• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is this unreasonable???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this unreasonable???

I have a small barn and an arena on my farm. The arena is new with washed sand/crumb rubber footing. It cost us around $40,000.

I have 2 college students boarding here. They pay for hay, grain and shavings, and they generally take care of each other's stalls, but we do a lot of the daily care. We don't ask much of them - we generally like having them around to ride with, and they liven up the farm. This is our first experience with boarders.

We have asked them several times to scoop any manure out of the arena after they ride. One in particular continues to leave it, and her horse is messy! He leaves trails of it, and it is time consuming to pick it out.

Are my expectations unreasonable? I'm seeking advice as to how to handle this. Thanks!

Not at all unreasonable! But do you have a board contract? If not, you really should - helps to protect all parties involved. In that, you can specify requirements, such as cleaning up all common areas after yourself, like crossties, arenas, etc. If you search online, you can often find samples of board contracts to model and of course can always have an attorney review it.

Comment

No, that's a fairly common rule and completely reasonable. Not sure how to go about enforcing it though.
      Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
      Like us on Facebook!

Comment

How old are they!!! That's just common courtesy - anywhere. Time to grow up!

and yes put it in writing.

Comment

Not unreasonable at all. I think every barn I have ever boarded at has had this rule. Most people are pretty good about following it. I would keep after them about following the rule. Send them e-mails, etc. after every time they leave it. That's just very discourteous.

Comment

Not unreasonable at all.

Keep a muck bucket and fork in the indoor. If they're still noncompliant, fine them/kick them out/take the poop and put it on the front seat of their car.
            Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
            Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
            VW sucks.

Comment

You defnitely need a boarding contract. The reasonable-ness of this requirement depends upon what you are charging for board. If you're charging for feed/hay/shavings, then heck, yes they should do whatever you ask. If you're charging for all of the expenses plus a nice "profit" (who does that?) then your boarders might expect for cleanup to be included as a service.

If you're not charging a real board rate, then let them (or their parents) know (in advance) that you'll tack on a fee for cleanup if they don't do it themselves.

You'll be finding out really soon why lots of people don't board. It's really not worth the aggravation unless you charging for it.
              http://patchworkfarmga.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, great suggestions. I will get contracts, I actually just discovered that equine.com has free legal documents. I was hoping to avoid tension, but it is driving me crazy.

My husband said that he will put a lock on the arena gate if she continues to leave her messes. Honestly, I cleaned it up yesterday and didn't tell him it had happened again because I wanted to seek advice and give her one more chance. I want harmony - it's my home and my happy place.

Comment

Errmahgaard.... I hope none of their ponies ever pees in the arena !

((JUST KIDDING ! I think your rule is perfectly reasonable, and in fact I think it's been the norm for every arena I've ever ridden in. Not picking out the poo is rude and obnoxious. It would be nice if you could catch her in the act one time, and stand over her while she cleans it, so she gets the picture that it's one more chore that somebody has to do))

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, and all of the necessary equipment IS in the arena.

Comment

Sounds like those kids have a great deal with you, one they are not going to find elsewhere if they leave you, voluntarily or otherwise.

Remember some boarders are going to conduct themselves as they please and without a contract spelling everything out and some simple barn rules clearly communicated and in writing? They can do or not do as they please.

You will need to review your contract or get one pronto and have the boarder or responsible adult if they are minors sign it. Include 2 copies of the barn rules and have them initial a copy and keep it while you also keep a copy for their file. Get a dry erase board or go to Staples and have a simple sign printed up with "Pick up any manure from arena and clean up grooming areas and aisles". Post that. And put a pitchfork/apple picker and a muck tub by the arena gate.

And you wonder why we get so many posting they will never take boarders...
                      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

FWIW, I really think the rate charged doesn't impact whether or not a person should have to clean up their horses' poop out of the indoor. I've had to do this at every barn I've ever been in, including full service A show barns where they tack up your horse for you.

