• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Edited : Confirmed EHV-1 horse at HITS ocala

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Original Poster

    #21
    As of moments ago HITS posted the following on their FB page.

    "Greetings all - a horse was shipped to UF Gainsville last night with EHV symptoms. The symptoms were confirmed and the horse is stable. The tent where the horse was stabled has been quarantined and all horses are being monitored closely. Any signs of fever will be treated by vets immediately. No restrictions on horse movement on or off the show grounds have been declared at this time.

    Everyone is reminded to adhere to HITS' Equine Health Entry Requirements:www.hitsshows.com/pdf/fl_equinehealth_13.pdf"
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
      Close enough to cause an issue..coupled with the sheer numbers of horses in and out and on and off the grounds and back and forth to other venues across the state this time of year.
      ^ This is the scary part.
      Originally posted by rustbreeches
      [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

      Comment


      • #23
        http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...v-1-hits-ocala

        This says neurological form. My trainer heard respiratory. Anyone know?
        ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #24
          Originally posted by snaffle635 View Post
          http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...v-1-hits-ocala

          This says neurological form. My trainer heard respiratory. Anyone know?
          Peterson & Smith is reporting the neuro form.

          "As some of you may have heard, Dr. Dana Zimmel with the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine has informed us that a horse from the HITS showgrounds in Ocala has been admitted to their hospital and confirmed to have the neurologic form of Equine Herpesvirus 1 (EHV-1). We will provide more info on this outbreak as it becomes available to us. In the meantime, we would like to provide information on the disease, and outbreak recommendations. A concise review has been provided by the University of California, Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. It can be viewed at this link."
          "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
            As of moments ago HITS posted the following on their FB page.

            "Greetings all - a horse was shipped to UF Gainsville last night with EHV symptoms. The symptoms were confirmed and the horse is stable. The tent where the horse was stabled has been quarantined and all horses are being monitored closely. Any signs of fever will be treated by vets immediately. No restrictions on horse movement on or off the show grounds have been declared at this time.

            Everyone is reminded to adhere to HITS' Equine Health Entry Requirements:www.hitsshows.com/pdf/fl_equinehealth_13.pdf"
            This is pissing me off. I personally can tell you all that we were just told that the vet would not give my horse a health certificate to leave the state of FL. We had a trip planned to go down and get her and we were leaving today.
            Like I said before, my mare isn't even stabled on the show grounds so if only 1 tent is under quarantine then why is it that my horse is not free to come and go??? It's not just my horse but her trainers whole line of horses. No one is leaving....but why can't they just say that???

            Comment


            • #26
              I don't have any specific details but generally in situations like this horses, except for those under quarantine, may move within the state. If the horse has been on a facility or with other horses that have been on a facility that has a confirmed case of EHV-1 then they are probably restricted from entering any other state.

              Comment


              • #27
                i cannot see any vet giving anyone who had a horse on the showgrounds a health cert to leave the state of florida. it can take up to 21 days for signs of the nero form of herpes to show up. the tent 7 is under qt for 21 days at this point. and that is if no other cases or horses spike a fever. if they do qt starts all over again from that new date.hawthrone race track went thru this from oct of 2012 until the end of jan. 2013. they will not let you leave this state, and should not be letting people come in and out of those showgrounds either..
                www.camaloufarms.com

                ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

                Comment


                • #28
                  We've posted an updated story... http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...v-1-hits-ocala and we'll be following this situation over the weekend.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by hunterjumpereq2 View Post
                    it was race horses--nothing to do with hits or barns in ocala, is what i hear from contacts in ocala
                    So are race horses affected as well? If this is true all of Ocala should just go into quarantine asap..... Wishing the best for everyone down there.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Just spoke to someone from my barn. We have 4 boarders horses competing in the jumpers there. According to my friend, one horse has died, which has not been reported and as reported by EN, the grounds are on lockdown.
                      How will this effect other equestrian events in Ocala?
                      Lori T
                      www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
                      www.facebook.com/LoriTankelPhotography
                      www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Originally posted by maxxtrot View Post
                        i cannot see any vet giving anyone who had a horse on the showgrounds a health cert to leave the state of florida. it can take up to 21 days for signs of the nero form of herpes to show up. the tent 7 is under qt for 21 days at this point. and that is if no other cases or horses spike a fever. if they do qt starts all over again from that new date.hawthrone race track went thru this from oct of 2012 until the end of jan. 2013. they will not let you leave this state, and should not be letting people come in and out of those showgrounds either..
                        You stated that you work with a vet clinic earlier so I am taking interest into your posts as I am sure you are up to date and well-briefed with the virus. How will they conduct the quarantine in the tent? It seems to me virtually impossible to quarantine one tent at a show when the tents are so close, the horses need to get out, etc. I just do not understand how it will be conducted.

