• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Edited : Confirmed EHV-1 horse at HITS ocala

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update;

We pulled blood and swabbed noses for three days in a row for the tests for EHV-1 on day 7,8,9 of exposure 2 tests have come back negative, waiting for the third today.

On our 2 horses that were in Ocala.
    Still on self imposed quarantine day 12.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

• Originally posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
      Update;

We pulled blood and swabbed noses for three days in a row for the tests for EHV-1 on day 7,8,9 of exposure 2 tests have come back negative, waiting for the third today.

On our 2 horses that were in Ocala.
      Still on self imposed quarantine day 12.

I so wish that every horse owner in Ocala was posting daily updates on their horses. Also every horse owner in Wellington, just for the sake of completeness.

Comment

• Originally posted by currycomb321 View Post
        I so wish that every horse owner in Ocala was posting daily updates on their horses. Also every horse owner in Wellington, just for the sake of completeness.
        There are over 1200 horse farms in Ocala.

Comment

• there is no way that will happen
          Draumr Hesta Farm
          "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
          Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

• Originally posted by SLR View Post
            There are over 1200 horse farms in Ocala.
            Originally posted by Nootka View Post
            there is no way that will happen

whooooooooooshhhhhh.......

Did you hear that? That was the sound of sarcasm flying right over COTHers' heads.

Comment

• ASK the VET LIVE - EHV-1 Horse Health Alert - 3/7 @ 8pm

FYI -- please spread the word to anyone interested -

Equine herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1) is a highly contagious disease that can cause epidemic abortion in mares and respiratory and/or neurologic disease. The neurologic form is often fatal. In response to recent cases, our experts answer your EHV-1 questions.

Join TheHorse.com on Thursday, March 7, at 8 p.m. EST for a Special Edition of Ask the Vet LIVE. We will address current EHV-1 cases in North America and offer information that can help you protect your horses.

Submit your questions now to be answered during the live event!

http://www.thehorse.com/ask-the-vet/...e-health-alert
              Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

• "2 more Ocala-area farms linked to equine herpes virus"

Not sure where the updated list of quarantined farms is, so I thought I would post this in case it is something new.

(Posted: 6:52 a.m. Tuesday, March 5, 2013; www.wftv.com)

"Two more horse farms have been quarantined following an outbreak of equine herpes virus at an Ocala area farm.

No new cases of the outbreak were found. But officials quarantined Hard Ford Farm in Reddick and Chestnut Hill Farm in Ocala on Monday after horses housed there later developed the illness."

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...s-virus/nWg6t/

Edited: Found the updated list:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf
                The virtual "woodshed" seems the only remedy for willful fools .

Comment

• Originally posted by Joanne View Post
                  Not sure where the updated list of quarantined farms is, so I thought I would post this in case it is something new.

"Two more horse farms have been quarantined following an outbreak of equine herpes virus at an Ocala area farm.

No new cases of the outbreak were found. But officials quarantined Hard Ford Farm in Reddick and Chestnut Hill Farm in Ocala on Monday after horses housed there later developed the illness."

Edited: Found the updated list:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...siteUpdate.pdf
                  DAMN IT! Chestnut Hill Farm in WI is right near me. I realize it is their Ocala location that is quarantined, but this is still not good news.

Comment

• Originally posted by ldaziens View Post
                    FYI -- please spread the word to anyone interested -

Equine herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1) is a highly contagious disease that can cause epidemic abortion in mares and respiratory and/or neurologic disease. The neurologic form is often fatal. In response to recent cases, our experts answer your EHV-1 questions.

Join TheHorse.com on Thursday, March 7, at 8 p.m. EST for a Special Edition of Ask the Vet LIVE. We will address current EHV-1 cases in North America and offer information that can help you protect your horses.

Submit your questions now to be answered during the live event!

http://www.thehorse.com/ask-the-vet/...e-health-alert
                    I have avoided posting here for too long. This information is NOT accurate. There have been more quarantines but these are based on THE SAME POSITIVE HORSE FROM TENT 3 FROM FEB 14. There have been NO MORE POSITIVES at HITS Ocala. The disease incubation is from 2 to ten days...it has been nearly three weeks since the last positive horse....While this is cause for concern, the misinformation is abounding. I understand concern but....
                    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Comment

• (Posted: 6:52 a.m. Tuesday, March 5, 2013; www.wftv.com)

THIS INFORMATION....I dont understand this computer...

