• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Schooling apparel during the summer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only tank tops I wear (riding or not) are men's undershirts. I'm tall and overly blessed in the chest region. These are nice and long, and they're not low-cut at all. Plus they're super cheap.

My barn has the no-tank-tops rule because of road rash.
    I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

I am extremely modest by nature so I would never wear a tank top alone in public much less while riding. The closest I get is a yoga top when working out but it is closer to a sleeve less slight V neck shirt than a tank top.

I love picking up ralph lauren polos at consignment shops for next to nothing. They are well made and I don't feel bad if they get a stain or two. I have 5 or 6 that are several years old now and still look nice enough to lesson or clinic. This year I want to pick up a few technical polos for July/August to see if a wicking fabric helps out at all when it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity.

So my summer school apparel is polo tucked into breeches with tall boots unless it is an off day and I really need to do laundry in which case I'll go out in a lightly fitted t-shirt.

Even if you aren't worried about road rash, think about protecting your chest from sun damage. All of those years of exposure (even with sunblock) can lead to a lot of discoloration, wrinkles, etc. A higher necked sleeved shirt is a fool proof way to protect some of the more delicate areas from the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
        This year I want to pick up a few technical polos for July/August to see if a wicking fabric helps out at all when it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity.

Even if you aren't worried about road rash, think about protecting your chest from sun damage. All of those years of exposure (even with sunblock) can lead to a lot of discoloration, wrinkles, etc. A higher necked sleeved shirt is a fool proof way to protect some of the more delicate areas from the sun.
        As someone with several nice "wicking" UA tshirts bought specifically for summer riding, nothing works in midatlantic summers. Though I will still wear those for lessons.

Younger, I did sometimes ride in tank tops for schooling. I don't anymore, mainly out of concern for sun damage to my skin than anything else.
        A Year In the Saddle

Comment

I ride in equestrian tops (UA for winter) and exclusively Kerrits for sleeveless. They have all the athletic advantages of the technical fabrics and have coverage where it should be. I find I stay cooler without sleeves, don't know why, but in the same exact shirt (like a ventilator) if I push up my sleeves to make it like sleeveless, I'm cooler.

My riding bra is an Enell bra, and it probably keeps me hotter because of all the thick fabric and coverage. There's also no way you could nicely wear a spaghetti or thick strap tank with it and not look ridiculous. Plus, there's no bounce with this bra - I do find that VERY distracting to see and it tends to happen more obviously in spaghetti tops.
          Last edited by shadowanne; Feb. 20, 2013, 04:15 AM. Reason: clarity
          2leftsocks.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snowfox View Post
            So women who aren't ashamed that they are women and have breast have no self respect. Sounds like you may need to take some time and really think about that.
            You argue like a child, calling misogynists anyone who thinks that some modesty in public (from both genders) is called for.

I don't need to take any time to think about anything but it sounds like you need some time to grow up.

Comment

To keep this on topic, I buy inexpensive synthetic golf shirts from department stores for summer riding. They wick like crazy, aren't clingy, dry very rapidly, and usually cost $30 or less.

Comment

Highly recommend LL Bean for cheap-o polo shirts. Scour the clearance sales, I usually manage to find long and short sleeve polos, some in technical fabrics, for under $10.

For you tall people - they also have tall sizes so the vertically blessed can still tuck their shirts in!

Comment

I miss the point of a tank top now days. The kids I see riding in the spaghetti strap style usually have two tank tops on. How is it cooler to wear two layers?

A polo shirt made of modern athletic fabrics is not anywhere near as warm as wearing two layers.

Comment

I do not personally ride in spaghetti strap tank tops. The farm that hosted our college IHSA team did not permit them. When some of our riders complained, I recounted the true story of Ashley- name changed to protect the innocent- who face-planted after leaping up the neck at a fence. She slid across the ring on her chest. Her tank top and bra were both pushed below her breasts and she had sand rash in a very uncomfortable place. Did I mention this was at a horse show on schooling day and she now needed to put her shirt back on in front of a rather large audience?

And that, ladies, is either why you don't wear tank tops, or why you don't jump up the horse's neck.

I personally don't find them supportive enough for sitting trot, either. But I have no problem with schooling in the ribbed non-spaghetti strap variety over a bra provided it covers the bra. I'm not into showing everybody my underwear.
                    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                    Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

I don't mind tank tops, but my trainer dislikes them for her riders, so out of courtesy to her, I don't wear them. I like to wear sleeveless polos during the summer. They are cool and look good. My trainer has no objection to these.
                      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

I forgot to add golf shirts are actually perfect for riding. Are midatlantic summers hotter than Southern summers? Because I've always been perfectly cool in a EIS shirt and it gets to be 1099028390839012093128390839018039809 + humidity down here sometimes, not even kidding.
                        And honestly I have mark just fading from getting road rash when I face planted a month ago, it's unsightly and it hurt really bad. It's much easier to just cover up. You don't see men riding around without their shirts on, or with a tank top, so it's not a feminism thing. (and if you do, I suggest you move to a barn with a little more class, that's dangerous). I don't care what we wear in public when not in a sports environment, (go topless for all I care, just wear what you'd like) but riding in a tank top is dangerous and provides lots of opportunity for boob slips.
                        Also speaking from experience, it hurts horribly when a horse grabs the back of a spaghetti strap and snaps it.
                        Mendokuse

Comment

Tanks when on my farm and nice pools when lessoning or off the property.

