• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How Much Is This Pony Worth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA: The pony might not be such a "seeing eye dog over fences" or a packer for anyone when he gets some groceries and care.

If I needed this type of pony, and knowing that he's at least 19 years old, I'd want to see him in good weight first. You have to answer questions about his rideability when he's not starving and what it takes to keep him healthy. Both determine his actual value. As it stands now, it would be hard for any buyer of this type of animal to know what they were getting.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

I can't go into details, but pony has always been a "harder" keeper to stay in show condition, and as of 2 months ago, his backbone didn't stick out at all - he was pretty round all over. He was about a 4.5-5 body score. Yes, he is a true 19 years old and teeth are in good condition. He doesn't go around with his head "way up", just needs some polish for the hack classes because he has been with a beginner the past two years. I have no control over the situation what so ever, but I was asked where I would price him. Honestly, I do not think he is getting fed the way he needs to, but like I said, I have no say in the matter. I don't even know if he will be sold, I was just asked to suggest a price. This past summer, he was showing and winning in good company in the 2' division, but would need a tune-up right now to go back into the show ring. As far as I know, he doesn't get any supplements or injections and is barefoot. He does not get at all "hot" even when feed properly to maintain a good weight.
      Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

Comment

as of 2 months ago, his backbone didn't stick out at all - he was pretty round all over.
        With rapid weight loss (unless you can show a sustained food shortage) I'd suspect something metabolic, or even cancer.
        If the owner wants a higher price (than what's suggested here) then they need to invest in returning pony to good body score & showability, a thorough health check (with blood chemistry tests) to rule out metabolic issues would also make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarabeth View Post
          Loss of topline and a ribby appearance is also a classic symptom of Cushings. The pony is 19, I'd be worried about that.
          My thoughts exactly. Having just taken on a Cushings pony, I would not pay to bring this pony into my barn. Maybe free to good home, or very possibly something low to get it out of trouble. With a vet workup and treatment for metabolic and/or ulcers or teeth, possible special diet - you may end up with an awesome kids pony for another decade. But...you may also end up with a difficult to maintain, laminitic special needs case....

So, I'd say $0-$500 unless the owner wants to do some of the upfront vet work to rule out Cushings...

Comment

Nice job Rabicon ! All your horses look fantastic.

Comment

Having been in a BIG Pony barn for almost 18 years that also deals on the local level, it is difficult if not impossible to sell something like this in good weight with a recent SS record.

Now, people will lease a 19 year old but few would buy one. Especially one that won't hold weight over a 4/5 and is currently a 2/3.

Have they pulled blood recently to determine why the sudden drop in condition? And even if he is really 19, that geriatric change in appearance can occur around then in some and once the ribs drop, they don't really come back although more weight helps camoflage it. But once they start looking old, they look old.

I just don't see alot of value here for a buyer with so many others out there for sale or lease plus the cost of the PPE and bloodwork indicated by his current condition would probably be more then his purchase price.

I'll go ahead and mention the ulcers too...they wouldn't be helping him even if they are not the sole cause of his drop in condition. If the owners would care to invest in bloodwork, treat for ulcers and get him into decent shape (I'm thinking 7ish on that body scale)? They might have a shot at getting 1200 or so or leasing him out. As he is? No.
              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Thanks. I try very hard to keep all mine in good health and on the right track.
                Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

For some reason, when I am pony shopping I can never find a seeing eye dog, sound, aged pony (even one how needs some tlc, groceries and a bit of reschooling) for anything less than several thousand dollars

I guess the reason for the low body score is going to be the deciding factor. If there is something major going on (i.e. Cushings) then yes, he is probably a free lease. If he just is one of those harder keeper types that needed more tlc and is indeed as reliable as you state I think you can still get in the ball park of $1,500. Closer to $3,000 if he was brought back into condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Mozart View Post
                    For some reason, when I am pony shopping I can never find a seeing eye dog, sound, aged pony (even one how needs some tlc, groceries and a bit of reschooling) for anything less than several thousand dollars

I totally agree. If you can find one for sale at all. There are plenty of little devil-ponies around for free, but not ponies I'd actually put my kid on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mozart View Post
                      I guess the reason for the low body score is going to be the deciding factor. If there is something major going on (i.e. Cushings) then yes, he is probably a free lease. If he just is one of those harder keeper types that needed more tlc and is indeed as reliable as you state I think you can still get in the ball park of $1,500. Closer to $3,000 if he was brought back into condition.
                      I agree with you. *In theory* 19 is not that old for a pony. If the pony was in good weight and seemed generally happy and healthy, I would not be surprised to see it go for $2500+ or even way more, if it is truly a safe, sound kids pony.

At that age, though, health/soundness is everything. If I knew the pony and were convinced it was just an issues with groceries, I *might* take a gamble....

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
                        At that age, though, health/soundness is everything. If I knew the pony and were convinced it was just an issues with groceries, I *might* take a gamble....
                        But how much would you pay in as is condition? This was a ball park price range question. I don't hate the Pony, I just don't think anybody will pay much of anything for it without considerable assurances it is actually healthy, like bloodwork.

They get that done, get some groceries into him and school him up a little, it might be different. But the trick is to find somebody who actually will hitch up and come get him-that can be the tough part with a 19 year old 2'er. Alot may like him but most are not going show up with their trailer, load him up and take him home.