Comment

• (Posted: 6:52 a.m. Tuesday, March 5, 2013; www.wftv.com)
                        Last edited by Jumphigh83; Mar. 5, 2013, 06:57 PM. Reason: repeat...computer hysteria.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumphigh83 View Post

THIS INFORMATION....I dont understand this computer...
                          There may not be new cases (this is unclear), but Chestnut Hill is absolutely under a state mandated quarantine. It is right there on the FL Dept of agriculture website. Nevertheless, Chestnut Hill's Facebook page indicates that they've been "laying low" because of a "questionable illness" at HITS and hope to get more showing in before they come home (to WI). You know, "laying low" vs. "state mandated quarantine." Almost the same thing, right?

Comment

• I believe the quarantine for Hard Ford Farm is related to being stabled in Tent 3.

It is my understanding they were stabled in Tent 3, removed their horses thus "opting" to quarantine at their home farm.

Comment

• http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge..._threaten.html
                              According to link above, they have quarantined 6 horses in New Orleans as well that left Ocala before the quarantine.Seems to me they are tracking down all those exposed in affecting stabling areas, better safe than sorry , I think..

Comment

• Yes, I agree that it's good they are tracking them down. Better late than never, I guess. I'm mostly just frustrated that some farms are not being straightforward about the quarantine. If you are quarantined but have no sick horses (or even if you do have sick horses), there is no shame in that. The shame is in being misleading, nonchalant, or outright lying about it.

Comment

• ^^^^AGREED!!!

Comment

• Ok guys, all of this contradicting information about EHV-1 is really stressing me out.

A girl from my barn had 2 horses at HITS Ocala, and I believe she showed both of them until around the 23rd of February (keeping her horses off site). After all of this EHV stuff went down, she stopped showing, but other horses at her barn still went to the show. She finally brought her horses home about a week ago and they stayed on an isolated part of our barn property until they were supposedly tested for EHV-1 by our vet. I assume the tests came back negative, because today she brought both of the horses back onto the main property, hacked around one of them while we were having a lesson, and then put them back in their normal stalls (and they are headed out with half of our barn to a show next week).

Now, I really really want to trust my trainers and vet (and there are many factors to this girl's situation that I do not know), but I have read SO much contradicting information about EHV-1, I can't help but fear the worst and be incredibly paranoid.

By now, it is too late, and my horses have already been completely exposed to her horses (despite my greatest efforts). I guess, more than anything, I am hoping someone will think I am being too paranoid and will reassure me that I should be fine.

I haven't really heard anything about the tests being inaccurate (nasal AND blood test combination, which I hope and assume were done), yet everyone still says you must quarantine.

How bad of a situation am I in? please break it to me easy

Comment

• Text of today's update from the Fl. Dept of Ag. (http://www.freshfromflorida.com)

EHV-1 Outbreak and Quarantine Information
                                      March 5, 2013
                                      Revised information is italicized

On February 20th, the Division of Animal Industry (DAI) was notified that a horse participating in the Horse Shows in the Sun (HITS) show in Ocala had been referred to the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine, after exhibiting clinical neurological signs. The horse tested positive for Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1), wild-type strain. That horse had been housed in Tent 7 on the HITS Showgrounds which prompted a quarantine of the tent. The horse remains at the university and is in stable condition.

DAI veterinarians began monitoring horses at HITS and tracing exposed horses that had left the showgrounds. As a result of the investigations, five additional horses were found to be positive for EHV-1. Those horses were housed in Tents 3 and 6 adjacent to Tent 7. One horse is under quarantine at Redfield Farm in Ocala. Four horses were placed under quarantine at Miles Away Farm in Loxahatchee. One of these four horses developed neurological signs and was transported to the University of Florida.

With concern that the outbreak was more widespread, the entire HITS Showgrounds was placed under quarantine on February 27th. Movement of horses on or off the showgrounds is prohibited. The quarantine will remain in effect for a minimum of 21 days from the last exposure (February 20th). Any horse showing febrile, respiratory, or neurological signs will be tested. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services’ personnel are manning the gates of the showgrounds 24 hours a day.