                        Thanks for keeping us up to date!

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Originally posted by maxxtrot View Post
                          i cannot see any vet giving anyone who had a horse on the showgrounds a health cert to leave the state of florida. it can take up to 21 days for signs of the nero form of herpes to show up. the tent 7 is under qt for 21 days at this point. and that is if no other cases or horses spike a fever. if they do qt starts all over again from that new date.hawthrone race track went thru this from oct of 2012 until the end of jan. 2013. they will not let you leave this state, and should not be letting people come in and out of those showgrounds either..
                          We just got confirmation from our vet that nothing is leaving or coming into FL right now. This could last for 30 days. Fun.
                          Just still wishing HITS would be open and honest about this stuff and not leave us in the dark when we pay them good money to run their shows.

                          Comment

                          • Original Poster

                            #33
                            Originally posted by iridehorses View Post
                            You stated that you work with a vet clinic earlier so I am taking interest into your posts as I am sure you are up to date and well-briefed with the virus. How will they conduct the quarantine in the tent? It seems to me virtually impossible to quarantine one tent at a show when the tents are so close, the horses need to get out, etc. I just do not understand how it will be conducted.

                            Thanks for keeping us up to date!
                            My questions lie more closely with that on a busy active densely populated show grounds like HITS Ocala with a confirmed case. How can you be so sure that that horse has not had outside contact with others on the show grounds prior to becoming symptomatic ? Seems like just quarantining one barn in this circumstance is like holding a cup of sea water and claiming there are no whales in the ocean.
                            "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Originally posted by Lori T View Post
                              Just spoke to someone from my barn. We have 4 boarders horses competing in the jumpers there. According to my friend, one horse has died, which has not been reported and as reported by EN, the grounds are on lockdown.
                              How will this effect other equestrian events in Ocala?
                              Wow.... Thank you for getting the inside scoop. My prayers go out to all down there and the horse that died. Those grounds better be on lockdown. And there should virtually be no shipping of horses in that area.

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
                                My questions lie more closely with that on a busy active densely populated show grounds like HITS Ocala with a confirmed case. How can you be so sure that that horse has not had outside contact with others on the show grounds prior to becoming symptomatic ? Seems like just quarantining one barn in this circumstance is like holding a cup of sea water and claiming there are no whales in the ocean.
                                Exactly, it would be one thing to control the case within the grounds but so many barns have horses at hits and their properties surrounding the area. Hoping for the best of course but this is a serious situation and I hope EVERYONE there is treating it as a serious matter.

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  This is all very sad and scary. My heart goes out to all involved.

                                  As a side question, who is responsible for the fees to board at HITS while horses are quarantined? Are they having to pay show stall rates? How about vet fees for monitoring? And please don't take that question as being insensitive, as that is not my intent.
                                  “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                                  ¯ Oscar Wilde

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Originally posted by iridehorses View Post
                                    Wow.... Thank you for getting the inside scoop. My prayers go out to all down there and the horse that died. Those grounds better be on lockdown. And there should virtually be no shipping of horses in that area.
                                    Honestly, while I am sorry that horses may be on lock down and unable to leave, I have no interest in having 4 horses that may have been exposed returning to the barn I am at. Seems to me that things could be reported better.
                                    Lori T
                                    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
                                    www.facebook.com/LoriTankelPhotography
                                    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      I was wondering the same thing, paradox. Thank you for asking.

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Originally posted by Lori T View Post
                                        Honestly, while I am sorry that horses may be on lock down and unable to leave, I have no interest in having 4 horses that may have been exposed returning to the barn I am at. Seems to me that things could be reported better.
                                        I'm with you Lori....as an owner its unsettling that I had to call my vet to have him call the official vet of the show to see what's really going on. Why can't HITS just say it outright?

                                        Comment

                                        • Original Poster

                                          #40
                                          Originally posted by jse View Post
                                          I'm with you Lori....as an owner its unsettling that I had to call my vet to have him call the official vet of the show to see what's really going on. Why can't HITS just say it outright?
                                          Because it might affect revenue. Show is still going on. If the horses were their first concern a press release would have been made by HITS on their pages FIRST. Not people shipping in to be greeted by a State vet at the gates informing them that they may show at their own risk.
                                          "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X