Maybe somebody with their own property who can give it a forever home but todays buyer typically boards out and can't see too many trainers picking this one up as is for a client.
                        Last edited by findeight; Mar. 5, 2013, 02:22 PM.
                        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                          But how much would you pay in as is condition? This was a ball park price range question.
                          Me? Nothing. I already posted above that I would be concerned about Cushings or other metabolic issues as the cause of the poor condition, rather than just lack of groceries.

I recently took in a "free pony that needed a grass-free environment" as a dry-lot companion to a mini, and have since spent thousands in vet and farrier bills already because he was diagnosed with Cushings about 2 weeks later. Now appears to also be insulin resistant, making even eating regular hay with my herd a huge PITA. On the outside he didn't *look* too bad - a bit ribby, prominent backbone - but they were just signs of a serious metabolic condition. I could see this being the exact same situation.

So, I agree that *IF* the pony was only a little underweight, he might be worth some decent money. (And if, for example, someone had known him for years and knew that he had been safe, sound and healthy, the seller might get lucky.) But, to the outside market...the current condition is a big red flag unless they want to do some basic vet work first to show he is healthy/sound.

Comment

I didn't think of Cushings :sad: I try to avoid thinking about it.

But I agree. After losing Aisha, who had NO SYMPTOMS of Cushings at all whatsoever, I would be hard pressed to take one now. And my vet said that that a good percentage of horses who have it, I can't remember what number he used, maybe 30?, it was all a blurry white noise nightmare, have none of the classic symptoms (rough coat, poor body condition, patchy fat, abscesses, etc etc etc) and the only symptom you get is sudden and severe laminitis. So no, I'd not take one until that was ruled out.

Even so, if it wasn't Cushings, I stand by my original price estimates. A lesson pony up here, sound and no Cushings natch', would go for that.
                            COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

• Original Poster

This was said pony last March.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

That is me riding him, so I don't mind posting the pics. He can easily do more than 2' (if he was in better condition) but the kid that has been riding him is not at that level yet. He has done the regular larges and was schooling 3' courses just a few months ago (but he was in much better condition than he is now). He was in about this condition in the picture until he left our farm towards the end of December 2012 (less than 3 months ago). I'm not saying it's not a "medical" condition, but I doubt he is on the same routine he was when he was here. He was skinny when he came to our farm when he was purchased and it took several months to get him where he needed to be, so he does have a history of being a harder keeper. How much does being a hard keeper affect pricing? I know buyers don't "want" to purchase a hard keeper, but if the pony can pack around a beginner and just needs a little extra TLC, how badly does that affect price? I honestly don't think that they are going to end up selling him at all, but I was asked the question and for once, I didn't know the answer! Lol I honestly figured around $500, because not many people can see past the ribs and the backbone. BTW, he won the model class at the County Fair this past August (not that it matters, but he was in lovely condition at that time and looked like he was maybe 8 or 9 years old; not closer to 20.
                              Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

Comment

He's super-cute carrying good weight.

If the pony looks good at time of purchase and you supply me with a list of instructions of what is working to keep him that way, I don't care about a hard keeper. In fact, it is less frustrating for me than my super-easy-keeper pony who lives on air and still is overweight.

The kicker here is that the pony looks like crap now and no one is just going to take owner's word for it that the pony is OK. The pony is worth nothing/very little in its current condition no matter how desirable it is well-fed.

If it was a former pony of mine I would be having the "concerned former owner" talk about what its program is and why it has lost so much weight in 3 months. They might need help managing it/getting it on a better program. But while I usually keep my opinions to myself, when it comes to one of my former horses I can't see sitting to the side when you know what it actually took to get pony looking good.

Then I would never, ever sell these people another horse!

Comment

They should just give him away as is, if they can. The amount of feed they'd have to sink in him, not to mention time, and tuning, will be a wash.

Sounds like he needs individual care, with a private person who can watch him closely and give one on one attention.

Comment

S1969 check out this stuff
                                    http://www.equinemedsurg.com/faqir.html

I started out pony that we believe is insulin rest. On it and he is on grass and hay and has lost 100lbs being on a round bale actually and grass 24/7 if the weather is good. Of course he needed to lose weight though and not gain.
                                    Last edited by rabicon; Mar. 6, 2013, 10:21 AM.
                                    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

$500 -- enough to keep him from being sold on to the auctions. Free lease would be better.
                                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
                                        If it was a former pony of mine I would be having the "concerned former owner" talk about what its program is and why it has lost so much weight in 3 months. They might need help managing it/getting it on a better program. But while I usually keep my opinions to myself, when it comes to one of my former horses I can't see sitting to the side when you know what it actually took to get pony looking good.
                                        I once got fired from a barn for going off on the BO because they were under feeding a pony I'd sold them. The BO's husband asked why the pony was suddenly snatching grass and pulling the reins out of beginners hands. In retrospect, telling him in a loud voice, "WELL MAYBE IF YOU FED HER she wouldn't feel the need to! You're not supposed to see her SPINE." Fortunately they sold her shortly afterwards and turned into her butterball self again.
                                        ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                                        Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

I could get a better looking pony for less than $400 at either Camelot or AC4H. Would it come with the rideability of Tyler? Possibly not, it's the chance you take at an auction. But no way would I pay more than $500 and that would be just to convince them they were getting something for their pony and I would be grateful to pay it and consider it a rescue.
                                          ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                                          Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Working...
                                          X