• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to get banned from COTH?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by up-at-5 View Post
    I miss Thomas1.
    Me too.

Comment

So...a little derail here...If you are banned, can't you just come back as an alter? What's to stop people from coming back over and over again? Forgive my ignorance, but I've been wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by showidaho View Post
        So...a little derail here...If you are banned, can't you just come back as an alter? What's to stop people from coming back over and over again? Forgive my ignorance, but I've been wondering.
        I think some people do that. Usually the ugly behavior that caused the first ban rears its ugly head again. The mods can also check the IP address to see if the alter originates from the same computer, I think.

Comment

Remember back in the day when the poop hit the fan with Erin?

Good times.
          Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

Originally posted by ybiaw View Post
            Remember back in the day when the poop hit the fan with Erin?

Good times.
            The proverbial poop hit the fan with Erin due to a myriad of reasons, but the begging Rob did via text to get her back was priceless. Erin was done with the drama and most of you have no idea just how invasive some members were - to the point that some called her house at all hours of the night and tried to argue their "side". It was truly insane.

As for the woman in question on this thread, it seems as though basic behavioral modification would do the trick - stop responding to her. Stop talking about her. In fact, stop going to her website. Just STOP.
            Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
            W. C. Fields

Comment

Well, after mildot got banned, someone came on coth who sounded just like him. So the mods were notified and the person was banned. So we presume he was mildot reincarnated. Or whatever is done from the other place like reincarnation.

And who was the poster who came on last year or so and posted very much like Thomas1? That poster was asked by many if he was Thomas1. And the poster disappeared.

I forget the name of the poster who came on as alter after she got banned on the driving forum. I saw where a lot of people outted her on threads, and that alter got banned. She was the one who fought with Thomas1 often over there on the driving forum. And I don't blame Thomas1 for being mad about donating money for an expensive sling and almost exactly a year later finding out that the rescue was soliciting cothers' money for a sling.

It's hard not to use the same phrases and terms and expressions when you are accustomed to doing so. While the poster-who-posted-like-Thomas1 didn't say he "could p*** down his leg," he did sound very much like Thomas. And I saw where he was banned over on another forum, someone sent me the link to that. Mane Street forum or something like that?

I'm not an internet expert, not even a little bit, so people tell me they can create an alter when banned, by using a different computer and therefore having a different IP address? But as they say, a leopard cannot change his spots, corny phrase, but a poster cannot change his/her manner and phrases and wording and way of posting.

Since the board is owned by a private company, there can be no successful law suit to be allowed to come back on the board. Sure anyone can file a lawsuit, but it can be dismissed. Oh, and coth could recoup its attorney's fees from anyone filing a specious lawsuit. And maybe punitive damages to boot. When we join coth, we agree to abide by the rules and regs of coth. And when we get warned, and don't follow the mods order to stop, we get demerits. I got a permanent demerit for posting about Doug Spinks after being warned. Permanent parole, LOL. But it was worth it.

I joined after the Erin fiasco. But equinellaw told me all about it and how people hounded Erin.

Comment

Could someone please PM me and explain what I've missed?
                Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Don't even need a PM. On Sat late nite or Sunday 3 threads were started by she who shall not be named and an apparent alter (same grammer, misspellings and style) that included responses by apparent house guests ( same grammar, misspellings and style).

Threads are still available to read, padlocked but not edited or made to go poof by the mods despite violating COTH etiquette and rules. Probably on page 2 by now as they slide down to where they belong.

Should said nameless person post again in anything other then a rational manner, many here will not respond so it quickly slides away.

That did lead to some fond memories of past banned posters and Erins departure.
                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

How to Get Banned- what should be the rules
                    1. Start/post hostile, long, far fetched threads (works best if done over and over, even after one has been warned or previously had threads locked).
                    2. Make an alter, or lots of them, preferably from multiple computers (this makes IP tracking a challenge! Like Where's Waldo!
                    3. When using your alters, vary your writing style- but try not to make the same spelling errors, this can clue COTH super sleuths in on your true identity.
                    4. Threaten to sue, a lot. For instance, in a different thread someone said they don't like chestnut mares with bling. That sounds like my mare, I think I shall sue.
                    5. Sic your lawyer on them (real or imaginary). But lawyer can never call!
                    6. Use your children as a shield to deflect your evil doings, they are traumAtized by other posters, not your own deeds!
                    7. Call people names, insult their intelligence etc. This is also effective to gain clients and win allies!!
                    8. Repeat steps 1-8. Your threads will go poof or get locked without comment. Don't despair!!! Eventually, one of the PTB (powers that be) will get so annoyed by all the reporting of your threads and your constant blathering- you MAY get banned! Keep at it!
                    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Originally posted by up-at-5 View Post
                      I miss Thomas1. Wasn't there some gal named Ambre that was banned as well?
                      Ambrey is a friend and I am still puzzled over why she was banned. And please don't try to explain because I really, really like her IRL and am happy to remain puzzled.

Egontoast was banned also, and for good cause. I don't know if she frequented the H/J forum, but look her up if you're curious.

Mildot scared me.
                      A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

Didn't that Caylei girl get banned too?
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                        Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

Little bit of COTH historical trivia:

Who was the first person (and the second and third, I think ) to be banned on COTH?

Hint: 5 letters, starts with a C.
                          "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

I missed all the good bannings,being a relative newbie. The only whackadoodle I was here for was mildot. But if I ever go ahead and have my mental break, I'm going to come on here as a bunch of alters and argue with myself about slaughter, PP, drugs, how we did things in my day and shamateurs. Then me and all the voices in my head will get banned!
                            Consider yourselves warned.
                            Originally posted by The Saddle
                            Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Helpus View Post

Who was the first person (and the second and third, I think ) to be banned on COTH?

Colin?

If so, I liked her and missed her when she was gone. And really thought she had a point with the final argument (as I remember it), but took it too far.

Comment

Colin of course! Unless I am confusing posters, I thought Thomas died?!
                                ~Veronica
                                "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                                  Colin of course! Unless I am confusing posters, I thought Thomas died?!
                                  No, I believe Thomas was banned.

I think there was a (pro-slaughter?) male poster who died suddenly a couple of years ago, but I'm blanking on the name. May have started with a C.

Somebody with a knack for it could do a crossword puzzle, complete with clues, of all the banned posters and their alters.

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post
                                    No, I believe Thomas was banned.

I think there was a (pro-slaughter?) male poster who died suddenly a couple of years ago, but I'm blanking on the name. May have started with a C.

Somebody with a knack for it could do a crossword puzzle, complete with clues, of all the banned posters and their alters.
                                    It was County who died....

I found Thomas amusing, mostly, then again I was never the target of his rants.... he was just... opinionated.

I remember when Colin got banned, gosh that was ages ago, when I had another username and I was still in college!

Cloudy, whatever happened to equinelaw? She was kind enough to send me some sample contracts once.
                                    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Helpus View Post

heh. Not to diminish Colin's achievements, but wasn't SuaveReno first to ride into the valley of the banned? I remember thinking, whoa! They can ban people!

Comment

Originally posted by 2bayboys View Post
                                        Wasn't there also some reference to an "infamous carrot incident"? The possibilities are endless.
                                        So bad
                                        Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

PS... re:Ambrey.... didn't realize she got banned, thought she just disappeared?
                                          We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

Working...
                                          X