? And if so, what is it worth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy this horse ? And if so, what is it worth?

A friend of mine is selling her mare and offered her to me at a good price. I always have some project horses that I play with and resale down the road. I'm on the fence with that one.
    Here are the stats :
    16.1H, 7YO, mare, very well bred WB, very well schooled on the flat, - limited showing, with a couple of clear rounds at 3'6 at A shows- schooling solid 4'3 courses at home, good technique, plenty of scope. Miles with a GP rider. Can take a joke.
    Now the catch is that she is looky on the flat. She will stop and look at stuff (chairs on the side of the ring, pile of jumps, drag ...), if you keep her busy with lateral work and transitions it's a non issue.
    Not really a good Eq prospect as she cracks her back pretty hard over fences. Has the power to move up to 4'6 down the road...

Should I pass or should I add to my herd and what would be the right price for a horse like that?

If you cannot use her, there is no "right price!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

She sounds lovely. Are you comfortable riding her? Have fun on her? Wouldn't mind if resale takes a long time (spooky is always a harder sell than easy)?

Price depends on too many variables to guess.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, I can ride her without any issues. I don't show in the jumpers, but I can play at home

Comment

• Original Poster

A/Less than $10k
          B/between $10k and $20k
          C/between $20k and $30k
          D/Over $30k

Comment

C in my Area is likely but could be more. Sounds nice
            Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Easily "D" here. If you have a use for her and would enjoy riding her, why not?

Comment

If you have the time, motivation and $ to take on another project horse, I think she sounds like a fabulous one. Regarding price, based on your description, if the horse lived in the part of the country that I do and was familiar with the A circuit shows, I can't imagine she would be offered for less than 30K. If you do get her, I wish you luck and who knows, you may find yourself transitioning to the jumpers! She sounds exciting.

Comment

A\ so where do I sign the papers?

Really, not less than 30k.
                  The horse is 7 and haven't shown much.
                  With time and good training, she can only improved!
                  ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                  I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                  HORSING mobile training app

Comment

If you don't show in the jumpers then just send her my way. In all seriousness, if you don't show in the jumpers what are your plans for this horse to get her resold? It sounds like what she needs now is exposure and mileage. If this is an investment horse and you have to pay someone to show her will you come out ahead? Sounds like a really nice horse and I agree with the others about pricing. Good luck!
                    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Comment

Definitely D around here!!!

Is she super nervous or can the "lookiness" be managed through exposure, mileage, regular work, turnout, etc? My mare is definitely looky but we're able to manage it. It's much worse in cold weather and when she's in irregular work. Maybe you're seeing her now at her most looky?

Regardless, as long as she's not psycho, D! She sounds nice!!
                      Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

D around here too. Is she a ride a pro might want?
                        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Photo?

Comment

I'm assuming she's sound and does not major health issues...soundness issues and major health issues would put me in the move on group for a fun, resale project.

Those things aside. As long as you don't mind her stopping (does she get better as she gets familiar with the object, are you comfortable working through it and not intimidated), she sounds like fun. Can I do "A" so I can take her? To be serious, she would likely go in the High C or D range here. Are you willing and able to put in the time and money as a project? Those are always factors to consider as well. Why I don't pick one price over the other is that every area is different and well same with "A" shows, but if she's got mileage in "A" shows in this area I'd say the high C end would be the conservative estimate.

Good luck in your decision!
                            Last edited by BellaFortuna; Mar. 22, 2013, 03:54 AM. Reason: Grammer!

Comment

Who was the person on COTH who said "He's a piece of junk! (quick! hide him on my trailer)"

Comment

That would be me, and ill be over to pick up the menace to society whenever the OP calls to spare the rest of the world the embarrassment.
                                www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                                chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Soooo, what are you going to do with her? Not understanding if you are going to put miles on her for resale or keep her at home to just play with- in which case 30k does not seem sensible unless you can easily do it.

Right now, she is a high ch/adult type and that market tends to favor one with more miles in the show ring to get the best price. If you want to resell and could get some Junior/AO Jumper miles AND market thru a trusted agent with a lot of contacts? You could triple that price down the road.

Right now? 15-30k depending on area, marketing skills/contacts and a PPE- that can go up with show miles pretty quick. So will either growing out of or losing her quirks thru schooling.

A very wise man once advised "never do business with family and friends". IME, which is a lot, he was right.
                                  Last edited by findeight; Mar. 22, 2013, 09:16 AM.
                                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm not a jumper trainer, but I have a good network and sell a lot of horses.
                                    I asked about that one because she is not the type of projects I usually take on, I'm cheap and on a tight budget and can't afford made horses.

I just wasn't sure if the fact that she can't double as an Eq horse was a big deal or not.
                                    Also, while she is safe (she has been ridden by a 12 year old junior without any plroblems), she has this annoying habit to stop and stare at stuff. I didn't know if it would be a deal breaker for people. The funny part is that she is very bold to the jumps (will go over liverpools and anything), but will have a mini meltdown to trot by the cavalettis on the side of the ring.

Anyway, I think I can improve the spookiness, I have done it a on couple.

Findeight, you are right, I thought the same thing, the C/A market is probably going to be out because of the lack of miles and maybe the flat issue.

Knowing that I'm looking at a project priced in the A bracket, I should pick up the phone and schedule a PPE.

And no, there are no shady things going on, it's just a case of being at the right place, at the right time. And I'm in a better location than the current seller too.

Comment

If you can get her in that A price range? Hitch up the trailer and Schedual the PPE. You don't sound like a novice so I'm comfortable with it.

Get her papers and keep the paperwork up to date Assuming she proves she is not nuts and improves with a little more age (7is young for some), she could be worth breeding.

ETA Ill take looky any day over stupid and careless. My good Hunter mare never stopped or landed in the middle of anything of got fooled by a back rail. But she would not walk past a chair at home that had been moved 3'.
                                      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I really think it depends on how much you can get her for.

In all honesty, most low jumper riders are amateurs/junior riders (meaning 3'6-4'3), assuming this is the height the horse will be marketed to. While there are some wonderful jr/ammy riders out there who dont mind a horse who has quirks I would assume many of them would rather NOT have a horse who stops and has meltdowns on the flat.

Would the horse be spooky at shows? Walking by golfcarts, garbage bins, children with bikes etc?

If you are able to get her super cheap and sell her cheap, then I would go for it - sounds like with some work and miles she could be a great jumper. However if you are looking to get what a normal 3'6-4'3 jumper would get the spookiness may put some buyers off to look for a more sane horse.

If it was me, I would buy if she was under $15,000. Put $5,000 work into her getting her shown and proving she can show at a higher level and then ask $30 (with a little wiggle room for negotiation) as that price still sounds like a "deal" to someone.

I personally wouldnt pay more than $30,000 for her as described as travelling around canada/usa there are plenty of horses with less drama issues at the same level in the 30,000 range.

Comment

Working...
                                        X