• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Should I buy a horse trailer? I need advice!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a horse trailer? I need advice!

Just like title says, I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a horse a trailer. Up until now, I've been transporting my horse to/from the shows on my trainer's trailer with one of her horses. She charges commercial rates for the transporation, so the situation is fair and working out okay.

However, I am planning on showing more this year and, just looking at her judging/showing schedule, I can easily see where I may want to go to/from the shows apart from her. Plus, we have run into a couple of situations where it was a challenge to take all the lesson horses as well as my horse to the show, particularly bigger shows. In addition, I take my husband to the shows with me and he really does not enjoy hanging around all day when I'm finished before noon.

All that said, horse trailers are EXPENSIVE! I have the vehicle and one large horse so I need a 2H, WB, BP model. I was looking at Hawk trailers with a dressing room and it seems like it's going to cost me about $15k by the time all is done. There are less expensive trailers but not appreciably, in NJ anyway.

Anyway, what do you think ... is this a bit much for the extra convenience? We can afford it, but it will be tight and divert funds from paying off other things. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have an Eclipse...and I punted on a lot of the details like a dressing room, etc. I think when all was said and done my trailer was about $9500 new.

There are folks that say Eclipse isn't good, but mine is 2 yrs old now and it is fine. Pulls great behind my hemi Jeep and the price was right.

Mine has saddle racks, etc in it, just not a separate room, which also helped cut the trailer weight down.

I finally bought one when I decided to start hacking out with friends who had their own trailers. It was so much easier to decide on a place when they weren't always trucking to me or coming to pick me up.
    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

I justified my trailer by the fact that I would be able to save some money. It would cost me less in shipping, I could come and go as I please to whatever shows I wanted to attend, AND if there was space, I can sometimes throw another horse from my farm on my truck (which means barn owner can take an extra child, she just credits my account with the shipping amount) Also, don't limit yourself, try looking at prices around the country and on craigslist etc. There can be some good deals on there as well.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/3623307466.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/3534347660.html

Comment

Go for it. You will be so much happier once you have your own, and even if you don't trail ride, all kind of fun offsite horsey opportunities will become possible -- including being able to haul your own horse to a veterinary clinic in an emergency when you can't find anyone else to do it!!!

I believe you can finance a trailer like a boat, that is, over a long (think 20-year) period, which would get your payments down. Depending on what your tow vehicle is used for, consider whether you could live without the dressing room. I have a dressing room (Featherlite stock, I am a crazy foxhunting person and I can put two horses and a large pony in there), but I have found it much easier to just throw the tack in the back seat of my crew-cab pickup truck. Whenever I can get a new trailer, I will get the same floor length, but without the dressing room -- I'll store what I have to in the gooseneck overhang, and keep using the back seat of the truck for the other. Realize that may not work for you.
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Easy-K...22998204542511
        http://www.easykeeperfarm.com

I can ride my horses without a sharps container.

Comment

Are you going to buy one new or used? There are plenty of nice used trailers out there. For instance, in 2005 I found a nice 2004 Sundowner trailer. It was barely used and I bought it off someone who couldn't afford to keep up with the payments on it. I would have paid considerably more if I had bought that brand new! In fact, I could still probably sell it today for close to what I paid for it almost 8 years ago!!

I have never regretted buying the trailer. I have the freedom to go and do what I like when I like
          ALP
          "The Prince" aka Front Row
          Cavalier Manor

Comment

I'll gladly enable I agree with others look for used and other models like an Adams that might be a little less. It's also good to have for an emergency or going to a clinic somehwere.
            Epona Farm
            Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I'm w/ Horsetales - I'm more than happy to enable you! Go for it!

Whether buying new or used buy a high quality trailer that you can envision keeping for a long, long time. My rig (truck-trailer combo) is one of my favorite possessions. Having your own trailer gives you freedom, piece of mind in case of emergencies, and convenience. Being able to go to shows, clinics or just trail rides whenever you want is just fun.

Comment

Speaking as someone who stretched finances to buy a trailer... I say go for it! Like you, we had a truck and found a great deal on a bumper pull. You don't need the latest and greatest trailer, just a safe and well maintained one. You should be able to find a good one on horsetrailerworld.comor Craigslist fairly easily if you move quickly and have cash in hand.

Comment

I love love LOVE my Hawk. It is so nice to be able to hook up and go wherever you want whenever and not have to work with other people's schedules.

