• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Short Horses in the Hunter Ring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you like the horse? Buy her. BUT buy what you see at a price that reflects what you see. Not assuming she will grow 3" a d make the honest 3' lines and fences at a quality rated if that where you intend to aim her.

Bit of a reality check in what judges are using in today's AA ring- they want them almost walking the lines and if she needs to go more forward to open up the step? It hurts you in top competition.

I showed a 15.3 Adult Hunter AA and she did well enough moving forward to get the lines up until about 2007. Then we were outnumbered by those just loping the lines and dropped off the radar. It is what it is. I haven't seen much indication of anything changing in the classes I have been watching.

You know, I don't think there are any carded 15 handers in the A/Os, most of the smaller ones are 15.3. Likewise with the AAs.
    If OP realizes her trainer is right to have some doubts and the price is right? Maybe worth a shot to take a chance but be ready with plan B.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Go for it! I'm a little envious...at 6' tall I have to pay a premium for height. I wish I could shop in the under 16h department But yeah, concur with above...if a 14.1h pony can do the 3' and get the strides then no reason why the 15h horses can't. I like the point someone else made about the smaller ones making a more attractive jump at the lower heights.
      The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

Another vote for the smaller horses! My daughter's children's hunter is 15:1 on her tip toes - interesting - she is a Voltaire granddaugher ( by Forever KWPN ) .

No challenges making the lines - actually the opposite - can leave out a step when she gets rolling. If things go well this year the plan would be to do the small juniors next year.

Actually just contacted someone with a small Voltaire grand-daughter for sale.

I'm 5'1" - my daugher is 5'5" ( all legs ) and the size works for both of us.

Are you able to post pis? Would love to see her.

The fact that her height could most likely be attributed to her being a twin in a bonus - down the road she could have value as a broodmare.

Comment

short horse

Originally posted by RottiMom View Post
          She is by Voltaire frozen, and the mare is older but has KWPN papers (not sure what that means exactly, I think its a type of Dutch Warmblood?) Her breeding is wonderful for jumping, and I just am in heaven riding her gaits. She was a twin that was missed on initial exam in pregnancy, but the other twin reabsorbed within an acceptable timeframe. They feel this is why she is small, although she is very healthy.

I do attend WEF with my horses, although I have yet to work up the courage to actually show them myself And yes, she IS that nice. Just short haha!

Luckily I dont need to loose weight, I fear "rusty stirrup" rider is the best way to describe my age and just dont have the body I did when I was 20. I consider myself very fit for my age, Im just not that lean mean green-bean I once was. However, treadmill may have to come out from storage
          Since she is a WB, and a twin...she may grow. In that she is by Voltaire....I doubt if you will have trouble making the lines, especially if you say she has wonderful gaits.

Comment

One of my best hunters is a 15.3 Ottb !! Some of the bigger shows now even offer a small hunter division-requirement is to be under 15.3 I think! Also in my experience I think the lines feel easier if the jumps are up a little higher....it doesn't feel as forward and going like it does jumping over 2'6 or lower

I also wanted to add that my 15.3 horse has a bigger stride than one of my 17h horses

Comment

I would have two conditions on a horse that size 1) price is right and 2) QUIET brain. I emphasize the second because oncee you've made her up if she isn't going to make it as a 3' horse, smaller horses that are quiet and tolerant are marketable to the up to 2'6" crowd.

Comment

I have a coming 5yo, 15.2H Hungarian Warmblood that literally lopes the lines. We took her to the VHSA Finals and she left out a stride on the last line after an other-wise perfect trip! I purchased her to be my A/O Hunter (I'm only 5') and I wanted something that would win the hack and over fences. This filly does both...and has the BEST brain! We're toying around with the idea of selling her since I'm not going to be showing like I thought I was going to be able to. Honestly, I'm not doing a huge discount due to her height. She makes the strides better than many big horses and because she is a touch on the small side, jumps the heck out of the fences (yet has no problems schooling 3'6" plus). Take Jupiter for an example. He is on the smaller side, but is a "10" in every way.
                Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

Comment

Sounds like you have already made up your mind. Get her.

Comment

Good luck! My 15.1 mare does 3'6 with ease and makes the strides. She is not going hell bent either!
                    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

• Original Poster

So we put an offer in on her, pending a vet check. However there are apparently others also interested and they are taking offers until Monday night. Kind of feels like buying a house! I wonder if the sellers are using the "low price" to encourage higher bids. We shall see!!

