• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Update on Hunter judging perameters at WEF.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, I could point out the narcoleptic horse at my barn who will fall down outside the ring à la Parkland if you don't walk him around every ten/fifteen minutes...

But the bottom line is, don't penalize brilliance and start drug testing winners. I get the problems with going too far in the other direction (I have a dead quiet ottb who naturally goes like a hunter and wouldn't want him penalized) but don't penalize forwardness and a horse enjoying its job. And please drug test champion...even if its a random selection of 1 or 2 A rated hunter divisions per show or hunter classes with prize money exceeding $1k. (Or at least something! I know no one wants to see their fees increase just to drug test the 23 year old pony that wins the short stirrup hunter.)

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect10 View Post
      But when all the horses are "prepared," then what exuberance are the judges to reward? Until the horses show that exuberance, the judges will have to judge what is in front of them, regardless of whether exuberance is allowed.
      Sure, but it seems that they are penalizing exuberance. They don't need to reward exuberance, they just need to not penalize it. If all horses are robotic and one has a fantastic but exuberant round, it doesn't get bumped just because it showed some life.

(and when did a hand gallop = exuberance anyway?) It's a good thing I'm not a judge, because I'd be penalize the super slow lopers. I can't stand that look.
      Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
      Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Those of you who doubt that drugging happens AT ALL LEVELS of competition are deluding yourselves. I have personally witnessed at trainer pull into the parking lot at a jumper night, hop into the back of the five horse diagonal haul and inject all five horses, ducking under the dividers for each one. No drug testing at this non rated event. She called it "liquid training". Same trainer regularly drugged one of the jumpers for it's owner's lessons so she could control him WHILE JUMPING. This trainer is currently very successful, has a full roster of hunters and jumpers and is a very skilled rider.
        Wake up and don't waste time getting defensive. There is at least as much money in horses as cycling, and look at the huge drugging problem in that sport. There are ways to drug and avoid testing positive, as Lance Armstrong so ably showed us.

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post
          I think the problem trying to change drugging by changing judging standards is uneffective at best.

saying to allow the horse to be a horse?

Well, let's say my naturally dopey hunter has a lovely round, but another horse has the same round with a toss of the head and a flick of the tail for a lead change....which horse should win? The well trained and quiet one who didn't play in his changes, or the one that showed "personality"... just in case my guy was drugged?
          No...in the case of equal rounds, one quiet and one with some life, the judge gets to pick which they prefer. Just like with equal quiet rounds, the judge gets to pick the bay because they like it over the gray. Changing judging means that the equal round from the exuberant horse doesn't get ignored and has equal chance of placing. If there happens to be a tie...well the judge's preference gets 1st and the other gets 2nd. Simple as that.
          Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
          Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Well said RugBug! It's that simple. If exuberance isn't penalized, the well-trained horse with some spirit left inside will be considered for a ribbon! Two perfect rounds, one with a tail swish and one without, will be scored according to the judge's preference with no penalty for the swish.

Comment

Originally posted by arlosmine View Post
              Those of you who doubt that drugging happens AT ALL LEVELS of competition are deluding yourselves. I have personally witnessed at trainer pull into the parking lot at a jumper night, hop into the back of the five horse diagonal haul and inject all five horses, ducking under the dividers for each one. No drug testing at this non rated event. She called it "liquid training". Same trainer regularly drugged one of the jumpers for it's owner's lessons so she could control him WHILE JUMPING. This trainer is currently very successful, has a full roster of hunters and jumpers and is a very skilled rider.
              Wake up and don't waste time getting defensive. There is at least as much money in horses as cycling, and look at the huge drugging problem in that sport. There are ways to drug and avoid testing positive, as Lance Armstrong so ably showed us.
              I don't think anyone is denying that drugging occurs at all levels. But what do you do about drugging at unrated events? Everyone ponies up $30 extra to drug test a few random horses? And then what do you do if someone tests positive...take away their lunch money?

USEF has the power to make changes that help curtail drugging. That is why the discussion is so hot - there are things that could be done that are not being done. But what can you do to a trainer who gives a horse something to prep it for a lesson?

Comment

[QUOTE=Claudius;6872149]So I read that the rule book was suggesting that judges allow the horses to be horses, in an effort to discourage the use of drugs to accomplish the norm of today, the drug induced stupor. I came down and I showed and the horses standing around me all looked zonked. A gun could have gone off and they would not have moved. I realized last year that I could not stomach what was required to render my horse "properly prepared" in the eyes of the trainer who was helping me. Let alone the pressure to have a fake tail. ugh.
                /QUOTE]

A gun could have gone off around this horse and she wouldn't have moved either: http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps3cbdcd3f.jpg . Trust me, that TB mare was NOT drugged nor LTD.