Another horse associated with the HITS Showgrounds, which never showed any clinical signs of EHV-1, has tested positive. This horse is located at Calder Farms in Ocala.

Additional exposed horses that had been stabled in Tents 3, 6 and 7 and moved prior to the HITS quarantine have been placed under quarantine around the state. The following is a list of facilities that are currently under quarantine.

Quarantined Farms/Premises**

· HITS Showgrounds, Ocala – Entire facility
                                      · Up Country Farm/Synergy Farm, Ocala
                                      · Montera Farm, Ocala
                                      · Flutterby Farm, Ocala
                                      · Foxwood Farms, Pinellas Park
                                      · Black Forest Farm, St. Augustine
                                      · POD-F Farm, Wellington
                                      · Brookmore Farm, Oviedo
                                      · Kings Ridge Farm, Reddick
                                      · Redfield Farm, Ocala
                                      · Miles Away Farm, Loxahatchee
                                      · Calder Farms, Ocala
                                      · Hard Ford Farm, Reddick
                                      · Chestnut Hill Farm (Wisconsin based farm, Ocala temporary location)

**The quarantines listed above do not necessarily encompass the entire premises.

Premises Released from Quarantine

· FEI tent at Wellington Showgrounds - February 28, 2013
                                      o The quarantine was initially placed due to two potentially exposed horses that had moved to the tent from Tequestrian Farm and subsequently moved back to Tequestrian Farm the same day. These horses were tested the next day and were negative for EHV-1. The quarantine was released due to these two horses being in the FEI tent for a short period of time and testing negative for the virus, indicating no exposure occurred.

· Tequestrian Farm - March 4, 2013
                                      o The farm was initially quarantined due a horse testing positive for EHV-1. This horse was imported from another state and isolated at the farm on arrival. No connection was made between this horse and the HITS Showgrounds’ EHV-1 cases. The horse never developed neurological signs and the quarantine was released after fourteen days with no evidence of transmission, no clinical signs on the farm, and all horses testing negative on the premises.

Known State Movement Restriction for Horses

· California requirements include a negative test for Equine Infectious Anemia, obtained within the six (6) months before date of entry, and a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) with a body temperature recorded for each horse in the shipment. Accredited veterinarians preparing CVIs are responsible for fulfillment of the temperature recording requirement.

We are advising horse owners and trainers to contact the venue of destination for any additional equirements prior to travel.

Recommendations for horses that have shown at HITS since February 5, 2013 include close monitoring of animals, reporting of fevers greater than 101.5o F (38.6oC) and strict bio-security measures for at least 21 days after departure from HITS.

We are asking all those in the equine community to practice prudent bio-security on their farm and to report any suspected cases of EHV-1. For reporting, you may call 850-410-0900 Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm and 1-800-342-5869 after hours and weekends.

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services will continue to work with HITS management, trainers, and veterinarians to ensure proper safeguards are taken to prevent further spread of the disease.

Frequent informational updates will be provided, so please continue to visit this Website regularly at:
                                      http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/.

Additional Resources:

More information on the Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1) can be found at the following
                                      Websites:

· American Association of Equine Practitioners,
                                      http://www.aaep.org/health_articles....irus+%28EHV%29
                                      · Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky,
                                      http://www.ca.uky.edu/gluck/BiblioEHV1.asp
                                      · University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine,
                                      http://extension.vetmed.ufl.edu/file...-June-2011.pdf

Bio-security information, to help reduce the risk of spread contagious and infectious
                                      diseases can be found at the following Websites:

· American Association of Equine Practitioners,
                                      http://www.aaep.org/pdfs/control_gui...ctions%201.pdf
                                      · United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection
                                      Service (USDA, APHIS),
                                      http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicatio...rity_final.pdf
                                      Old age is no place for sissies.
                                      Bette Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by JMRhorse View Post
                                        How bad of a situation am I in? please break it to me easy
                                        Ask your own vet !

Comment

• Now Cases in Northern Illinois?

I just found out that there may be cases in northern Illinois. This has not been confirmed, and was on FB only. Info said 2 cases (now deceased) in Gurnee. If anyone can provide information, please do. Thanks!
                                          Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

Comment

Working...
                                          X