• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Update with pictures... The boot dilema! Help for the tall and skinny,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kalele View Post
    You may run into a problem due to your foot size. Someone with a seven foot who is tall/slim is easier to fit than someone with a size ten, since the calf size goes up with the shoe size (with off the shelf books that is). I'd go with custom or semi-custom boots...no reason to spend all of that money on something less than perfect.
    Yeah, that's exactly the problem I experience...the big foot. And, mine is "only" 9.5. Boot companies assume that as your foot gets bigger, your calf gets wider...apparently there are not enough ectomorphic types out there . It's either custom or "semi-custom"...the latter are just off the shelf boots that have to be special ordered, because they are an odd size. Walking into a tack store, or ordering online with instant shipping, with a big foot and a 13" calf just isn't going to happen. Ordering "semi-custom" and hoping for fast shipping or lucking out on ebay are the only real options short of waiting out the custom route.

Comment

Oh, and, you might want to try looking at men's boots. Men generally have thinner legs, for foot size, than women. The biggest difference is the shape of the calf muscle...men's calf muscles tend to be "higher up" on the leg and more bunched, with less "meat" down near the ankle, which might work for you.

Comment

The De Niros fit my scrawny long chicken calves with skinny ankles. I tried on the foot size 39, XXS calf, XX Tall height and they are the only stock boot I've tried that really fits.

The Tredstone Tuscany was too big in the ankle for me, although they probably would do for less money.

I currently wear the Beval Puissance, which really I should have gotten the tall height even though their size chart said I was regular height. I'm *never* regular height in boots. They are fine for what I'm showing though (have shown local/provincial levels in them).
        Last edited by SolarFlare; Mar. 8, 2013, 07:39 PM. Reason: TreadSTONE not Tredstep!
        I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

OP - i will trade calves with you. I would like a slimmer one and you can have my boots!

Comment

My daughter had three pairs of Monaco's in the 9 or 9.5 tall slim that fit pretty well - foot a little bigger than she needed, but had to go bigger in food to get extra height. This time she bought the Tredstep DaVinci from Smartpak and the size 40 ExtraSlim Tall ended up being great - 13" calf - http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctClassId=9484 . It's not as luxurious as Monaco, but half the price, broken in easily and has worn much better than the Monaco whose inner calf turned to shreds very quickly.

Comment

I second the Tredstep DaVinci or Donatellos! I have a super scrawny calf and only ever wore customs before but I did get a rack pair of the Donatellos in 40 extra slim (it was before they had talls in that model) for $250 and the calf & ankle are perfect. Height dropped to about a 1/2 inch too short for my taste, so the talls would've either been perfect or a touch high. DaVinci is the better quality of the same boot, but both are nice!

Comment

I bought the Tredstep Donatellos last fall in 8 slim calf/reg height because the Donatellos had yet to come out in the talls. I tried the DaVinci's but the foot wasn't as good a fit for me. The height just ended up being plain too short. With only about 7 rides on the boots I'm replacing them-their tall height will only be around 19" and I measure 19". I am trying the Middleburgs-their height is 19 1/2" for regular in size 8-I ordered them from Dover and they are in stock. COTH had great review for the quality of this boot. I bet you could rush order a pair from Dover. They have quick shipping options

Comment

Again, you can't compare how a boot will fit the OP comparing it to anyone with a shoe size under a 9.5 because the standard calf goes up. There's probably around an inch of a difference in the calf between someone who wears an x-slim tall size 7 and an x-slim tall size 10.
                  aka Amanda
                  "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

Comment

• Original Poster

Ya that's the really unfortunate part is that the assumption is that if you're tall, you're also bigger around. Same is true for buying pants and shirts etc.

I wish I had the where with all to start a riding clothing line just for tall riders. I'd call it "CUSTOM NO MORE" ;P
                    Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

Originally posted by tidy rabbit View Post
                      Ya that's the really unfortunate part is that the assumption is that if you're tall, you're also bigger around. Same is true for buying pants and shirts etc.

I wish I had the where with all to start a riding clothing line just for tall riders. I'd call it "CUSTOM NO MORE" ;P
                      I will be your biggest customer!! Well, not size wise as I'm "only" 6'

Comment

These are the the boots I would recommend (and own) and they worked very well:

Treadstep Donatello (not DaVinci) http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredst...x?cm_vc=Search

Comment

I'm with you. I have a 13.25 inch calf. Which is a slim in an 8.5 boot but I wear a 9.5/10 which means most of the slims are still to big. . . Then I need at least a 19.5' height as well. I'm not even tall, I'm only 5'5" but ALL my height is in my legs, I need an extra long saddle flap and tall boots, but then I have a freakishly short torso.

I have no help, my I feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by hrford View Post
                            I'm with you. I have a 13.25 inch calf. Which is a slim in an 8.5 boot but I wear a 9.5/10 which means most of the slims are still to big. . . Then I need at least a 19.5' height as well. I'm not even tall, I'm only 5'5" but ALL my height is in my legs, I need an extra long saddle flap and tall boots, but then I have a freakishly short torso.

I have no help, my I feel your pain.
                            I'm right there with you. 5'6", 120, all my height in my legs (ridiculously long arms, too), size 7.5-8.5 stupidly narrow foot (depending on brand).... And I have a heckuva time finding tall boots. And pants! And shirts! Not just for riding, either.

I'm also a runner. At least that market has figured out people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Those are the ONLY clothes I have no problem finding that fit properly...
                            "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

Look at these...I'm always haunting eBay for other peoples' custom boots that might fit me. The foot on these would be too big for me, or I'd grab them...9.5-10, 20.5" height, 13" calf.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Der-Dau-Fiel...item4ac23b478e

Foot might be small for you, but you can usually safely stretch the foot 1/2 size.

Comment

How can the Donatello's possibly be tall enough for a tall person? The size chart lists the height as 18.5, that's not tall at all! Am I missing something?

Comment

tucci. under 1k and im as tall 5'6" 95-100 and as skinny as they get. I love mine they fit sooo much better then the sergios i tried.

Comment

take a drive to Columbus

no brands to recommend, but
                                    Equus Now is having a huge sale this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeHoney View Post
                                      How can the Donatello's possibly be tall enough for a tall person? The size chart lists the height as 18.5, that's not tall at all! Am I missing something?
                                      They make a Tall version of these now:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/Tredste...63390X1-380209

Comment

Aha! Thank you.

Comment

• Original Poster

So with some help from a friend at Equus Now! in Columbus Ohio... Today I received a pair of Ovation Flex Field Boots. Size 10, slim tall.

They are Okay. They are tall enough and fit fine around my calf that measures 13 1/2" at the biggest part. The ankle and lower calf are not as contoured as I would like but they will do. They are 21 1/2" tall and the calf says 14 1/2 on the chart but that must be the max of what they stretch out to.

They are not the best quality boot I've ever laid my eyes on, but they fit, the 10 foot feels more like a 10 1/2 and is plenty roomy. In fact I think I need a thicker sock.

I haven't rode in them yet, but they seem like they will be fine until I can get a new pair of custom boots made.

Here are a few photos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=300d89a220

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=4b7cc1376c

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=2fb6347424
                                          Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

Working...
                                          X