Previously, I also didn't believe some of the hunters were capable of the type of quiet loping around big fences..Until BO got one in that truely makes me believe it is possible without drugging and excessive prep. He is a joy to watch, quietly loping up to a 3'6" fence and smoothly powering over it. And he is young and warmblood, this is his true nature.
                “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

Comment

• Original Poster

I too have had super quiet horses that went on to greatness. Most known were Ancient Line (HOTY) and Holy Smoke, and Sassoon. In my experience, these were unusual horses and worth a fortune. Most horses require more management than the super quiet ones. But they can be managed and produce lovely rounds.I have made many like that. But last year the trainer that was helping me and encouraging me to do more and more to my lovely horse to succeed, said to me," Those horses you won so much with...they wouldn't win now!!" And I know that all those lovely horses looked alert and interested when they entered the ring. They had lovely soft rounds and had beautiful form over fences. If that wouldn't win now, something is wrong.

It is just so discouraging to be privy to the short cuts that abound in our sport...somehow it has become unsavory to be around. And for me to feel that way is a surprise to me because there is nothing I have loved all my long life than going to horse shows.
                  "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Comment

PARAMETERS

Comment

Originally posted by Claudius View Post
                      So I read that the rule book was suggesting that judges allow the horses to be horses, in an effort to discourage the use of drugs to accomplish the norm of today, the drug induced stupor. I came down and I showed and the horses standing around me all looked zonked. A gun could have gone off and they would not have moved. I realized last year that I could not stomach what was required to render my horse "properly prepared" in the eyes of the trainer who was helping me. Let alone the pressure to have a fake tail. ugh.

I had the disappointing experience of keeping my horse on the grounds one night and coming to care for him early in the morning. The conversations overheard about, "how much' and "when" were all around me and I just got disgusted. I kind of gave up at that point. When will our organization put some teeth into the drugging situation??? It has to come FROM THE TOP.....that would take the heat off the trainers if the organization would require that people learn to ride a real, un drugged horse before they venture into the AA showring. Is it going to happen?
                      You never mentioned that the trainer offered you neferious suggestions to prep your horse. You actually seemed to love the way he went when you prepped him according to her (his?) directions:

Originally posted by Claudius View Post
                      This weekend at WEF was our first show since our prep adjustment. Last time he felt dead and I just could not see my distances. This time he was kick along quiet, but not dead. The first day in the Grand Hunter Ring (now called the Gene Mische ring ) I made distance errors and was out of the hunt. TODAY we scored an 80 (with a sticky change) and a 74 with a stickier change and a rap.....we were 4th and 6th respectively.....and 5th in the hack!!! We were finally IN the hunt, recognized and accounted for!! I am hoping we can reproduce the prep that lead to this happy result!! I want to thank every one again for the excellent advice given on this thread. I hope others will benefit from it as well.
                      Although you do say later in the thread that you stopped prepping because it was too much work.

Now -- if YOU could get those results with your horse using elbow grease instead of drugs, why do you assume that everyone else is drugging? Those people may simply be more dedicated to maintaining a program than you were. It doesn't mean that they are drugging.

NOTE: I realize that people DO drug, but not every quiet horse is a drugged horse. Some of us just buy and train horses appropriate for the hunter ring.

Once someone comes up with a drug that makes my horse never miss a change then I'll risk the testers for that one!!

Comment

Claudius - but if you give up now, those drugging to win will have gained the upper hand. Find and train up horses like you had in the past - bring them to shows, have fun and not worrying about competing with the deadheads. If we all keep it up, the norm will be the ones looking alert and interested when they enter the ring.
                        “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

Comment

Originally posted by Rel6 View Post
                          You know, I could point out the narcoleptic horse at my barn who will fall down outside the ring à la Parkland if you don't walk him around every ten/fifteen minutes...

But the bottom line is, don't penalize brilliance and start drug testing winners. I get the problems with going too far in the other direction (I have a dead quiet ottb who naturally goes like a hunter and wouldn't want him penalized) but don't penalize forwardness and a horse enjoying its job. And please drug test champion...even if its a random selection of 1 or 2 A rated hunter divisions per show or hunter classes with prize money exceeding $1k. (Or at least something! I know no one wants to see their fees increase just to drug test the 23 year old pony that wins the short stirrup hunter.)
                          Why not test the winners? Is other sports, winning athletes are tested. Testing the winners would either disclose drugging or put to rest all the accusations. Pretty soon there will be a test for higher than normal magnesium levels.

