• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Schooling apparel during the summer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schooling apparel during the summer

Okay, so this is going to sound like a dumb question, but what do you consider appropriate for riding apparel during the summer? By this I mean, do you personally think it's acceptable to ride in a tank top or cami--only when schooling at the barn-- if it's really hot?

The reason I ask is that the barn where I ride during the school year doesn't allow riders to wear tank tops, but I've never had a problem with that at the place I ride in the summer. It's just much more comfortable in the 100-degree heat to wear as little as possible, y'know? Anyway, what do you think? Would you ride in a tank top? Why/why not?
    My Blog of Photos and Random Anecdotes
    Proud owner of Jones: 15.3 HH Chestnut TB

it depends on the tank top, if its a super tight, low cut wifebeater then no I don't think its particularly apropriate. But if its higher rise and you're locked and loaded and not totally skin tight, then I think they are fine. I also wear cut up t-shirts to school during the summer, something that my trainer isn't overly excited about but I'm not flashing anyone and its not skin tight.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Comment

I wear tank tops all the time. We are athletes and should be allowed to wear athletic wear. People who can't see a little breast need to grow up and stop hating women so much!

Comment

If it's allowed at the barn and it's not too low, it's fine.
        Some barns have had issues with people wearing things too low and skimpy (I heard of a girl at a friend's barn that showed up to a lesson in a TUBE TOP!!!) and sometimes they have to implement rules against this.

Comment

Maybe I'm just getting old but I really don't feel appropriate riding in a tank top anymore. I love the EIS shirts (and those that are similar), and now that I've had a battle with skin cancer, I'm all about the full coverage. Plus no tan lines!
          Katie

Comment

Clearly, functionality is first and foremost - like, a tube top is absurd in my opinion because it's not functional. Lucky that girl didn't end up flashing everyone in the arena while she was riding! I run marathons so definitely agree that what's considered proper athletic gear should be acceptable in our sport. I personally ride in very supportive breathable tank tops on hot days at my current barn all the time because my trainer doesn't mind; however, I would never ride in a tank top at some of the other barns I've ridden at and would never EVER school in anything but a polo shirt at a horse show, no matter how hot it is. The fact of the matter is our sport has a strong sense of tradition. That's never going to go away. So, my advice is to follow your barn's rules or at the very least pay attention to what others wear on hot days. You're not going to be scoring any brownie points with your trainer if you're the only girl showing up to lessons in a tank top just because that is acceptable at your other barn. While it may seem impractical, it's a matter of respect. How you present yourself has a major impact on your reputation in any part of life. The same goes for the horse world. It's a bummer your barn doesn't allow tank tops, but you could look into some of the new tops different brands have been coming out with. I have some by Grand Prix, Animo, and Kingsland that are all really great for hot weather riding, and I know there are a bunch of other options out there. Unfortunately though, those tops don't help with awesome farmer tans.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowfox View Post
              People who can't see a little breast need to grow up and stop hating women so much!
              People who can't show some self respect in public need to grow up and stop being strident feminazis.

Comment

A barn I boarded at there was a no tank top rule more because of the potential for road-rash than because of modesty. The barn owner had seen a rider fall off in a tank top and then subsequently have to have a bunch of sand washed and picked out of their skin, so the rule was "shoulders covered".

Ever since then I have always stuck with it, both from a road-rash and sunburn perspective. In the right fabric I actually find something a little loose fitting with sleeves to be cooler anyways, it keeps the sun off!
                Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
                Like us on Facebook!

Comment

HA, I guess you should see me when it's 95 out and I'm riding in a tank top, shorts, and half chaps.

When I go to a lesson I wear a polo but at home I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

Although sometimes the truck drivers honk, but I think they'd turn tail if they could smell me after mucking stalls in July.
                  http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do you differentiate between "tank tops" and "sleeveless tops"? My favourite hot weather schooling attire is a yoga top (I have never been comfortable in super smushy "sports bras", and with a regular bra I spend more time pulling up bra straps than actually riding - yoga tops seem to do the job of a sports bra without the "smush" factor), covered by a sleeveless top. Not a tank, this is a microfibre top with a just slightly lower than crew neck neckline, but wide over the shoulders, with no sleeves. I've got two issues with mid bicep sleeves (1) they tickle my arms and I'm constantly tugging them up, (2) the dreaded farmer's tan. This is the one I wear: Columbia Anytime Sleeveless. I can't imagine anyone outside of a golf club (because it doesn't have a collar) finding that unacceptable. It fits loosely so kind of floats over the mid-section tightness of the yoga top that I would prefer no one noticed on my +50 year old "long-past-20yearold- body".
                    At its finest, rider and horse are joined not by tack, but by trust. Each is totally reliant upon the other. Each is the selfless guardian of the other's very well-being.
                    (Author Unknown)

Comment

Old photo but this is me and an old horse of mine hacking one summer. Tank top but it's not too low.