Comment

I say go for it too! I was just looking at charges on a local trainer's site for travelling to shows and it was a $75 loading fee plus $1 per mile for the first 150. Even if showing locally I can trailer myself for that much or so. It cost me $84 to fill up the tank on my truck and if it's local I know that I won't use the whole tank. I didn't have much of a budget when it came time to buy (it took YEARS to even be allowed the 2k I had to buy one!) I knew kind of what I wanted though and just happened upon one. I knew I didn't want a slant unless for some reason there was one in my budget, they freak me out for some reason, I don't like loading and unloading in them. I wanted one like my friend had which was a straight load but had no mangers in front so in front of the horses was completely open. I had a mare at the time that wasn't too keen on loading so I figured that would help. I didn't want a ramp but I ended up with one which wasn't a problem once we figured out that the reason I couldn't get the ramp up by myself was because the mat on it weighed about 100lbs plus the weight of the ramp itself and I weigh 95lbs. So we took the mat off and will replace it with a textured paint stuff we saw at the Home Depot. It needs a little work on the steel as it used to live in Florida and some of the metal has started to rot but otherwise it's great! The shell is Aluminum so it's nice and light and since I tend to haul only 1 horse I use the space next to the horse (divider is solid to the floor) and in front of the second stall for tack and supplies.

Comment

it's not that expensive

I bought my whole rig (truck and trailer) for $6k and I have a nice BP slant with dressing room
                      you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. the peace of mind is priceless
                      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Go for it, but find a *used* trailer. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Skip the bells and whistles -- a stock trailer will get you there just fine.
                        --
                        Wendy
                        ... and Patrick

Comment

Do it. While you'd have to show nearly every weekend for years to have it financially advantageous to buy a new trailer, the peace of mind, the flexibility, and the convenience make it all worth it. I got an RV loan to buy a good quality but older aluminum 2H WB BP (Equisprit) and my payments are less than 150/month. I can go to different shows from the rest of the barn, meet up with friends for trail rides, and/or go off to lessons/clinics whenever I want. Totally worth it for those reasons alone, but I really appreciate the safe feeling I have knowing I can move my horses in an emergency. Happy Shopping!
                          A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Skip the bells and whistles -- a stock trailer will get you there just fine.
                            Yep. Start small. I bought mine new, and it's done a good eight years. I just upgraded to a big 3/4 horse gooseneck aluminium thing, with dressing room and living quarters and all that jazz, but it's intimidating to haul, even after 8 years hauling the BP ! I can't imagine why you would spend close to 15k on your first BP trailer, LOL if they're that super expensive in NJ, then drive down to TN or KY an pick something up for 3 or 4k - if the price difference is that much my goodness, you can give up your day job and just run trailers up there and sell them !

Comment

We have an Eclipse and really enjoy it. Really not expensive with lots of feature.

Call the retailers and ask for last year models, and don't be shy to deal it!
                              ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                              I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                              HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Best thing I have ever done. Because I have my own transport, I have dabbled in so many fun things that I would not have been able to if I had to rely on my trainer to transport. Go for it. I bought an Adams trailer and have been very happy with it. It is nine years old and still going strong.

Comment

Having your own trailer ROCKS!! No more waiting around for hours for other horses to finish showing before being able to leave (biggest reason, right here), no having to arrange for trailering for getting your horse to a vet clinic for any reason, you can leave a lot of your show stuff in the trailer so less loading and unloading.
                                  We bought our first used bumper pull for 5000 dollars with a tack room I could change in, and it worked fine (We found out a year after we bought it that the guy who sold it to us had actually stollen it so we had to give it to the RCMP, then buy it back from them, haha) Then bought a nice aluminum trailer new, for about 15k I think.

Comment

It is really nice to be able to go where you want, when you want.

Financially, it's not a great move. In addition to the cost of the trailer, you're going to pay gas and maintenance. When I lived in the city, I had to pay a storage fee to keep it at the barn.

On the other hand, I was able to save money by using my trailer as a tack room at shows rather than paying for a tack stall, I kept the show specific stuff in the trailer instead of in my own bedroom closet, I was able to skip the agonizing task of trying to hire a trailer when I wanted to go places, and I was able to go to clinics and shows that otherwise would have been impossible.

And, I probably paid for my trailer when I used it to move our stuff instead of hiring movers.

To get the right used trailer, you'll have to wait and be patient. There is also the consideration of gas money to look at trailers.... too many long trips will eat your savings, especially where I live. But if you have the time, and if the trailer you want isn't too unusual, the used trailer will save you a lot of money.
                                    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I have a horse gooseneck stock trailer tall enough that my friend's Percheron used to ride in it. I paid about $6000 for it used and love it. It winds up costing me nothing additional to take my horse to a show by the time I take two others with me.

Having my own trailer is the best. I'll never go without one again.

Comment

Go for it. Trailers last forever if you buy a good one. It will pay for itself over time. And you will LOVE being able to finish your last class and hitting the road. We do some local shows where the adults go first and I can be home at 10:30. Makes the DH much happier when we can head out and do something non-horse related.

Comment

Working...
                                        X