Comment

More sad to me is that the quiet horse is immediately assumed to be drugged. More concerning than the head tosser being penalized IMO.

Comment

I think the bigger problem is the actual drugs that are being injected. Most of the things given at WEF and other rated shows will not test (Mag, Dex, etc.). Therefore testing the winners in a moot point. Until the drug tests catch up with the creative cheaters, more testing isn't going to expose the problem.
                              Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                              My equine soulmate
                              Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

It's called "AWARENESS"!

Be aware of your horse. Read your bills. When you get a miscellaneous charge, ask about it.

Most clients at big trainers barns abide by the "out of sight, out of mind".

Have respect for your horses and be present for his care.

I have worked for a few trainers and have seen it all. I would never trust my horse completely with another trainer.

I keep my horses at home and ride them myself. My 5 year old will go to his second rated show and do pre greens next week. Will he win? Probably not. Will he jump around? Probably. Will he jump into some changes? Probably. Will he get dinged for a head shake or bobbled change, heck yes!

Heck, I might even show him in the hunter derby. He loves to jump and I want to enjoy having a horse with such young talent. He will win eventually, I have faith!

I hate that I have to watch horses go around with perfect head set, perfect changes, and no personality. In pre greens no less! Where horses are supposed to be green!

I mean look at the baby greens! If you don't get perfect changes, you can't even place! It's baby greens! Uuggghhhh!

Rant over.
                                I just wish people were more aware, cared more about horsemanship and Worked harder to get better at riding instead of having that "perfect" horse every time.

Comment

Refering back to how show hunters morphed from field hunters and you wanted a horse that would carry you safely over hill and dale: some of my best fox hunting experiences (Quorn Hunt in England) were on some pretty hot throughbreds that could jump the moon and keep up easily with hounds! Sure has heck wouldn't have done well in the show ring but were safe as could be out in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by AmmyByNature View Post
                                    Once someone comes up with a drug that makes my horse never miss a change then I'll risk the testers for that one!!
                                    I always needed a drug that would make my horse find all eight fences perfectly, even though I was picking at him for the wrong distance up on his back.

Comment

Originally posted by dani0303 View Post
                                      I think the best example I've seen of this lately was Bacardi in the WCHR Spectacular class a few weeks ago. He was jumping out of his skin and showing his exuberance on the landing side of the fence. Nothing major, just a head shake. The announcer kept saying he was "underprepared" and the judges scores reflected it. It was probably one of my favorite rounds of the night but only scored ~70.
                                      I saw the round and loved it, too, except for that giant, glaring miss to one fence that was very obvious to anyone watching, and was noted by the announcer as the horse "pulling badly past the distance."

Would have been very interesting to see what the round scored without the chip and resulting not-great jump, but at that level you shouldn't be missing and low 70s isn't out of line for a very good round with a boffed fence.

I do agree that the comments about being "unprepared" were uncalled for, and he was by far the most fun to watch. I also know that at least a couple of the judges on the panel appreciate a quality horse and would have absolutely no problem with the playing and headshaking.

Comment

This whole drugging scene is somewhat more complicated tha just a "change trainers " war cry. I kept my horses at home and sent them to shows with riders/trainers. I would have sworn that they went to the ring clean but I have since found out that a couple of times there was LTD and drugging. I was the last to know although I admit to a Hmmm moment once. I have neither the time nor enough interest in showing to park myself 24/7 outside a stall to see what is going on. I assume riders were trying to make me happy/impress others/whatever else and just did it on their own. . It was always riders or trainers trying to tell me what I should think . No one ever thought to ask me about the journey my horses should take. terrible communication!! Why did I not move? To whom?? If people close to me were messing up how do I know the rest of the world ism't as well? The average trainer can lie flat out lie to your face and stab you in the back as soon as you walk away. Owners don't go into this game to be obnoxious, questioning, demanding, rude etc. But they can sure end up that way through no fault of their own.
                                        Owning a derby horse that has a great round but makes an oppsie would still be a great thrill.

Comment

Originally posted by dani0303 View Post
                                          I think the bigger problem is the actual drugs that are being injected. Most of the things given at WEF and other rated shows will not test (Mag, Dex, etc.). Therefore testing the winners in a moot point. Until the drug tests catch up with the creative cheaters, more testing isn't going to expose the problem.
                                          Dex is not forbidden and it will test.

Comment

Working...
                                          X