• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Senior horses showing at AA shows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for this thread. My girl turns 17 next week and has been acting like a much younger horse -- this gives me so much hope that we'll have many more years together.
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Rel6 View Post
      My first 3ft horse was an 18 y/o TB. The only thing rusty about him were his brakes...I came out of the ring for my last class and commented to my trainer "well I guess he doesn't get tired!"

He showed for a few more years after that too before being retired do to a heart murmur.
      My barn used to have a wonderful TB schoolie. He was just a plain little 15.2 bay, didn't look like anything fancy, but MAN did he love to jump. He used to rip around the schooling 2'6-2'9 and would just get faster and faster with each class. Ears pricked, having the time of his life. At one show, the gate person told my trainer not to worry because "those TBs all get so much calmer when they get older."

My trainer, bless her heart, said to the woman, "He's 26, how much older can he get?" Gotta love those old campaigners that love their job!
      I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

I had a wonderful horse that showed at the highest level with many wins in the A/O hunters until he was 20. Then he did the Adults for a year before retiring.
        www.midatlanticeq.com
        Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
        November 11-13, 2016

Comment

My little appy was still eventing at 21 at the novice (3ft) level. The only reason I retired him was I ran out of people for him to teach!

He'll be 27 in April, and I hope to put him back into some kind of work, even if it is just bopping around the farm, this spring.
          Amanda

Comment

Way back in the late 80s, my first AA horse out of college was a 22 year old TB who was well known in our area, and had been extremely sucessful in the Jrs and Regs. His name was Good Tidings, and by the time I got him, he could still buck anybody off anytime he chose. They'd tried to retire him, and he didn't like it. I would never had gotten a horse of that caliber otherwise. It worked great for both of us!
            The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

One word for you: Lyle. He's 20+ now and still winning everything in the Juniors.

Comment

My sis's former Jr/AO jumper mare is 21 and is packing (errrr, dragging) my hunter princess ass around the low schooling jumpers. I hope to move up to the child/adults this year. She LOVES to show. Hates to be left home.

My goal is to get my TB hunter back in the show ring this year. I have owned him since he was 3 fresh off the track and hauled him all over the country doing the Jrs, A/Os and then adults. Due to my finances he had to stay home the past 5ish years but is ready to head back in the 3' ring now as a 20 year old. Had him flexed and xrayed during his annual check up last year and the vet said he would have passed most any PPE. Plays harder than any horse on the farm. I keep waiting on him to start acting his age!

At 32 years old I need more maintenance/meds than the 2 above horses!
                Animals are not disposable!!!
                http://www.pawsnela.org

Comment

My 22yr old TB is still showing...this season will do Novice eventing, some dressage and Adult W-T with a friend who's beginning...He's healthy lots of go left so I dont see why not....

Comment

My mare is 18 and will be doing the 1.45m stuff this summer with a few of the smaller GPs thrown in. She thinks she's about 8.
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                    Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

I am currently riding and showing my trainers 22 year old hunter. While his legs look like they really shouldn't be strong....(think large old old bows on both fronts, from before trainer got him at 4), they have never caused him any issues due to proper care and management. You would never dream of doing the undersaddles with him as he moves "like a bulldog" but over fences..........dreamy and still at 22, unbeatable! I adore him.
                      Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Comment

I have a barn mate that purchased an older horse by mistake. He was originally described as 6, then the PPE vet said 13-ish, then after purchase she was able to figure out the faint tattoo and realized he was 18 which was confirmed by his regular vet. Sigh.

He is an awesome horse, and quite honestly, the perfect horse for her. She has a one week on, one week off type work schedule, so she rides 3-4 times during the off week and then he gets lots of turn out the on week. It's the perfect program for his older self (and one many younger horses wouldn't tolerate). He's sound, he's happy and I'm a bit jealous.
                        Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                        Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Originally posted by RugBug View Post
                          I have a barn mate that purchased an older horse by mistake. He was originally described as 6, then the PPE vet said 13-ish, then after purchase she was able to figure out the faint tattoo and realized he was 18 which was confirmed by his regular vet. Sigh.
                          This is similar to what happened with a horse I leased way back when. Family bought him as a 12 year old, or so they were told, and then changed trainers and horse didn't work in that program. I leased him, and followed up a bit on his history, contacting an old owner, getting his Jockey Club name (tattoo was illegible), etc. Instead of 12, he was 17. While I was leasing him, another gal bought him, but continued to let me half lease and show him. He was a great horse. Moved like a sewing machine, so no hack points for him if there were more horses than ribbons (or someone got bucked off!). But great jump, honest, and I had so much fun with him. He won in some pretty darn good company and I made it to more shows with him than I did with all the younger, supposedly sounder horses I bought for myself after him! He showed into his early 20s, then the owner moved him closer to her and I lost track, but last heard he was doing dressage (never would have expected that) in his late 20s.

I think part of the key with him was keeping him going - he got regular exercise 6 days a week and turnout every day. Not a lot of jumping, he didn't need it, but just keeping him limber. We weren't into all the maintenance that happens now. I can't remember ever injecting anything with him - he got oral joint supplements, a bit of bute at the shows outside (hard ground), and plain old steel shoes (aluminum was a waste on a mover like him!). What a great old campaigner he was -- and it was especially fun beating the amateurs from the barn that kicked him out to pasture as he didn't fit their program!

Comment

Working...
                          X