So greatful to get to ride!

Comment

Originally posted by HJStyleReport View Post
                            Maybe I'm just getting old but I really don't feel appropriate riding in a tank top anymore. I love the EIS shirts (and those that are similar), and now that I've had a battle with skin cancer, I'm all about the full coverage. Plus no tan lines!
                            I second this. My trainer also doesn't allow us to, but I also feel that it looks more professional schooling in something other than a tank top. I normally wear a very light cotton, form fitting shirt or a polo so I am still comfortable and so my trainer can still point out any equitation flaws that you can't see in a loose fitting t-shirt. The EIS shirts are worth their weight in gold. I have borrowed one from a friend before and fell in love.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterrider23 View Post
                              I forgot to add golf shirts are actually perfect for riding. Are midatlantic summers hotter than Southern summers? Because I've always been perfectly cool in a EIS shirt and it gets to be 1099028390839012093128390839018039809 + humidity down here sometimes, not even kidding.
                              It's pretty much the same. DC is August is the most miserable place on earth. I've never found anything, from any fancy outdoor sportswear manufacturer that will do anything to keep you "cool" because the fabrics supposedly cool by wicking the sweat away from your body, cooling by evaporation. Except when it's 95% humidity, there's nowhere for the moisture to evaporate to. Other than the fabrics being lighter than cotton, I don't notice any appreciable difference between a UA /Columbia/Patagonia technical fabric shirt and the $8 cotton polo from Old Navy, other than the price Yet since I've shelled out for them in the hope that they do something, I figure I might as well keep wearing them!
                              A Year In the Saddle

Comment

My trainer doesn't allow tank tops and camisoles in lessons, collar and short sleeves are the minimum and I have to say I agree with her for several reasons, including that it just looks neater and more professional, protects from sun and road rash in the event of a fall. Two of the other trainers at my barn teach in shorts, tank tops and other inappropriate apparel and I have to say they look messy and unprofessional, my trainer is always suitably attired in the event she has to get on a horse during a lesson.

Comment

I have no problem schooling in a tank top. I get mine from Garage and they fit great and keep me cool.

I also ride in jeans and tall boots, so fashion clearly isn't priority.
                                  Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by Chic Hunter View Post
                                    Tanks when on my farm and nice pools when lessoning or off the property.
                                    I would love a 'pool' to hop into after a hot ride, unfortunately we don't have that luxury so I will stick with a tank top

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesbug View Post
                                      Okay, so this is going to sound like a dumb question, but what do you consider appropriate for riding apparel during the summer? By this I mean, do you personally think it's acceptable to ride in a tank top or cami--only when schooling at the barn-- if it's really hot?

The reason I ask is that the barn where I ride during the school year doesn't allow riders to wear tank tops, but I've never had a problem with that at the place I ride in the summer. It's just much more comfortable in the 100-degree heat to wear as little as possible, y'know? Anyway, what do you think? Would you ride in a tank top? Why/why not?
                                      Actually most of the newer technical fabrics available will keep you cooler than bare skin; try a polo made for golf or tennis (frequently available at discount stores, so needn't cost a fortune.)

I personally think a cami or tank top is not appropriate schooling attire, unless perhaps you are riding in your own backyard. The barns I've boarded and trained at have not allowed them for both the previously mentioned safety issues (road rash etc) but also because "wearing as little as possible" was just not considered appropriate.

That said, I don't think there is anything wrong with a conservatively cut sleeveless polo. In fact, I think a nicely tailored sleeveless polo - with a collar - is a very nice look with a pair of breeches.
                                      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

My guys are at home so I have been known to ride even in a lesson at home in a tank top and shorts and half chaps. Trainers have never minded as long as I could ride just as well in them. It's very rare that I do though. I do however always ride in a tank top in summer. It's my house so I do what I want. Now when i use to board I never wore shorts to ride at the barn and I would wear tank tops all the time but they were not short or low or tight. At a show I never would wear one to school even. Always a polo.
                                        Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Just to add I have rode in a bathing suit before. But, I was in Mexico and it was a beach ride and swimming with the horses so everyone that went in the water had one on. I will say it was not comfortable at all! Lol
                                          Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Working...
                                          X