Rode her again this morning, and perfection. I really like her. That barns trainer brought out a measuring stick and she stands just slightly over 15.1hh, she feels she would have no doubt in her mind that she will finish 15.2hh+.

Comment

My young one (2.5 right now) is barely 15hh, I think she will finish 15.1. She also has a huge step so Im not concerned. It will be a change from my other horses who are both over 16hh. Im actaully very much looking forward to a smaller ride! I plan do to with her whatever she wants, she is certainly fancy enough to be a hunter but if she wants to do jumpers whenn she's ready Im game for that too!

She is a voltaire grandaughter, must be something in the genes that runs small. At least they can jump! She has no problem clearing the 4'6" fence!!

Best of luck with your offer!

Comment

Please let us know what happens! And of course, post pics

Comment

I have a small hunter who I have to whoa down the lines with!!! My Voltaire granddaughter ( my other hunter) is huge however!!!

Comment

SMALL HORSES IN SHOW RING

Keep in mind large pony hunters (13.3-14.1) jump 3' courses and the distances are set for a 11-12 ft stride so there is no reason why your 15.2 hand horse couldn't do the 3' AA's.

One of the horses I ride is only 15.1 and when the fences are bigger the easier it is to make the strides. Since he is a smaller horse he is more impressed by the size of the jumps and actually jumps much tidier and more expressive then some of the 17 handers who just "step" over the fence. Also, he wins the hack a lot....

Years ago I rode a 15.2 hand paint who had a super jump and a huge stride, he won everywhere.

A good judge is looking for eight perfect jumps, seamless lead changes and a happy expression, regardless of the size of the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by iridebays View Post
                                Keep in mind large pony hunters (13.3-14.1) jump 3' courses and the distances are set for a 11-12 ft stride so there is no reason why your 15.2 hand horse couldn't do the 3' AA's.
                                I was speaking of the bigger AA shows where the 3' lines are set more at and honest 12' with some pushing 13' and they do not use the same course as the Ponies without ever moving the lines.

And many 13.2-14.2h Ponies can't make their lines either, that's why Division Ponies cost so much more.

If OP likes the mare here and she has added the info it sticks at 15.1? She'll probably be OK in all but the elite level competitions assuming she does not appear to be working harder then the bigger horses, especially in combinations.
                                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I'll echo everyone else who says it has everything to do with the size of her step.

I had a 15.1h mare who could lope the lines better than my 17h horses (though we did the jumpers with her, not the hunters). I had a kid take her to a show early in the year and told her to leave a stride out of an 8-stride line (dead on 8, set on a 12' step) in the jump-off of a 1.10m class. She did it in 5 without looking like she was galloping (though the jump out was an awfully long distance!). My mouth was hanging open when they crossed the finish line. That was the moment that I knew she wasn't going to have a problem at 1.40m

What was funny was the number of time I'd hear people at the back gate saying, "did you see that tiny mare do that in a 5? We must have walked it wrong...." Nope. Tiny mare had a massive step!

With that being said, she was definitely an exception to the rule. My 15.3h mare struggled big time over the big courses because her natural step was somewhere between a 10' and 11' stride. I think of that as a more normal expectation on a smaller horse. And as findeight pointed out, it can be an eye-opener to go to a big AA show and realize that a 13' line is a different beast than a line set at 11.5/12'. And not because the horses *can't* do it, but because they have to hustle a bit more to make it and that hustle can drop you out of the ribbons.

To the OP - good luck and please update with pics if you get her!

Comment

I agree that it all does have to do with stride. My 15.3 hunter has a large stride then my 16.3 hunter and she also has a huge jump. She has no problem with the lines at WEF and at local shows I struggle to not leave one out!

Comment

• Original Poster

Still waiting to hear if my offer was accepted. Not a patient person!

Comment

See the "Keeping with the the Kennedys" article in the Chronicle this week. Ebony is pictured over a 4ft oxer from the Derby finals and he's 15.2. Does the A/Os.

Comment

My mare is 15.1 and I'm 5'4. I prefer a smaller horse, closer to the ground My mare is on the short strided side but gets the strides if I push her without an issue. I'd never pass up a quality horse because of height, hope you get her!

Comment

Working...
                                          X