Comment

Definitely not unreasonable and as already said common place at boarding facilities. I agree to have a contract complete with a rules attachment initialed by the boarders. An occasional oversight/memory lapse is one thing, a habit should be addressed. Might start with a monetary penalty - $5 per clean-up and maybe more than x increases the penalty. And you can ask them to leave anytime (as specified in your contract)
                          Epona Farm
                          Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I think this is a standard barn rule that I have seen most every place I have ridden or boarded. I would recommend you post a standard list of barn rules: helmets are to be worn at all times when mounted, clean up after your horse in wash stall/grooming stall/arena, etc. This is a very common practice.

These girls have a WONDERFUL deal and opportunity, something I would have given my right arm for in college! Not to be harsh but I am certain there are many people who would love to have a similar opportunity and would be more than willing to be tidy and clean up after themselves.

Boarding contracts should never cause tension--they should clarify responsibilities to each party--what you provide for XX dollars and the boarder's responsibilites. If they are not comfortable with the contracts then you will know it is time to find new boarders!

Comment

She could just be forgetful too! I never had to scoop poop out of a ring for literally decades, so it was new to me at my new barn. Now that I know, it's not usually a problem and it's definitely not in my boarding contract or anything but I do forget occassionally if I rush out quickly (like Saturday when I was trying to get a ride in before attending a funeral), and I generally feel awful when I see that nasty note that "someone" forgot to clean up their manure the next day But that's exactly why I help out whenever I can and scoop for others who forgot, or clean out the washstall extra well, sweep the tack room, etc. So maybe you should address both boarders together and ask them to both contribute to cleaning up after one another? Not that boarder #2 should start taking all the responsibility for #1's messes, but she's likely to put some added pressure on #1 to start remembering!

Comment

Originally posted by Jsalem View Post

If you're not charging a real board rate, then let them (or their parents) know (in advance) that you'll tack on a fee for cleanup if they don't do it themselves.
                                Don't go to their parents. They are college students, maybe even in their early twenties, and responsible for themselves. If going to them doesn't solve the problem, tack on a "cleaning fee" or kick them out. You don't want to start going to their parents because then are you going to do that every single time something comes up? That is also a good way to possibly ruffle feathers (I've seen people go over a 19/20 year olds head about their horses even though they are completely independent from their parents - it definitely caused friction.) Either they take responsibility themselves or they leave. They are adults...they better act like it.

Comment

Yeah but, if these are minors, OP has to get the parents to sign. Even if they are older, if that board check is coming from somebody else, like the parent, your contract needs to be with the party signing the checks. Contracts only bind those who sign them...don't risk the "oh I never signed that" mess when a third party is involved.

Otherwise, no, deal with them if they are of age and signing the checks.
                                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                                    FWIW, I really think the rate charged doesn't impact whether or not a person should have to clean up their horses' poop out of the indoor. I've had to do this at every barn I've ever been in, including full service A show barns where they tack up your horse for you.
                                    This ^^ and the 'worst' BOs were the ones at the top show barns! Everything needed to be spotless.

Enforce the poop rule! The arena is not a litter box.
                                    ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                                    I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                                    HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
                                      Enforce the poop rule! The arena is not a litter box.
                                      It is for the barn cats!
                                      Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                                      Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                                      VW sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by I'dRatherBRiding View Post
                                        She could just be forgetful too! I never had to scoop poop out of a ring for literally decades, so it was new to me at my new barn. Now that I know, it's not usually a problem and it's definitely not in my boarding contract or anything but I do forget occassionally if I rush out quickly (like Saturday when I was trying to get a ride in before attending a funeral), and I generally feel awful when I see that nasty note that "someone" forgot to clean up their manure the next day But that's exactly why I help out whenever I can and scoop for others who forgot, or clean out the washstall extra well, sweep the tack room, etc. So maybe you should address both boarders together and ask them to both contribute to cleaning up after one another? Not that boarder #2 should start taking all the responsibility for #1's messes, but she's likely to put some added pressure on #1 to start remembering!
                                        It took me a while to remember to pick up the poop after boarding for eons at barns were we didn't do it. It could be that it's a habit that needs to be ingrained into the offending boarder. EVERY TIME you see her leave the arena, tell her to go in and pick up the manure. Every day you see her, remind her to pick up her manure; if she's done riding, ask her whether she picked up her manure. Get the habit established.
                                        Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

Working...
                                        X