Comment

I ride in a polo shirt. If it's super hot and I have a lot to ride, I'll keep a spare one in my trunk so I can change afterward. No issue with sleeveless collared shirts, but I personally don't use them.
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                        Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

If you want to go sleeveless and conservative while maintaining some sort of tradition in a riding shirt, your best bet is to wear something like a Ralph Lauren sleeveless polo. Like this http://www.cheappoloshirtsonline.com...-Polo-navy.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by caballero View Post
                            People who can't show some self respect in public need to grow up and stop being strident feminazis.
                            So women who aren't ashamed that they are women and have breast have no self respect. Sounds like you may need to take some time and really think about that.

Comment

I ride in similar tops to ElisLove. I'm pretty small chested so there is zero chance of anything coming out. I ride at a high end facility but we have no dresscode and no one's ever said anything. Darnit, it's hot and I get pretty sweaty just walking around in the heat. There is nothing innapropriate about it so long as no cleavage is out and the straps can't slide down.

Comment

i school in t-shirts and thankfully have my barn and arena in mybackyard, so as soon as i'm done i can come in and change...i hate being sweaty. and dirty. people ask me all the time why i work with horses then.
                                Teaching Horseback Riding Lessons: A Practical Training Manual for Instructors

Stop Wasting Hay and Extend Consumption Time With Round Bale Hay Nets!!

Comment

I will wear tank tops if its home and just schooling. If its for a show I'll throw a polo on to school. I overheat easily in the summer and so I wear what I can stay the coolest in so I can focus on my horse and not worry about the heat.

For lessons I wear a polo tucked in with breeches and tall boots.

Comment

I want to invest in those sunshield shirts this summer. Those look nice and cool and protect your skin! (pale girl here).

I do school in tank tops. However, my tank tops are the wide band type from Old Navy or Target. Not the spaghetti straps. I am not flat chested by any means, but the tank tops I choose don't show cleavage it worn with a proper fitting sports bra.

I also always wear breeches (they are cooler than jeans anyway), tank top tucked in, a belt, hair up in helmet, and my boots are polished. I would say I look more presentable in a tank top then some people do in a polo or other sleeved shirt.

For lessons I always wear a polo shirt. They have new athletic wear material at a lot of sporting and golf stores (I get mine at my college apparel store) that is the lighter cool material.
                                    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
                                    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't like tank tops because I find watching someone's bare arms and shoulders very distracting. When I see someone riding in a tank top, I just cannot focus on their riding, other than their arms. I think it might be because pale skin contrasts with most colors, I'm not totally sure.

Also, I have seen some nasty falls while people were wearing tank tops. I assure you, they were never wearing tank tops again. Like was said above, the road rash is bad! I think it's best to cover as much skin as possible. I've definitely had a couple falls where lots of skin was pulled off, just from wearing a short sleeved polo. I can't imagine what it would be like on my chest, back, shoulders, ech. I almost always ride in long sleeves now, I have some of the Sunshield tops and such.

Also, I think cleavage is pretty inappropriate for the barn. A barn is a place of learning and should be treated as such. Now I know some ladies (not myself, unfortunately... flat as a board) can't control where the two gals go as much as some, but I do think that low cut tops are just ridiculous. I'm not really bothered by the thicker band tank tops as I am by spaghetti strap tops. I would never wear either to ride, and I grew up in south Louisiana.

By the way, I fully embrace myself and other members of my sex as women with womanly bodies. I just don't think the barn is the place to express this.

Comment

I only wear EIS shirts mostly for the reason that if I were to fall, I would rather not end up with horrible sand burn on my uncovered arms and neck and chest.
                                        Mendokuse

Comment

Working...
                                        X